PDA

View Full Version : The bad about Disneyland? No good comments here!

Pages : [1] 2

Ghoulish Delight
09-04-2003, 10:14 PM
1. Too many shops. I was never particularly fond of browsing Main Street, most boring part of the day when I was a kid.

2. The canoes. Who wants to freakin' arobicize during their vacation? And don't forget the "healthy" dousing of green water you're bound to receive.

3. The log jam that are Critter Country and Adventureland. A nightmare of traffic flow.

4. Goes without saying, but Tomorrowghosttown. :crying:

5. Price of food. The food in general. I got to DCA because there are very few really good mid-range options. It's pretty much a minimum of $8 to eat anything satisfying these days.

I love Disneyland, but I'd love to see the above change.

Not Afraid
09-04-2003, 10:30 PM
GD, you are a big poohpooh head. Maybe Disney should give you a discount off our AP because of your pain and perril.

OH, I FORGOT....YOU DON'T HAVE AN AP. LOSER!!!!!

Or, maybe you should just stay the h e double chopsticks away from OUR park!!!!

2 days until moderation, $5

mousey_girl
09-04-2003, 10:32 PM
The stores through out the park used to all be unique. Now the majority are packed to the rafters with items for the "princesses" leaving out the "princes" and the grown ups.

The walkways through Adventureland are impassable after 11am on any given Saturday.

Nothing left in Tomorrowland, other than Autopia and an outdated Star Tours.

The wonderful ques are no longer used to their full potential, making for long waits in the sun.

09-05-2003, 05:27 AM
Okay, GD, I'm feeling crabby enough for this ...

1. As an out-of-towner, it costs me tremendous bucks to take my family to Disneyland and DCA. Way back in the golden age when Tomorrowland was painted white, it was worth it - no question. Now? Not.

2. The Pendleton Shop (or whatever it's really called) in Frontierland. Anyone ever hankered for woolen clothing and blankets at Disneyland?

3. The spaghetti sauce served at Disneyland is icky. It has too much sugar. I hate that. Really.

Ah. I feel so much better now but I'll bet you feel worse if you actually read this.

EandCDad
09-05-2003, 06:08 AM
1. The food is too expensive.

2. I have two kids under 10 and even we skip Toontown most of the time.

3. If they should have 4 Autopia lines open, they have 3, if they should have 3, they have 2, etc.

4. That bathroom near the arcade in Tomorrowland smells like someone is sacrificed there nightly.

merlinjones
09-05-2003, 06:20 AM
I love Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, but here are some things that need improvement in Disneyland:

1) Too many upper and mid-level executives

2) Nasty corporate culture is admired and emulated for upward mobility

3) Lack of creative, experienced Disneylanders and Walt-oriented types in management or empowered positions

4) Executive bonus compensation encourages cannibalization of assets

5) Michael Eisner

6) Tom Staggs

7) Influence of ABC culture on Disney and Disneyland

8) mistreatment of rank and file workers

9) Lack of a living wage for workers

10) Tomorrowland '98 ruins

11) Misplacement of Rocket Jets

12) Observatron

13) Submarine Voyage is not operating

14) Skyway is missing

15) PeopleMover is missing

16) Motor Boat Cruise lies fallow

17) Innoventions

18) Club Buzz - design

19) Club Buzz - new lack of food

20) Club Buzz - show

21) Honey, I Shrunk the Audience

22) Lack of maintenence - ToonTown paint

23) Lack of maintenence - thatched roof/White Rabbit

24) Lack of maintenence - Tiki Room animatronics (particularly flowers and tikis)

