PDA

View Full Version : Market House Re-opened today

megzrg
09-25-2013, 05:23 PM
It looks like they kept the stove and the party line phones in there.

Did anyone get to see it today? I don't get to check it out until Sunday when we get there for our vacation.

olegc
09-25-2013, 09:23 PM
almost every disney fan website has posted extensive pictures of the Market House and "The Book Rest" where the stove now sits...

cstephens
09-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Good to know that everything has not in fact gone to hell in a handbasket.

megzrg
09-25-2013, 09:59 PM
almost every disney fan website has posted extensive pictures of the Market House and "The Book Rest" where the stove now sits...

Sorry MousePlanet is the only fan site I have time to read and I didn't see any pics. Can you direct me to the other fan sites you can think of off the top of your head. Thanks :)

olegc
09-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Disney Parks blog - http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/09/market-house-serving-starbucks-opens-today-at-disneyland-park/
Touring plans - http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/09/25/pictures-market-house-reopens-disneylands-starbucks-location/
micechat - http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/186790-starbucks-finally-opens-main-street-u-s-disneyland-park.html#post1057027538

and I am sure MP will be providing in the next update

Drince88
09-26-2013, 10:42 AM
MP had a photo of the area in Monday's update - though maybe not the EXACT place you're interested in.

megzrg
09-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Disney Parks blog - http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/09/market-house-serving-starbucks-opens-today-at-disneyland-park/
Touring plans - http://blog.touringplans.com/2013/09/25/pictures-market-house-reopens-disneylands-starbucks-location/
micechat - http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/186790-starbucks-finally-opens-main-street-u-s-disneyland-park.html#post1057027538

and I am sure MP will be providing in the next update

Thanks I will check these out. Thankfully I will finally be in Disneyland by the time the Monday update comes out and I will be able to go in and see it for myself...yea!

megzrg
09-26-2013, 03:29 PM
It is definitely a starbucks set up, a pretty starbucks, but starbucks nonetheless. There seems to be quite a bit of stuff to just go through and look at with the décor and love that they kept the 3 icons of the old Market House.

That last link you shared had the best perk of all photographed, I can charge my cell phone while enjoying my coffee because they have outlets by the table......no more trying to get a charging locker....woooohoooo!

Karin
09-26-2013, 03:41 PM
So where are we supposed to find the merchandise now that used to be in Market House?

currence
09-26-2013, 05:49 PM
World of Disney has a lot of the merchandise.

olegc
09-27-2013, 07:46 AM
So where are we supposed to find the merchandise now that used to be in Market House?

I have seen a lot of the kitchen ware stuff at Pioneer Mercantile in Frontierland. I am sure WoD and even the Emporium may have some. I think Ink and Paint on Buena Vista Street - DCA - is a kitchen ware store as well.

As far as all the candy and cookies - you're back to Candy Palace, Pooh's Corner, or Trolley Treats in DCA - or Marceline's in DTD

Cory Gross
09-27-2013, 07:29 PM
As chain stores with vaguely "Old Timey" decor go, the Old Spaghetti Factory is better. As the creation of a "Market House" themed space in a cinematic turn-of-the-century Main Street goes... uh... I kind of want to take a rolled-up newspapers to Imagineerings' noses and make them look hard at pictures of the original Market House and watch So Dear To My Heart and Pollyanna again. "No! Bad Imagineers! This is what it's supposed to look like!"

olegc
09-27-2013, 08:13 PM
As chain stores with vaguely "Old Timey" decor go, the Old Spaghetti Factory is better. As the creation of a "Market House" themed space in a cinematic turn-of-the-century Main Street goes... uh... I kind of want to take a rolled-up newspapers to Imagineerings' noses and make them look hard at pictures of the original Market House and watch So Dear To My Heart and Pollyanna again. "No! Bad Imagineers! This is what it's supposed to look like!"

while I agree that this version is not a true to a 1890s store as possibly before it changed (or better yet back in the 50s and 60s). However, I think Disney is at a point where function is trumping form because of the extreme popularity of their product. That line out the door just before fireworks or snow has always been an issue for some and hopefully this new model will handle that flow. All that's left is window dressing.

