PDA

View Full Version : Aladdin A Musical Spectacular

Pages : [1] 2

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 09:59 AM
I finally saw the Aladdin show at DCA over the weekend and I was blown away! I thought it was going to be another boring show with some people in character costumes being silly. But, it was fantastic! The acting, costumes, special effects, comedy etc... wonderful. After the show I asked the CM there if they are planning on getting rid of this show soon, because every time I like something they take it away:rolleyes: So, he told me that actually it is in the works that this show will be going to broadway. So at the moment they are in the process of submitting their updated script and proposal to be approved for the move. He figured the process may take up to a year though but he wasn't sure about the timing.
Anyway, what are your thoughts about this show? Did you like it or did you hate it?

Ghoulish Delight
09-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Because I don't feel like repeating myself....

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12229&highlight=aladdin

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Because I don't feel like repeating myself....

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12229&highlight=aladdin

Well I just read your reply and I must disagree with you. I thought it was a great quality show and very well done.

Ghoulish Delight
09-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
Well I just read your reply and I must disagree with you. I thought it was a great quality show and very well done. If you read everything I said, you'd know that I don't dislike the show. I simply find it FAR from the Broadway quality that they push it as.

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 11:07 AM
If you read everything I said, you'd know that I don't dislike the show. I simply find it FAR from the Broadway quality that they push it as.
Yes, I know that you did not dislike it. However I actually believe that all it needs is a few tweeks to turn it to a Broadway show. It has got what it takes.

SacTown Chronic
09-09-2003, 12:28 PM
When my wife announced that she wanted to see Aladdin while we were at DCA I was prepared to be bored as I don't like musicals. But to my surprise, I loved the show. I know it is too short to be a Broadway show (who goes to an amusement park expecting to see a Broadway quality show?) but it was the perfect length for me as well as our 5 year old. He started getting bored and restless right at the end. As for the show itself, it WAS funny and entertaining. The special effects were pretty neat and there were no glitches at all. We will be catching Aladdin again the next time we're at DCA.

Not Afraid
09-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Thank for the Link GD. My comments are there, I believe, and I still feel the same - not very interesting or entertaining.

EandCDad
09-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic
I know it is too short to be a Broadway show (who goes to an amusement park expecting to see a Broadway quality show?) but it was the perfect length for me as well as our 5 year old.

I think Ghoulish Delight's original comments about comparisons to a broadway show were in reaction to the way the show was originally promoted as being "broadway-caliber." Some people thought it was ok as a theme park show but fell well short of Broadway standards (the standard Disney was holding themselves to, based on their promotion.)

I thought the show was ok as a theme park show goes, better than most. As a broadway show, it fell short, but I'm assuming they will pump it prior to making it a full length show. My kids love it, though.

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 12:45 PM
This show is currently being considered to be on broadway. So, they have submitted a broadway calibre version of their show. Which means that they have legnthend it and also probably changed a few things here and there to be appropriate for Broadway. I just believe that the show has what it takes to be adapted for Broadway. And regardless of Broadway, it is still a great show at DCA for us. It's shows like these that remind me what Disney is capable of. When Disney really wants to do something right they go all out, in my opinion. Shows like this, Believe and Fantasmic really manifest the Disney capability of producing that magic. Too bad they didn't utilize all of this potential for the rest of DCA.

SacTown Chronic
09-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Oh, Broadway "caliber". I hadn't heard it promoted that way. You know, I'm an NFL "caliber" quarterback except for my weak arm and lack of speed. Typical marketing b.s.

EandCDad
09-09-2003, 12:52 PM
This show is currently being considered to be on broadway. So, they have submitted a broadway calibre version of their show.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "submitted." If you mean, that the show being shown in DCA is broadway caliber, simply because Disney plans to take it to broadway at some point, I'd say that is faulty logic. Bad plays and musicals open on Broadway all the time. I'm not saying Aladdin is bad, as a theme park show it is pretty good. However, sending it to broadway with just a few tweaks "here and there" would be a mistake, in my opinion. But again, that's just my opinion. Other people might think differently. No matter how many times someone stamps their foot and says "but it's goooooooooooood" isn't really gonna change my opinion.

