PDA

View Full Version : The hits just keep on coming: added Space Mountain closure 11/4 - 1/17

Pages : [1] 2

corona
08-15-2013, 06:57 AM
from the Disneyland automated phone refurb announcement

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Disappointed and a little surprised it'll be closed over the holidays. But we and all the other guests there during that time will survive believe it or not.

You can this "yet another hit"....do you feel disney shouldn't close rides for refurbs or announce them a year in advance or what? You were first upset about the sudden (aka announced a month plus in advance) closure of Eo and now the 2+ month in advance notice of space being closed.

corona
08-15-2013, 07:36 AM
You need to stick to what's written and save your amateur psychology for some other board.

HeavenOnEarth
08-15-2013, 07:42 AM
This is crap!!! Great timing Disney...yea right at the peek of the Fall/Winter season. Whats wrong with doing this during off-peak times...or is it because there removing the Ghost Galaxy overlay?

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2013, 07:50 AM
You need to stick to what's written and save your amateur psychology for some other board.

I was honestly asking. I know one complaint about DL over WDW is the lack of advanced notice. But there will always be something down. Someone will always miss a ride on a "once in a lifetime trip". We haven't taken the kids in over 3 years and we have 2 kids that will finally be tall enough to ride the mountains. As I said I'm disappointed and surprised that they'd close it over a peak season, but they obviously have a reason for it and there's nothing I can do about it.

Susie63
08-15-2013, 08:17 AM
I just don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over refurbs. People who travel during peak times do not pay any more for park tickets than those who travel in the off season. You are not guaranteed to have every attraction open at peak times....just because it it peak time.

houseofmouse
08-15-2013, 09:22 AM
That is a bummer but I am betting it has to do with the whole Cal OSHA thing that has been going on with Space. At least if we get there in Oct, it will be open. :)

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2013, 09:47 AM
That is a bummer but I am betting it has to do with the whole Cal OSHA thing that has been going on with Space. At least if we get there in Oct, it will be open. :)

I forgot about that. You could be right.

olegc
08-15-2013, 10:33 AM
I know - lets close the whole park for a period of time so that ALL refurbs can be done at once. Then everyone can be bummed together but all the rides will be open together later. YIPPEE!!
[tongue FIRMLY held in cheek]

Malcon10t
08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
If it was a DOSH issue, I doubt they would wait 2.5 more months to fix.

leota's necklace
08-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Wouldn't this be the correct timing to remove the Ghost Galaxy overlay, anyway?

Never mind. I didn't see the end date was Jan, not Nov.

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Temporary fix first? I think it was a quick closure last time. They may be on a deadline for a permanent fix. Of course this us just speculation.

familymemories
08-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Oh bummer, it will be closed when we will be there too. Oh well.

ManaByte
08-15-2013, 12:03 PM
I know - lets close the whole park for a period of time so that ALL refurbs can be done at once. Then everyone can be bummed together but all the rides will be open together later. YIPPEE!!
[tongue FIRMLY held in cheek]

They tried that in the 80s when they'd close the park on Tuesdays.

That didn't work.

Then in the Pressler era they tried not doing any maintenance at all.

That REALLY didn't work.

olegc
08-15-2013, 12:23 PM

of course my thought is purely speculation - but I wonder if the first "round" of corrections from the DOSH report was the railings outside the buildings. The 2nd round called for investigation into certain attractions and their safety for employees - and for SM they discovered something more than they thought. I seem to recall this is exactly how the track replacement went as well - they originally brought it down for a simple refurb - but discovered the problems in the track integrity and shut it all down.

As I said - I have no data - but since they are closed during one of the most peak times of the year for the parks it could be something serious - or a major change.

kagee
08-15-2013, 02:22 PM
If you consider the Fall/Winter season a peek time and most tourists consider Summer peek time, when would you consider off-peak times. I am old enough to remember that Sept to May was considered off-peak time and the park was closed one day a week during that time and the other days were only open during the day.

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2013, 03:02 PM
If you consider the Fall/Winter season a peek time and most tourists consider Summer peek time, when would you consider off-peak times. I am old enough to remember that Sept to May was considered off-peak time and the park was closed one day a week during that time and the other days were only open during the day.

