PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Guest Assistance Pass for Disabled?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

menicksmom
09-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Has anyone read this article and know if it is legit? It will GREATLY change our ability to attend Disneyland if they eliminate the current pass. Time-wise, I don't see how it will work if they photograph each disabled person and have one Cast Member with an iPad running the show....

http://specialneedsoc.com/2013/09/18/guest-assistance-card-program-to-end-at-disneyland-and-disney-california-adventure/

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 07:00 AM
There has been a change coming every since the expose over people holding the Guest Assistance Cards SELLING access to strangers - making a profit off of a system designed to make guests with special needs more accommodating. I think there will be tweaks as they roll out the program to make it more efficient while maintaining the goal of reducing the abuse that made national news. We already have a trip planned for the weekend the rumors fueled by posts from some CM's say the new system is due to be implemented. I'll be interested to see how well it goes.

menicksmom
09-20-2013, 07:11 AM
Please let me know how it goes. We have a trip planned in early December.

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 07:16 AM
I'll be sure to report back, rumor has it that it's going to be very difficult to even GET the DAS card, so I'm a wee bit concerned as well.

tlovesdis
09-20-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm a little confused? Before, you would get the GAC and then go to the ride and still have to wait for some period, correct? I use an ecv and have always had to wait. Now instead of waiting in line at the exit of a ride, you will come back at your time and get right on, thus eliminating the wait.

I think they are trying to eliminate the thought to others that a GAC is an unlimited fast pass or front of the line pass, which it was never intended to be! It is an assitance card and they make the best accomodation for you in your given situation. There should NEVER be a front of the line pass for anyone, as that is not fair, nor is it a resonable accomodation!

I work for a non-profit, low income housing company and I know all about resonable accomodation and ADA compliance. It sounds as if what Disney is trying to do is more than fair.

I am actually looking forward to trying this out on my October trip. Waiting in the handicap line for rides like Pirates and Space Mountain were worse than the regular lines. Now I can get my time to come back and go do other things while I wait!!

I will definitley come back here after my trip and report how it goes for us!

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Actually people using mobility devices won't be issued the new card, we will be using the same tired system we've been using, the new system is designed for those who don't use mobility devices. Everything I've read says that in DCA if the guest is using a mobility device they won't issue the new program, I have other issues with that but I'll hold judgement until I see if it's fact or rumor. I think that Disney is going in the right direction but I do think there will need to be a bit of adjustments made. If my daughter needs her chair once in a while they can't deny her the card simply because she needed her chair that day. The other issue I have is the requirement that the actual card holder has to be there to get the return time, that is discriminatory since for regular fast passes anyone can go pick them up, as long as she is one of the group actually using the pass at the attraction it shouldn't matter who took her card to the kiosk for a return time. I'll be very interested to see how the multiple day cards work, rumor has it that if you can prove you're in a local hotel you can get a length of stay pass, other rumors are that you have to be on property to get the extended length of stay pass. That won't fly, they can give on property all sorts of perks that elevate the on property guest over the unwashed masses who stay on harbor but they can not discriminate against the disabled for staying in a less expensive hotel across the street.

Tinker44
09-20-2013, 02:46 PM
I will wait and reserve judgement until we get an officail rollout date and also when some of our "Padders" can share their personal experiences. Our son has Autism, and we have his first trip coming up in December. I had not intended to use the GAC if we could avoid it... I am hoping it won't be necessary (he does pretty well with lines etc). But if we need it, it will be good to know how to work with the DAS system. Will also be interesting if my mobility-impaired Mother in Law is able to join us and how we are able to deal with that.

*deep breath*

I am sure it will all turn out ok in the end.

AVP
09-20-2013, 02:47 PM
I've been asked why I haven't addressed this in the recent Updates, and the fact is that I'm getting really conflicting information from my CM sources, and Disney's public relations department isn't yet ready to give an on-the-record statement about the new program. Rather than stirring up more rumors, I really want to get the details directly from Disney.

AVP

tlovesdis
09-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Oh I didn't see anywhere in the article that it said people in mobility devices wouldn't need the card. Nothing is changing at DCA. DCA's lines were built ADA accesible. I wait in every line the same as everyone else, until the end they send me to the handicapped area and most of the time I have to wait a little longer to get on (Toy Story for example). So nothing is changing at DCA for us.

As for DL, I would imagine if they are implementing a new system, then they would have people in mobility devices get the pass as well, otherwise you still have the problem of the waiting in a very long line at the exit for certain rides. It sounds like the plan is to eliminate people waiting in a long line. But I could be wrong.

I guess we just have to wait and see how it goes.

I just think that getting overly upset about something that is not even implimented yet is not good! The information hasn't even come from Disney itself, only from a few "sources". And any new system is going to have it's hiccups!!!

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Which is why I'm treating everything I read as rumors, the only fact we have is changes are coming, they are needed but like everything else, it will have growing pains, I feel bad for the CM's who have to deal with the cheaters trying to scam the new system.

tlovesdis
09-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Which is why I'm treating everything I read as rumors, the only fact we have is changes are coming, they are needed but like everything else, it will have growing pains, I feel bad for the CM's who have to deal with the cheaters trying to scam the new system.

I agree about treating it all as rumors for now! But the OP seemed really really upset!!!

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 02:56 PM
There are a lot of folks very upset with the proposed ways of the new system, I had a trip planned for the weekend of the roll out so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

AnotherJenny
09-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I'll be very interested to see how the multiple day cards work, rumor has it that if you can prove you're in a local hotel you can get a length of stay pass, other rumors are that you have to be on property to get the extended length of stay pass. That won't fly, they can give on property all sorts of perks that elevate the on property guest over the unwashed masses who stay on harbor but they can not discriminate against the disabled for staying in a less expensive hotel across the street.

