PDA

View Full Version : Work starts September 29th on the CircleVision Building

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Darkbeer
09-10-2003, 04:50 PM
From an interesting post over at LaughingPlace....

http://www.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-40430-P-1&Refresh=0910175233

The internal CM computer system at Disneyland is mentioning under the refurbishment section that work will happen to the Circle Vision Building and Rocket Rod queue from September 29th, 2003 thru July 17th, 2005.

Interesting, to say the least....

Rallymonkey23
09-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if we all got surprised by something that nobody has mentioned?

sleepyjeff
09-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
Wouldn't it be nice if we all got surprised by something that nobody has mentioned?

"Welcome to Tomorrowland McDonalds...may I take your order?"

Surprise:D

MartyLuvsTigger
09-10-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff

:| *shutter*

Ghoulish Delight
09-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by MartyLuvsTigger
:| *shutter* Yes, most of tomorrowland is currently shuttered.

Ooooh, shudder. Right. :p

zapppop
09-10-2003, 07:40 PM
The 50th anniversary exhibit is going into Innoventions, partially due to all the empty space there'll be when the sponsors pull out this year. Plus it wouldn't take over a year to install that type of attraction.

Perhaps the Buzz Lightyear ride is on the front burner again ?

DisneyFan25863
09-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Or maybe they just need a bigger storage room for all the brake shoes that have fallen off the Monorails...:fez: :p

DrIndianaJones
09-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Makes sense, ever since earlier this week when Kevin Yee came out with that article about the lack of rides at DL (something the "suites" I am sure have noticed) I have noticed things have been slowly being edged up to the front burners.

9oldmen
09-10-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm sure the "suites" have noticed. Especially Michael Eisner's suite at the Grand Californian. Wasn't Kevin reffering to the shrinking selection of rides and attractions, and how the selection just got smaller as a side affect of the recent tragedy? Could that incident be one of the things that placed the CircleVision project on the front burner?

Disneyfreak
09-10-2003, 10:09 PM
I really hope we get all of this dead space filled in and get all of the availible attractions up and running in beautiful condition for the 50th with maybe Disneyland restored paint jobs! But of course if we are lucky we will just have everything running. I got so sad when I saw Indiana Jones and the crystal skull in tokyo disneyland because its a million times better then whatever rides we have. Its sad to say that the one in tokyo is 5 times better then ours in my opinion from the video of it I saw.
To see Indy tokyo then go here and see the pics and movie shots.
http://laughingplace.com/News-PID505060-505060.asp

Darkbeer
09-10-2003, 10:09 PM
Michael, the webmaster over at MouseInfo.com has hinted that it is Buzz Lightyear, and another user mentioned that there is a September 20th announcement.... (Note: RUMOR)

Mezo
09-10-2003, 10:15 PM
What is Buzz. I have read about the rumors but gave never actually read about what the ride consists of. Is it a dark ride or better than that? ...Ok so its obvious I haven’t been to Disney world in a while. :p

Mezo

hbquikcomjamesl
09-11-2003, 07:47 AM
Buzz Lightyear is a sort of a variation on the Omnimover. You go through the show building aboard vehicles that are free to rotate under guest control (like Roger Rabbit, only with power assist), and which are fitted with electronic guns that the guests can fire at various targets along the track, and electronic counters to keep score.

I wouldn't mind seeing a California version of Buzz, but NOT at the expense of CircleVision (which I'd like to see retooled for digital projection, and fitted with all of the animatronics needed for Timekeeper (but mounted so that they are completely hidden when not in use), and set up so that it can run any CircleVision film ever made, with no extra time to switch from one show to a different one. The old Flight to the Moon/Mission to Mars building, perhaps along with the old, long-unused kitchen of the Space Mountain building added, would be a much better choice.

I also wouldn't mind seeing CoP return to DL, particularly since WDW seems intent on NOT running it there, with perhaps the better Innoventions exhibits concentrated on the upper floor of the building. And I wouldn't mind seeing the Peoplemover put back into service, preferably with the linear induction technology from Florida's version.

merlinjones
09-11-2003, 07:57 AM
So, Tomorrowland might show some spark of life for the 50th if the following could happen:

Tokyo version of Buzz Lightyear in CircleVision

Carousel of Progress comes back to lower Carousel, DisneyQuest to upper

Space Mountain rehab

Submarine Voyage reopens (Nemo overlay?)

New film for Honey theatre or expansion of SM?

New Star Wars film?

Relocation of Rocket Jets to center stage, up.

Return of PeopleMover or removal of PeopleMover track.

New Monorail trains.

removal of Cosmic Waves and observatron

Repainting/retheming/restoring Tomorrowland to ultramodern white/blue.

Restore Mary Blair's murals.

Restore or renew (definitely redecorate) Tomorrowland Terrace and stage

(what I'd really like is the return of Adventure thru Inner Space, but that seems more unlikely than the above).

malin
09-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Its also interesting to note that over on the MouseInfo site,there showing pics of the Sub Lagoon being drained.Hmmmmmmm.

Why would Disney begin working on former attractions that don't need work done to them.Unless there going to either re-open them or build something new.

