PDA

View Full Version : Kitty houses in Critter Country

cstephens
09-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Some people may know that a lot of the feral cats at Disneyland hang out on the bottom level of the Hungry Bear restaurant. We were in that area on Sunday so went to see if we could see any of the kitties that we'd seen there before. We noticed that housing has actually been set up for the kitties. There are two wooden structures, kinda like doghouses, under there for the kitties to go into. During our visit there, we only saw one kitty this time, a gray and white tabby, very pretty.

Not Afraid
09-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Awwwww! That is soooo cool! I, too, love visiting the fluffys whenever I can. I hadn't seen the little houses. Nice idea, whoever did it (and I would be surprised IF if was Disney). Maybe I should have more faith.

Sheila
09-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Cat houses in Critter Country? And here I thought the Disney company was into family values. ;) :D

It's the decline of Western civilization, I tells ya.

Sheila

mikemgmve
09-12-2005, 03:53 PM
I saw 3 of the cats on the top of the 2nd floor at the hungry bear, towards the back where we ate, it was practically empty there. One of them was quite friendly, and i spent quite some time petting it. It didn't like my french fries tho (I used to have a cat that loved french fries..) so I ended up feeding those to the ducks a bit and falling in love with them instead.

matt5172
09-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I saw one on the top floor too sitting next to someone's table. I've also seen one on the other side of the ROA sleeping in the shade under the track of the old mine train.

SassyNYLady
09-12-2005, 04:14 PM
That's really cool that Disney thinks of their little feline friends...

I have only seen the critters in DCA...but,I know they're at the other side of the esplanade as well. I just hope thay they take the initiative to capture the critters and get them fixed...

Does anyone know about that? :confused:

Susan L
09-12-2005, 04:40 PM
I am so happy to hear that the kitty's have some shelter of their own. Good job Disneyland.

ToursbabeC3po
09-12-2005, 04:54 PM
I just wanted to say it took ALOT of fighting and pulling teeth to get food and shelter for these cats. There were some very determined cast members who pushed for disneyland to Provide for the basic needs for these Cats. I also want to thank all of you that posted your concerns for these cats a few months back when i started a Thread about them. Also thankyou to the AP's that wrote letters and made phone calls. Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou!!!!!
There is one cast member that has been feeding these cats everyday for the last 20 years and even giving them basic medical care out of his own pocket. He spends over 300.00 in cat food for these animals every month. Now disney is doing it because of all the cast members and all of you speaking up. Thankyou again!!!! And thankyou to cast member X who feed those cats for som many years!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))
Toursbabe

The Mouse Is Back
09-12-2005, 05:01 PM
There have been cat shelters in place for at least five years. If they've built some additional ones since then, good for them.

-Allegra-

ToursbabeC3po
09-12-2005, 05:03 PM
They are feeding them now too with automatic feeders and fresh water.

The Mouse Is Back
09-12-2005, 05:06 PM
That's great news. :)

-Allegra-

MrsG
09-12-2005, 06:40 PM
We always sneak in a couple of cans of cat food for the DL kitties. We go to the far back of Hungry Bear and see if anyone is around. If not, we just leave it for them.

richas
09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
We always have lunch at least once during our Disney trips at Hungry Bear and we always enjoy seeing the kitties downstairs. I didn't see any, though, while I was there last Wednesday. I did see a couple of kitties at GCH on the grounds near where the Monorail goes thru the hotel building.

cstephens
09-12-2005, 07:44 PM
They are feeding them now too with automatic feeders and fresh water.

The wet cat food in DL paper trays that we saw there on Sunday didn't look like they came from automatic feeders.

coronado_g
09-12-2005, 08:48 PM
I just hope thay they take the initiative to capture the critters and get them fixed...
I agree. It's nice that the cats are being fed and housed - hopefully the care extends to spaying & neutering.

olddumbguy
09-13-2005, 10:29 AM
These have got to be the luckiest animals in the world. They get to LIVE in Disneyland.

I remember a few years ago, we ate at Cafe Orleans and there was a cat wandering around the patio area. We fed it some table scraps.

ToursbabeC3po
09-14-2005, 01:06 PM
The wet cat food in DL paper trays that we saw there on Sunday didn't look like they came from automatic feeders.

That is my friend that feeds them he gives them the wet food. He spoils those cats!

pretty Omi
09-14-2005, 11:19 PM
i was talking to a CM girl a few months ago who told me about the cats, she told me about the feeding stations and places to find them, she also said every kitten season they catch as many as they can and give them shots, and if the kittens are young and sociable enough they adopt them out, but she said they typically don't fix them because they want them to reproduce really, to make more cats, Walt originally introduced wild cats into the park because it was the easy/naturalist way to capture the rats and mice and so they didn't have to put out traps which aren't nice to look at and aren't nearly as successfull

i see them at Indy, back walkway of Frontierland, and in the tall grass by Grand Californian

newportbeachbumz
09-15-2005, 08:23 AM
i was talking to a CM girl a few months ago who told me about the cats, she told me about the feeding stations and places to find them, she also said every kitten season they catch as many as they can and give them shots, and if the kittens are young and sociable enough they adopt them out, but she said they typically don't fix them because they want them to reproduce really, to make more cats, Walt originally introduced wild cats into the park because it was the easy/naturalist way to capture the rats and mice and so they didn't have to put out traps which aren't nice to look at and aren't nearly as successfull

i see them at Indy, back walkway of Frontierland, and in the tall grass by Grand Californian

I have seen the cats in Hungry Bear area ... I have always thought they were there to capture the mice (not mickey and minnie) that I have seen as well. The other day we were in DCA facing the Wine area and spotted a very big cat. It was kind of orange in color. It's nice that people care for the kitties :-)

Whittibo
09-15-2005, 08:43 AM
WHAT?? Walt introduced the cats and WANTS them to reproduce? I say, fix them so there isn't an epidemic of cats, and if there's ever a shortage of them, then ADOPT some! :s

I saw some cats over in DCA last year, over where you enter to go to soarin'. We love cats, and of course they captured our attention. I thought it was GREAT having them there, but I didn't know that they were supposed to be there. I thought they just showed up there, and someone was taking care of them. I can't wait to visit the ones in DL this year. My family and I will spend some time there no doubt.

I also thought it would be nice to have "friendly" cats. BUT that might cause other problems, with them trying to get attention. I know my cats walk at my feet trying to get petted. That might cause a huge problem for people walking through DL and DCA. :s

eryn
09-15-2005, 09:46 AM
I do agree with the fact that they are left alone to keep the rodent population down. I would wonder about the males spraying in areas. I personally have never smelled it anywhere at DL or DCA but I would think that might be a hard thing to control, especially if the got into a building. But im sure they know what they're doing, and its always nice to watch some kitties while eating lunch!

olddumbguy
09-15-2005, 12:32 PM
How do they keep the cats off the dark rides? I know I have never seen it, but it would be funny to see kittens chasing each other around inside the Poo ride or running around inside Splash Mountain.

animagusurreal
09-15-2005, 05:18 PM
How do they keep the cats off the dark rides? I know I have never seen it, but it would be funny to see kittens chasing each other around inside the Poo ride

They'd be the most animated figures in that ride! :p
Maybe if there's a ginger cat they could train him/her to bounce through the Tigger sequence :D .

olddumbguy
09-16-2005, 08:00 AM
Or a real cat sitting on the Cheshire cat in Alice?