PDA

View Full Version : Beating The Heat At Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

zombie pirate
06-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I got family comming here in July, and we plan on spending a few days at Disneyland. I usually only go in the winter/spring because I hate hot weather. I was just trying to get some ideals on how to stay cool in this sometimes 100 degree weather that happens here in Southern California durning the summer? Are there cool zones thru out the park? Do they sell gatorade in the park, or can you bring your own? How much does a bottle of water cost in the park? Any ideals would be helpful. :cool::cool::cool:

MammaSilva
06-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Do you plan on getting hotel rooms near the resort or driving in and staying all day? Obviously if you've got hotel rooms the advice is going to be different than if you are driving in and doing the stay all day thing. If you're driving I'd really suggest waiting til the heat of the day hits and starts to wane, Start your day late afternoon and go til park close, the heat won't be as intense. If you have morning folks (and there are people who do much better at 6am than 10 pm) get there at rope drop, do the 'big rides' first thing then hit the shows that are in the air conditioning, like Aladdin and Mr. Lincoln, ride the 'wet' rides like Splash or Grizzley. As for the drinks, I know we take waters in with us every trip with no problems and I have seen other folks bringing other drinks, no glass is the one deal breaking rule, there is no exceptions to the no glass rules. They will allow a small cooler (think six pack size) without any hassles so I'd freeze a few bottles of whatever and have cold bottles ready to grab. Take turns being the person who carries the cooler or put it in a backpack for easier transport. Toss in a few salty snacks to help with the sodium issues.

tea4two
06-29-2013, 04:57 PM
I got family comming here in July, and we plan on spending a few days at Disneyland. I usually only go in the winter/spring because I hate hot weather. I was just trying to get some ideals on how to stay cool in this sometimes 100 degree weather that happens here in Southern California durning the summer? Are there cool zones thru out the park? Do they sell gatorade in the park, or can you bring your own? How much does a bottle of water cost in the park? Any ideals would be helpful. :cool::cool::cool:

You can bring your own Gatorade as long as it is not in a glass container. First Aid and various other locations (e.g. Plaza Inn, Rancho del Zocalo, etc.) have cold, filtered water for refilling water bottles -- much less expensive than buying new bottles throughout the day. First Aid is air-conditioned, and the nurses don't mind if you rest on the bench for a bit to cool down. Wet rides are great for cooling off -- GRR, Splash Mt. -- and water rides in general are cooling (e.g. POTC, IASW, etc.). The area in DCA by the waterfalls is nice and cool in the shade. The large size Jamba smoothies are great for cooling off while strolling through the parks, as is anything from the ice cream vendors or shops and, of course, Dole Whips, too. Don't know if your family members are used to really hot weather or not -- if not, keep reminding them to keep hydrated and to rest when they feel tired or dizzy.

Drince88
06-29-2013, 05:03 PM
My 'rule-of-thumb' on hydration is if you're not using the facilities, you're not drinking enough.

zombie pirate
06-29-2013, 05:13 PM
MammaSilve We live only live within 100 miles here in San Diego so we plan on driving back n forth for 3 days. I love long drives so its not bad in my newly charged up air condition SUV. I just dont like being out in the sun all day. Plus We will stay to they kick us out.

MammaSilva
06-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Then I'd strongly suggest you do the second half of the day plan, let everyone sleep late, have a good breakfast and let the normal traffic die down then head out...pack a change of clothes for the wet attractions, go see the shows during the heat of the day and as the sun settles hit all the big rides. The only issue with that plan would be Racers but depending on the ages of the group you could consider single rider line or just pick one of the days to go at rope drop to try for fast passes?

candles71
06-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Water is $4 a bottle. We used to buy a case. The last few trips I take my wide mouthed refillable and fill it with ice water.

adriennek
06-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Water is $4 a bottle. We used to buy a case. The last few trips I take my wide mouthed refillable and fill it with ice water.

And... instead of bringing in Gatorade, how about bringing in something to mix into the water? I like Nuun tablets and they fit nicely in my backpack - lighter to carry around than bottles of Gatorade. You can refill your water bottles at the restaurants and even get a little ice. Yes, I always ask, first.

This MousePlanet article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9294/Feeling_Hot_Hot_Hot) also has several suggestions for beating the heat at Disneyland.

leota's necklace
06-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Keep your body temp down as much as you can. Remember that you can cool down quickly by applying cold compresses to your wrists/inner forearms and your neck, where your blood vessels are close to the skin. Take frequent breaks to run cool water over your wrists or apply damp paper towels to the back of your neck. Consider investing in chiller neck wraps, they really help.

josephfive
06-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Refillable water bottles. Refill at First Aid. If it's very hot, they sometimes offer cold compresses.
DH gets really hot on his back, so he doesn't carry a backpack on those days. I get really hot on the top of my head, so I need to wear a visor or a looser hat.
Wear looser clothing.
I find DCA much hotter than DL. Plan day accordingly.
The mister fans are nice and can also distract your group while in a long line :)
Get soaked on Splash and GRR. Go for it!!

olegc
06-30-2013, 08:28 AM
for me - I try to not stand in the direct sun too long (i noticed folks in some of the outdoor queues avoiding sun on Thursday - and making lines a little longer).
I would respectfully disagree with Mamma Silva - 1st opening is a great time to catch a lot of attractions especially when the weather is a little cooler (and the parks are not as crowded). This is the time to go after attractions without indoor or shaded queues, or ones that are very hot and close-quartered (peter pan anyone?). then this would give you more opportunity during the rest of the day to take breaks and find shade.

