PDA

View Full Version : Why is there so much trash in the waters of DL?

Pages : [1] 2

fairytalelover
09-02-2003, 10:45 AM
The last few times I have gone to DL, I have noticed a great deal of trash in the water in front of the Sleeping Beauty Castle, in the water next to the little Roller Coaster in Toon Town, Where the Subs are and a few other places. It is really disgusting. It tarnishes the image of DL and the atmosphere. First of all I have a problem with the jerks that have so little respect that they throw their trash in the water. Secondly, I want to know why DL can't have their cleaning staff check on the status of the waters during the day and take care of it.
The interesting thing was when I went to DCA, I did not see any trash in their waters.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Answer #1 - People are disgusting, lazy jerks that can't walk 10 feet to throw something in a garbage can. There are so many garbage cans at the DLR that there is simply no excuse.

Answer #2 - The DLR doesn't clean out the waters enough. Simple enough. They need sweepers for the water, somehow.

Originally posted by fairytalelover
The interesting thing was when I went to DCA, I did not see any trash in their waters. Less people, less trash. There's also less water at DCA.

fairytalelover
09-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Answer #1 - People are disgusting, lazy jerks that can't walk 10 feet to throw something in a garbage can. There are so many garbage cans at the DLR that there is simply no excuse.

Answer #2 - The DLR doesn't clean out the waters enough. Simple enough. They need sweepers for the water, somehow.

Less people, less trash. There's also less water at DCA.

I believe you are right about DCA. There are less people.

About DL, I don't understand why they don't clean out the waters enough. Why can't they get sweepers for the water? It's seems like such a simple answer, but they don't do it.

SacTown Chronic
09-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Cadaverous Pallor is dead on.

People that litter are lazy, selfish jerks and I can't stand them. Imagine spending all that money to go to DL only to throw your trash on the ground. I never let people get away with that if I see it. They have no right trashing my planet.

I'd like to pee in their swimming pool!

fairytalelover
09-02-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by SacTown Chronic

People that litter are lazy, selfish jerks and I can't stand them. Imagine spending all that money to go to DL only to throw your trash on the ground. I never let people get away with that if I see it. They have no right trashing my planet.

I'd like to pee in their swimming pool!

LOL!!! Pee in their swimming pool!!:D

But, do you really say something to people you see throwing their trash?

Rallymonkey23
09-02-2003, 01:32 PM
CP is right on the money.

But, do you really say something to people you see throwing their trash?

I have done this before. The lady looked at me, looked at the trash, and told me that if I wanted Disneyland spottless, then I should get a job there. :rolleyes:

Funny thing though, I have picked up trash (just a wrapper or something like that) with my hands and threw it away. :geek:

fairytalelover
09-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Rallymonkey23
CP is right on the money.

I have done this before. The lady looked at me, looked at the trash, and told me that if I wanted Disneyland spottless, then I should get a job there. :rolleyes:

Funny thing though, I have picked up trash (just a wrapper or something like that) with my hands and threw it away. :geek:

Well, what did you say to her? Did you just tell her to pickup her trash? I am just wondering what the best way would be to confront somebody.

Rallymonkey23
09-02-2003, 01:47 PM
I kindly asked her to help keep the park clean and pick up her trash! :D

I thought I was being kind. I'm guessing she wasn't in a good mood. ;)

fairytalelover
09-02-2003, 01:53 PM
I kindly asked her to help keep the park clean and pick up her trash! :D

I thought I was being kind. I'm guessing she wasn't in a good mood. ;)

Did you say anything back to her when she talked back to you like that?

cstephens
09-02-2003, 01:54 PM

Pun intended? ;)

As for people throwing trash everywhere, it really is something I don't understand. I like the new ad campaign that I've seen on TV that shows a guy throwing trash out his car window while driving on the freeway. Two guys come to his house, ask to be let into his house, and then dump trash into his living room. It's not so cool when someone does it to you, is it?

I could almost, almost understand dumping trash around if there were no trash cans around, though I've been known to carry trash around for a while until I can find a trash can. But it's not like there aren't trash cans everywhere in DL.

As for confronting others, I've done it on occasion. You just have to be careful that you don't get into something you don't mean to.

Rallymonkey23
09-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
Did you say anything back to her when she got all ****y with you?

Yup, sure did!

It's a line that I got from "That Guy", Cemeinke.

"Have a magical day!" :~D :D

fairytalelover
09-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Yup, sure did!

It's a line that I got from "That Guy", Cemeinke.

