PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Sutton named Executive Chef, Disneyland Resort Signature Restaurants

AVP
10-18-2013, 03:38 PM
I got word earlier today, and Disney has just confirmed, that Andrew Sutton has been named Executive Chef, Disneyland Resort Signature Restaurants. Sutton came to the Disneyland Resort in 2001 to open Napa Rose, and most recently was named executive chef for Napa Rose and Carthay Circle Restaurants as part of the DCA expansion project.

In his new role, Sutton will oversee Napa Rose, Carthay Circle and Club 33. We're not sure exactly where current Club 33 Executive Chef Marcel St. Pierre or the Napa Rose and Carthay Circle sous chefs fit into the new organizational chart. We'll post an update as we get more information from Disney.

Adrienne

Toocherie
10-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Although I adore Napa Rose I have been disappointed in Carthay Circle because it is too similar. So while I greatly respect Chef Sutton aNd his culinary talents I am concerned that there might be a certain homogenization of the Signatures as a result of this change. We need more diverse choices.

Toocherie
10-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Question: is Steakhouse 55 not considered a 'Signature'?

Blacksheep Uncle
10-18-2013, 07:27 PM
If it means Steakhouse 55 won't change to be more like Napa Rose or Carthay Circle, I hope is isn't...

Malcon10t
10-18-2013, 07:34 PM
I am disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I like Chef Sutton. But if I want Napa Rose, I can go to Napa Rose/Carthay. Chef Marcel has been very unique. It is going to be awkward.

My son with Chef Marcel ordering Chef's special burger...
https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/934600_10201404410702622_774648906_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-pao.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/968955_10201521291377726_524398868_n.jpg

MammaSilva
10-18-2013, 07:43 PM
I was just thinking that very thing Mal, I mean obviously we only get to enjoy the club on special occasions with the help from good friends but even this last trip Missy was asking for 'steak meat and shrimp'(I took her to Outback to appease her after telling her that steak meat was broken. After the refurb will the menu reflect the whole NR vibe?

adriennek
10-18-2013, 08:56 PM
One of the reasons I liked going to Napa Rose was to see Chef Sutton. I haven't seen him there for a long time. I guess we'll see even less of him now. I'm glad for him that he's getting a promotion for will miss seeing him around.

bennette
10-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Well, it's good for me in theory. They don't serve enough vegetables!

I can't see members being happy about it, though. And I do wonder just how I will find Chef Sutton on a given night. It's not that there has ever been a guarantee of seeing him on a visit and I like all the other chefs but I'm not gonna lie. Interacting with him is a big part of the draw for me.

I'm not sure I know enough about a typical guest to say but I don't think most people, in general, are foodies. I think they might prefer steak and shrimp.

tea4two
10-19-2013, 12:26 AM
One of the reasons I liked going to Napa Rose was to see Chef Sutton. I haven't seen him there for a long time. I guess we'll see even less of him now. I'm glad for him that he's getting a promotion for will miss seeing him around.

...And I do wonder just how I will find Chef Sutton on a given night. It's not that there has ever been a guarantee of seeing him on a visit and I like all the other chefs but I'm not gonna lie. Interacting with him is a big part of the draw for me...

Agree with both these statements. Also, I'm concerned about Chef Sutton's talents being spread out too thin. We've noticed a lack of consistency in the kitchen at NR when he's not around. The food isn't bad when he's not presiding over the kitchen, but we think it is noticeably better in preparation and presentation when he's there.

MickeyDogMom
10-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Well, it's good for me in theory. They don't serve enough vegetables!

This is why you and I are NOTHING alike.

MickeyDogMom
10-19-2013, 10:58 AM
I am not pleased... for many of the reasons above... but mostly because I don't like either the Napa Rose or Carthay menu (excluding the tacos at the lounge). :mad:

MickeyDogMom
10-19-2013, 11:05 AM
To add, the NR's version of hot chocolate is awful! I mean, how hard is it??? Open up the packet, dump it in milk, heat it up, stir, cover with whip cream and marshmallows. Done!