smd4
09-28-2013, 07:41 AM
As chain stores with vaguely "Old Timey" decor go, the Old Spaghetti Factory is better. As the creation of a "Market House" themed space in a cinematic turn-of-the-century Main Street goes... uh... I kind of want to take a rolled-up newspapers to Imagineerings' noses and make them look hard at pictures of the original Market House and watch So Dear To My Heart and Pollyanna again. "No! Bad Imagineers! This is what it's supposed to look like!"Absolutely, 100% correct.

cstephens
09-29-2013, 09:27 PM
I think the new Market House looks very nice. I especially like the new room that I think is supposed to be a bookstore. That's where the stovepipe sits. The party line telephones are still around, and they've even added more. And they even kept the checkerboard on the barrel. They were definitely doing brisk business today when I saw it.

Niwel
09-29-2013, 09:28 PM
A lot of the kitchen stuff is in the store that (geographically) is next to the photo shop

Drince88
09-30-2013, 09:29 AM
I think the new Market House looks very nice. I especially like the new room that I think is supposed to be a bookstore. That's where the stovepipe sits.
What's a stovepipe? I've seen the pictures with the stove (and its accompanying chimney/stovepipe) - but people always talk about the stovepipe here like it's something more than the chimney attached to the stove to allow combustion gases to pass to the exterior of the building.

smd4
09-30-2013, 10:33 AM
What's a stovepipe? I've seen the pictures with the stove (and its accompanying chimney/stovepipe) - but people always talk about the stovepipe here like it's something more than the chimney attached to the stove to allow combustion gases to pass to the exterior of the building.People just confuse their terminology. And actually, it's not even a stove--there's no surface for cooking. It's really a heater.

MammaSilva
09-30-2013, 12:10 PM
People just confuse their terminology. And actually, it's not even a stove--there's no surface for cooking. It's really a heater.

People are not confusing the terminology for the wood stove in the Market house, by definition is is in fact a wood stove, not necessarily needing a cooking surface but I did research to find out if I'd been calling the wood stoves I grew up with by the wrong name and it turns out I had not. If you google the term wood stove multiple links will pop up showing photos of everything from cooking stoves to the caboose style wood or coal burning stove that is in the Market House. The stove pipe that people talk about is really just the metal pipe/chimney to transport the combustion gases up and out of the interior space so no one dies of carbon monoxide poisoning. I don't think that the wood stove in the Market House was ever actually a working model but could be wrong. I just don't see Disney Legal being willing to allow that level of guest risk to happen even in the early days of the park.

smd4
09-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Yes, it's true they are sometimes called "stoves," but they were meant to heat up open spaces--not for cooking. The 1897 Sears Catalog lists many varieties. I'd be happy to post images. The one in the Market House was made to burn wood OR coal.

Caboose stoves, by contrast, were in fact meant for cooking, and featured at least one cook top, and a lip around the surface to prevent pots from falling off. The Market House does not have a caboose stove-it has a heating stove.

leota's necklace
10-01-2013, 03:33 AM
And actually, it's not even a stove--there's no surface for cooking. It's really a heater.

Yes, it's true they are sometimes called "stoves," but they were meant to heat up open spaces--not for cooking.

You seem to disagree with yourself. ;) (And I think the later You is right, a "stove" doesn't need to have a cooktop.)

stan4d_steph
10-01-2013, 05:48 AM
You seem to disagree with yourself.Actually, I believe he was replying to Mammasilva's post.

But let's move on from arguing semantics, shall we? The big question for me is do they make you stop at the pastry case first before ordering drinks?

AVP
10-01-2013, 08:31 AM
The big question for me is do they make you stop at the pastry case first before ordering drinks?The Market House location is built like the WDW Starbucks, with the pastry case front and center, where the DCA location has a different layout. I asked a CM who I knew worked both DLR locations how she liked the new layout, and she said they abandoned the "start at the pastry case" system pretty quickly because it creates such a bottleneck. You order everything from the cashier, including anything from the case.

AVP

megzrg
10-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Was able to finally see it for myself this weekend, and I don't like it. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it really just reminds me of every other Starbucks we have up there.

But, that's okay because I don't have to go there, I can just continue to go to Jolly Holiday Bakery and enjoy the outdoor seating.....besides it has a better view. :)