PDA

View Full Version : Disney at fault?

Duane
09-10-2003, 09:52 AM
I'm sure that I will get a lot of opinions on this matter but I have a hard time believing Disney is at fault for the recent Big Thunder accident. Sure, I believe a mechanical failure caused the accident but I don't believe it is the result of improper maintenance. I'm sure Disney is fully aware of the legal actions that can be taken against them for negligence, therefore, they do everything they can to avoid this type of situation. They recently made several changes on Tom Sawyer's Island to help prevent this type of event. If you remember, everyone online was complaining that Disney took all the fun out of rock climbing due to the advice of their attorneys. Now, everyone is quick to jump and say Disney had poor maintenance and little concern for safety. Maybe one day the majority of people will accept the fact that Disney has the best of intentions and no matter how hard they try, accidents are a reality.

LifelongAngelsFan
09-10-2003, 09:57 AM
There is already a thread that is discussing this very topic. Perhaps you would like to join the discussion on the "Angry" thread?

Duane
09-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Thanks, I think I'll jump aboard!

Rallymonkey23
09-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Watch out for hooks! ;)

ralfrick
09-11-2003, 06:58 PM
It has been reported that the front "locomotive" car had no anti-rollback mechanism when Big Thunder opened. IF that is still the case (which defies all common sense), and IF indeed that car rolled back into the first car with passengers, which seems to be the case, then, yes, Disney, and probably the manufacturer, is most definitely at fault

lazyboy97O
09-11-2003, 07:03 PM
If I rememebr correctly, doesn't BTMR first go downhill after the station? If so I could see why no anti roll devises were placed on the lifts. They probably considered lift malfunction in which the train would just valley somewhere. I doubt the idea of a car coming loose and slamming into the others wasn't considered. I just hope this was all a freak accident.

Alex S.
09-11-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by ralfrick
It has been reported that the front "locomotive" car had no anti-rollback mechanism when Big Thunder opened. IF that is still the case (which defies all common sense), and IF indeed that car rolled back into the first car with passengers, which seems to be the case, then, yes, Disney, and probably the manufacturer, is most definitely at fault

We're reasonably confident now that roll-back devices were never installed on the locomotive part of the engine.