PDA

View Full Version : No more early gate opening/Main Street rope drops

Darkbeer
09-03-2003, 12:22 PM
As of August 25th, Disneyland is no longer opening the gates 1/2 hour early, and allowing folks to wait in the Main Street area until the park opens.

So now when the park opens at 10 AM, that is when the ticket gates will open.

scaeagles
09-03-2003, 12:29 PM
They weren't doing it in late July when we were there either....is this just the official announcement?

Darkbeer
09-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Well, when the parked opened early (8 AM), they never offered the rope drop. So they might have started this earlier, it is just more noticeable when the park opens at 10 AM.

Disneyphile
09-03-2003, 01:19 PM
:sigh:

One of my fave things was the anticipation of that rope drop. :(

jackyb
09-03-2003, 01:56 PM
What if you want to eat at the Plaza Inn for Breakfast, how does it work if the park doesn't open until 10:00 am?

innerSpaceman
09-03-2003, 02:07 PM
I predict this will soon go the way of Main Street not remaining open an additional hour after closing for the guests' shopping convenience.

It is a source of revenue to have Main Street open before the park does, and once that revenue is gone, I think the policy will change.

fairytalelover
09-03-2003, 02:11 PM
But it doesn't make any sense. Why would stop letting people shop after the park closes? That is when they make so much money.

lisap
09-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Very disappointing. Rope drop is one of my favorite times of the day at the park. Ism--I hope your prediction is right. :(

Jewels
09-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Hi guys,

I thought I would let you know since I am in DL right now we have been here since 9/8 and they have been doing 1/2 hour early entries to Main Street each day so far. I was happy because it just does not feel like DL with out the rope drop.

We are having so much fun! Thank you for all your help. My niece is having a wonderful time.

SoCalSnowWhite
09-11-2003, 04:28 PM
I am sooooo sad!!!!!:crying:

I never got to experience the rope drop, I was never even sure that they really did that. The only time I've ever seen it was on TV shows, for the ritual Disney vacation. I almost made it, missed it by minutes. Now I'll never get to experience that part of Disney magic.:(

EandCDad
09-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by SoCalSnowWhite
Now I'll never get to experience that part of Disney magic.:(

I wouldn't be so sure. In addition to Kalerose's posting that they have been opening early and allowing people on to Main Street, this trip report (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19948) from bluesilva also notes that they got in 1/2 hour early.

It doesn't appear that the "no more early gate opening" in the original post is ironclad.

JenGood008
09-11-2003, 07:19 PM
Don't worry! As of 9/10 (Wednesday) the rope drop was alive and well!

Biscuit
09-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Hi Guys

During my first visit to DL in March (no longer a DL virgin!) there was no rope drop then (even on the busy weekend). Do they only do this during high season (ie: summer)?

Amanda

stitcher
09-11-2003, 08:23 PM
There's a rule to determining whether or not they will have a rope drop on a given day...will report back later

cemeinke
09-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by stitcher
There's a rule to determining whether or not they will have a rope drop on a given day...will report back later

Do they run a quick credit check on the days hotel guests to see the amount of credit they have left to spend?

Disneyphile
09-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
Do they run a quick credit check on the days hotel guests to see the amount of credit they have left to spend?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Can't....... breathe............. laughing too hard......... :D

cstephens
09-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by jackyb
What if you want to eat at the Plaza Inn for Breakfast, how does it work if the park doesn't open until 10:00 am?

According to the CM I talked to yesterday, Plaza Inn opens for breakfast a half hour before park opening, unless the park opens at 8am, in which case, so do they. So, the doing away with the half-hour thing doesn't appear to be happening just yet.

RStar
09-12-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Kalerose
Hi guys,

I love to hear from people while they are there having a good time at the park! Puts a smile on my face every time.

Have fun Kalerose and clan!

Dark Beer, where is this info comming from? Will it hinge on opening times, where some days it still may happen, and other days not (like Stitcher eluded to)?

I feel it will be a short lived policy as well, if it happends. Just like the close of Main Street at park closing. Just a dumb idea IMHO.

jackyb
09-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks cstephens for letting me know about the Plaza Inn. We plan on eating there in October and want to get there early! :)

mlnreplyer
09-14-2003, 08:12 AM
I found this out the hard way, when my father woke me and my brother up at 5:00 a.m. to take my brother to Disneyland for his birthday on August 29th. We arrived at 7:30 to find that there was no rope drop scheduled for that day. :mad: :mad: My brother and me were both extremely mad at my father, whom we didn't speak to for a week following this incident. Part-Italians sure can hold grudges.

The Photographer
09-17-2003, 06:26 PM
I went to DL on September 3rd and they opened the gates 30 minutes early. At the end of Main Street stood Disney security and the Keystone Cop. I'm guessing they did the "Rope Drop" though I couldn't see.

I never even knew they had this. I thought it was cool since I'd never been to the park at opening.

Kevy Baby
09-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Actually, it may have to do with security. I have heard (albiet, not necessarily an overly reliable source) that the FBI may have suggested this.

But then again, this could be just total mallarky :p

Nephythys
09-18-2003, 09:40 AM
I was there from July 5th to the 13th and they simply opened at 8am- no rope drop- no early entry at all- is it just because of the early hours?

I don't see the appeal of being in the crowd of people though- I already found people to be very rude when they wanted to get in first-:mad: