PDA

View Full Version : AP Photo gripe

Pages : [1] 2

Tinkermommy
08-22-2013, 06:03 PM
About two weeks ago, the Tinkerteen and her boyfriend were hassled at the gate by a cast member who said their AP pictures were too old. Both have had APs since they were kids. Both have their APs renewed every year online. I'm not sure about her boyfriend's picture, but I know the Tinkerteen's was maybe 4 or 5 years old. It was obviously her. The cast member wasn't nice about it; he wrote down their pass numbers and told them he was going to have their photos deleted. He left them feeling like they'd done something wrong.

I went with them last week for the Indy thing, and indeed, their photos had been deleted. The CM at the gate that time was very nice, and overrode them both after they showed ID. No big deal. We only went for Indy and couldn't hang around, so we didn't take the time to find an unoccupied photopass photographer before leaving.

Today, they went and had no problem at the gate, but they were denied the use of their PAP discount because they hadn't taken new pictures yet (despite both having photo id), and were told they'd exceeded their maximum number of entries without a photo (which is, apparently, two.)

Here's my gripe. Her boyfriend's pass renews in just a few weeks, so obviously, he's been using this pass with that photo all year long. I've known him for two years, and his appearance hasn't changed since then, so that pass was accepted several times a month for almost a year (and all the previous years) with no problem. The photos were several years old because we renewed them using a system Disney has encouraged us to use all the years we've renewed, and nobody ever complained until now. The photos were missing today only because one cast member suddenly decided on THAT particular day that they weren't good anymore and yanked them both, and their $600-plus passes were then held hostage until they took the time to go get a new photo.

I understand the need for recognizable photos, but I felt this could have been handled much better. It just seems so random, and such an obnoxious way of dealing with it -- especially when the problem ultimately stems from someone having been a longtime customer. Sigh.

tea4two
08-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the way this was handled. Have you contacted DL Guest Services or spoken with someone at City Hall about it? If you have dates, times, and CM names, that would help get your message to the right supervisors.

Tinkermommy
08-22-2013, 06:14 PM
I haven't, because they didn't think to get his name. I think I might write a letter, just to gently suggest a situation like this could be handled better -- especially when it seemed so random.

Malcon10t
08-22-2013, 06:14 PM
I agree with tea4two. You need to write and explain this. However, I do not understand how they were denied their PAP discounts, as photos don't appear on registers. How would the cashiers/servers know there was no pic?

Tinkermommy
08-22-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't know, but the Tinkerteen (who is still there) said the cashier at the place they went to eat denied them the use of their discount because their passes were blocked. I may have misunderstood -- it may have been someone else who told them it was for exceeding the max number of entries. But I do know a cashier at a food place denied them the use of their discount because their passes were blocked.

PS - I do realize that in the big picture, this really is a small issue. I posted because it annoyed me, and as a heads-up to other AP holders who might have kids with older pictures on their existing passes.

Malcon10t
08-22-2013, 06:42 PM
I think it could be a big issue. I wouldn't want a teen at the park harassed over something like that, and to have their passes blocked when they are paid for is just wrong.

AVP
08-22-2013, 07:47 PM
I would write a letter, and basically outline exactly what you said here. It is absurd the number of ways these passes can "break," and this is just another issue with the system Disney has created.

AVP

Tinkermommy
08-22-2013, 07:51 PM
I think it could be a big issue. I wouldn't want a teen at the park harassed over something like that, and to have their passes blocked when they are paid for is just wrong.

I appreciate you saying that. I was waffling between being annoyed, and thinking I was just being whiny. First world problems and all that. :p But you hit the nail on the head -- those are some very pricey, paid-in-full passes, and to have them blocked because one crabby cast member arbitrarily decided he didn't like the pictures and deleted them seems wrong.

Thanks too, AVP.

currence
08-22-2013, 07:59 PM
I would write a letter, and basically outline exactly what you said here. It is absurd the number of ways these passes can "break," and this is just another issue with the system Disney has created.

AVP

Agreed. We had an issue at the last MouseAdventure because our friend was on the monthly payment plan and had a change in expiration date on her credit card. A lot of auto-pays automatically update, so they didn't immediately realize it would be an issue. The first time they were stopped at the gate they were given a courtesy admission and told to get it fixed, which they did. The second time they were stopped at the gate (MouseAdventure) the lead couldn't figure out why it was blocked and overroad it after a (what felt like forever) delay to investigate. The third time they called to make sure that everything would be okay because they had limited time in the park and were still blocked. From what they told me, someone forgot to click a box to release the pass after the payment information was updated. They at least got coupons for a few cheap freebies as compensation from Disney, but it still didn't solve that it was Disney who created the problem.

