PDA

View Full Version : Please no Monstropolis

Pages : [1] 2

DARTH KNITE
07-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Am I the only one sickened by the rumors that Monstropolis will take over the Hollywood Backlot? Not only do I not like Pixar, but this franchise in particular I think is just awful. I was expecting Monsters to disappear after the DCA revamp, not get stronger. This has nothing to do with California. :(

https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-Monstropolis-In-DCA/514287378642872?ref=hl

cstephens
07-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Sickened? Wow, that's a pretty strong reaction. But rumours are just that - rumours.

DARTH KNITE
07-10-2013, 06:36 PM
They're a little more than rumors at this point, but I hope so.

Janis and Aaron
07-10-2013, 07:31 PM
This has nothing to do with California. :(

https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-Monstropolis-In-DCA/514287378642872?ref=hl

What do Cars Land and a bug's land have to do with California? Paradise Pier seems to have moved away from its California theming, too. If you're looking for the park to be an homage to California - well, that ship has already sailed, and it's a stronger park without all the CA references. My experience is that the locals didn't care, and the tourists didn't get the references.

I don't know how I feel about Hollywood Land becoming Monstropolis. Clearly something needs to be done with this area. It could be a fun theme, with the possibility of a Harryhausen's-type restaurant. I'm not a big fan of the movies, but as a theme it sounds fun. Just like Cars Land - I hate the movies but love the land.

olegc
07-10-2013, 08:17 PM
according to the reports - all of hollywood land would not change - only the backlot area. In fact - one of the reasons for the push is that this area is severely underutilized (except during summer Mad T Party crowds) and they definitely want to repeat some of the magic (read money) coming due to the Carsland and BVS changes. Remember, now DCA's areas are to be more of how walt was inspired by these California visions - you could call them caricatures or desired outcomes - of different eras in California. However, this is something usually discussed with Imagineers and not very visible or provided for the tourist or local guest.

You may not like it - but the crowds show otherwise. As long as the attractions are top notch and the areas well designed and planned out, these changes will come regardless of whether folks like Monsters Inc. or not. These are the Disney characters of the current age (pixar) so many attractions will be focused on those. I know some people did not like it when they heard Carsland was coming - but I bet at least half of those changed their tune once the final product was put in place.

The trick is, of course, to finish the project in the same way and not cut corners or do only 1/2 of what you want.

What do I find sad about the rumors? that website link above has a picture of the proposed areas of where things MIGHT be. Why do we need even more shops? And if you take out the stage, there will only be one place for local school performance groups to go - way in the back in Frontierland on the Festival arena stage. And that's really a shame.

carolinakid
07-11-2013, 04:39 AM
I may be wrong and I usually am, but I don't think the average tourist whether he be from the area or not is that interested in local school performers.....I know we're not. I can't see Disney foregoing prime theme park space which could be used for actual attractions/shops/dining in order to maintain an area for amateur talent to play.

Tan Da Man
07-11-2013, 07:48 AM
I totally agree. I am not a big fan of Cars Land either. I think its very well themed, and RSR is a cool rid, but I don't feel that movie warrants that much real estate. I feel like theyre setting themselves up to be dated in the future. I don't see movies like Cars or Monsters Inc as Disney "classics". Not to mention it would be a shame if half of DCA is themed of two movies.

olegc
07-11-2013, 08:26 AM
I may be wrong and I usually am, but I don't think the average tourist whether he be from the area or not is that interested in local school performers.....I know we're not. I can't see Disney foregoing prime theme park space which could be used for actual attractions/shops/dining in order to maintain an area for amateur talent to play.

oh I am not saying forgo new stuff for the groups. Its just sad to lose it. However, Disneyland will always have new stuff come in. You'd be surprised sometimes how many additional families come out and travel for the performances. Not each and every group - but some groups bring a few bus loads. For that day its good $$.

olegc
07-11-2013, 08:29 AM
I totally agree. I am not a big fan of Cars Land either. I think its very well themed, and RSR is a cool rid, but I don't feel that movie warrants that much real estate. I feel like theyre setting themselves up to be dated in the future. I don't see movies like Cars or Monsters Inc as Disney "classics". Not to mention it would be a shame if half of DCA is themed of two movies.

yeah - I can see that. Then I always go back to the classic arguments of "what about when Disneyland was first built and the movies they used..." Like Adventureland had 1 ride - based on the live action adventure films Walt and Co. created. Would you say back then "hey its all based on 1 ride". Its easy to discount now because of the changes that have happened over the 50 years or so - but it does make you stop and pause.

You could be right in the end - but that will be several years (decades?) down the road. I think the company is going to take their shot at spending some $$ now to earn $$$$$$$$$$$$ and worry about being dated later. (though those that know my posts from before know I'm not always in favor of that).

