PDA

View Full Version : Ariel's Grotto is awesome!

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 10:27 AM
We went over to DCA over the weekend for the ABC Preview weekend. Of course in between the ABC attractions we kept going over to DL because we are not too happy with DCA. However, yesterday on our way to DL we were hungry and decided to stop by Ariel's Grotto. We had heard a lot about it and wanted to try something new and we keep on trying to give DCA a chance to impress us with something. We walked in with some hesitation and some hope and we ended up having a fabulous time! It was great there. We arrived around 11:30 am and went there for lunch. We sat outside by the water and the ambiance was wonderful. We had the little duckies swimming by us as I discreetly fed them some of my bread.:) Our service was outstanding. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The characters really added to our fun by coming around and interacting with all of the guests. Pluto was my favorite. He hung around and played around with us for a while. The other characters walked around playing with the kids as well as adults. Ariel of course was sitting downstairs looking great, smiling and waving at everyone. The music was appropriately pleasant with a nautical theme. And finally...........the food was very tasty! We had the special, which was a penne pasta with a creamy cheese sauce, cilantro, chopped tomatoes and rock shrimp. Yummy!!:p
So, in conclusion, we had a wonderful time. It made us appreciate DCA for something. We are definitley going back. Has anyone else experienced Ariel's Grotto and did you like it?

cstephens
09-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
Has anyone else experienced Ariel's Grotto and did you like it?

Yes, we had a great time (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/arielsgrotto011903.html). (NOTE TO FAIRYTALELOVER - the underlining is a link, not just underlined words.)

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
Yes, we had a great time (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/arielsgrotto011903.html). (NOTE TO FAIRYTALELOVER - the underlining is a link, not just underlined words.)

Thanks for the link. I just read your evaluation. It's too bad that Ariel was not there for you and your guests because she really does add to the atmosphere. But we are defintely going back. It's funny because we were discussing how there is really no place in DL that has character cafes with such a nice theme as Ariels Grotto. There is thr Carnation Cafe, I think that has the birthday character meals but I believe it's only for birthdays, although I am not sure about that.

Tigertail777
09-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Hmmm sounds nifty. Where exactly is this place in case I ever go back? (keep in mind this is someone that tried, but couldn't find golden dreams due to the weird park layout... try to be specific if you can please).

GreatWhiteShark
09-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Ariel's Gratto was a 2 thumbs up place for me!:)

Good food, good atmosphere and good prices.;)

I have never eaten anywhere that had character's all around and they made my experience 10x better that day. It is a definite for all to try once.
I will go back again next time I am at DCA.:D

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
Hmmm sounds nifty. Where exactly is this place in case I ever go back? (keep in mind this is someone that tried, but couldn't find golden dreams due to the weird park layout... try to be specific if you can please).

I understand about getting lost trying to find the Golden Dreams thing.....so did I :)
Anyway, it is located on the left hand side at the end of the bridge which goes over towards the Screamin' Roller Coaster. It is right on the water.

innerSpaceman
09-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Hmm, guess I'm in the minority here. While I had the most amazing dinner experience at Ariel's, it was all due to character interaction (Chip and Dale got rather funky with us after all the kiddies had left the restaurant).

I found the food to be mediocre and the limited menu selection to be abysmal.

Now, when the place was Wolfgang Puck's, it was the most delicious food ever to grace the Disneyland Resort.

Bill Catherall
09-09-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
Where exactly is this place in case I ever go back? (keep in mind this is someone that tried, but couldn't find golden dreams due to the weird park layout... try to be specific if you can please). Just walk straight down the pier from Golden Dreams. *snicker* :~D

it is located on the left hand side at the end of the bridge which goes over towards the Screamin' Roller Coaster Actually, the right hand side...looking over towards Screamin'.

Not Afraid
09-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
(Chip and Dale got rather funky with us after all the kiddies had left the restaurant).

Now, that must be the understatement of the year!:fez:

I like Ariel's, I don't love the food. I don't love any of the food at the DLR with the exception of some DTD locations and the Tratoria in DCA. Nothing inside the resort is wonderful enough to eat at over and over. Since I'm at DLR almost weekly, I get bored easily.

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Just walk straight down the pier from Golden Dreams. *snicker* :~D
Actually, the right hand side...looking over towards Screamin'.

LOL!!