Guest_Control
09-11-2003, 09:55 AM
I'd be thrilled to see Buzz Lightyear, or any other new ride, in the old Circlevision building. Tomorrowland is going to be less sickly by the time the 50th rolls around, I think.

"New" Space Mountain
Buzz Lightyear
New Exhibits (Disney History/Disney Quest) in Innoventions.
Mickey's Philharmagic in HISTA (Though people are making it sound highly unlikely.)
Re-opened Submarine Voyage?

I'd rather that Disney build a new attraction rather than bringing back the old subs, but I'm happy to see anything in the lagoon.

If the above things actually happen by 2005, the only dead space in tomorrowland will be the PeopleMover track. That's a huge improvement over how Tomorrowland has been the past 5 years.

GreatWhiteShark
09-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff

Too Funny!:D

jrad32
09-11-2003, 10:07 AM
How much can it cost to bring the Peoplemover back? I mean don't they have most of the needes equipment and the track?

If they're smart they'd build some display cases along the interior portions of the track to showcase some 50th anniversary items, and explain that more can be seen at the main display.

You know the peoplemover could be a cool history of DL ride. You could have historical things in the beginning covered areas, then transition to the outdoor views which are already great, and then in the last covered areas put new ideas from imaginers showing what could be possible future attractions, as this would tie it back to the future theme of TL.

PapiBear
09-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
I really hope we get all of this dead space filled in and get all of the availible attractions up and running in beautiful condition for the 50th with maybe Disneyland restored paint jobs! But of course if we are lucky we will just have everything running. I got so sad when I saw Indiana Jones and the crystal skull in tokyo disneyland because its a million times better then whatever rides we have. Its sad to say that the one in tokyo is 5 times better then ours in my opinion from the video of it I saw.
To see Indy tokyo then go here and see the pics and movie shots.
http://laughingplace.com/News-PID505060-505060.asp

If the Oriental Land Company, which operates Tokyo Disneyland/Tokyo DisneySeas, were given charge of operating Disneyland (a political & cultural hot potato which would become a national issue, to be sure), I'm positive that Disneyland would experience a genuine rebirth in the spirit of Walt. The Japanese do it RIGHT and can correct all the Pressler/Eisner mistakes. I'm positive they'd be able to completely remake DCA into a really cool park as well.

Andrew
09-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by jrad32
How much can it cost to bring the Peoplemover back? I mean don't they have most of the needes equipment and the track?

The Rocket Rods' "rail" will have to be removed from the beamway and the new propulsion system, whether it be the powered rollers of old or the system from WDW, will have to be installed.

That's assuming the disastrous decision not to strengthen the beamway and its supports for the Rods didn't doom any chance of running any vehicles there again.

GreatWhiteShark
09-11-2003, 10:20 AM
I really hope that some new attractions will be placed in Tomorrowland. So far this is all good news that something is going to happen.

PapiBear
09-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
So, Tomorrowland might show some spark of life for the 50th if the following could happen:

Space Mountain rehab

New Star Wars film?

New Monorail trains.

(what I'd really like is the return of Adventure thru Inner Space, but that seems more unlikely than the above).

Merlin, dude, again you ROCK (except for your suggestion for CircleVision -- I prefer hbquikcomjamesl's idea, as it fits the basic concept of Tomorrowland -- showcasing possible future technologies, among other things -- much better while still retaining the "retro future nostalgia" aspect folks like us love). I especially like your suggestions for restoring the 1967 Tomorrowland color patterns.

I swear, man, you should be running the company. Your ideas are (for the most part) seriously kick-butt.

LIMANDL4EVA
09-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Space Mountain rehab
New Star Wars film?
New Monorail trains.

This is what I think will happen...
Tokyo version of Buzz Lightyear in CircleVision-MAYBE (And even if we do, it probably wont be as good as the Tokyo version is going to be)

Carousel of Progress comes back to lower Carousel, DisneyQuest to upper-NO

Space Mountain rehab-YES

Submarine Voyage reopens (Nemo overlay?)-NO

New film for Honey theatre or expansion of SM-NO

New Star Wars film-NO

Relocation of Rocket Jets to center stage, up-NO

Return of PeopleMover or removal of PeopleMover track-NO

New Monorail trains-Probably Not

removal of Cosmic Waves and observatron-NO

Repainting/retheming/restoring Tomorrowland to ultramodern white/blue-NO

Restore Mary Blair's murals-NOPE

Restore or renew (definitely redecorate) Tomorrowland Terrace and stage-NOPE

Adventure thru Inner Space-HAHA

Morrigoon
09-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
That's assuming the disastrous decision not to strengthen the beamway and its supports for the Rods didn't doom any chance of running any vehicles there again.

I'm pretty sure that's what I heard happened. That the damage ruined the chance for any vehicles to run there. Let's hope I'm wrong or that a simple retrofit would fix it. I really liked the peoplemover.

DrIndianaJones
09-11-2003, 01:18 PM
A new Star Tours movie is in the works, just look at any Star Wars website. Lucas promised Disney that there will be not just one, but several adventures that Star Tours can go on. So it would be a "random" ride each time. Look for this coming out after Episode III is released.