PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye to the Bears

Lost Boy
09-03-2001, 05:58 PM
A group of us Country Bear fans met at Disneyland Sunday the 3rd at 1pm for lunch at the Blue Bayou and then went to see the Bears. The group inlcuded Paul Berrie Jr., the founder and Webmaster of the Country Bear Playhouse Web Site and Doobie and Rebecca from Laughing Place dot Com. We had a wonderful lunch and talked about all things Disneyland.
At around 2pm we all meanered over to the Playhouse. Much to our suprise (and delight) the Bears are really pulling in the crowds for there final week. (The Park Map handout now includes a notice at the top left corner of the map to come see the Henry, Teddy Bera and all the bears as they are leaving permanenly soon - so they have finally acknowledged that the Bears are leaving Disneyland forever). The cast members that we talked to all seemed sad that the Bears are leaving. We had a group photo taken in front of the Playhouse. Then, also much to our surprise and delgiht, the Bears were out and walking around Critter Country. Haven't seen the costumed bears in ages and it was quite a treat. Wendel now carries his own little camera and takes pictures for himself. I found two of them in a spot by the entrance to the Playhouse and went up and told them how sad it was that they were leaving and how upset I was about it all. They both hugged me and we all just stood there hugging and crying. It was very emotional. We stayed in the theater through 2 full shows and clapped and cheered and cried at the end. It suddenly hit me while watching the second show that this was it. I would never see my friends perform again.
I think most people forget that this attraction has more of an emotional pull than most other attractions at the Park. Skyway, Rocketrods, and others are just rides. But with the Country Bears there is 30 years of watching them perform. They have become much loved characters at the Park for a lot of us and we now have to say Goodbye to them. For us, and I think for a lot of people who just are too chicken to admit it, that they will be missed.
Goodbye to all our tried and true friends who for 30 years have given us much happiness and joy. From this fanboy anyway, you will be missed more than any other show that has closed in recent years.
Goodbye.

Napsto
09-03-2001, 06:35 PM
i am glad that you had fun and remineced.

DisneylandBoy
09-03-2001, 06:43 PM
When do they go? I want to see them one more time.

Lost Boy
09-03-2001, 06:46 PM
Sunday, Sept 9th will be the last day. The cast members at the Park get a final goodbye performance just for them after the Park closes that night. Any castmember who want to go can go and they can wear there cast clothes. Also, those Castmembers who actually work on the attraction are going to recieve a commorative pin. Of course, us fans who love the show, get nothing.
Just memories. And Video Tapes that we have taken. I think that Country Bear Playhouse Web site will have video of the DL show soon.

JRob2k1
09-03-2001, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
Sunday, Sept 9th will be the last day.

*sigh*

-JRob

disneyhead
09-03-2001, 07:32 PM
Here is an announcement from Disney.com:

"Catch the Country Bear Playhouse One Last Time!

That's right, folks, after 29 years of fiddling, banjoing and crooning their way into your hearts with their "beary" entertaining songs and antics, Big Al, Teddi Barra, Liver Lips McGrowl and the rest of the Country Bear gang are going into hibernation.

DisneylandŽ park's Country Bear Playhouse, which premiered in 1972, features over 20 Audio-Animatronic animals in a jamboree of silly songs, amusing anecdotes and plenty of laughs. In 1984, it even expanded to include a popular holiday edition, "Country Bear Christmas Show," which has also played every year since its introduction.

But while they may be calling it quits, they're not done quite yet. They'll be giving farewell performances now through September 9, when the curtain will fall one last time on their wacky entertainment revue. Don't miss this opportunity to catch the Country Bear Playhouse one last time!"

PirateoftheCaribbean
09-03-2001, 07:33 PM
I was there about three weeks ago, and I saw the show ten times during the four-day trip. It would have been nice to see the costumed characters again, though. I imagine they'll be around for the movie, though. Does anyone know if there is any merchandise for the Bears Closing?

Gauchograd99
09-03-2001, 08:32 PM
I went and saw the Bears on Sunday and ran into an Imagineer and a TV star (not giving out names sorry) there to see a final performance. I am really sad to see them go, but at least I have a video of the show now for me to transfer to DVD later.

Anyone interested in having a showing on Sat or Sunday (final day)?? I am asking friends of mine and I usually go on Sundays. Anyone who wants to perhaps meet at the usual (Goofy, even though I have not met there yet) then caravan over to see the Bears after lunch or something lemme know. I am pretty open to options.

Embalmerdude
09-03-2001, 09:21 PM
I am a long time reader and first time poster here
I am such a big fan of the Bears and I would have
wished that Disney would have atleast given the
bears a farewell that is fitting to this great attraction!
If the bears must leave... fine.... I dont like that, but fine!
But atleast there should have been a more fitting tribute to
them for the 30 years of joy that they brought to us!
Not like this! what is this?? It is so ho hum and low key! Truly disappointing!
I spent about an hour talking with a few CM's and Wendell the Bear at the Playhouse this afternoon. Of course it is somber and ever so bitter sweet. But we all expected more from Disney for this Farewell.
I wish they had thought this through and brought back the Original Performance for this last week! Gosh it has been ages since I saw that show, and I remember playing the show over and over on my vinyl Disneyland LP when I was a kid.
That would have been so fitting!
What is so odd, is that this event (suprisingly) isnt being merchandised!
I really would have liked to had some collectible items available for the final performances and especially since the Disneyana Day, and you can be sure that I will be heading to the playhouse too!
<sigh> thanks for hearing me out guys....

Lost Boy
09-03-2001, 09:53 PM
I too was surprized that no merchandise was being peddled. They must have gotten rid of all the Bear Bennies at those discount stores that open up around the area from time to time. I got all the Bear Beanies that sold at the Park for $8.00 for 99 cents each at one of these stores last year.
But for a company that seems to live for the almighty dollar they are sure missing out on this one. Pins and recording CD's of the show would have been something. But to have nothing is really sad.

amynicole22
09-04-2001, 08:14 AM
I'm going Saturday to say my good-byes. I remember seeing the Country Bears when I was no bigger than 4 or so, and they were my favorite throughout my childhood. I'm really going to miss them.

Ack...tearing up...:crying: All the more reason to plan a trip to WDW, I suppose. :crying:

Thomas
09-04-2001, 09:14 AM
I know I will be hated for this, but I am actually glad the Bears are going. I just hope that Disney does not mess up when they transform this area to give Pooh more room.

Is there any truth to the rumor the Bears will be seen in GBR in DCA????

Gandalf
09-04-2001, 10:33 AM
I'm hoping Disney puts one of the CBJ theaters even a shortened version somewhere in or near the Challenge Trail. It wouldn't take up too much area. It sounds like they may be going to change Bountiful Farms into a small riders version area only. We had heard that they had even considered replacing some of the growing area with agroponics(spelling?). I didn't realize it but supposedly there are some California desert communities that make a pretty good living off of it along with catfish farms out there.