PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass Opinions

SacTown Chronic
09-09-2003, 12:42 PM
I have noticed several posts that refer to fastpass in a negative manner. I am a bit curious about whether people dislike it for themselves personally or in general.

My opinion is that it is a great system and most fastpass stations are nicely themed. I have read statements that wax eloquently about the various queues and how fastpass usage causes people to miss out on this. I find that the queues are neat the first time or two but then it's just standing in line.

So I want to hear what everyone thinks. Love it? Hate it? Why?

I'd also like to know what other rides could use fastpass and how would you do it. For example, I feel that Matterhorn needs fastpass but I have no idea where to put the machines.

Discuss.

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 01:23 PM
I love the fast passes! Without them we would spend most of our time in lines. Now, we just organize our day according to the fast passes. It's great. I agree that the Matterhorn needs a fast pass also.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Please, do a search. There are tons of exhaustive threads on this.

TwinGemII
09-09-2003, 01:32 PM
I love the fast pass! Without those, we may not be able to do all the rides.

My boyfriend and I go to the parks so often we have a great routine according to the passes and are able to enjoy the rides a few times each during our stay!

I agree... the Matterhorn does need the fast pass system!

:D

SacTown Chronic
09-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Please, do a search. There are tons of exhaustive threads on this.

Please help me out here. I have done a search with fastpass and I only come up with threads telling you how to use fastpass or what fastpass machines are connected, or AAA parkhopper vs. regular park hopper fastpass options. I couldn't find any about people's opinion of the fastpass system in general or what rides could use it. I'm only typing in the word "fastpass" for my search. What if anything else should I be entering in my search?

TwinGemII
09-09-2003, 03:07 PM
SacTown ~ Sorta new at this so I'm not sure what words to use to find this... I think this thread you've started will start what you're looking for.

The fast pass in general is great. I think any ride that doesn't have it could use it. Even the least popular rides get 30+ min waits so having a fast pass would speed you along quite nicely.

:)

EandCDad
09-09-2003, 03:17 PM
When I typed in the word "fastpass" I got 653 threads, so I don't exactly blame you for not finding some of these. I narrowed it down by puting in the name of a poster who I knew posts in most of the prior fastpass threads, not that that would have helped you.

Here's a FP Good/Bad thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108&highlight=fastpass)

Here's another Fair/Unfair (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7412&highlight=fastpass)

gliterrboy
09-09-2003, 03:21 PM
Just went a week ago and was able to REALLY juggle the Fastpass system to make our trip AWESOME!!! i think it was amazing and kept us all from getting bored out of our mind (and too hot as well)! The only thing that did bum me out was having to power walk through the Indy queue b/c of the lie coming up behind us. I wish we had more time to enjoy that, but i CERTAINLY don't want to stand in that queue for 2 hours to see it all. It made Splash mountain AMAZING b/c most of the line was outside and it was really really hot. It was nice to collect several fastpasses, then go do something slow like Tiki Room, then go ride rides, get more fast passes, go eat lunch, get more fast passes, go in the shops, etc. I got to really enjoy somethings I have never taken the time on before. I never would spend TOO long in the shops, or jsut sitting on a bench eating a Dole whip b/c I didn't want to take away from the 2 hours I had to stand in for each line. SO it made the trip AMAZING!!! we also felt VERY cool to walk by people who had spent 100 minutes in line. Makes you feel happy. (And yes, matterhorn REALLY needs a fastpass. We waited in line for 30 minutes, longest line of the WHOLE day since we had fastpass). Ok, that was long and fairly UN-informative, but my family and i give it MAJOR thumbs up!!! It actually made the trip feel more magical and/or special!

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 03:26 PM
I would vote for having a fast pass available for Peter Pan. That line is always so long.

Disneyfreak
09-09-2003, 04:47 PM
I dont like fastpass because people dont know about it and it causes countless fastpass lines to be empty, waisting all that valuable space. Just look at Potc, its always empty, and do you know where all of those people are who usually fill that space, IN THE WALKWAYS causing Disneyland to feel way more crowded then it really is. Matterhorn Bobsleds with fastpass would be a disaster. Why do you think they dont do it. The ride is just like splash mountain for capacity. People in stand by would be waiting on average over 2 hours just like sm. Now I love the system for me in general, but I think if you like the fastpass system and you are a guru, its just like getting a special assistance pass when your not injured at all and thats wrong. If we went back to the old way, lines would be so much shorter because we would be able to fill in all that dead space. Now if you are insistant on fastpass then make them unlimited! That way alot more people would be using them making that dead space extinct. :cool:

ralfrick
09-09-2003, 05:25 PM
I think it's great.

