PDA

View Full Version : Will you ride BTM when it returns?

Pages : [1] 2

Panic_Pure
09-10-2003, 12:43 PM
I'm wondering how you all feel about riding BTM when it does come back into operation? I would feel strange riding it again, in fact I can't even imagine it, especially if they didn't change the direction of the track. Do you think they will change the attraction in some way, perhaps removing the tunnel for example? I know tragic accidents have happened on rides in the past and we still go ahead and ride, but they were so long ago.

If BTM is down for a year, even though it is bad for the park overall, what with the lack of E ticket attractions, I just can't see it opening again and being as popular as it was until a reasonable amount of time has passed.

Rallymonkey23
09-10-2003, 12:46 PM
I will ride it when it reopens. Cal OSHA will have to clear it before it does. So I'm not going to second guess before getting on. I'm not going to live my life in fear everytime I step on a ride. :)

MammaSilva
09-10-2003, 12:48 PM
We'll ride it.. in fact I hope to be able to come down when they schedule it to reopen and ride it that first day....ACCIDENTS happen....they will know the cause and resolve the problem before the first car rolls around the track again... it's one of our favorites at the park.

dshimel
09-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Without a doubt I'd ride it again.

EandCDad
09-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Of course I'd ride, just like I still drive and ride in cars even though 117 will die in auto accidents today.

MickeyD
09-10-2003, 01:10 PM
If I happen to be off work that day, I'll ride it the day it reopens.

adriennek
09-10-2003, 01:15 PM
I believe it will be safer to ride once it re-opens than it was two weeks ago.

And it's one of my son's favorite rides. Interesting sidenote: watching my 5-year-old digest hearing on the news that someone died on an object of his obsession-- he's been drawing a LOT of BTMRR drawings lately. And each one gets more and more detailed...

Adrienne

Not Afraid
09-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Sure! Why not?

There is a scene from The WOrld According to Garp that expresses how I feel wonderfully.

Garp and his family are looking to buy a house. They are standing in front of a wonderful house that they are really interested in, when a small plane flies into the side of the house. Garp turns to the realtor and says "We'll take it". Garp's wife looks at him with dismay to which he responds that it is safe now, this will never happen again. (This was a baaaaad paraphrase of the original lines, but the concept is there.)

Captain Josh
09-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Most certainly. I will ride is as soon as I can. End of story.

Gr8Scott
09-10-2003, 01:46 PM
I am making my yearly 1408 mile quest to Disneyland at the end of February 2004 and if BTMR is open, I will be riding it along with my wife and 2 grade school children. I believe I have a greater chance of being injured or killed driving to DL than being killed or injured on a ride. Can't wait to ride again!:D

PapiBear
09-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Sorry, off-topic, but every time I see "BTM" written I think it means "Bowel Thunder Movement", which conjurs up some pretty disturbing mental images.... :rolleyes:

Anyway, if they fix Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, sure, I'll ride it again. As long as it passes a proper inspection, and regular maintenance is kept up.

CarlieB
09-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Yes, I think so. However, I'm not sure I'll be sitting in the front row of rides in future...maybe silly, but I just don't think I'd feel too comfortable about it.

cemeinke
09-10-2003, 02:00 PM
No problem, just like I curently ride the Matterhorn, the Monorail, the Columbia, and as I rode the Carrousell of Progress/America Sings.

I'll continue to take my chances
:fez:

Captain Josh
09-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB
Yes, I think so. However, I'm not sure I'll be sitting in the front row of rides in future...maybe silly, but I just don't think I'd feel too comfortable about it.

Well, this is sort of off-topic-ish, but I always preferred the very, very back. Sort of a hang-time thing. I always felt that the train picked up momentum just as the last car leaves the peak, so you get a "hang-time" effect.

that IS true, right?

Andrew
09-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
Well, this is sort of off-topic-ish, but I always preferred the very, very back. Sort of a hang-time thing. I always felt that the train picked up momentum just as the last car leaves the peak, so you get a "hang-time" effect.

that IS true, right?

The back seat of the last car is also the best place from which to experience the goat trick.

MammaSilva
09-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Which, if anyone needs to be educated on, I have on expert authority that Andrew can explain how to perform said Goat trick perfectly!:fez:

mrscoach
09-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Sure! Why not?

There is a scene from The WOrld According to Garp that expresses how I feel wonderfully.

Garp and his family are looking to buy a house. They are standing in front of a wonderful house that they are really interested in, when a small plane flies into the side of the house. Garp turns to the realtor and says "We'll take it". Garp's wife looks at him with dismay to which he responds that it is safe now, this will never happen again. (This was a baaaaad paraphrase of the original lines, but the concept is there.)

Our family LIVES by that scene in The World According to Garp! "It's disaster-proof!"

As far as BTRR, though, I don't know if I"ll be able to ride it. Nothing to do with safety issues, though - I agree with all the "don't live your life in fear" posters. I won't know until I get there if I'll be able to do it, because it might freak me out going past the place where someone died. Now, I know there are places where people have died all around me every day, but when I KNOW someone has died there, specifically by a tragic accident, it freaks me out. Those roadside memorials - they freak me out. When I visited Scotland in 1991, I couldn't go anywhere near Locherbie (spelled wrong, I know) because of the whole flight 800 thing. It's just a weird thing with me. I might be ok, because I'm not sure specifically where the accident happened. But I agree that folks should get right on as soon as it reopens, I have no doubt it'll be better than ever.

UncleGDogWord
09-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Yes, I would ride it again. I may feel scared about it, but I would ride it.

disNeytEen
09-10-2003, 02:34 PM
I would ride it, but deeeeeeeeep down I will always know that there are possibilities even in the Land of Magic

cstephens
09-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
The back seat of the last car is also the best place from which to experience the goat trick.

Ah, the goat trick...

zapppop
09-10-2003, 02:36 PM
If it reopened today I'd ride it. I don't see BTMRR any differently than I see the other rides. I doubt changes would be made to the track. The ride is scheduled to open in November so there's not enough time; and if it does close for a year, that's more than enough time to get over any grief you may have.

innerSpaceman
09-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Heh, I always sit in the back anyway. (Forget hang time; the thing doesn't even start to move at more than 1 mph before the train gets practically half-way down a hill.)

Of course, I've noticed that I always wait for the Columbia safely inside the covered waiting area. It's mostly for the shade, but well ... ya know.

Oh, and I don't necessarily think that BTMRR has to be down for a full year, but if it hurredly reopens in November (as suggested on the Disneyland website), I will NOT be riding it.

Bill Catherall
09-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Yes I'd ride again.

Oh and oops. Before I read this thread I asked about the goat trick in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=279781#post279781).

Lost Boy
09-10-2003, 02:48 PM
I wil ride again for sure, when I return to Disneyland. I have never enjoyed sitting in the front car as the "engine" blocks the view ahead. I prefer half-way back or at the very end to get the "Swing" effect that all Roller Coasters give in the last car.

lazyboy97O
09-10-2003, 03:09 PM
If it is open when I go in 2005 I will ride. If am luvky and with divine intervention it will be fixed by Thanksgiving, but I don't see it happening.