PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic vs Electrical Parade

Pages : [1] 2

yen
09-13-2003, 05:31 PM
I will be at DL 9/21/03 PM with my husband, mother-in-law, my son (2) and daughter (4).

I can choose Fantasmic at 9PM or Electrical Parade at 8PM.

9PM is my kid's bedtime. But this is vacation, we can always make exception.

Of those that been to both, I like your opinion as to which one to go if you have to choose one or the other.

The main factor probably which one will the kid enjoy more.

Thanks.

MammaSilva
09-13-2003, 06:14 PM
I'd vote for the Electrical parade, not because of bedtimes, but because of their ages.. for Fantasmic you are going to have to camp out for a significant amount of time to get decent seats/view... the parade .. you can walk up as it's about to start and find great places to watch. Fantasmic has some intense 'scary' parts for the younger crowd and the view is a bit further away since most of the action is on TSI or on the water, because of the layout at DCA you're up close and personal to the parade and there aren't any scary parts at all, no loud explosions to startle them.

Captain Josh
09-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by MammaSilva
I'd vote for the Electrical parade, not because of bedtimes, but because of their ages.. for Fantasmic you are going to have to camp out for a significant amount of time to get decent seats/view... the parade .. you can walk up as it's about to start and find great places to watch. Fantasmic has some intense 'scary' parts for the younger crowd and the view is a bit further away since most of the action is on TSI or on the water, because of the layout at DCA you're up close and personal to the parade and there aren't any scary parts at all, no loud explosions to startle them.

I dunno about you, but the Dumbo floats sort of creep me out......

MammaSilva
09-13-2003, 06:27 PM
Welll ok... let me rephrase, there is NO evil Queen NO dragon (except Elliot) to scare the little ones.. no loud explosions, No Captain Hook fighting Peter Pan...don't get me wrong I LOVE Fantasmic.. I just know when I'm taking the younger ones, I've had much better times at the parade since I didn't spend much time reasuring them things were ok....

Elly
09-13-2003, 06:48 PM
I totally agree. The Electrical Parade is a much more relaxed experience. Save Fantasmic for when they are a bit older.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-13-2003, 06:48 PM
MammaSilva may be right about all that. I'm not a parent. If your kids do not like loud noises or surprises, yeah, take them to see the EP.

But my personal take is that Fantasmic is incredible. It's an absolute spectacle. Where else are you going to see the things you see in Fantasmic? It's a once in a lifetime type thing. If your kids are cool with it, they'll absolutely love it!

I don't know if Yen wants to know all the spoilers, so I'll mask them here - look if you wish.

Where else are you going to see a humongous dragon that breathes real fire? Or Peter Pan battle Hook on a life size sailing ship? Or about a hundred different characters at once on the Twain?

As much as I love the joy of the EP, Fantasmic takes my breath away.

Tiki Junki
09-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Tough Choice. I would vote ELP.

Why? Because I can still remember being 6 years old, waiting on the curb of Main Street for the fanfare and all the lights blinking out, then straining my neck to catch the first glimmer of blue that told me the Blue Fairy was coming to make the night magical.

I have a 4 yr old and a 9 month old. Our oldest saw the ELP last year and still talks about it. We will be going next month and ELP is on the top of the "I want to see" list.

That said, because we know our son is pretty hearty on the loud noise/scary scale, we are taking him to see Fantasmic this time. However, we did the big splurge and paid for balcony seating. With the infant, we just didn't feel there would be a tolerance level for staking out a seat two hours in advance. This way, we arrive only 45 min or so ahead and can get settled, have a snack and watch the show.

If you only get to do one, ELP is a perfectly wonderful choice and one that the kids will happily remember. OH...one more thing. Consider getting something that glows, spins, lights up or whatever. Preferably before you go. The Disney Store sells the spinning light up Buzz's and Woody's. The park has the exact same ones, but for more money. Why get one? As we sat on the curb before the parade, all the kids were holding their spinning glowing thing. My son, looked into our eyes and asked, Mama, where is our spinner. I want to be part of the parade too." Usually, my husband and I are pretty immune to the "I want" pleas but we could see that this was one of those moments that could cost dearly in therapy later. "Everyone had the glowing thing, but me." So I dashed into the nearest store, found one, literally threw the cash on the counter as I dashed out and it was in my son's hand as the first chords of the music began. For the record, we still have it, have used it for the past 2 Fourth of July's (Got the patriotic one), one Disney On Ice and it's coming with us on our next DLR trip. One of the few goodies that has proven useful.

yen
09-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Tiki Junki

OH...one more thing. Consider getting something that glows, spins, lights up or whatever. Preferably before you go. The Disney Store sells the spinning light up Buzz's and Woody's.