25) Lack of maintenence - Tiki Room in general, thatch

26) Sugary food, skimpy portions at Rancho de Zocalo

27) The pizza

28) McDonald's

29) Sleeping Beauty Castle is closed

30) Ugly cash trap and locking bar inside Wishing Well ruins effect

31) Abandoned Chalet

32) Villain shop in Fantasyland is gone

33) Eyvind Earle painting on wall in castle shop is covered

34) Not enough Monorail trains running

35) New Monorail trains needed

36) Boring merchandise, same old characters, dull design work

37) Pooh ride needs an upgrade

38) Country Bears are missing

39) Pontoon bridge broken

40) No Golden Horseshoe Revue or Can-can girls

41) No Polynesian Revue

42) no Big Name entertainers

43) Adventure Thru Inner Space is missing

44) CircleVision lies fallow

45) Swiss Family Robinson are homeless

46) No Nautilus in this park

47) Keel boats not running

48) No new E Ticket in years

49) Pooh queue is a mess

50) Carousel of Progress is missing

51) No weekend fireworks on the off season

52) Need new parade

53) Main Street Electrical Parade not on Main Street

54) Maintenence in general

55) Fastpass

56) Fastpass is ugly design mess

57) Paint/colors in Tomorrowland/Space Mountain

58) Gadget's Go-Coaster

59) Captain Hook's Pirate Ship and Skull Rock missing

60) No seating in Main Street Cinema

61) New Lincoln wardrobe/hair looks too Kevin Costner groovy

62) Closed restaurants

63) No Carnation (or any other snack) at Carnation Plaza Gardens

64) Prices too high for water, soda, other lightweight items

65) Prices too high for food in general

66) Disneyland improvements and restoration disregarded in favor of DCA quick fixes

67) Lack of respect for history of park on part of management

68) Really bad print ads

69) Marketing doesn't get it

70) Cloying, patronizing live shows in general

71) too much icky forced nostalgia, sloganeering, propoganda and jingles

72) too much focus only on spoiled tiny rich children as key demo

73) Insufficient budgets

74) Too many sharp pencil boys

75) too many mall marketing chix

76) Pin trading

innerSpaceman
09-05-2003, 06:30 AM
Oh, and the Castle needs a paint job - stat.

(And I don't mean gold)

merlinjones
09-05-2003, 06:33 AM
77) Castle needs a paint job - STAT!

DBJ
09-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Here's one:

Disney's bizarre pattern of building huge capital investements like DCA & Downtown Disney, but then having attractions in Disneyland itself cut due to budget! Makes little sense to me in how the new park construction budget can be so high for projects outside of DL and yet when it comes to adding or repairing existing attractions in DL, it seems pretty low.

merlinjones
09-05-2003, 06:50 AM
78) Blurring of thematic unity and cohesion

79) Placement of Winnie the Pooh in American frontier

80) Lowered expectations

81) Reduced value

82) Lowered standards

83) New Disney attitude

84) Cheap carnival in old parking lot

85) Walt Disney dead

daannzzz
09-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Forcing Characters into everything, attraction, ride, shop and restaurant, even when the theme is suppose to be "real".

Captain Josh
09-05-2003, 08:04 AM
They took away my "guns".

They took away the skippers' guns.

The Indy queue lies a mere shell of itself. Why did they add a safety spiel, when it was all covered in the movie theatre?

They took away the guns on Tom Sawyer Island.

They took away any prescense of guns, except for a bright orange Han Solo blaster.

oh, and the canoes are what separate the men from theMEN

MammaSilva
09-05-2003, 08:09 AM
It's too far from where I live!

Not enough mid range meal choices...and the prices may be 'in line' with the industry but the whole industry is too freaking money grabbing when it comes to the 'little' things like a bottle of water IMO

Tomorrowland.. nuff said :crying:

Disneyphile
09-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Innoventions

Honey I Shrunk the Audience

Empty Sub Lagoon

Empty People Mover Track

Hotel-Only Monorails

Club Buzz

The lame Dumbo ride with the "Astro Orbiter" overlay

The current state of the Plaza Inn

The disrepair on the Tiki Room

Plastic Princess Crap overflowing every shop

Parade of the Stars

Empty Big Thunder Ranch

The Marketing Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride

and most of all - MICHAEL EISNER!!!!

dshimel
09-05-2003, 08:43 AM
1) Nothing new in far too long. Pooh is poo, not new.

2) GoneMarrowland (yes, they've sucked the life giving elements from the bones of Tomorrowland)

3) Bland, overpriced food. If you're charging me $10-15 for burger, fires and drink, at least spend the extra $.25 it costs to make it a good burger, fries, and drink.

4) Lack of quality daytime shows. Only Billy Hill is worth catching more than once. Okay, the parade was good a couple times.

5) Tiki Room needs some serious work.... I shudder everytime I say that becasue I fear management will just close it instead of spending any money on it. If there is money to fix it, please do. if not, operating with lots of broken stuff is better than not operating at all.

6) Better attractions for Toontown. The boat, bounce house and tree seemed very much like placeholder attractions to later be replaced with real rides. A decade passes and Toontown still only has 2-3 real attractions.

7) Too crowded in Adventureland and Critter Country. Open up a foot path around the north side of the rivers and connect it into the path that goes around BTMRR into Fantasyland. Make another route to ease traffic, especially during Fantasmic! Move the canoes and TSI raft landings back there.

