PDA

View Full Version : SnoBalls in DTD

Drince88
08-07-2013, 06:38 AM
A friend from here (New Orleans) was recently in Disneyland and posted a picture of her daughter next to a sign in DTD saying that Ralph Brennan's had "Original New Orleans Sno Balls" - and I was wondering if anyone who knows what a NOLA Sno Ball is like had tried them, and ARE they authentic?

And then part B of my question -- if you've had Shave Ice in Hawaii --- how does a New Orleans (or the DTD version of it) Sno Ball compare.

(And I was dissapointed in the flavors Ralph Brennan's had on them -- no sweetened condensed milk option, which is VERY popular here with the 'purists'!)

Tan Da Man
08-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Im a big fan of sno-balls - NO and shaved ice style. That being said...

You get these sno balls from the quick service side of the restaurant, and theyre reasonably priced (forget the exact price). However, theyre just meh. Its not awful like something from the fair or ice cream truck in your neighborhood. But theres not much flavor choice and like you mentioned, no cream option. Id get one again if was walking by and had a craving, but I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way.

Hope that helps!

Drince88
08-07-2013, 02:09 PM
But are they New Orleans style, or are they snow-cone style ice?

DisneyFunFamily4
08-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Question. What is a New Orleans style snowball?

Pammer
08-07-2013, 02:21 PM
But are they New Orleans style, or are they snow-cone style ice?Does that mean that the ice is more finely shaved as opposed to snow cones which is coarser (and less apt to retain the syrup)?

We have a shave ice food truck here in Sacramento that has authentic Hawaiian shave ice - OMG, they are the BEST!

Drince88
08-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Question. What is a New Orleans style snowball?

It's kind of hard to describe - and I'm kind of irritated that my friends didn't even go look!
I'd describe a NO Style Sno Ball as 'soft' ice, vs snow cones I'd get growing up in Oregon is more 'hard' and very very small ice cubes. And they're served in cups not 'cones' (and usually much bigger) (Though some serve in containers that look like Chinese takeout containers - but never in cones)

ETA: And I THINK they're kind of like Hawaiian Shave Ice - but I don't know (hence my second question!)

ETA2: I'm just going to HAVE to take one for the team and get one after I work out, to take pictures for you! (though not sure how well it will come across in a picture!)

DisneyFunFamily4
08-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Cathy, you are such a giver! Thank you.

Pammer
08-07-2013, 08:03 PM
I just checked allears for the description, and it DOES say freshly shaved ice plus condensed milk is available for a 'topping', so maybe it is authentic? http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/men_rbcafe.htm

I usually get the ice cream plus the condensed milk ("snow cap") on my Hawaiian shave ice here in Sacramento (YUM) too, so I think I might have to try one of these on my next trip!

Goodnplenty
08-08-2013, 04:53 AM
ETA2: I'm just going to HAVE to take one for the team and get one after I work out,

Wow, how brave of you to fall on a sword like that for the rest of us. Your sacrifice will not be in vain!! I shall avenge you by eating TWO snoballs this weekend! ;)

GnP

Tan Da Man
08-08-2013, 08:15 AM
It's kind of hard to describe - and I'm kind of irritated that my friends didn't even go look!
I'd describe a NO Style Sno Ball as 'soft' ice, vs snow cones I'd get growing up in Oregon is more 'hard' and very very small ice cubes. And they're served in cups not 'cones' (and usually much bigger) (Though some serve in containers that look like Chinese takeout containers - but never in cones)

ETA: And I THINK they're kind of like Hawaiian Shave Ice - but I don't know (hence my second question!)

ETA2: I'm just going to HAVE to take one for the team and get one after I work out, to take pictures for you! (though not sure how well it will come across in a picture!)

Its shaven ice like the NO style. It is not grinded up little pieces of ice. Its also been a few years since I got one from there so hopefully nothing has changed.

Tan Da Man
08-08-2013, 08:16 AM
btw.. the Hawaii Shaved ice is essentially the same thing as the NO style.

Drince88
08-08-2013, 08:23 AM
btw.. the Hawaii Shaved ice is essentially the same thing as the NO style.

Thanks!!!
I'll post the pictures I took of my yummy 16oz medium sugar free pink lemonade later. It sure hit the spot after an hour long exercise class!

Drince88
08-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Not sure how well the fineness of the ice comes through - but this is a medium.

Pammer
08-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Oohhh..that looks yummy!

MickeyDogMom
08-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Not sure how well the fineness of the ice comes through - but this is a medium.

Thanks for sacrificing for us. ;)

I'll have to try those next time I'm in DTD.