PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn closures

HeavenOnEarth
07-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Hey everyone, just got done reading all the Matterhorn closeure dates and was wondering if anybody knows whats going on with this?
Hopefully getting rid of those god aweful seats they put in :-)

Ohh and also why the HM is going to be down for a couple of weeks?

Thanks

Shortpix77
07-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Not sure about Matterhorn, but Haunted Mansion will be closed for the installation of the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay :-)

HeavenOnEarth
07-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Not sure about Matterhorn, but Haunted Mansion will be closed for the installation of the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay :-)

From Aug 26 - Spet 12th...dont remember this holiday overlay happening this soon?

candles71
07-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Halloween now starts mid September because of it's popularity. I didn't think it went down until after Labor day, but someone showed me where it has gone down before for the last year or two.

bumblebeeonarose
07-29-2013, 12:21 PM
I think they do general maintenance on the ride while it is down for the remodel in the fall and then they do the same with Small World before taking it down in January.

3Princesses1Prince
07-29-2013, 03:20 PM
From Aug 26 - Spet 12th...dont remember this holiday overlay happening this soon?

Yep. First day of Halloween season is sept 13.

LacyBelle
07-31-2013, 10:29 AM
As far as Matterhorn is concerned, I believe this is just regular maintenance. The Matterhorn maintenance was scheduled to be earlier in the year, but was pushed out due to the DOSH-influenced and unanticipated closing of Space Mountain for a short time. While Space was closed, Disney didn't want to proceed with taking Matterhorn out at the same time (with BTMRR also out this year for it's major rehab). When summer started, Matterhorn maintenance was pushed out again.

Sadly, I don't think bobsled padding is in the plan this go around, but there's always hope it will happen one day. That mountain is now off our list, since we don't want to risk the bad backs that may occur and ruin our trip. I would love for them to fix the seating situation so I could ride this classic attraction again.

Carabear930
08-01-2013, 11:51 AM
We haven't been since updated Matterhorn seats. Why did they change them and what is bad about them now?

Shortpix77
08-01-2013, 12:24 PM
They changed the cars themselves to do away with the lap-sitting. Each car now has three individual seats in a row. There's no padding whatsoever, and your feet are on almost the same plain that your backside is... it's quite awkward, and the bumps really hurt without any padding :-/ It's a little better in the back two cars (in my opinion) because there are leg slots on the outer edges, so your legs can be straight. I have a hard time figuring out how to brace myself in the front seat (and I'm sure it's much worse for tall people).

candles71
08-01-2013, 12:46 PM
I was there the day it reopened and rode it once. I was one of the first to complain. I have ridden it since, both in December and in June. The old seat had a good 4 inch rise from the floor, now the "seat" is less than an inch higher than the floor. Getting up and out still is an issue, but knowing the angle rolls you back onto your tailbone, I know to lean slightly foward so I am off my tailbone and hold the bar in front of me to stay off of it. I also know wearing less bulky shoes (I was wearing tennis shoes the first time) helps because I can get my feet into the foot rests around the seat in front of me.

HeavenOnEarth
08-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Yea...I just cant concieve how any upper Disney Manager or official would sign off on this new car/seat design...it is sooooo freakin uncomfortable now :-(

familymemories
08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Yea...I just cant concieve how any upper Disney Manager or official would sign off on this new car/seat design...it is sooooo freakin uncomfortable now :-(

Totally agree with you. We were there the beginning of June. I am to a point, I may not ride it anymore:(