As far as crowded walkways...
Go look at Kevin's chart on Miceage about how many other options have vanished: subs, circlevision, people mover/rocket rods, keel boats, skyway, et al. My policy is that until I see the crowds in walkways WITH some additional attractions in place, then those crowds are not the result of fastpass.

I've seen other negatives cited, some by Kevin as well, but they just don't stand up to scrutiny. Some machines aren't connected, and some in the know utilize that knowledge. Maybe they should just close the loophole, not throw out the baby with the bathwater, or some other suitable cliche' for connect them up, don't condem the whole system.

Some act like the whole system is an insider's secret. But, seriously, if you haven't bothered to look at the map they hand out at the gate, your curiousity is bound to be aroused the first time you see 2 lines into something, and there's always a CM that can explain it all. After that, there's no excuse.

I thought it odd they put it on POTC since that's such a high capacity ride, anyway, but it's always worked great for me.

Elly
09-09-2003, 06:22 PM
I can see both sides of the issue. Personally I have very much enjoyed using fastpass. Snce we live a long way from the park, it really adds to our ability to really enjoy all the attractions in our limited time at the park. On the other hand, I have never seen the stand by lines so long! I felt sorry for all those folks visiting the parks for only one day or with APs who had to stand in those ridiculous lines. No ride is worth over an hour's wait. I don't know what the solution is, but I don't think the story is over.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-09-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic
Please help me out here......What if anything else should I be entering in my search? Wow, I didn't realize how many threads have used "fastpass" in their title. It looks like everyone keeps starting new threads. ;) When I tried the search just now I clicked the "search titles only" box and got 56 results. I guess then I would look at those that had many replies, or descriptive titles. Thanks to EandC for a couple, and here's another one I found. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2632)

There's probably even more threads that didn't put fastpass in the title, or used "FP" instead (and I HATE the fact that you can't search for less than a 4 character word. :mad: )

SacTown Chronic
09-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
When I typed in the word "fastpass" I got 653 threads, so I don't exactly blame you for not finding some of these. I narrowed it down by puting in the name of a poster who I knew posts in most of the prior fastpass threads, not that that would have helped you.

Here's a FP Good/Bad thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108&highlight=fastpass)

Here's another Fair/Unfair (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7412&highlight=fastpass)

Thanks for the threads. They contain exactly the discussions I wanted to sink my teeth into.

sleepyjeff
09-09-2003, 06:59 PM
I am a little confused.......is this thread about the pros and cons of fast pass:confused:

SacTown Chronic
09-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
I am a little confused.......is this thread about the pros and cons of fast pass:confused:

I wanted to know what reasons there were for people not liking the system. I on occasion read a post from someone that doesn't like it and I was curious why. So in a way I guess it is about the pros and cons. But I know the pros, I'm mainly interested in reading about the cons.

sleepyjeff
09-09-2003, 07:14 PM
I dislike Fast Pass because it is the third leg in a TDA attempt to clog the walkways of this park with so many people that you can't possibly see the lack of upkeep for all the crowds.

Leg 1: ODV carts everywhere.

Leg 2: Closed attractions everywhere.

Leg 3: Fast Pass......so even the rides that could absorb some of the people in their lines are not doing so.

Walt wanted us to think we were in another world when we entered the Park......more and more often I feel like I am at the DMV:|

donatello3000
09-10-2003, 01:07 AM
I think Fastpass works well with the rides at DCA, because they were made to work wit them. But at Disneyland, you end up with an empty Indy queue, empty Star Tours qeue, empty CarToon Spin qeue... and so on.
The Indy qeue has such great theming... At least I have a better chance at touching the pole and scaring the people in front of me and behind me. CarToon spin has a fun qeue too.
I never felt POTC needed Fastpass, because the lines moved steadily anyway! Now you get these crowds waiting outside on the walkways... UGH! Star Tours' wait never seemed that long to me, either. Now standby waiters have a boring wait in line... Can't really enjoy the AA anymore.

But do I hate FastPass? no. Do I use it? Of course I do. I just think that there are a few rides that don't need it (POTC, Splash, Star Tours). I also wouldn't mind waiting in a standby line if the qeue was themed.

Doodle Duck
09-10-2003, 06:52 AM
Being totally self centered this week...(and time of my life)...I love fast pass. I couldn't care less what it does or doesn't do for the general population, how it's percieved, misunderstood or creates empty spaces and is part of a plot etc...it works for me.

I only care if it will snow in Encinitas.