PDA

View Full Version : Social gangs and Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyvillain
09-23-2013, 10:31 AM
I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed but there seems to be a new social gang brewing in Disneyland. The Main Street Elites. It’s a cross between the Outsiders and a Morrissey fan club. I don’t think it’s a big deal having these social gangs hanging out in the park but I can see how families might be intimated by a presence of a gang inside Disneyland. Or, I suppose this is no different than groups of families wearing the same t-shirt or different dance teams wearing team jackets.

From what I've read on other forums, they are not particularly friendly but really, how dangerous can you be, you have Mickey Mouse on the back of your jean jacket!

I’m just worried if the Main Street Elites cross paths with the Westside Goofies, there might be trouble.

AVP
09-23-2013, 12:09 PM
I think there's also a group called The Neverlanders?

I've seen some of the Main Street Elites at the park - a group were on the train with me a few weeks ago. Their jackets are really cool, but yes, as someone who has lived in SoCal most of my life, seeing what appeared to be a "Disney Gang" was a little unsettling. They didn't seem particularly unfriendly to me, just chatting amongst themselves. Some of them had some incredible Disney tattoos.

AVP

Cory Gross
09-23-2013, 08:38 PM
I've never seen them myself, but let me tell ya', sports teams and uniformed families are pretty frightening in their own right ;)

Micki0624
09-23-2013, 08:43 PM
I found their website. I haven't seen/heard from them as I no longer live close enough to DL to go not but once a year and it looks like they are just die hard fans.

http://mainstreetelitesc.tumblr.com/page/2

Janis and Aaron
09-23-2013, 08:56 PM
I've seen them several times and they always seemed fine. Their website makes them sound just like any other devoted fans, and who could have a problem with that?

moofeet
09-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Anyone want to start one with me? The Crabby Crabsters! We can hang out outside Pirates and Tarzan's Treehouse can be our clubhouse? Like for meetings and crabtalk?

MidwayManiac
09-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Anyone want to start one with me? The Crabby Crabsters!

Sounds like a swell idea, but as Groucho Marx said "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

BlkPearlCptn
09-24-2013, 08:28 AM
These were talked about on another board. A lot of the Main Street Elite joined in and encouraged people to come up to talk to them. They stressed how friendly they were and loved to talk about Disney. Will do that the next time I see them.

pcrazy99
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Social Gangs. LOL.

cstephens
09-24-2013, 05:42 PM
How is a so-called "social gang" different than me and my friends hanging out spending a few hours at the park?

GrumpyGoofyGuy
09-24-2013, 08:13 PM
How is a so-called "social gang" different than me and my friends hanging out spending a few hours at the park?

Do you all have matching club logos/clothing?

AVP
09-24-2013, 08:47 PM
How is a so-called "social gang" different than me and my friends hanging out spending a few hours at the park?The official logos, leather jackets, bandanas and "support scarves" are one difference.

That, and all the snapping as they walk up Main Street. Except, I'm pretty sure I may have done that once or twice, so... not all that much, really.

adriennek
09-24-2013, 10:06 PM
That, and all the snapping as they walk up Main Street. Except, I'm pretty sure I may have done that once or twice, so... not all that much, really.

DANGNABIT. I wanted to come up with a WSS reference a day or so ago. I almost posted "Are they gonna go all Sharks & Jets and break into fabulous choreography in Town Square?"

I bow to your fabulous post.

LauraTD
09-25-2013, 05:20 AM
The official logos, leather jackets, bandanas and "support scarves" are one difference.

DANGNABIT. I wanted to come up with a WSS reference a day or so ago. I almost posted "Are they gonna go all Sharks & Jets and break into fabulous choreography in Town Square?"

I bow to your fabulous post.

And now I have the urge to choreograph some Tony Robbins inspired dance moves to do next time I am on Main St with friends. It may or may not involve AAPPWs. Be afraid; be very afraid.

jrsharp21
09-25-2013, 06:02 AM
I fear that a bubble gun war may break out on Main Street.

racccoon
09-25-2013, 06:46 AM
I fear that a bubble gun war may break out on Main Street.

Fights and gangs? What is this place coming to? Soon I will hear the Evil Queen and Snow White joining forces to fight Peter Pan. What craziness will be next!?

cstephens
09-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Do you all have matching club logos/clothing?

