PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Speeder Bikes Coming to People Mover Tracks?

Pages : [1] 2

BlkPearlCptn
08-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Right now some people have been posting that they"just got out if a meeting" and Disney has announce that a speeder bike ride has been greenlit to go on the People Mover tracks in 2016. They also said that Captain EO will close this winter, the theater refurbished and a Star Wars 3D will go in there. Star Tours is supposed to have some new destinations in 2015 from the new movie. These people say that concept art will be released to the public soon (D23?). It's all over the Star Wars community. Anybody heard anything here?

Rufus T Firefly
08-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I wonder if the People Mover track could be enclosed and the speeder bike attraction could be a 3D experience similar to Universal's King Kong 360? Just a thought.

cstephens
08-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Right now some people have been posting that they"just got out if a meeting"

Where is the meeting and with whom?

If the People Mover track couldn't handle the Rocket Rods, I don't see how they could handle speeder bikes. I also think speeder bikes would look awful with the current look of Tomorrowland.

ImDMous
08-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Ok, a speeder bike ride on those tracks would be pretty cool. I'm guessing something similar to Knott's Pony Express but longer obviously. I'm not really too fond of having Tomorrow Land turn into Star Wars land though. I guess I agree that Captain Eo (as much as I love it's cheesy goodness) is probably ready to go, but Star Tours is already a 3D Star Wars movie, why another one? We really don't ride Star Tours anymore since the redo, hate the new(ish) movies.

Rufus T Firefly
08-07-2013, 10:09 AM
An enclosed track would eliminate the eyesore that the abandoned track has become. And the utilization of cutting edge effects inside the enclosed track could make the bikes appear to be moving faster than they really are

Rufus T Firefly
08-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Long time fans may not like the idea of a Star Wars land, but DL needs something big to combat Universal once Harry Potter moves in. Is it just a coincidence that Disney is about to revive the Star Wars film franchise?

familymemories
08-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Only time will tell if the information is true. Disney doing something with the old people mover tracks would be very good. I used to love the people mover when I was a kid:)

bumblebeeonarose
08-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Right now some people have been posting that they"just got out if a meeting" and Disney has announce that a speeder bike ride has been greenlit to go on the People Mover tracks in 2016. They also said that Captain EO will close this winter, the theater refurbished and a Star Wars 3D will go in there. Star Tours is supposed to have some new destinations in 2015 from the new movie. These people say that concept art will be released to the public soon (D23?). It's all over the Star Wars community. Anybody heard anything here?

Interesting that people claimed they "got out of a meeting" announcing this information on the same day that MiceChat posted about it on their page. Here's the article http://micechat.com/37890-miceage-tomorrowland-starwars/ Remember that it is all here-say and rumors until Disney announces it. I hope they DO do something to enhance Tomorrowland, but we'll have to wait and see what it is.

cstephens
08-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Interesting that people claimed they "got out of a meeting"

I would find it hard to believe that Disney would be holding a meeting to announce it to people who would then immediately run to post it on random sites. It's funny to hear the pie-in-the-sky rumours that people like to make up.

bennette
08-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Praying for a loop addition!

cstephens
08-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Speeder bikes don't do loops. Unless it's around a giant tree right before they smash into it. ;)

bennette
08-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Speeder bikes don't do loops. Unless it's around a giant tree right before they smash into it. ;)

Clearly that's the only kind of loop worth having.

Rufus T Firefly
08-07-2013, 07:06 PM

That would be so cool.

BlkPearlCptn
08-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Interesting about the postings coming the same day as the Micechat announcement. I'm taking it with a grain of salt until Disney announces something but the SWcommunity is still abuzz about it today

Rufus T Firefly
08-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Interesting about the postings coming the same day as the Micechat announcement. I'm taking it with a grain of salt until Disney announces something but the SWcommunity is still abuzz about it today

Micechat is where I first heard the rumor, along with the Monstropolis rumor.

bennette
08-07-2013, 08:03 PM
That's weird that similar rumors would be found in two communities. Sounds like something viral, almost.