My son got his first pass on his third birthday (it was the year of getting in free on your birthday, so there was a financial incentive to do it on that day). I love his little picture, but my 7.5 year old son doesn't look quite like my 3 year old son used to. We renew in person and I think one year they did delete his picture and tell us to take a new one. A few times we have been told that we needed to take a new picture for our kids, but we just ignored them and continued on our day and they never took down pass numbers. I can see why Disney cares, but I would never want an employee to be hostile and I'm not sure how I feel about them doing it when there were no parents around.

Janis and Aaron
08-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Our kids' photos got deleted, too, and the CM was rather rude about it. We went to the first photo person we found, got their pics taken, and went on our merry way. Next time we went (weeks later), the pics still weren't showing up in the system, and we had a bit of a hassle getting admitted. Two of our kids are too young to have government-issued ID (and we'd never think to bring their school IDs with us to Disneyland!), so it's not like we could prove their identities with anything but our word. We got pics taken a second time - and THOSE pics never made it into the system for 2 of the 3 kids. Third time was the charm, but sheesh!

candles71
08-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Date and time, they might be able to figure out who it was. They are pretty good about it. Put as much detail in as you can and write that letter. :)

Tinkermommy
08-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Our kids' photos got deleted, too, and the CM was rather rude about it. We went to the first photo person we found, got their pics taken, and went on our merry way. Next time we went (weeks later), the pics still weren't showing up in the system, and we had a bit of a hassle getting admitted. Two of our kids are too young to have government-issued ID (and we'd never think to bring their school IDs with us to Disneyland!), so it's not like we could prove their identities with anything but our word. We got pics taken a second time - and THOSE pics never made it into the system for 2 of the 3 kids. Third time was the charm, but sheesh!

Oh, heaven help them if their new pictures don't make it in! I'll make sure I at least go with them as far as the gate on their next visit. Neither of them drives yet, so their school IDs are all they have!

And not to keep beating this poor dead horse, but it's disturbing to hear that your CM was rude about it too, because this whole "problem" they're having stems from the fact that our kids are longtime customers. Geez...way to appreciate your loyal followers -- by treating them like ticket scammers.

MidwayManiac
08-22-2013, 10:25 PM
On our current AP's my kids had to take pictures four separate visits before they finally worked, and that was only AFTER a photog figured the kids needed new cards. So we visited a ticket booth, got new cards, then pix (again) and it finally worked.

During all the confusion there were a few threats made by gate CM's regarding "get new pictures taken or the kids AP's will be blocked out until you do." At which point it was time to be polite but firm and say, "You know what? We've done everything Disney has asked and taken pictures multiple times for these AP's. If there's a problem it's no fault of ours. I can appreciate you doing your job but blocking the AP's just isn't going to happen. Don't be ridiculous."

Goodnplenty
08-23-2013, 04:57 AM
About the pics for your passes, I purchased my Deluxe pass last year in Nov (I only go to DL once a yr) and I can't really recall if they took my pic. I will be renewing my Deluxe pass online before this Nov trip. How do I update my pic? If I wait to renew my pass at the ticket booths will they take my pic there?

GnP

MidwayManiac
08-23-2013, 05:15 AM
About the pics for your passes, I purchased my Deluxe pass last year in Nov (I only go to DL once a yr) and I can't really recall if they took my pic. I will be renewing my Deluxe pass online before this Nov trip. How do I update my pic? If I wait to renew my pass at the ticket booths will they take my pic there?

GnP

My wife's and my pics were four or five years old and they didn't care whether or not we took pics. So we didn't. Since the kids' appearance changed a lot since their last pictures, DLR insisted they get new ones. So I think you'll only get a new photo taken if you want.

And no photos aren't done at the booths. See any Photo Pass photog in the parks or go to one of the designated photo processing places in the parks. Maybe even the picture takers at the turnstiles can do AP photos but I'm not sure about that.

MammaSilva
08-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Here is our experience. I bought a premium pass online and when I activated it I had to have a new photo taken, I simply walked into DCA and went to the photo counter and had it taken care of. After three days we upgraded my daughters hopper to a pass at the window, because we did it there the CM was able to use her photo on file and it was painless. If you buy your pass ahead of time and activate it at the booth chances are you'll need a new photo, the CM told me the system won't let them use the on file pics but didn't say 'why'.