They could issue the length of stay passes based on park hopper length for off-site guests and for the amount of days reserved for on-site. It's only the unwashed AP masses who they would be discriminating against in that case. Just like with early entry...

What if they issued them for a maximum of say, 3 days? If you were going for 4-6 days you would have to get one twice, but it would drastically cut down on AP holders who use them for months, even when the member of their party who was issued the GAC is not with them that day.

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 03:04 PM
That would be another standard they could use, but we live in Nor cal and all have AP's, so the hopper plan won't work for us, however I have no problem showing my hotel receipt that shows I'm registered from xx to xx and asking for a pass for that time frame. I always thought giving passes for 3 months for AP's was just asking for cheaters to abuse the system. I really do think that this system will work with a little tweaking, I am concerned for the invisible disabilities like Traumatic Brain Injured or Autistic guests. None of the CM's have medical degrees all they have is a list of how can we make your visit more accommodating. I'm sure there are going to be disabled guests that are denied due to the lack of experience on the CM's parts.

candles71
09-20-2013, 03:07 PM
even when the member of their party who was issued the GAC is not with them that day.

Which is why I love the idea of pictures being attached.

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 03:09 PM
I really think that the photo being on the card is the key to slowing down the cheats like that, I mean there's not much to stop someone from 'selling' their access if they manage to get the card, but with the fast pass system what do they have to offer? it's no different than the general fast pass system other than it will work on attractions that don't currently offer fast pass.

candles71
09-20-2013, 03:14 PM
There are people complaining at the idea of them taking pictures of children. I just now thought about pointing out they already have their pictures for the tickets here in California.
Mamma, I pm'd you about something that came up in the discussions that troubled me, but I didn't want to start a debate.

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 03:20 PM
I answered the PM, and as for the photos, um if they have Annual passes they have photos, if they have more than a single day ticket they have photos...it's a choice, if you want to go to Disneyland and you want to have the accommodations offered by the program, you have to accept that part of that accommodation is to make that pass guest specific and just a name won't cut it anymore. We've all seen the card hand off cheat happen, one of the members gets a card but isn't in the mood to ride the attraction so they hand it off to someone else who claims to be said person. The CM's can't demand and ID so they have to accept it even if their spidey senses say it's a cheat. The photo eliminates that problem.

candles71
09-20-2013, 03:31 PM
My thoughts exactly. I, too, know it is just rumor and speculation. Like I said in another thread, I hope we get some clarity soon, but it could be changing and adjusting for quite awhile to come. Thanks for listening.:)

menicksmom
09-20-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm not upset at all. I was just wondering if it was legitimate (since I hadn't seen an official statement from Disney). My son is autistic & they've always been very accommodating. The wait off to the side (not a cut-in-front-of-the-line pass) of a ride or a wait at the exit works fine with us, so he isn't crowded & swinging his arms & bumping into other people in line. I was just wondering if we'd need to extend our trip a couple days to get everything in, especially if each ride is going to need a return time & search for our son's photo on a iPad. Might slow down the trip considerably.

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 04:48 PM
I am only speculating but I was under the impression that the cards will actually have their photos on them much like the photo pass card system so the CM's just scan it? Only time will tell but your trip is planned for December and the word is it will roll out to the public on the 9th of October so there will be time for you to decide after several of us have been to the parks and share our experiences. I'm going to be there the 9th thru the 13th and another special needs mom will be there the following weekend with her son who has autism so we'll be able to give a review on how we think the system is doing and what tweaks it may need.

menicksmom
09-20-2013, 04:52 PM
I always provide documentation (though they never ask for it and really don't even look at it). I am glad to offer it to "prove" a disability. Am I wrong to think they should ask for it? I'm sure it violates some laws, but I don't think it should. Maybe I'm off base???? Or not thinking of something???

MammaSilva
09-20-2013, 04:54 PM
It violates the American with Disabilities act and the HIPPA laws, the CM's are forbidden to ask or even look at any documentation, which makes their job so much more difficult but at the same time, like anything else, if they could ask for documentation, the cheaters would provide fake paperwork so it really doesn't help the problem in general. :(

Edited to add, the CM's never ever say that a guest doesn't have a disability, they ask a series of questions to determine how they can best accommodate your situation. For example, my daughter has issues that put us in the alternate entrance category because she has multiple issues that could potentially create a problem for other guests and cast members who would have to try and help evacuate her from a queue should the situation arise, it's better for us and the guests around us to wait in an alternate location. I don't have a problem with the idea of a return time, it 'should' actually make things better over all rather than just going and joining the long line of folks who have rented wheelchairs thinking it will get them to the front of the line.

Susie63
09-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Thank you for this thread. I realize that much of the proposed change is rumor,as there have been no "official" announcements from Disney. I really liked the fp return time for RSR when we were DL in Feb. I waited much longer in the alternate entrance than the regular standby line. I hope that it works out for everyone and makes it so difficult for people who don't need the GAC, and that they grow up and grab a brain. They should be grateful that they have the ability to use the stand-by line. Karma will repay them....

adriennek
09-21-2013, 07:15 PM
I waited much longer in the alternate entrance than the regular standby line.

I bolded. :)

Here's why I have hard time with the article originally linked at the beginning of this thread: There IS no such thing as not waiting in line. I've waited in that alternate entrance line. I've waited in other alternate entrance lines in the resort that are not short. So many people don't realize that.