I do not want that at the club... ::blech::

Toocherie
10-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Would it be out of line to start bombarding with 'we love Chef Sutton but don't want the Club to become a clone of Napa Rose/Carthay?

LauraTD
10-20-2013, 10:34 AM
It is entirely possible for Chef Sutton to take on Club 33 and for it to remain different from Napa and Carthay. My brother is a chef and his two restaurants are very different from one another. He uses fresh and local ingredients as much as possible in both but the taste profiles are completely dissimilar.

I am sure that there will be more seasonal items at 33 and probably more veg, which people can leave on their plates (or give to E to finish), but I would suspect that the menu would remain more traditional and less adventurous than Napa or even Carthay. Carthay is similar to Napa but is geared more toward mainstream taste than Napa. 33 will probably wind up a step more towards what they have at Carthay, than it is now but with favorite entrees remaining on the menu, with seasonal side dishes added.

Malcon10t
10-20-2013, 10:47 AM
33 will probably wind up a step more towards what they have at Carthay, I hope not, as there is even less I am willing to eat at Carthay, and at least at Napa, I can do counter and get something I will eat.

But, one of the issues is going to be several members I know are used to Marcel taking time with them for special menu items, or a NR Chef's counter type experience within the club. I don't see how Chef Sutton would have the time to spend when he has 3 restaurants to oversee.

bennette
10-20-2013, 11:26 AM
I think it is entirely within Chef Sutton's capacity to oversee the development of three different types of menus.

I personally have the most difficulty getting something to suit currently at the Club, because the menu is small and runs somewhat counter to my tastes. With a broader menu and larger kitchen, I think there should be better choices for all of us. They aren't going to toss every signature dish. The Club is a long haul establishment with a fairly set price range; they aren't looking to be trendy or build dishes that require incredible labor hours to produce. That isn't necessarily even a Chef's call at a restaurant he doesn't own.

I don't find the menu at Carthay adequately approachable for many diners--the lounge is particularly limited. Like the Club, they suffer from kitchen limitations. I know enough to order off menu in the restaurant if needed but I don't know what the typical guest experiences on a first visit. Dinners there seem to be booked, though, so seemingly lots of people don't have a problem with it.

I think any of the lead chefs who would be present on any given day in the Club are more than capable of responding to specific dining requests--at the table or otherwise. I think that type of service is normal and expected at a private club. Will that be as satisfying for the diner as it is with dealing with the Chef you know best--either Chef Marcel or Sutton--not necessarily. While I obviously am a big fan of Chef Sutton, I've enjoyed talking to Chef Marcel in the brief interactions I've had with him; he's very personable and engaged with his food. The broader food experience I mentioned above--I thought he would be leading them and I was looking forward to his changes.

If I wanted to hear about or potentially influence the menu, I would probably talk to Chef Sutton, not send a line to Disney. Which I would try to do now, while it is perhaps easier to find him!

If I wanted to understand better the full reasons behind the change...well, I wouldn't be expecting to hear about it via the Disney Blog or any Disney employee.

AVP
10-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Here's the update from Disney regarding Chef Marcel

Effective January 2014, Chef Marcel St. Pierre has been promoted to Chef de Cuisine at the restaurants of the Disneyland Hotel, which includes Steakhouse 55, Goofy’s Kitchen, Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar, Tangaroa Terrace and room service.

disneyland addict13
10-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Has there been any news about where Chef Alex is/will be? I thought I heard something about him getting moved over to Carthay Circle a few months back, but now I can't remember.

cstephens
10-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Has there been any news about where Chef Alex is/will be? I thought I heard something about him getting moved over to Carthay Circle a few months back, but now I can't remember.

Yes, he's been running Carthay Circle for a little while now. Chef Gloria is back at Napa Rose.