Thank you for the tip. Guess I better get it whether I go to Fantasmic or Electrical Parade.

Comn on, I like to hear more opinions. Thank you.

SteveK
09-13-2003, 08:38 PM
Two points of view here:

Children - I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and they get pretty scared watching Fantasmic but absolutely love the Electrical Parade. I think it helps that they've watched the official disney Electrical Parade video about 1000 times.

Me - I would pick fantasmic over the Electrical parade any day. I think Fantasmic is the best "non-ride" entertainment thing Disney has ever created. I'm simply blown away by it every time I see it. The parade is a classic piece of Disney history but Fantasmic shows that Disney has the ability to create incredible entertainment experiences that no one else can touch. Now, if they only had the budgets to do more, just think what we could have.

-Steve

yen
09-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by SteveK

Children - I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and they get pretty scared watching Fantasmic but absolutely love the Electrical Parade. I think it helps that they've watched the official disney Electrical Parade video about 1000 times.
-Steve

Steve, how do I get that EP video ?

So far, looks like I should go to Electrical Parade. But, let me do a search and read more about it first.

Disneyfreak
09-13-2003, 10:49 PM
What are you guys on, FANTASMIC ALL THE WAY YOU CANT MISS IT, Plus you have Believe right after it which makes a perfect combination. I think the electrical parade is boring compared to fantasmic. You wont regret seeing fantasmic. Here is the video and Digital Photos of

Fantasmic- http://disneylandsource.com/main/fant.html (SPOILER)(Video full show and digital photos!)

Electrical Parade- http://disneylandsource.com/dca/today.html (Video only)

MammaSilva
09-13-2003, 11:09 PM
umm obviously you've been skimming.. Believe is on hiatus until the holidays.... and No one is arguing that Fantasmic isn't all that and a bag o chips because we all agree it is.. but the OP's question here is about what would be better for a 2 and 4 year old...and that shifts the whole process around.. typically the intense fight scenes between Mickey and the Villians are too intense for toddlers, the noise from the pryo startles and scares many of them. Does it mean the EP is a 'better' show no, it doesn't mean that, it means that as a parent.. she wants to know which show her children are more likely to enjoy and remember fondly ... a goal we tend to work for as parents taking our children on vacation.

One example of a small child's reaction to Fanastmic... I had my niece there when she was five.. we had spent the day in the park (no DCA then) we fed duckies all day long ..... that night we settled in to watch Fantasmic... when the RoA 'catches' on fire, she got hysterical.. because she KNEW that the duckies were being burned .... no amount of "logic" could calm her down and one of the adults in the group had to leave with her in consideration of the guests around us.... another trip we had my soon to be 3 year old nephew, the noise alone had him screaming in fear.. once again an adult left the area with him for the comfort of other guests.

Granted NOT all small children react this way, but based on those experiences, my advise would still be go to DCA watch the EP....wait til they are a bit older to enjoy Fanstamic.

Disneyfreak
09-13-2003, 11:28 PM
I was 6 when i saw the show and I was perfectly fine. Sorry I forgot believe is not showing now.

MammaSilva
09-13-2003, 11:39 PM
I'm glad you had a good experience when you were six. but six isn't a two year old toddler either.....like I said "not all kids" have issues with the various aspects of the show. What the OP is trying to determine based on everyones input and her knowledge of her children which of the two HER children are more likely to enjoy most.

MonorailMan
09-13-2003, 11:51 PM
Survey Says...

Electical Parade: 5
Fantasmic!: 3

:D

I would say the Electrical Parade. Just remember, if you go to Fantasmic!, and the kids don't like it, it's not like you have another option. Play it safe, and go to the DEP. ;) :D

Disneyfreak
09-14-2003, 12:11 AM
Well look at the photos and pics and you make the decision if your kids can handle it or not. I guess im looking at it from an adult standpoint. But if you think your kids can handle it then by all means see fantasmic. Just to tell you my moms boss designed the water effects and water screen on fantasmic. Here is the company. (Water Resources) Each of the nausels on the water screens cost $25,000 and they are imported from europe. The last refurbishment they replaced them all.

www.rbf.com

SteveK
09-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by yen
Steve, how do I get that EP video ?

So far, looks like I should go to Electrical Parade. But, let me do a search and read more about it first.