The holiday season is definitely peak time. The week of Christmas-new years is the busiest week of the year. As far as when "off peak" is? Mid Janyary to before spring break, mid week and not near mlk or Presidents' Day weekend.

olegc
08-15-2013, 03:38 PM
The holiday season is definitely peak time. The week of Christmas-new years is the busiest week of the year. As far as when "off peak" is? Mid Janyary to before spring break, mid week and not near mlk or Presidents' Day weekend.

and there is not much off-peak anymore with the number of passholders. However, if you are using operating hours as a guage then 3P1P has it about right. Also I would say early may right after the spring break 8 week window up to memorial day is a little lighter.

and of course summer now seems less busy than other times of the year because many of the passholder types can't get in.

ogold72
08-15-2013, 05:23 PM
and there is not much off-peak anymore with the number of passholders. However, if you are using operating hours as a guage then 3P1P has it about right. Also I would say early may right after the spring break 8 week window up to memorial day is a little lighter.

and of course summer now seems less busy than other times of the year because many of the passholder types can't get in.

Well I guess I hit the only off-peak week in the fall because the week I am there, 23-29 Sept, the parks are only open 10-8 during the normal week. We are going for the Halloween Party so I guess we can shut the parks down at midnight on Friday.

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Well I guess I hit the only off-peak week in the fall because the week I am there, 23-29 Sept, the parks are only open 10-8 during the normal week. We are going for the Halloween Party so I guess we can shut the parks down at midnight on Friday.

There's off peak hours in the fall but the popularity of the Halloween season and parties makes the crowds more "peak-like". You can't just take hours into consideration for peak vs. off peak. Remember DL is in the middle of a city and hours of operation has to take into account the people that live in Anaheim not just the guests and crowds.

ogold72
08-15-2013, 05:42 PM
There's off peak hours in the fall but the popularity of the Halloween season and parties makes the crowds more "peak-like". You can't just take hours into consideration for peak vs. off peak. Remember DL is in the middle of a city and hours of operation has to take into account the people that live in Anaheim not just the guests and crowds.

Actually that's a pretty good indicator that its off peak. No Fireworks, no Fantasmic. One parade per park. If the parks were swelled they would keep the parks open. Also please tell me what is going on in Anaheim that would necessitate DLR to close earlier on that particular week.

Carabear930
08-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Actually that's a pretty good indicator that its off peak. No Fireworks, no Fantasmic. One parade per park. If the parks were swelled they would keep the parks open. Also please tell me what is going on in Anaheim that would necessitate DLR to close earlier on that particular week.

I think Disney considers it off peak, hence the hours as you said. However, like 3P1P said the popularity of the Halloween season makes it seem fairly crowded. I'm going the week before you and was a little disappointed with the hours too. At least there should be Fantasmic and Fireworks on the weekends. I'm just glad I talked my husband into staying a week this time, if we were going our normal 3-4 days with those shortened hours I would be a lot more upset.

ogold72
08-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I think Disney considers it off peak, hence the hours as you said. However, like 3P1P said the popularity of the Halloween season makes it seem fairly crowded. I'm going the week before you and was a little disappointed with the hours too. At least there should be Fantasmic and Fireworks on the weekends. I'm just glad I talked my husband into staying a week this time, if we were going our normal 3-4 days with those shortened hours I would be a lot more upset.

There may be some validity to that line of reasoning if there is indeed a higher crowd volume to other "off peak" periods. I guess I will have to just wait and see. I always go in thinking its going to be crowded as in a peak time so I don't get my hopes up. What Im going to really have to deal with are the shorter hours. I don't mind the shorter hours per se, we have a 6 yr old and an 8 month old, so 5 straight days of pressing it up until midnight wouldn't be in the cards anyhow, but not having multiple days of fireworks/Fantasmic to choose from just makes for some deliberate planning. Closing the park down at 8 is really early though. I would want to stay until 930 or so. But hey, we are going to enjoy 5 1/2 great days at DLR, so Im going to spend my time enjoying the time we'll have and not fret about what Im not getting.

3Princesses1Prince
08-15-2013, 08:05 PM
There may be some validity to that line of reasoning if there is indeed a higher crowd volume to other "off peak" periods. I guess I will have to just wait and see. I always go in thinking its going to be crowded as in a peak time so I don't get my hopes up. What Im going to really have to deal with are the shorter hours. I don't mind the shorter hours per se, we have a 6 yr old and an 8 month old, so 5 straight days of pressing it up until midnight wouldn't be in the cards anyhow, but not having multiple days of fireworks/Fantasmic to choose from just makes for some deliberate planning. Closing the park down at 8 is really early though. I would want to stay until 930 or so. But hey, we are going to enjoy 5 1/2 great days at DLR, so Im going to spend my time enjoying the time we'll have and not fret about what Im not getting.

That's the best attitude to go with. We do the same.

Goodnplenty
08-16-2013, 05:16 AM
Hmmm, it looks like DH and I will just be able to ride SM for a couple of days before they close it down. I'll be sure to focus my time there since it will close after the 3rd day of our trip.