3Princesses1Prince
07-11-2013, 09:20 AM

I don't want Dca to turn into Pixar land (cars, bugs life already have lands there). I love Pixar! But, I think diversity of themes in parks would draw a more diverse crowd.

LauraTD
07-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Sickened? Wow, that's a pretty strong reaction. But rumours are just that - rumours.

I for one will be crushed if my beautiful memories of the classic Disney experience of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" are destroyed by s Pixar themed roller coaster. Oh.... wait.... actually that would be kind of awesome. I would prefer Meridaland, but I like Monsters Inc better than I do Cars and I love Carsland a whole lot, so while I will wait to have genuine emotions about this if and when it is genuinely announced by Disney, I plan to have genuinely good feelings about this. Especially if they put in a Harryhausen's and serve good sushi. I will be slightly sad to see the Muppets go, but I think the Muppets are going to go soon no matter what gets put there. And sushi would totally help dull the pain of missing the Muppets.

Pixar movies are Disney movies, more so than say, The Muppets, or Indiana Jones or Star Wars (at least back when they first put in Stair Tours) or The Twilight Zone. I love the Tower of Terror, the long lines seem to indicate I am not alone in this, but seriously it is quite a stretch to fit in in with either the original CA theme or the current theme of Walt's experience of CA. You know what, I manage to enjoy it anyways.

Yes Pixar is in Emeryville and not Hollywood, but it is part of CA and Pixar is a Disney company. Also how many of you wish they would take the current Monster Inc ride out and put back the old limo ride because that fit the Hollywood theme better? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

If they do it well, I say good on them.

CariBelle
07-11-2013, 10:06 AM
I think it would be great! Judging by the popularity of MU and how many little kids I see still enjoying the original Monsters movie I doubt it would seen dated any time soon.
Does Toy Story seen dated? Because it's closing in on being 20 years old. Monsters is 12 years old and Cars is 7. I think that should be the least worry about a potential Monsters area.

cstephens
07-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Especially if they put in a Harryhausen's and serve good sushi. I will be slightly sad to see the Muppets go, but I think the Muppets are going to go soon no matter what gets put there. And sushi would totally help dull the pain of missing the Muppets.

They used to serve decent sushi at Yamabuki's at the Paradise Pier Hotel. Sad when they closed.

I love the smell of the ginger on the Monsters ride.

AnotherJenny
07-11-2013, 10:34 AM
The Harryhausen's scene is probably my favorite scene in any DL dark ride. Like other's have said, I like Monster's Inc better than Cars, so I'd be happy to see more theming. It's a small area anyway, so I think adding a few atmosphere buildings next to the ride would be an enhancement, not a distraction.

It doesn't bother me that Disney is adding attractions based on their Pixar properties. I mean, I love Mr. Toad, but it's been 60+ years since that movie came out and it's barely on anyone's radar because they don't use the character. I want that ride to stay in the park, but I don't have an issue with attractions based on newer, more popular characters either.

Oh, and, I can get decent sushi a lot of places other than Disney. I'm a-ok with Disney not trying to add that offering.

Tan Da Man
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM
yeah - I can see that. Then I always go back to the classic arguments of "what about when Disneyland was first built and the movies they used..." Like Adventureland had 1 ride - based on the live action adventure films Walt and Co. created. Would you say back then "hey its all based on 1 ride". Its easy to discount now because of the changes that have happened over the 50 years or so - but it does make you stop and pause.

You could be right in the end - but that will be several years (decades?) down the road. I think the company is going to take their shot at spending some $$ now to earn $$$$$$$$$$$$ and worry about being dated later. (though those that know my posts from before know I'm not always in favor of that).

I think comparing Adventureland and Cars Land is completely off base. Adventureland is just themed as a jungle, That is a theme that lives on through generations, and can be easily adapted (i.e. Swiss Family Treehouse turned into the Tarzan tree house), and easily add new themed attractions like Indiana Jones, etc. Now had it been called "Jungle Book Land" it would've been outdated by now, there would be no Indiana jones in there, no tarzan tree house. I just don't see a Carsland or a Monsters Inc. land being as dynamic. In 20 years from now when Cars is irrelevant, because it really is one of the worst Pixar movies IMO, is it really a good business plan to have to spend another $500 million or whatever to totally revamp it? That's why I don't get it, just feels like theyre putting all their eggs into one basket, when they could be more broad, and reach more people and cash in on more of their assets.