Guess we'll know soon enough.

cstephens
08-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Guess we'll know soon enough.

Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.

bumblebeeonarose
08-07-2013, 09:27 PM
I would find it hard to believe that Disney would be holding a meeting to announce it to people who would then immediately run to post it on random sites. It's funny to hear the pie-in-the-sky rumours that people like to make up.

I was trying to say it is fishy that they claim to have gone to a meeting. They probably read about it on Mouseplanet too and then claimed there was a meeting so that people would take them seriously.

Tan Da Man
08-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Havent we been saying they were going to theme the People Mover after the Incredible's for the past few years? Ill believe it when I see it.

JLM
08-08-2013, 10:08 AM
The trouble with Tomorrowland is that the moment you actually build anything that is based on a predicted future, it's outdated. Star Wars Land solves that problem and really is just a continuation of the gradual Fantasylandification of the rest of the park over the past few decades.

That being said, I think there are a number of pretty cool things that could be done with a Star Wars theme, most of which would only require modifications to the existing rides. Here are some of my thoughts.

Star Tours - No need for tinkering here.

Buzz Light Year - Re-theme as a clone wars era shooter. Use the cartoony style of the Clone Wars TV series and replace Emperor Zurg with General Grievous.

Submarines - Meesa gonna ride in a bongo. That's right. Re-theme to an underwater adventure on Naboo. Re-theme the queue and rock structures to look like the Naboo capital and theme the ride as an underwater tour of Naboo to visit the Gungans. Watch out for the huge Otees.

Autopia - Probably the greenest and tree covered area besides the Jungle Cruise and TSI. So turn those noisy gas powered cars into electric powered land speeders and let the kids drive through the forests of Endor. Look out for a few mischievous Ewoks and maybe a few rebels battling stormtroopers.

People Mover - Yes, the Rocket Rods didn't really work very well. Well, we've have 15 years to work out the kinks in the technology. Go with the speeder bike theme, use the projection technology to give a big chase and then move outdoors into the existing Endor themed area, and then wrap it up with a big crash scene at the end. Cool be very cool.

Space Mountain - Three words. Death. Star. Battle. Re-theme the queue as Yavin 4, paint the cars white and go blow up the Death Star. Use the existing infrastructure from Ghost Galaxy to project tie fighters shooting at you. Build a DS trench for the bottom portion of the track and finish with a grand kaboom at the end.

Magic Eye Theater - A 3D movie here seems kind of redundant with Star Tours, but instead of an action themed attraction, make it comedic. Vaudeville Star Wars style. Some wookie themed slap stick could be in the works. I've always wanted to see Chewy actually rip C-3PO's arms off.

Innoventions - Why have a big spinning mural when you could have a big spinning Death Star. Inside are a variety of fun games and playground style activities. Some ideas of the top of my head: a giant garbage chute slide into a foam ball filled trash compactor, a rope swing or zip line, pop gun shooting games, turbo cannon shooting, and of course, the meet and greet with Vader, Luke, Leia, Han, Obi Wan and all the other characters.

So there you go. My vision of Star Wars Land. Disney Imagineering, feel free to contact me for further consulting. :-)

cstephens
08-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Space Mountain

I like Space Mountain just fine the way it is, thank you very much.

candles71
08-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I like Space Mountain just fine the way it is, thank you very much. and Buzz and Nemo... I love Star Wars, stood in line for 3 hours at Toys r Us to meet Leia and Vader in 1977, but I don't want it taking over Tomorrowland.

olegc
08-08-2013, 12:22 PM
after seeing the pictures of some of the supports for the track - unless they plan on replacing all that steel, I probably won't be riding anything there any time soon.

HeavenOnEarth
08-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Bottom line is..."if they build it, they will come"

bumblebeeonarose
08-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I think Space Mountain can easily fit the theme as is. It's a flight through space. No need for a direct tie in. I am not crazy for the Ghost stuff, it bother's my eyes.