8) BETTER Stroller Parking facilities around Pirates, Mansion, Jungle/Indianna.

Not Afraid
09-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by dshimel
8) BETTER Stroller Parking facilities around Pirates, Mansion, Jungle/Indianna.

Here Here!

Corith
09-05-2003, 08:54 AM
Merlinjones list is almost perfect, but I thought I'd add;

Tomorrowland, or whats left of this once vibrant land.
Over abundance of outdoor vending for food service.
Lack of maintenance in general
The missing Jugglers, barbershop quartet, live swing/jazz musicians.

Ghoulish Delight
09-05-2003, 09:30 AM
30) Ugly cash trap and locking bar inside Wishing Well ruins effectActually, I believe that was installed not as a cash trap but as a safety feature so no kids could fall very far into the well (not sure if that's better or worse, just true).

Hrmm, lemme see if I can steer this thread in a different direciton, because I'm really curious. What about Disneyland do you not like that doesn't have to do with the current regime? As much as I love Disneyland and like to look at Walt's vision through rose colored glasses, nothing or no one is perfect. Putting aside maintainacne issues, budget issues, etc., what don't you like, especially when it comes to premid-90s stuff, like my dislike for the ammount of shopping on Main Street.

How about some more from me.

6. Green water. I know it's necessary, and it makes for great jokes, but it just looks gross.

7. Fantasyland queues. Even as a kid those were torture to wait in, small, crowded, and hot.

8. The empty Space Mountain terrace. What's up with that? Do SOMETHING with it.

9. Lincoln, even the original. I have mixed feelings about it. I did always like it, but never enough to take that much time out of my day for it.

09-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

Hrmm, lemme see if I can steer this thread in a different direciton, because I'm really curious. What about Disneyland do you not like that doesn't have to do with the current regime?

1. The Haunted Mansion. It just doesn't do anything for me. If you love it, more power to you.

2. I have no loyalty to the Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, and Sleeping Beauty attractions. They're creeky. If you love them, I understand.

(For those launching retaliatory statements, my weak spot is the Submarine Voyage, greatest attraction ever in any amusement park. Period.)

Wfoxx
09-05-2003, 11:39 AM
Tomorrowland
Innoventions
No space mountain
No subs

scrat
09-05-2003, 11:48 AM
i really miss the sky trams... what a nice way to get from side of the park to the other, and see disneyland in a way you can't see it anymore. the subs... i have some great picks i took back in '95 of the crystal blue lagoon and bright canary yellow subs exploring the deep blue. i like the new scheme of TL but, i miss the white. it was soo classic and it reminded me more of the orginal SW movies where everthing was white. another thing i smiss and wish didn't change was space mountain. i remember it before they added the musical track and while it was added in stages. i miss the airiness of the ride as you started off and just the quietness of the ride where your mind can create any atmosphere it wanted(i'm very imaginative). that still enjoyed the ride after that until it closed til' 2005. another peeve is the absence of teh old people mover track. the PM was great and i enjoyed the 2 times i rod the RR. but, it just really needs something. hopefully something will happen to it with the 50th aniv. the revamp to POTC to make it politaclly correct. these just a few of gripes and small peeves. these still don't take away form the fun and great memories i still experience at disneyland! :D

Gemini Cricket
09-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Uh, I have one...

Big Thunder Moutain derailing... that's truly bad.

:(

MammaSilva
09-05-2003, 12:49 PM
:crying: I agree, my prayers going out to the injured

merlinjones
09-06-2003, 07:47 AM
86) Deferred maintenence

87) Parts on an as-needed, just-in-time basis

88) Demand for 20% annual growth in profits

89) Soviet syle accountaneering controls

90) Groupthink

92) Decision by committee

93) Design by committee

94) Opinion by survey

95) Surveys conducted to support preordained opinions

96) Pressler's list of classic attractions to be phased out

97) Short term thinking

98) Proliferation of ODV

99) New ODV lemonade trailers

100) Insular Imagineering theories

101) Lack of artists, visionaries, cartoonists and storytellers in imagineering vs. theme parkies and land developers

102) Budget cutting

veritybabe
09-06-2003, 07:52 AM
1. Tomorrow Land. I just HATE the assumption that everything will be circular or metallic "tomorrow". Plus, how rubbish is that Buzz Lightyear thingy?

that's all. Except the obvious things, like yesterday proved.