PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Haunted Mansion Holiday (spoiler thread)

Pages : [1] 2

cstephens
09-14-2013, 10:02 AM
With the new changes to Haunted Mansion Holiday this year, I thought I'd start a spoiler thread so we could discuss.

I think my favorite thing is the addition to the portrait hall pictures after you get out of the stretch room.

Rufus T Firefly
09-14-2013, 10:41 AM
With the new changes to Haunted Mansion Holiday this year, I thought I'd start a spoiler thread so we could discuss.

I think my favorite thing is the addition to the portrait hall pictures after you get out of the stretch room.

Agreed. Zero has been underused in the past. Finally some love for the little ghost dog.

megzrg
09-14-2013, 11:11 AM

hehehehehe.....feeling giggly now that you shared that semi-spoiler. That is my son's favorite part of the ride and we are gong to be down there in 2 weeks from Idaho. Unfortunately, I promised that I wouldn't share any spoilers that I learned but now I know where to keep an eye on his face so I can enjoy his excitement.

Thanks!

DisneyFunFamily4
09-14-2013, 12:08 PM
We walked through the hallway so fast last night I didn't notice zero. We always love this time of year at DL! the changes are a lot if fun! We'll be riding it as much as possible over the next few months.

tea4two
09-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Did anyone spot the monkey bride?

Rufus T Firefly
09-14-2013, 04:37 PM
I looked for the monkey bride, but I couldn't find her. I did spot the the dancing monkeys between the pipe organ and the Christmas tree.

cstephens
09-14-2013, 10:37 PM
I didn't see the monkey bride when I rode yesterday. The husband said he saw it today, on the left side near the end of the attic, but it wasn't lit up. I couldn't find Sally's box last night and still couldn't find it today. There seem to be fewer wrapped boxes to me. I did find the hidden Mickey in the ballroom in the snow. I think it might have been there last year, as I vaguely recall hearing something about it.

megzrg
09-15-2013, 04:43 AM
I didn't see the monkey bride when I rode yesterday. The husband said he saw it today, on the left side near the end of the attic, but it wasn't lit up. I couldn't find Sally's box last night and still couldn't find it today. There seem to be fewer wrapped boxes to me. I did find the hidden Mickey in the ballroom in the snow. I think it might have been there last year, as I vaguely recall hearing something about it.

You are right about the snow, that snow Mickey has been in the ballroom before. I don't know if it is in the same place (I haven't got down there yet), but we just watched a walk through as part of a bonus feature on Nightmare Before Christmas and it was there by the coffin in that.

Okay, I may be showing some ignorance.....but what do monkeys have to do with the Haunted Mansion or Nightmare Before Christmas? OR is this a tie-in with the Oz movie?

Janis and Aaron
09-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Okay, I may be showing some ignorance.....but what do monkeys have to do with the Haunted Mansion or Nightmare Before Christmas? OR is this a tie-in with the Oz movie?

I may be wrong, and someone please correct me if I am, but years ago the Imagineers added a couple of those monkeys with the clanging cymbals to the attic scene. I want to say this was done for HMH. They were just regular off-the-shelf toys and didn't work for long. Ever since then, they've tucked one of these cymbal monkeys somewhere in the attic scene (again, this might just be for HMH).

Stephen King's short story "The Monkey" scarred me at a young age, and I find these cymbal monkeys creepier than they probably are to undamaged folks. ;)

Jodi
09-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Ok, so now I have a bunch of things to look for next time!

I really liked the new effects in th stretching room!

tea4two
09-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Janis is correct -- the monkey bride is a kind of in-joke going back to the group of unsuccessful clanging monkeys from several years ago.

jsilkey
09-15-2013, 08:56 PM
We only went this year, so I don't have anything to compare to, but in the scene at the top of the elevator just before the "glass" shatters there is a hidden Mickey on the edge of the scene.

cstephens
09-16-2013, 07:28 AM
I may be wrong, and someone please correct me if I am, but years ago the Imagineers added a couple of those monkeys with the clanging cymbals to the attic scene. I want to say this was done for HMH. They were just regular off-the-shelf toys and didn't work for long. Ever since then, they've tucked one of these cymbal monkeys somewhere in the attic scene (again, this might just be for HMH).

Yes, they did them just for HMH, and they were pretty creepy. I'm guessing that it's also a reminder of the normal bride that's in the attic, since she gets removed for HMH. The first couple of years, they had the monkey bride on the right side, but it's been on the left for the past few years. The year that they added Oogie Boogie to HMH, we were laughing pretty hard that they gave him a cymbal in the attic. :)

Speaking of Oogie, I'm disappointed that they didn't put his topiary out in the garden this year.

