PDA

View Full Version : Auction For Haunted Mansion Event Gift!

pullmyfinger.com
09-04-2001, 09:44 PM
Hi! Saw someone selling their Haunted Mansion Event Gift on Ebay is anyone is interested. Here is the link to that auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1186722375

Gandalf
09-05-2001, 08:34 AM
How are they able to sell something that they won't receive until a month from now? Isn't that against ebay rules and regs?

Lani
09-05-2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Gandalf
How are they able to sell something that they won't receive until a month from now? Isn't that against ebay rules and regs? I've seen this done in the past, Gandalf. It's usually posted by people who know they will be going to the event. Of course, it also assumes they will be able to obtain the merchandise. To me, there's something really cheesy about doing this -- it's obvious these folks are only in it to make a quick buck; you wonder if they are even going to stick around for the event.

I was at an Oakland A's vs. Texas Rangers game this year. We got there a bit early, while the Rangers were still in batting practice. There was a group of young men who had brought with them bags full of things like bats. They very aggressively managed their way in to getting these bats autographed by Ranger shortstop Alex Rodriguez, after which they promptly left the stadium. From what I could guess, they didn't even bother coming back for the rest of the game. You know these young men were then just going to turn around and sell the bats for a quick buck.

No heart, I tell you. :(

Nigel2
09-05-2001, 09:45 PM
People like that tick me off. I mean when I was at DCA during the Mickey's secret mission thingy there was this couple that had bought the max # of folders at a time, and all the pins and so forth, I asked why they had so many they told me they were just going to sell it all online. I mean honestly, the point of all the merchanise isn't to sell it again later, its to keep it as a memory of an event.

pullmyfinger.com
09-06-2001, 02:44 PM
...by saying that it is cheesy to resell something of value. I think all people going to the Disneyana convention are laughing at the previous posts.

And, I suspect its "cheesy" to buy a house for 100,000 and resell it later for 150,000? Or, how about those "cheesy" persons on that antique auction show constantly selling items that are worth 50 times the price they paid for it? Or, what about a department store? They by a shirt for $5 and sell it to you for $10. Is this cheesy? Or, is this the American Dream....

Sorry...nothing cheesy about reselling something that has a greater value. It's been the AMerican way for decades.

And, incidentally, this is the main reason why the Haunted Mansion $200 tickets sod out quickly...becasue of the instant value of the special gift they will receive, which, trust me, many will be selling for $400 at collectible shows and Ebay.

I suspect it aint cheesy...I suspect someone who is upset who did not call the toll-free number quick enough!

See u at the Disneyana Convention where I hope to get $10 for my opening day EPCOT Bumper Stickers I paid 50 cents for!

Lani
09-06-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by pullmyfinger.com
I suspect it aint cheesy...I suspect someone who is upset who did not call the toll-free number quick enough!

See u at the Disneyana Convention where I hope to get $10 for my opening day EPCOT Bumper Stickers I paid 50 cents for! I have made no attempts to attend because I cannot take time out during the week to attend. We are also far too busy with the prepping and coordinating of the MouseAdventure event, scheduled for the following Sunday. I am also not a Disneyana collector, so I do not attend the Disneyana Convention.

pullmyfinger.com
09-06-2001, 04:11 PM
...are you telling us about your week ahead? I am confused.

Nigel2
09-06-2001, 10:01 PM
Its one thing to sell it years down the road, but I am talking about people who bought it in the morning and have it listed by the end of the day. Plus there is a difference in reselling an item purchased at wholesale prices, since the purpose of those are usually to sell them to someone else. Plus think of it this way, if you were one of those people at that pin trader convention thing at EPCOT (judging by the reports it was packed) wouldn't you be mad if a person bought a ton of pins that you wanted to buy but couldn't, and all they did was sell them at an inflated price?

Morrigoon
09-06-2001, 10:36 PM
If I understand correctly, the thing that's considered cheesy is the fact that they're buying a ticket to the "event" just to resell merchandise. The point being, they're denying a seat at the event (like the discussion panels/ entertainment) to someone who wants to experience it, in order to sell a souveneir of said event to someone who never got to go. In this way, it's almost like scalping, except the end customer never gets to go to the event.

I consider this different from people buying extra pins or beanies, which, while vexing, I cannot find anything morally wrong with.

pullmyfinger.com
09-06-2001, 11:07 PM
a) Because I love the event/Haunted
b) I am getting a gift that will be worth more than $85.

Why, in heaven, would anyone pay $85 (especially Annual Passholders who get into the park anytime) to ride through a ride that will be open virtually the next day for everyone? Yes, Tim Burton will be there, though press conferences are a dime a dozen.

Why are we paying...for the evnet, yes, but, ESPECIALLY, for the gift. Trust me, if there were no special gift, this event wouldn't sell out and MOST of you attending know that. Let's be honest.

I bought 2 tickets because I am sincerely taking someone. BUT, I would say that it is a tiny bit cheesy if someone bought 2 tickets and they were going by themselves but claiming 2 gifts.

And, with limited gift sales events, Disney has a limit to the number of gifts you can buy...so....one person cannot buy 1,000 pins.

The bottom line: If you want to sell your gift for 1,000,000 times it's value there is nothing wrong/cheesy about this. We do it ALL the time. Free enterpirse, baby...you do it with your homes, antiques, ALL THE TIME!

Nigel2
09-07-2001, 01:12 AM
Speaking of that gift, what is it anyway? I am just asking since I didn't have any time to go to the event. If I am understanding this right people pay money to go to some events, just to buy stuff? Plus how is the gift valued at $85? Unless you get it appraised, I rember on tv a long time ago the show was Personal FX and some guy had a limmited edition porcelan statue from Snow white and it was appraised for less than he paid for it.:D And he didn't look happy, since it was in perfect condition still.

Lani
09-07-2001, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
If I understand correctly, the thing that's considered cheesy is the fact that they're buying a ticket to the "event" just to resell merchandise. The point being, they're denying a seat at the event (like the discussion panels/ entertainment) to someone who wants to experience it, in order to sell a souveneir of said event to someone who never got to go. In this way, it's almost like scalping, except the end customer never gets to go to the event.

I consider this different from people buying extra pins or beanies, which, while vexing, I cannot find anything morally wrong with. DING DING DING Thanks Morrigoon -- that's exactly it!

pixiepal
09-07-2001, 04:30 PM
Hey pullmyfinger...where is the auction? It's not on Ebay anymore.
Did you--I mean--did they sell it already?