I think its obvious but I will add finding indoor locations with some seating - or at least room to spread out. Opera House, Animation Building, etc. One of the coolest places I have stood in is Pioneer Mercantile in Frontierland. It may not have any seating - but for some reason that little space has excellent air conditioning!

MammaSilva
06-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Olegc, if they were at a hotel at the resort I would be 100 percent in agreement with you but since they have the drive from San Diego to make if they try to be at rope drop you're looking at what could be 2 hours or more on the road translating to leaving home no later than 5am to be at the gates at opening (8am) by noon they are going to be running on empty just as the heat really hits the hardest. They want to close the parks so now you're talking a 16 hour park day, plus getting ready/travel time, at that point I honestly would be concerned about anyone being safe to drive another 100 miles back home with heat and exhaustion.

olegc
06-30-2013, 08:53 AM
Olegc, if they were at a hotel at the resort I would be 100 percent in agreement with you but since they have the drive from San Diego to make if they try to be at rope drop you're looking at what could be 2 hours or more on the road translating to leaving home no later than 5am to be at the gates at opening (8am) by noon they are going to be running on empty just as the heat really hits the hardest. They want to close the parks so now you're talking a 16 hour park day, plus getting ready/travel time, at that point I honestly would be concerned about anyone being safe to drive another 100 miles back home with heat and exhaustion.

Oh I'm not saying you are wrong. I just have a different opinion, that's all. if they are spending multiple days then maybe one day could be an "early" day - come early, leave early, instead of closing the parks.

I, though, would consider the hotel option even though the drive doesn't seem too bad. You never know with traffic especially since there are only 2 ways into and out of san diego county and one accident can add signifcant time.

Again - my opinions. And I do appreciate yours Mamma Silva.

MammaSilva
06-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Oh I think the idea of considering an early day is excellent, especially if they have hoppers with a magic morning. I'd consider getting a room for one of the days to do exactly that, take advantage of those wonderful early hours before the parks are nuts! I'm sure the budget is a consideration, but I do know that the motel six is pretty reasonable for a resort area motel.

candles71
06-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Yes, Adrienne, we keep crystal light, sugar free koolaid, etc packets that are for a 16 oz bottle in our bag. I think they make the Gatorade packets as well.

BlkPearlCptn
06-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Yes they do make the Gatorade packets. I always bring a Camelbak. I fill it with ice and water and am good to go. The ice cold backpack also helps keep my back cool as well.

emgm
06-30-2013, 01:36 PM
We are going in July for the first time also (we like the cooler seasons), these are great tips! We always bring a couple bottles of water each, and they are heavy in the morning before we've drunk them. I never thought of taking one bottle and refilling it in the restaurants like Rancho del Zocalo and Plaza Inn! What a GREAT tip! What other restaurants let you fill your water bottles?

candles71
06-30-2013, 03:09 PM
any counter service will give you cups of ice water that you can pour in. I fill it at those 2 as well as the new pizza pasta place in DCA. Plaza, I asked on the way in. Rancho, I will ask to fill with ice, their water is in the dining area. The place in DCA, I will fill and then make sure the checkout CM knows I only filled my water bottle. I also leave the lid off so they can see it is only water (my bottle is raspberry in color, so hard to see through).

Fruit is always a good treat when it is hot. you can freeze grapes and eat them frozen/slushie.

Malcon10t
06-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I believe there is a place to fill water bottles by the Mint Julip location (back side of French Market.) Also, First Aid will usually let you fill up.

SigalTchelet
06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
When I go to the CA State Fair (where it gets SUPER hot, I buy those really big water bottles (Litre?) and freezae them several days before. Just put them in your backpack to keep you cool, and then as they melt, you hacve ice water right at your fingertips!

snoopyfink
07-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Refillable bottles are definitely the way to go, less to carry! Everyone seems to be mentioning specific locations to refill, I'd just also like to point out that drinking fountains are easy to find in some of the ride queues as well as by every restroom. Some people may say the water tastes funny, but I've never found that to be the case. We also recently bought Brita water bottles (the filter is built into the cap)-- so that may help with the taste as well. http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Squeeze-Water-Filter-Bottle/dp/B004GN6QV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372697071&sr=8-2&keywords=brita+bottle Available at Target as well. In addition to being hot, it will be crowded in July, so I suggest doing high capacity shows and attractions during the heat of the day, basically noon - 5. Things like Tiki Room, Mr. Lincoln, Aladdin, Turtle Talk, Muppets 3-D, Animation Academy, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid are all lines that move relatively quickly.

BlkPearlCptn
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
I avoid the drinking fountains ever since I witnessed (multiple times) people changing baby diapers in them

zombie pirate
07-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Has anyone tried these?

http://www.makeitmio.com/

Malcon10t
07-01-2013, 02:20 PM
I avoid the drinking fountains ever since I witnessed (multiple times) people changing baby diapers in themThat could not have been comfortable for the baby, and simply doesn't make sense.

BlkPearlCptn
07-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Let me clarify. What they were actually doing was washing off the baby's bottom in the fountains while changing the baby