PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming to Club 33

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jrsharp21
07-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Anyone see the article about the changes coming to Club 33? It looks like it is going to be closed for renovation sometime near October and when it re-opens the Club 33 we know will be completely different. The entrance is being moved to the Court of Angels. It is expected the french lift will move to this area. The trophy room is being converted into an expanded kitchen area. A jazz themed lounge area is being built to the back closer to the train station above the French Market. Extra level membership is going to be needed to enter this area.

I am sad to see this happen. I have been fortunate enough to eat at Club 33 once and the atmosphere and the feeling you get being in there is indescribable.

bennette
07-30-2013, 04:08 PM
On behalf of someone I know who will ask the question, can you show your source for the benefit of those who haven't seen it. That includes me. I've heard rumbling but no specifics.

Moving on.

I've got my flame retardant suit on so here goes.

Many these changes sound positive to me.

I've been in the kitchen and it is seriously way too small for the kind of of food prep I imagine they want to do.

I've been to the lounge on the DCA Side and it's a totally different kind of experience. They are both WONDERFUL, immersive Disney experiences in their own right, even if Walt wasn't personally involved in the design of the newer area. Now a lounge and a dining area will be available in Disneyland itself for those who have an interest.

The French lift is neat but having helped a person with serious mobility issues through it last year, I'm READY for an alternate option. Things were so bad we were sent back down through the kitchen elevator after dinner, which is how I saw the kitchen. This place is seriously not easy to navigate.

I don't like looking at dead animals and will not particularly miss the Trophy room although I've had some great meals there. I understand it's hypocritical to make a comment like this and then proceed to eat a dead animal at Club 33 but there you go. I do hope the total number of restaurant seats available will remain.

Adding fuel to the fire, I hope they redo the bathrooms so that the ADA area is incorporated. I also hope they add more vegetables to the meals!

IMO, people who have never been before will still have a wonderful, special experience; they won't have anything negative to judge it against. I imagine this change (or any change) will be harder on longtime members and some repeat visitors.

Flame away.

P.S. I hope the REALLY nice people who have previously invited me to the Club or Lounge will not dump me off their lists for my opinions.

Malcon10t
07-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Adding fuel to the fire, I hope they redo the bathrooms so that the ADA area is incorporated. I also hope they add more vegetables to the meals!In many ways, I hope they keep the original bathrooms. There is a companion bathroom that is fully ADA compliant. Since they are moving the entrance, it will be interesting to see what they do with the bathrooms.

And I think the plates are nicely "decorated" now.........

It seems to me they are increasing the seatings so that could be helpful.

I would prefer to wait until official word is out, rather than a few members who post their rumors on MiceChat.

Last weeks rumors by the same people were all members were to get their update packets last week. Any members on here get the upgrade packet can post for us what is in it? Oh, maybe because the rumor was wrong and there were no packets?

LauraTD
07-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Our server yesterday told us they will be closing January for (this part I might be remembering incorrectly) 6 months. She was surprised that the member I was with hadn't received her info packet yet. She didn't tell us about what changes were happening to the building but mentioned that they were planning on getting rid of the buffet. Her attitude is that she has seen a lot of changes since she had been working there and while change is hard for people, it will be fine. Normally I would post something on a cast members say so but she seemed very knowledgable and honest so I trust her as a source.

bennette
07-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Oh. Micechat. I thought it might be a Disney blog or at least direct from a notified Club member.

My bad. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Even the best CM can receive wrong information.

olegc
07-30-2013, 10:26 PM
here is the specific link
http://micechat.com/36536-club-33disneyland-restaurant-club-33/

Sailorjedi
08-05-2013, 10:22 AM
The two members I know through other sources have said they haven't received any information from Club 33 yet.

Interesting that there have been no new posts on micechat since 8/1/13

bbdani83
08-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi All :o)

I am new to this site, and hoping to get some suggestions on Club 33. My girlfriend (who has never been to Disneyland, let alone Club 33) is planning to spend her 30th birthday with her best friends, and will finally get to experience Disneyland in person! I having been trying to locate a generous member that might be able to help me surprise her with an invite to Club 33 for her birthday, which so happens to be Halloween! However, reading these posts now, it sounds like they may be closed in October for renovations.

I am hoping someone can help me, or at least point me in the right direction, that would help me surprise her and her husband for a wonderful birthday dinner at Club 33. I know she would appreciate it more than anyone would ever know! I want to show her how much I appreciate her as a friend, a wife, and a person; she has been a Nurse with NorthBay for the last 5 years and is extremely passionate about her career. She doesn't treat herself to much time off, so I figured how exciting would it be to try and surprise her with a wonderful dinner... How humbling would it be to give back to such a kind and generous person? That is all I'm trying to do.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Have a fabulous week! Thank you so much for your thoughts!

adriennek
08-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I heard they're putting in a loop.

adriennek
08-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Any information would be greatly appreciated! Have a fabulous week! Thank you so much for your thoughts!