And, none of us remembers Sally's hand being able to wave at the end, so we think that's new too.

olegc
09-16-2013, 08:20 AM

Stephen King's short story "The Monkey" scarred me at a young age, and I find these cymbal monkeys creepier than they probably are to undamaged folks. ;)

it wasn't couple - it was A LOT. 1st year there was one - and then a couple of years later the twist was the whole attic was filled.

Now there is an Oogie Boogie dressed as one with cymbals in honorarium of the cymbal monkeys. I did not see a monkey bride BUT I did see a monkey see-saw horse next to Oogie in the attic and the monkey tombstone out front was new to me. The video in the stretching room was neat but I liked the big jack effect better. Too much detail in the dark for the video to be effective IMHO.

HeavenOnEarth
09-16-2013, 08:33 AM
All I can say about this years Holiday overlay....WOW!!! Went during the weekend and Disney has really done an amazing job of turning the Mansion into something really speacial this year.

Mickeygirlforever
09-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Great job this year in my opinion. Zero's always been my favorite character so I'm so glad he's featured so much more!
The gingerbread house was amazing, one of the best they've done. I did happen to spot the little dancing monkies in the ballroom but didn't see the little bride this year. LOVE the new effect in the stretching room, especially once the lights come back on!
I've never heard of Sally's box though...what is that?!

olegc
09-16-2013, 12:53 PM

as you exit - instead of Little Leota you have Sally sitting on box. I did not notice but it has been reported she waves now.

BTW - Starting Oct 4th (the real 13th anniversary) there is supposed to be a scavenger hunt of sorts in the mansion - finding 13 things. I am sure some of them have been posted here already - but be on the lookout.

cstephens
09-16-2013, 02:19 PM
The gingerbread house was amazing, one of the best they've done.

Since there are 13 numbers on the gingerbread house, I'm wondering if they'll open one each week to reveal something inside.

as you exit - instead of Little Leota you have Sally sitting on box.

Ummm, no, that's not what I meant by Sally's box.

In the attic, for as long as I can remember, but I can't remember if it was from the first year, there's been a box that's wrapped in the same pattern as Sally's dress. I've always liked seeing it, and looking to see where it's put every year. I don't know that anyone else cares about it, but it's something I've always paid attention to.

tea4two
09-16-2013, 03:17 PM
...In the attic, for as long as I can remember, but I can't remember if it was from the first year, there's been a box that's wrapped in the same pattern as Sally's dress. I've always liked seeing it, and looking to see where it's put every year. I don't know that anyone else cares about it, but it's something I've always paid attention to.

We look for it, too. Weren't there two boxes in Sally's dress print last year? So many things to look for this year!

olegc
09-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Ummm, no, that's not what I meant by Sally's box.

In the attic, for as long as I can remember, but I can't remember if it was from the first year, there's been a box that's wrapped in the same pattern as Sally's dress. I've always liked seeing it, and looking to see where it's put every year. I don't know that anyone else cares about it, but it's something I've always paid attention to.

ok - thanks.

Mickeygirlforever
09-18-2013, 09:15 AM
BTW - Starting Oct 4th (the real 13th anniversary) there is supposed to be a scavenger hunt of sorts in the mansion - finding 13 things. I am sure some of them have been posted here already - but be on the lookout.

Ah is that when that's supposed to start? I asked cast members this last weekend because I just couldn't find anything, and none of them had a clue haha.

dlfansx4
09-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Since there are 13 numbers on the gingerbread house, I'm wondering if they'll open one each week to reveal something inside.

Oh, that would be really cool. We all agreed when we saw it that we thought those doors should open.

We loved the new effects. We found the hidden mickey in the stretching room and the monkey bride right away. DS loved the train going around the tree (was that there last year?)!!

We went through the line too fast the first time to see Zero but on our second time, we stayed at the back of the pack just so we could watch him.

DisneyFunFamily4
09-22-2013, 12:07 AM
We found the monkey bride today and we saw Zero in the hallway pics. Love that. We did notice when were were there on the 13th that some of the pictures were hung upside down, they are fixed now. but we passed though the hall so quickly we didn't see zero. I think the new changes are all pretty awesome. I love this ride, it just makes me happy.

olegc
09-27-2013, 10:55 AM
well I guess the Park did not wait until Oct 4th. The first "door" of the advent gingerbread house has been revealed.

The item shown is Jack Skellington's face

I guess a new one will be revealed each day?

cstephens
09-27-2013, 11:09 AM
I guess a new one will be revealed each day?

Each day or each week? In previous years when they've had promotions, like the spoons and patches that they used to offer at Cafe Orleans/French Market, I think they had a new one each week. You know, they have to give people an incentive to come back the entire holiday season! :)