PDA

View Full Version : Is Fantasmic! balcony seating worth it during the off-season?

edtsch
09-08-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm headed to Disneyland in mid-October with some friends and was curious: will it be worth the $40/person (or whatever it is) to reserve balcony seating for Fantasmic!, or are the crowds sparce enough by that time of year to where we could see the show just fine from below without having to stake out our positions an hour or more in advance?

Thanks!

:geek:

efoxx
09-08-2003, 12:42 PM
the question is really "is the fantasmic dessert balcony worth it for you?"

it is not just about the seating, but about having the nices view of fantasmic available to the general paying, and I do mean paying, guest. but it is also a great all you can eat dessert. with a wide variety of pastries and cakes. plus all the usual assortment of Disney non alcholic drinks. and a really great Ice tea.
and it is a feeling of being a little bit of a star, being led up to a place they tell everybody else is closed for the evening "for a private party".

but ultimatly it is up to you. we loved our time up their, and the view was nice.

the crowd question only comes into play a bit though, from what I know fantasmic is still pretty close to capacity at every show.

mrscoach
09-08-2003, 01:34 PM
My son and I did the reserved seating for Fantasmic when they had the roped off reserved section on the walkway right in front, and it was SO worth it to me. We just walked right up right before the show, gave the attendant our tickets, and sat down with a great box of treats and drinks. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

edtsch
09-08-2003, 01:37 PM
Cool! thanks for the feedback, y'all!

:)

kijay
09-08-2003, 11:45 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It is a truly wonderful experience that you will never forget. When we go back, we will definitely do it again. The cheesecake is awesome. It is so much better than sitting on the hard concrete. Treat yourself and your family to some comfort. After all, it is vacation isn't it.

UncleGDogWord
09-09-2003, 09:46 AM
It is a special thing to do as a first time thing, but it is a little pricey for desert, but to see the show in a comfortable chair and not pressed against the rest of humanity on the ground is wonderful. They also are equipped with their own sound system, so you can hear the full score. Also, eat as much as you can. I recommend the petifores.

mg194
09-09-2003, 02:50 PM
We have never seen the show and they quoted a price for Riverfront or Balcony. Can someone tell me the difference? Which do you suggest?

Thanks

mrscoach
09-09-2003, 05:49 PM
What are the two different prices, just out of curiosity?
We sat in the riverfront seating - got there about 20 minutes before the show started, and it was perfect. I remember thinking I'd never sat that close before, and you could feel the heat from the fire on the water. But the view was great. I'm sure the view from the balcony is a little more well-rounded for the "range" of the show, but I'd sit in the riverfront section again for sure. We sat right in the front row of chairs (I think there were like, 4 rows, but I may be mistaken), with an unobstructed view. They have waiters to give you a great box of a bunch of dessert goodies, like chocolate dipped strawberries, cookies, truffles, etc. And you can get soda, coffee, etc. To me, it was SO worth it. It was just my 3 year old son and I, and I won't mind paying the extra money again when we go next time.
It's one of the few "Disney luxuries" I can afford to give my kids.

Elly
09-09-2003, 06:17 PM
The "riverfront" seating is located in an area just to the left of the center of the show toward the rear of the viewing area. It is surrounded by a wrought iron fence. Rows of chairs extend through the area with some being more toward the center of the show and some being quite a ways down toward the Haunted Mansion. A boxed dessert and beverages are provided.

The "balcony" seating is located in the Disney Gallery above the Pirates of the Carribbean ride. There are two small rows of iron type chairs (no tables) on a small balcony which overlooks the show area. It is well centered but far back. Your reservation order determines who sits in the front row and who sits in the rear. A selection of desserts is provided.

On nights when two showings of Fantasmic are scheduled it is fairly simple to wait by Haunted Mansion as the first show exits and just walk down and get a spot for the second show. You don't wait very long this way, about 45 minutes. Last time we did this we sat directly in front of the folks in the "riverfront" seating. We didn't have a dessert, but we didn't pay either! You can always bring a dessert along with you to eat while you wait! On nights when there is only one showing, however, this is not an option. During these times you need to decide if the time spent sitting and waiting is worth the cost of the reserved seating. Personally, I would go for the balcony since the cost is the same.

cstephens
09-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Here is an article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/ky010510.htm) from 2001 that describes the balcony experience. And here's an article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm010710.htm) from 2001, I think, though the article isn't dated, that describes the waterfront experience.

I've done the balcony thing once and not ever done the riverfront thing, but imo, the riverfront thing doesn't seem worth it. If I were to do it again, I'd go for balcony.

mg194
09-09-2003, 08:19 PM
When I called today the pricing was as follows.

Balcony $47 all ages

Riverfront $47 10 and up
$37 3-9

prudence
09-10-2003, 11:54 AM
I've done the balcony seating twice. It was very enjoyable the first time. It was our first time seeing Fantasmic! and my husband's first trip to Disneyland and it was so much fun to see his face transform into that of an excited child. The second time wasn't as much fun. The price went up, the number of seats on the balcony went up, and it just wasn't as exciting. Also, this is one spot where unattended children WILL impact your experience. I can't imagine why someone would bring a flock of kids so obviously uninterested and then shell out so much per hellion. But I digress.

Anyhow, I would say do it once for the wonderful experience. You'll have a great view of the whole show and some tasty treats, to boot.