I'm not a member but I know a member. Ok, I know more than one. I have some I would ask for myself and I have some I wouldn't feel appropriate asking. I have some friends I would ask ONE of my member-friends to help. I have other people in my life who would like me to get them a reservation, but I won't.

To cut to the chase: I don't know anyone who would share a reservation with a stranger. As lovely a person as the stranger may be, you and anyone connected to you, are strangers to us. (We don't even know your name! I'm not saying you have to tell us your name. I don't post my name everywhere I go on the internet either, but just as an example of how unknown you are to anyone here.)

To share a reservation with someone is a pretty significant commitment of both reputation, resources and finances. Among other things, the member is responsible for their guests' behavior, but also carry the liability if the guest no-shows. They face financial consequences and it can hurt their membership status. And to be blunt - again, you may be a totally terrific person, I have no way of knowing anything about you - this is principles above personalities, I would say this about my own mother and I think she's a saint - you've come here, COMPLETELY unknown to our community and the very first thing you post is "Hey, can you help me with a really huge favor?" - one that many of us would not even do for someone we know well.

To give you another perspective: Recently, someone I know, in real life, through a work situation, came up to me and asked me, randomly if I could get her and members of her family signed into Disneyland for free. Do I know cast members? Yes, I know cast members with free ticket access. Would I ask cast members with free ticket access to sign in my mother? No!! I wouldn't! I would be too embarrassed to ask. That would be a huge imposition on our friendship. I have a friend who heard I wanted to take my mom and OFFERED to get her a free ticket. I tried to be gracious in accepting it, but I was humbled by it. -- So for someone I know to ask me to call in a favor for her family - she didn't realize it but I was really offended by her request. I was actually kind of surprised by it. It was a bit... presumptuous.

I hope you can appreciate that this is not an attack on you. I do know that it's a big dream for many people to visit Club 33, and that many people don't realize what it exactly means for a member's reputation to make a reservation like this. I offer this information to be informative and helpful - really I do - and to help you gauge your expectations.

May I offer a suggestion? Since this is her first time to Disneyland, there are many, many wonderful experiences and opportunities that we CAN offer for your friend. You might read around this forum or start a new thread looking for suggestions for how to make a first time memorable. My personal suggestion is this: If you think that she might enjoy Club 33, consider a reservation at Napa Rose at the Grand Californian Hotel? I've dined at both locations. The Napa Rose may not be as exclusive but the meal will be exquisite and divine!!! Alternatively, I would suggest a meal at the NR's sister restaurant, Carthay Circle inside DCA. Chef Sutton, the executive chef at NR is also EC at Carthay Circle. Their cocktail menu is awesome - (Club 33 has a bar, but no special cocktail menu. And if they like wine, Napa Rose has an extensive wine list!)

houseofmouse
08-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Wow Adrienne, I would say that is the best written answer I have ever read on MP. If I read that as the person above, I would not feel offended in the least and would appreciate your honesty. :)

I have been once. I was in 6th grade and went with my friend and her dad. I hardly remember it but they had caviar and lamb. For a 6th grader that was pretty gross. I don't even remember what I ended up eating. I am not sure I would go if invited now. To spend that much money on one meal is a huge commitment for our family. Even if just hubby and I. I know you can spend upwards of $150.00 on dinner. Although I don't drink, even 75-80 for dinner would just be out of my own personal comfort zone. I do know it is an amazing place!!

MammaSilva
08-05-2013, 02:23 PM
The Club 'standard' costs for a meal will equal or exceed the current cost of a one day park ticket. We've been blessed to be able to eat at the Club and I will say that I never have a single regret paying the bill. The food, the service, most of all the atmosphere and just the fact that it's one of those experiences that someone has to really TRUST you to allow you to enjoy. As Adrienne said there is a huge financial and more important, reputation commitment on the members when they extend their generosity to friends by making a reservation for someone.

AVP
08-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Moderator Note:

I think our new member has been thoroughly educated about the implications of their request, and I would refer them to our MousePad Community Policies for further information about why we don't allow Club 33 solicitation on MousePad:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?139827-May-I-ask-for-help-with-Club-33-meals-or-admission

So, shall we move on?

Adrienne

Disneyphile
08-05-2013, 06:35 PM
I really hope they don't touch the trophy room. I love seeing the microphones in the chandeliers and the animatronic vulture that was to be voiced by Wally Boag. It's such a unique piece of history and I think one of the neatest things about the club.

olegc
08-05-2013, 09:38 PM
yeah - we'll all see I guess. As with anything else at DLR - there's speculation and then there's what really happens. I have been only once (2 years ago) through an acquaintance who is able to go quite a bit. I don't ask how - but to me Club 33 is one of those places in Disneyland where that whole "it aint a museum" complaint doesn't fly with me.
HOWEVER
the closet foodie in me says if they need to expand the kitchen, then so be it. But to lose the nice buffet, darn. We'll have to wait and see.