Ghoulish Delight
09-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic
Oh, Broadway "caliber". I hadn't heard it promoted that way. You know, I'm an NFL "caliber" quarterback except for my weak arm and lack of speed. Typical marketing b.s. It was promoted exactly like that, with Anne Hamburger making press releases referring to "night out at the theater" type scenarios with the in-park show.

I felt that the show suffers because of the Broadway aspirations. The story in the DCA version show is rushed, forced, and muddled. To me, it felt that, instead of creating a show for DCA, they had a full Broadway show in mind and just tried to cram it into the 40 minute theme park format. I would have much preferred that taken the same ammount of effort and built a show from the ground up specifically for DCA.

SacTown Chronic
09-09-2003, 01:06 PM
I can believe it was promoted like that. Too bad. They were just setting themselves for criticism. They shoulda promoted it as a Disney quality production. I think most people would agree to that.

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "submitted." If you mean, that the show being shown in DCA is broadway caliber, simply because Disney plans to take it to broadway at some point, I'd say that is faulty logic. Bad plays and musicals open on Broadway all the time. I'm not saying Aladdin is bad, as a theme park show it is pretty good. However, sending it to broadway with just a few tweaks "here and there" would be a mistake, in my opinion. But again, that's just my opinion. Other people might think differently. No matter how many times someone stamps their foot and says "but it's goooooooooooood" isn't really gonna change my opinion.

Well I am not here to change your opinion. I thought that it was gooooooooooooood! In fact I thought it was greaaaaaaaaaaat!

What I mean by submitted is that a revised script has been "submitted" to the committee which approves broadway shows. I am not sure how that system works already. But the CM told me that they are waiting to sign the contract once their script has been approved. Then they are off to Broadway. At which time they will replace this show with a new one at DCA.

DivaPrincess
09-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Coming soon to Broadway: Full length, theatrical versions of the Disney Animated Hit Movies of the late 80's and 90's! Now showing : Beauty and the Beast and Lion King! Coming soon: The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Hunchback of Notre Dame! (What, no Pocahantas? Come on folks, we know better than that!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Disney movie fan and a total theatre lover. I'm excited to see these shows go to broadway. I am skeptical about Aladdin - the effects were great, but the book (or storyline) was extremely lacking. It would need to be tripled in length for Broadway. I don't doubt Disney could do it, but I agree that it needs a lot of work if truly heading to broadway.

I also wish they'd put as much thought and effort into current Disney movies. I miss the animated MUSICALS!

Not Afraid
09-09-2003, 01:45 PM
I miss the good old days of Broadway.

GreatWhiteShark
09-09-2003, 01:54 PM
It is a good show.......maybe not compariable to a Brodaway show, however still a good show.
Because of that, it is not a Brodway show I will not try to even compair it to that.

I don't care what someone said to promote the show, it is called a "marketing scheem". Sounds like it worked, cuz lots of people are going to see it and most are enjoying it.

So once it hit's Brodway, if it ever does then I will make my comparison then.

Ghoulish Delight
09-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by GreatWhiteShark
It is a good show.......maybe not compariable to a Brodaway show, however still a good show.
Because of that, it is not a Brodway show I will not try to even compair it to that.

I don't care what someone said to promote the show, it is called a "marketing scheem". Sounds like it worked, cuz lots of people are going to see it and most are enjoying it.

So once it hit's Brodway, if it ever does then I will make my comparison then. They invited the comparison. If I opened an art exhibit exclaiming, "Come see works euqal to those of Picasso and VanGogh," wouldn't you expect the reviews to address that comparison?

And it wasn't JUST a marketing scheme. This was slated, from the very start, to be a dry run for the eventual Broadway show. And it shows signs of it, of being nothing more than a skeletal story to "work some kinks out." As such, I feel they are cheating the park going public out of the highest possible quality park show by instead showing a third of a broadway show.

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 02:23 PM
They invited the comparison. If I opened an art exhibit exclaiming, "Come see works euqal to those of Picasso and VanGogh," wouldn't you expect the reviews to address that comparison?

And it wasn't JUST a marketing scheme. This was slated, from the very start, to be a dry run for the eventual Broadway show. And it shows signs of it, of being nothing more than a skeletal story to "work some kinks out." As such, I feel they are cheating the park going public out of the highest possible quality park show by instead showing a third of a broadway show.