Yes you are right! I am dyslexic today. Sorry.:)

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Now, that must be the understatement of the year!:fez:

I like Ariel's, I don't love the food. I don't love any of the food at the DLR with the exception of some DTD locations and the Tratoria in DCA. Nothing inside the resort is wonderful enough to eat at over and over. Since I'm at DLR almost weekly, I get bored easily.

Well, as I said, we had the special for that day. It was not a regular item on the menu. We have not yet tried the other items on the menu. We both like Fish n Chips and hope that they have a good one. I do agree, however, that their menu was a bit small. But, our pasta was delicious.

We were lucky enough to have a giant black bee attack the table next to us outside. We all freaked out....this thing was almost as big as a bird. Anyway, one of the waitresses came out and hit the bee upside its head with a menu and it fell into the water and before it could regain his composure to fly at us again, one of the ducks grabbed it with its beak and had him for lunch! Yuck! It was gross but entertaining. I was worried that the bee would sting the duck as he was chomping down but the duck seemed ok. Wierd experience.

Andrew
09-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Well, as I said, we had the special for that day. It was not a regular item on the menu.

Not to disagree with you, but that [the penne with shrimp] has been the "special" every time I've been there. I'm guessing that it always is. I could be wrong, they could rotate "specials". Has anyone seen a different "special" of the day?

And I agree, it was decent. I don't care for tomatoes and there were a lot of them on there (and the tomatoes were not mentioned by the server when she took my order) but I was able to scrape them off and not lose too much of the sauce.

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
Not to disagree with you, but that [the penne with shrimp] has been the "special" every time I've been there. I'm guessing that it always is. I could be wrong, they could rotate "specials". Has anyone seen a different "special" of the day?

And I agree, it was decent. I don't care for tomatoes and there were a lot of them on there (and the tomatoes were not mentioned by the server when she took my order) but I was able to scrape them off and not lose too much of the sauce.

Well, actually this is good news for me. Since that was my first time there, I assumed that the penne with shrimp was a temporary special. But, if this is available all the time, I will even go more often. As for the tomatoes, I agree that she should have told you about the them beforehand in case you don't like them. However, I love tomatoes. The more the merrier, so I loved it.

Andrew
09-09-2003, 12:54 PM
However, I love tomatoes. The more the merrier, so I loved it.

Great, you can have mine. :D :eek:

Morrigoon
09-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Although it does seem expensive at first, I think we determined the overall meal to be a good value, even if the food is only good, not great. Still, good is a decent evaluation for park food.

cstephens
09-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Nothing inside the resort is wonderful enough to eat at over and over. Since I'm at DLR almost weekly, I get bored easily.

It wasn't always like that. Plaza Pavilion. Casa Mex. Big Thunder BBQ. Cafe Orleans (when they still had a menu I liked). Monorail Cafe.

*sigh*

Andrew
09-09-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
It wasn't always like that. Plaza Pavilion. Casa Mex. Big Thunder BBQ. Cafe Orleans (when they still had a menu I liked). Monorail Cafe.

*sigh*

Even Pizza Port when it first opened, as compared to the anemic current offering. And the Plaza Inn, again when it had more than "chicken, pasta, or salad" on the menu.

CarlieB
09-09-2003, 02:00 PM
We had dinner at Ariel's Grotto last year, and while the food wasn't anything amazing (imho), the character interaction was fun:)
We got photos with heaps of characters, and Chip & Dale were cool. We were kidding around with Pluto (I think) and someone said a slightly naughty word (not too naughty, but a little bit;) ) Anyway, he made this big show of looking shocked and covering his ears, which I thought was really funny...good times:)
I do wish I'd been able to eat there when Wolfgang Puck was in charge - I like his food.

tod
09-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB
I do wish I'd been able to eat there when Wolfgang Puck was in charge - I like his food.

There are three of his cafés in Orange County (http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/myrestaurants/casual_dining/cafe.php): You may be able to eat at one of his places without going far.

--T
:fez:

dsnylndmom
09-09-2003, 03:01 PM
We always have a good time at Ariels. It's so relaxed and laid back compared to goofy's and I love sitting outside. I really enjoy the onion soup and cobb salad, alot of our "core group"(the same group that goes together over and over and over)really liked the Fish & chips. It's on our Must Do list for DCA

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 03:27 PM
I agree with you about how relaxing it is sitting outside by the water. We sat there for quite a long time enjoying the food and atmosphere.