I wonder if losing the kitchen does anything to Blue Bayou. Didn't the last big refurb on Pirates also include significant changes to the kitchen area (i know it now bows into the first drop hill) and I thought I had read somehwere it was to provide support for food production for Club 33. Now they're changing again...

AJDerrick
08-06-2013, 09:57 AM
We've been able to go a couple of times, but always sat in the main dining room. The trophy room is interesting, but I think the club would really benefit from repurposing some of that space. As many have said, their kitchen is tiny! I'll be curious to see if/how a new entrance is incorporated, that seems like the hardest part to me.

olegc
08-06-2013, 10:49 AM
can you honestly call it Club 33 if the entrance is not on 33 Royal street anymore? Club 40? [edit - its on the odd side of the street - so either 39 or 41 - or nothing since its in court of angels].
i know, its just a name - but *sigh* another disney culture icon not the same.

cstephens
08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
can you honestly call it Club 33 if the entrance is not on 33 Royal street anymore?

Considering the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and that the Dallas Cowboys don't play in Dallas, and the New York Giants don't play in New York and I'm sure a host of other things, I'm not sure it matters what you call something. I don't think it would make a difference in any case.

olegc
08-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Considering the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and that the Dallas Cowboys don't play in Dallas, and the New York Giants don't play in New York and I'm sure a host of other things, I'm not sure it matters what you call something. I don't think it would make a difference in any case.

thus my *sigh* comment... I know, rhetorical, no difference... but...

MammaSilva
08-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Well as of the moment all the changes we're hearing about are just that rumors, but let's go with the big one, they are moving the entrance, could be that they will leave the famous Green door and address plate in place and have some level of ability to enter thru that door but have the secondary entrance in the Court of Angels. I agree with CStephens tho, it really doesn't matter where the entrance is, they can call it whatever they want, it will still be Club 33 for many people.

leota's necklace
08-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Also, it's not like they are beholden to the City of Anaheim to maintain standard numbering conventions. They're *Disney*, for pete's sake, they can put 33 Royal Street wherever they want.

Sailorjedi
08-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Hopefully someone who is a friend of a member will be able to enlighten us!

Malcon10t
08-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Hopefully someone who is a friend of a member will be able to enlighten us!How? Members haven't been told anything either. Micechat keeps publishing "Official" news, but their news keeps turning out to be incorrect.

bumblebeeonarose
08-07-2013, 01:56 PM
How? Members haven't been told anything either. Micechat keeps publishing "Official" news, but their news keeps turning out to be incorrect.

LOL. I love how last month they said that Monster's Laugh Floor was coming to Tomorrowland as a cheap replacement for EO before the 60th. Then yesterday they said that a 3D Star Wars film would be replacing EO instead. They don't have all of the facts. They know some people, they hear rumors, nothing is final until Disney says its happening. That doesn't mean they lie or make things up. But we all know that things can change until they're written in stone, and even then if you have the right kind of eraser. ;)

Escape2Disney
08-10-2013, 03:02 PM
The French lift is neat but having helped a person with serious mobility issues through it last year, I'm READY for an alternate option. Things were so bad we were sent back down through the kitchen elevator after dinner, which is how I saw the kitchen. This place is seriously not easy to navigate.

I went for the first time in December, and ran into a similar issue. They had to send my wheelchair up the French lift first (a very difficult task as with custom legs, it barely fit). My daughter helped me into the lift, and we were greeted upstairs with my chair. On the way out, I really needed the chair more than I needed the experience of riding in the lift again, so we went down the service elevator in the kitchen. I'm amazed they are able to create such a wonderful menu in such a small kitchen! It makes a lot of sense to expand the kitchen.

I heard they're putting in a loop.

:fez: HAHAHA

To cut to the chase: I don't know anyone who would share a reservation with a stranger. As lovely a person as the stranger may be, you and anyone connected to you, are strangers to us. (We don't even know your name! I'm not saying you have to tell us your name. I don't post my name everywhere I go on the internet either, but just as an example of how unknown you are to anyone here.)

Well said!

How? Members haven't been told anything either. Micechat keeps publishing "Official" news, but their news keeps turning out to be incorrect.

In their rush to be the 'first' to report news, they are often off the mark. I don't tend to believe things on Micechat unless it's been confirmed. Even if something has been confirmed by a blog author, Disney's been known to change plans. Who knows what will actually happen in the end?

We have the fantastic luck to be able to go again next month. I'm just happy any proposed changes won't be taking place during our trip! :D