I bought mine two years ago at the Disney Character Warehouse, an outlet that was located in Corona, California. They still have a store in Fullerton (not far from Disneyland) but I have not seen the video there in some time. I'll check this week again for you.
-Steve

Cadaverous Pallor
09-14-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
I guess im looking at it from an adult standpoint.Disneyfreak, I totally understand what you're thinking. My first reaction was the same - Fantasmic is way more impressive. It's hard for non-parents to think of things in terms of working around children.

Besides, my parents weren't the kind of people that thought of such things so us kids were always in the thick of everything. We were rather brave kids anyway and loved firework shows etc. I can't say if it's due to genetics or if it's how we were raised or what.

In any case I hope my kids are the brave kind. I'd probably take them to see loud shows and such and see how they react. If they really have problems, I guess I'll accomodate.

Not Afraid
09-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Besides, my parents weren't the kind of people that thought of such things so us kids were always in the thick of everything. We were rather brave kids anyway and loved firework shows etc. I can't say if it's due to genetics or if it's how we were raised or what.

That's something I've always wondered. I was never afraid of ride, shows, parades, characters, etc. If it was fantasy, I was loving it. The only think that ever made me squeemish was the fire in Bambi and the fire at the end of pirates. Somehow or other, I took those scenes and truned them into real-life fears. But, other than that, I have never been afraid of anything.

My opinion, if your child has fears, don't take them to Fantasmic - yet.

yen
09-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by MammaSilva
for Fantasmic you are going to have to camp out for a significant amount of time to get decent seats/view

Originally posted by Tiki Junki
didn't feel there would be a tolerance level for staking out a seat two hours in advance

For that, I probably choose the parade.

After viewed video of the 2 shows. I know I prefer to see Fantasmic if it is for me and I believe my kids can handle it.
But, I want to play it safe. And, since it will be their first night and first time at DL, I will go for the "rerlaxed experience" that Elly mentioned.

There is always a next time. May be I will go for the big splurge and paid for balcony seating since I do not like to stake out a seat well in advance too.

Thanks for all your comments on Fantasmic. Who knows, may be the other 2 adults in the party might vote to go to Fantasmic. If they do, they will be the adult in the group that have to leave with the kids if things does not work out and they have to stake out seat while I have fun. I had my share.

ralfrick
09-15-2003, 01:43 PM
I would say the EP, but not for the reasons that have been stated. If you get a spot near the entry gates, then after the parade ends there will be over 30 minutes before the start of Fantasmic so you have the OPTION of seeing that as well. If everyone's too tired, then don't bother. If you get to NOS and don't like the spot you'll get, you can bail. If you're staying nearby and some are tired but others aren't, you can devide and conquer. Note that you'll almost certainly be standing if you stick around, which will mean holding the kids; your call. However, you'll also be farther from the "scary" stuff.

As for fear, you know better than anyone what you kids can take. Some 2 year olds might take it better than 4 year olds because they haven't really grasped what witches and such are all about yet. And, of course, you can prepare them by saying "this is a show where the bad guys try to stop Mickey's good dream, but he stops them." I taped the whole show when my boy was 5, and my favorite part of the tape is when he yells "Yeah for Mickey!" after the dragon is vanquished; I'm getting chills thinking about it now.

Doodle Duck
09-15-2003, 10:09 PM
ELP.
You can see it with having other guests share your shorts. And..it's a real happy dazzling thing they will never forget.

Tiki Junki
09-16-2003, 06:54 AM
One question, if you are going for one day, are you going to have a hopper pass? The ELP is in DCA, it's no longer on Main Street.
I may be stating the blinding obvious, and I apologize, but I do know some folks who didn't realize their one day tickets did not entitle them to visit both parks, or that the ELP was not in Disneyland.

A final plug for the ELP. It is a little more interactive for the littles. As all Disney parades, Characters waving, coming up close to tease and make your kids laugh.

yen
09-16-2003, 09:12 AM
No, I go more than 1 day. Here's my schedule:
9/21/03, Legoland day, Disneyland evening
9/22/03, Character meal at Goofy's Kitchen AM
9/22/03 - 9/24/03 Disneyland Resort (Aladin at DCA, Billy and the Hillbillies?, ...)
Thanks.

yen
09-16-2003, 09:18 AM
And, Sunday at Disneyland was not scheduled. But, when I found out that Sunday is the only day during out trip to see Fantasmic or ELP, that's when I start asking. Thanks.