But, when I hear there will be a broadway type show at DCA I am not expecting to see a 2 hour broadway show at DCA. I would assume it would be a Disney "version" of a broadway show. I can't imagine having a bunch of little kids from infant and toddlers to older sitting through a 2 hour show, when they want to go on rides etc...
In addition, why do you feel cheated? You got a sneak preview of sorts to a future broadway show. Did you actually expect to be able to watch a full broadway show at no additional cost to your entrance ticket? That would be great but I dont see Disney being that generous. I actually feel lucky that I got to see 45 minutes worth of a future broadway show. It was fun, and just long enough, afterwhich we all resumed going on our rides.

Ghoulish Delight
09-09-2003, 02:24 PM
But, when I hear there will be a broadway type show at DCA I am not expecting to see a 2 hour broadway show at DCA. I would assume it would be a Disney "version" of a broadway show. I can't imagine having a bunch of little kids from infant and toddlers to older sitting through a 2 hour show, when they want to go on rides etc...
In addition, why do you feel cheated? You got a sneak preview of sorts to a future broadway show. Did you actually expect to be able to watch a full broadway show at no additional cost to your entrance ticket? That would be great but I dont see Disney being that generous. I actually feel lucky that I got to see 45 minutes worth of a future broadway show. It was fun, and just long enough, afterwhich we all resumed going on our rides. No. What I expected was a show, however long, with a good story that didn't feel chopped up and spliced back together.

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 02:30 PM
No. What I expected was a show, however long, with a good story that didn't feel chopped up and spliced back together.

Well, I am sorry it came across that way to you. I didn't even notice any of that.I was too busy being entertained.

GreatWhiteShark
09-09-2003, 02:32 PM
No. What I expected was a show, however long, with a good story that didn't feel chopped up and spliced back together.

Man you expect too much for a $47 ticket for entry into DCA.

I really don't want to make more out of it than what it really is. It is not a Brodway show, it is a Disney show at an Amusment Park. So if you went there expecting Brodway, then I am sooooo sorry for you.

Ghoulish Delight
09-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by GreatWhiteShark
Man you expect too much for a $47 ticket for entry into DCA.

I really don't want to make more out of it than what it really is. It is not a Brodway show, it is a Disney show at an Amusment Park. So if you went there expecting Brodway, then I am sooooo sorry for you. The show at Alladin's Oasis in Disneyland is the cheapest little show even seen, and yet it doesn't feel like it's been cobbled together from bits of another show. Animazement was a great show with a decent, entertaining story. You'd think with the budget they gave Disney's Alladin, they could have done the same. I WASN'T EXPECTING BROADWAY. Do I need to say it again!?! I WASN'T EXPECTING BROADWAY. I was expecting a good theme park show, not a bad broadway mini-show.

And, just for the record, http://www.themeparkcity.com/NEW_DL_DCA_Aladdin.htm

Disneyland Resort President Cynthia Harriss stated, "...Now families can play in ‘a bug’s land,’ ride ‘Soarin’ Over California’ and, at no additional cost, see a wonderful, exciting Broadway show - all for one price

Thanks to one of my evil minions for hunting down the link ;)

Not Afraid
09-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Thanks GD. I know I saw the "Word of Disney" call it a Broadway show early-on. I remember that Press Release well. How disappointing for all of us. It's really too bad. It coulda been a contender.:|

fairytalelover
09-09-2003, 02:47 PM
The show at Alladin's Oasis in Disneyland is the cheapest little show even seen, and yet it doesn't feel like it's been cobbled together from bits of another show. Animazement was a great show with a decent, entertaining story. You'd think with the budget they gave Disney's Alladin, they could have done the same. I WASN'T EXPECTING BROADWAY. Do I need to say it again!?! I WASN'T EXPECTING BROADWAY. I was expecting a good theme park show, not a bad broadway mini-show.

And, just for the record, http://www.themeparkcity.com/NEW_DL_DCA_Aladdin.htm

Thanks to one of my evil minions for hunting down the link ;)

It seems to me that a broadway mini-show is a better deal than any good theme park show. I was actually expecting a show like Aladdin's Oasis at DL. I was happily dissapointed.