So the only deciding factor to designate a "gang" is whether the people are wearing matching attire? That's it? Nothing about their behaviour or anything else? If they were doing the same exact thing but wearing different clothes, then they wouldn't be a gang?

During the recent Disneyland half-marathon weekend, many people at various times were wearing the same thing because there were race shirts for the various races. So did that make them a gang? Lots of dance troops and cheerleader groups and school groups and even just families on vacation wear matching shirts. Does that make each of them a gang? During Gay Days coming up in a couple weeks, many people will be wearing similar attire. Will that make them a gang? During the Angels' pennant run multiple years ago, many people came dressed in Angels gear. Did that make them a gang? (Of course, it was funny that the pennant run coincided with Gay Days, so there were people wearing team gear and people wearing "team" gear, but not everyone was necessarily on the same "team", but I digress.)

Personally, I don't have time to be in a gang. I'm too busy conspiring with my clique.

pixar
09-25-2013, 08:56 AM
I've always associated the word "gang" with bad or illegal behavior.

olegc
09-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Get Even.... GET COOL!
oh, sorry..

to me I'm not so concerned about these gangs but I can understand where other guests may believe that hanging out - and not looking like tourists (or runners on a day where runners are prevalent) would create some concern. Its a perception thing and its going to be there no matter how silly it may sound. Especially with leather jackets, tattoos, piercings, etc.

Its a fine line that has to be walked between just letting guests hang and managing the guest experience from perceived undesirables. Its not a position I would want to be in.

sfjgarcia
09-25-2013, 01:16 PM
I have seen various members of social groups in the park. I have not spoken to any of them personally, however, let me comfort any of you fearing these “gang members” as their being unfairly stereotyped as nothing less than big Disney fans. Come on folks, perhaps its not your thing, you find it silly, wouldn’t be caught dead with a matching vest or motorcycle jacket or what have you, but each person to their own.

Each time I’ve seen the social club members their walking down Main Street or getting on rides. I’m an AP holder and I go to the park enough to name at least 3-5 social groups and have never had a problem. I actually like their outfits. Don’t make it bigger than it is.

adriennek
09-25-2013, 02:42 PM
And now I have the urge to choreograph some Tony Robbins inspired dance moves to do next time I am on Main St with friends. It may or may not involve AAPPWs. Be afraid; be very afraid.

Just in case there was any doubt, I volunteer to be involved in this exercise.

I've already been known to Prancercise down Main Street, with another member of an organization to which I am affiliated, while wearing matching outfits right down to the headbands.

Toocherie
09-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Somehow using the word "gang" in the same sentence with "Disneyland" just seems wrong.

LauraTD
09-25-2013, 04:45 PM
So the only deciding factor to designate a "gang" is whether the people are wearing matching attire? That's it? Nothing about their behaviour or anything else? If they were doing the same exact thing but wearing different clothes, then they wouldn't be a gang?

Lots of dance troops and cheerleader groups and school groups and even just families on vacation wear matching shirts. .

I am actually scared of some of those gangs. Not to mention the dreaded AAPPs (shudder)

Just in case there was any doubt, I volunteer to be involved in this exercise.

Oh, there was no doubt. It will be "cool". (and nicotine free)

Kuzcofan
09-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Heck. I am part of the Mouse Planet Social Gang. I wear my MP button I got from D23 every time I go to the park.

On a side note I am also part of a Social Club called Mouse4Life. It is on Facebook. We have buttons we wear and get togethers in and out of the parks, and different contests and just a lot of fun friends having fun online and at the parks. You can usually find us hanging around the Mad T Party at DCA.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
09-25-2013, 08:28 PM

During the recent Disneyland half-marathon weekend, many people at various times were wearing the same thing because there were race shirts for the various races. So did that make them a gang? Lots of dance troops and cheerleader groups and school groups and even just families on vacation wear matching shirts. Does that make each of them a gang? During Gay Days coming up in a couple weeks, many people will be wearing similar attire. Will that make them a gang? During the Angels' pennant run multiple years ago, many people came dressed in Angels gear. Did that make them a gang? (Of course, it was funny that the pennant run coincided with Gay Days, so there were people wearing team gear and people wearing "team" gear, but not everyone was necessarily on the same "team", but I digress.)

Personally, I don't have time to be in a gang. I'm too busy conspiring with my clique.

Well-You asked what the difference was, and although I'm sure there are more I stated the most obvious one.:geek: