PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to be the stick in the mud but...

DisneyDustin22
09-09-2003, 10:55 PM
First of all, I'm not trying to be the one to cause an uproar or anything of the sort. I am just stating my opinion on this subject, which is what this website is here for. With that said, in regards to the situation which we are all aware of that occurred a few days ago at the park, I feel it is not right to be pointing fingers or placing the blame for the event on any person or such thing. First of all, what happened was a tradgedy, yes it was, there is no arguing that. Second, could saftey measures be taken to improve such a tradgedy from happening again? Of course. But lately all I seem to be seeing is the blame being placed on: "Budget cuts on maintence, safety, Eisner should learn his lesson from this, etc." Now I'm not saying that anyone is wrong in doing that. But take into considration this as well. When you think of Disneyland, you dont think of accidents occurring like what just did. You think of being safe and being able to enjoy your visit. Unless you're a Disney "geek" like many of us are =) or you happen to read up on your history, you know that Disneyland has had it's share of accidents which resulted in death over its existance. Far more than you would expect too. And what comes with that is almost all of those accidents, resulted in the victim breaking a safety rule or doing something that put him or her in a situation of being hurt. Now I'm not saying this is what happened over the weekend, but we don't know yet. And if the saftey devices were in tact and working properly, the result of someone not using them to their advantage would result in an accident. I know I have learned a lesson the hard way, once on Indiana Jones, I tried to see how much I could get tossed around in my seat to enjoy the ride more, little did I know back then (When the ride first opened) that each car was programmed different each time it left the station, at a part I thought the car would lift upwards, it went downwards, and I smacked my face on the arm bar in front of me. No major injury, but a close call. Again, resulted in me doing something the saftey instructions said not to do. So i feel that until Disney comes out and says flat out, one of the systems malfunctioned beyond our control, can we then start pointing the fingers at who should recieve blame for this. And take into account this as well, its not the most ideal way to look at it, but, BTMRR is a relatively older ride, as compared to rollercoasters today, it runs countless times a day, only getting a rest every now and then, has anyone overlooked the fact that maybe, just maybe, something on it just had its time? Machines dont run forever, granted we take measures to fix them and to make sure they keep running smoothly, but how many times does your computer crash or freeze? or do you hear that tick in your engine on your car? You can only provide so much care for one thing before eventually it will stop working. Sadly if that was the case here, the result was tragic. Again, I am not saying any of these things were teh cause, I just feel that if everyone else is going to point fingers and blame for what happened, I just want add my opinion to the barrel. For any of you who made it this far on this post, I thank you for reading. I just hope in the end, everyone learns something, it seems we always do. Thank you and see you all soon at the happiest place on earth!

Morrigoon
09-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Very well stated opinion. As a CM, my knowledge leads me to respectfully disagree with your opinion in this case. I think that current maintenance crews can only do so much, and that by cutting or changing the old annual maintenance schedule, Disney has indeed "slacked off". Once upon a time (the 80s and early 90s), I could count on the Matterhorn being closed late Jan/early Feb (when I often went). As a guest, it's nicer having the Matterhorn open when I visit, however, I'd rather have it close and do annual maintenance like they used to.

Had they BEEN continuing annual maintenance throughout the Pressler years, Cynthia would not have to take all this heat because she's having to close so many rides to make up deferred maintenance..... and they wouldn't be so expensive to fix because they'd have been kept up properly.

I can change the oil in my car every 3000 miles, or I can do it every 6000 miles... but the later option exposes me to a considerably larger amount of risk of damaging my engine than the first option. Fixing that damage will be more expensive than having gotten my oil changed twice in that 6000 miles.

I'm one of the first people to suspect that victims in Disneyland accidents bear a strong share of the responsibility for their accidents - but I REALLY don't think so in this case. I don't think anyone's going to be able to pegged as directly responsible, but I believe the corporation as a whole is culpable for creating a situation in which the attractions are not recieving the same degree of maintenance they used to... all the while the attractions are growing older and more likely to need such maintenance.

ralfrick
09-10-2003, 07:14 AM
It would take one extraordinary set of events for a guest behaving foolishly to cause a derailment of a roller coaster. I think David's column today is really enlightening; I wish I could find my copy of "More Mouse..." that's in the house somewhere to refresh my memory on maintinence matters.

merlinjones
09-10-2003, 07:19 AM
In any event, it's clear from Koenig's article that a light needs to be shined into the dark cubicles of Disney's Sharp Pencil Boys and their blind, aggressive, heavy handed tactics. Safety and sanity need to be put ahead of the CFO's demands, internal politics, greater profit margins and executive bonus compensation.

Perhaps the inspectors will have to call Pressler back in to discuss his financial vision for the Disneyland Resort. How many millions in bonuses did he receive those years when maintenence was being scaled back?

Did that money belong in his pocket or in preventive maintenence?

Fall into the gap, indeed...

Bruce Bergman
09-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Let's not hang anyone until all the facts come out. Speculation is dangerous stuff.

But we can, and should, demand that the accident investigation digs a little deeper than just this one ride, and looks at the Park-wide maintenance and repair programs on all the rides. :geek:

One thought: If the mechanics are spending half their time filling out the new mandatory safety-check paperwork every day so the ride can open, and using the same overall hours to check the ride, they have effectively CUT the budget. They need to add a secretary on each team - have the mechanic spend his time actually checking the ride, and an assistant to "run the clipboard" and do the paperwork filing at the end of the shift.

They need to assure themselves (and the public) that Safety is still the #1 Key. And if it isn't, it needs to get back there, budgets be darned. (I was going to use a bit stronger word, but I don't need a moderator lecture. :p )

--<< Bruce >>--