Goodnplenty
08-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Here is our experience. I bought a premium pass online and when I activated it I had to have a new photo taken, I simply walked into DCA and went to the photo counter and had it taken care of. After three days we upgraded my daughters hopper to a pass at the window, because we did it there the CM was able to use her photo on file and it was painless. If you buy your pass ahead of time and activate it at the booth chances are you'll need a new photo, the CM told me the system won't let them use the on file pics but didn't say 'why'.

That's very good info. I can see where renewing at the window might be the best solution. DH and I will be making our DL Hotel ressies by phone using our Deluxe passholder discounts. But the pass expires 3 days into our visit. I'll just let the phone rep know that we will be renewing at the window so that we can get the discount for our entire stay.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their experiences so that others can be more informed!
GnP :) :) :)

chancencinny
08-28-2013, 04:17 PM
I had a similar situation with my little one when I went. I was told a little more politely by the person on the gate that her picture was a little old. I know to me it didn't seem like my daughter was that much different but I also have watched her grow up. When we went more recently with a friend of hers I saw her friends old picture and it was about the same age as my daughters had been, for someone who I didn't watch grow up a few years does make a difference. If you looked for a little and compared it was her but it wasn't an instant recognition and looked more like her little sister than her. I did ask why they hadn't said something before and apparently they just recently were told how to remove the old pictures. They now forward the information to a supervisor who sends it off to get deleted. I am sorry too that your daughter had a negative experience but it seems it is a new thing to be able to take off old pictures. As to the new pictures, the next time we went in my daughter got a new picture no problem and it uploaded this last time we went. I know I have heard people have had problems but our biggest problem seemed to be finding someone to take her picture.

currence
08-28-2013, 04:24 PM
I was in the DCA Photo store on my last trip to look at some photos and there were a number of people who came in there to have their AP picture taken. When we needed AP pictures we just went to a roaming photopass person but it does seem that the photo stores have cameras on hand to take those photos if needed.

adriennek
09-04-2013, 06:16 AM
I'm just seeing this post for the first time and now I'm worried.

My youngest son's picture is about 6 years old and they told us last weekend we need to take a new picture. No one mentioned going into the store at DCA, just "find a photo pass person." By the time they said anything, we couldn't find a PP person to take a picture. I kept saying "The next time we see one, we'll stop." But we didn't see any. No one mentioned the DCA store. If they give me hassle about it, I'm not going to be happy. I did what I could with the information I was given.

AnotherJenny
09-04-2013, 11:53 AM
I saw them taking photos at the Main St. Photo Supply as well, they have a camera behind the counter.

currence
09-04-2013, 02:52 PM
I imagine later in the day when there are more people wanting to look at and purchase photos, it will be faster to "find a photopass person" but when I was there in the middle of the day, the wait was minimal.

I'm guessing they would prefer you find a roaming photographer with the hopes that you will buy whatever other photos they make take and so that people who do wait until the end of the day don't get upset with the delay.

AnotherJenny
09-04-2013, 07:51 PM
I imagine later in the day when there are more people wanting to look at and purchase photos, it will be faster to "find a photopass person" but when I was there in the middle of the day, the wait was minimal.

I'm guessing they would prefer you find a roaming photographer with the hopes that you will buy whatever other photos they make take and so that people who do wait until the end of the day don't get upset with the delay.

I haven't actually seen the PP photographer do AP photos and regular PP photos. They just do the AP photos and the guests continue on to use their APs elsewhere. Maybe that's because the guests don't ask, but could also be because they have to get real close for the AP photo, and by the time they give the spiel a line tends to form.

The Photo Supply is kind of a trade-off. Later in the day there are more people viewing their photos, but there are also less PP photographers out and about to be found.

Nikara
09-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Just got my AP photo from a normal PP photographer. He was taking pictures by the Monster University set, and had to change which lens he was using for the AP photo (I was his last picture before he was done for his shift, so he didn't mind). Got it done quickly, but he suggested going to one of the counters if I needed to get another one at any point. He didn't take any themed pictures or try to sell me any.

currence
09-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Interesting. We took the standard group shots and then asked for the AP photos. I agree that they do the super close-ups for the AP pictures, never thought about them needing to change lenses. I do like the 'find a photographer' as it feels more convenient than having to stand in line at the AP processing center (though concededly those who have to hunt down a photographer may spend more time than hitting the processing center at its least crowded).