But maybe youre right, I know theyre making a ton of cash right now, so maybe they think its a model that will work for 15 years or so and then they could re-theme it? Who knows..

houseofmouse
07-11-2013, 11:07 AM
I loved the first Monsters, one of my favorites. Second one was funny but not as good. What happened to them being best friends since 4th grade??
Anyway I don't think Carsland will lose it's ability to be popular with people. I mean we still have Snow White, ALice in Wonderland, Tarzan Treehouse etc... I liked the first Cars movie, hated the second and hopefully they won't make another. If done well using part of Hollywood Land as Monsters Inc theming is better than what is there now. Muppets no one watches, an empty building (I forget what its called) they use for the Lame dance party and no more shows other than school and dance groups on the stage. It would need to split off of Hollywood anyway because TOT of in Monsters land would just be wrong. :)

Moms
07-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I think Monstropolis would be a fabulous idea. My kids would LOVE it. As much as Pixar movies aren't classic Disney, they're what this generation of kids are growing up with. I think they'll hold up over time.

DARTH KNITE
07-11-2013, 11:21 AM
For starters, Bug's Land doesn't exactly break the theme. A farm area fits well enough. Cars Land, as they've stated and should be obvious to anyone, is Route 66. Hence the sign when you walk in. And Paradise Pier is completely California, so I don't know how anyone could question that. Monsters has simply never worked.

Drince88
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Bug's Land REPLACED the part of DCA that represented the agricultural part of the state - it doesn't represent agriculture.

DARTH KNITE
07-11-2013, 11:38 AM
It doesn't hurt the theme though. Monsters is a step back into what the revamp of DCA was supposed to fix. No one's saying leave the area untouched, just don't redo with this nonsense.

bumblebeeonarose
07-11-2013, 02:05 PM
I think the area already feels separate from Hollywood Land anyway. It's a back corner that sees little traffic during the day. It is easy to go around it, or even completely miss it, when walking through Hollywood towards TOT. We go back there to get our Visa pictures taken and ride Monsters. There is nothing else to do over there, and it is quite a large area. Monsters usually has a short line (not during our last visit, though I suspect that is because of the new movie), but I imagine it would be more popular if there was something else to draw people back there. Currently Hollywood Land seems pretty empty in general with the only ride being TOT. Yes, there are the Aladdin and Mickey's Club House shows as well as Muppets and the Animation building, but those are attractions not rides. I think it is a good idea to build another coaster in the park. There is room in that area, and the current Monsters ride provides a potential theme. Also, when I watch the movie I always think the door scene would make a good coaster. I think the theming of Carsland is great, and I hardly consider it one of their worst movies. If they incorporate the Monstropolis theme well, then it will be a nice additionl

Drince88
07-11-2013, 02:39 PM
It doesn't hurt the theme though.
That's your opinion, which you're entitled to. I don't think it really fits in with the new 'theme' at all - but I'm ok with that. And that's my opinion. I'm not as bothered by missing "theme" as I am to missing "story" and "detail" and I think Bugs Land and Cars Land are great examples of huge attention to detail.

DARTH KNITE
07-11-2013, 04:54 PM
I think the area already feels separate from Hollywood Land anyway. It's a back corner that sees little traffic during the day. It is easy to go around it, or even completely miss it, when walking through Hollywood towards TOT. We go back there to get our Visa pictures taken and ride Monsters. There is nothing else to do over there, and it is quite a large area. Monsters usually has a short line (not during our last visit, though I suspect that is because of the new movie), but I imagine it would be more popular if there was something else to draw people back there. Currently Hollywood Land seems pretty empty in general with the only ride being TOT. Yes, there are the Aladdin and Mickey's Club House shows as well as Muppets and the Animation building, but those are attractions not rides. I think it is a good idea to build another coaster in the park. There is room in that area, and the current Monsters ride provides a potential theme. Also, when I watch the movie I always think the door scene would make a good coaster. I think the theming of Carsland is great, and I hardly consider it one of their worst movies. If they incorporate the Monstropolis theme well, then it will be a nice additionl

Again, the problem is Cars Land supports a California theme. Monsters does not. It doesn't matter how well done, there are plenty of things to do with the land that would fit the theme.

bumblebeeonarose
07-11-2013, 07:48 PM
I don't really think that Disney California Adventure has much to do with California any longer. I really think the remodel of the park was to Disney-fy the park not make it more California based. I mean the wheel used to have a giant sun, now it has Mickey's head. The swings were a giant orange as a nod to orange growing, now they are based on an old Disney cartoon. Mulholland Madness referred to a California street, now it is themed to the old fashioned Goofy cartoons. Golden Dreams was replaced with Ariel. You could argue that Ariel lives in the sea and California is coastal; however, Prince Eric surely did not live in California. None of these are Pixar related either. And although GRR and the Entrance still maintain a California theme, they were also updated and lost their original California concept.

The park needs something in that corner and really is in need of another E-ticket and greater ride capacity. The Monster's theme will be nice, even if un-California.

Janis and Aaron
07-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Also, when I watch the movie I always think the door scene would make a good coaster.

We've thought that too! That would be sooooooooo fun!