"Have a magical day!" :~D :D

LOL!! That's a good one.

julia
09-02-2003, 02:04 PM
Hi,

I agree - it is gross to throw all the trash into the water. (But, I am also one of those overly well-mannered natives of Seattle that stand in the rain at deserted intersection waiting for the walk sign to change for me. ) I hadn't noticed, but then, I am usually so delirious with joy at Disneyland. We all need to mention it to the people at Guest Services because Disney really does listen to comments. Some friends saw a lot of trash on the roof of the Grand Californian Hotel, too. Bummer.

It shouldn't be too hard to use one of those devices that lifeguards use to clean swimming pools at country clubs, public pools, etc. Maybe they just haven't noticed as they run by the water?

Have a magical day!

Disneyphile
09-02-2003, 02:45 PM
I say throw the litterbug in the water and make them fish it out. :~D

Litter ticks me off, whether it be at DL or anywhere! :mad:

fairytalelover
09-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Disneyphile
I say throw the litterbug in the water and make them fish it out. :~D

Litter ticks me off, whether it be at DL or anywhere! :mad:

Me too. But, I want to know how to confront the people without them beating me up:)

SacTown Chronic
09-02-2003, 02:55 PM
fairytalelover,

I do say something when I see a litterbug.

If I'm alone or with grown-ups, I tell them directly to their face to pick up the trash and that they have no right to litter in a public place.

If I'm with my kids, I say (loud enough for the offender to hear) "Hey look, they just littered". Or "Wow, they just threw a candy bar wrapper on the ground". I try not to directly confront people when I'm with children. They don't need the trauma of seeing me get shot.

fairytalelover
09-02-2003, 02:59 PM
fairytalelover,

I do say something when I see a litterbug.

If I'm alone or with grown-ups, I tell them directly to their face to pick up the trash and that they have no right to litter in a public place.

If I'm with my kids, I say (loud enough for the offender to hear) "Hey look, they just littered". Or "Wow, they just threw a candy bar wrapper on the ground". I try not to directly confront people when I'm with children. They don't need the trauma of seeing me get shot.

LOL!! Getting shot??!?! Holy Cow!! Maybe I will use the indirect way of just saying loudly that I saw them drop some trash! :D

MonorailMan
09-02-2003, 03:05 PM
What really needs to be cleaned is the bottom of the Old Sub loading area.
"Voyage through liquid waste!"*

*Yes, I am refgering to the rumor that someone peed in the Sub Lagoon. ;)

Cadaverous Pallor
09-02-2003, 06:57 PM
I don't say things to people that litter. If they already think that littering is a good idea, I know I will want to have as little real contact with them as possible. :rolleyes:

I sometimes pick up litter when I see it, especially if it's "clean" litter. I like helping the park to look good. :)

If I'm with my kids, I say (loud enough for the offender to hear) "Hey look, they just littered". Or "Wow, they just threw a candy bar wrapper on the ground". I try not to directly confront people when I'm with children. They don't need the trauma of seeing me get shot. IMHO, "Indirect" confrontation, aka "saying things loudly in their presence", is going to anger people far more than walking up to them and saying in a polite voice, "Please don't litter." Many people think this is a rude way to change others' behavior (even if you do it as politely as possible). And when you're trying to get people to be polite, being rude doesn't help your case.

I only say this because I used to do it a lot myself. Now, I'm a lot more direct, and make sure I'm very, very polite.

sleepyjeff
09-02-2003, 07:26 PM
I would like to add my two cents here.

I ve noticed that the litter has increased right in line with the increase in outdoor vending carts. There is always going to be litter lazies who think the world is there trash can. This attitude has NOT increased since the 1950s. The wild card in this equation is once again TDA.

Please note I am not defending litter bugs. They are lazy vile people who I simply despise. That being said I stand by my assertion that the increase in litter thru out the Park is a by-product of corporate attitude towards it's own guests. Be it the vending carts clogging the walkways or the cut in sanitation budgets......the math is simple.

pixiepal
09-02-2003, 08:02 PM
When I see someone litter, not just at Disneyland, but ANYWHERE, I say "Excuse me? You dropped something!" I am very polite and sweet and non-confrontational. It catches them off guard, and 9 times out of 10 they pick it up without saying a word!:p

Cadaverous Pallor
09-02-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
I ve noticed that the litter has increased right in line with the increase in outdoor vending carts.Hmmm. I feel obliged to mention that ODV exists because people like buying from ODV. If you don't like ODV blame the consumers. TDA is just fulfilling what we want, in this case at least. I can't blame theme for having ODV while it is a sound business decision.

I still blame the litterers, no matter where you purchase your food.

Not Afraid
09-02-2003, 09:50 PM
When I think about litter in the Park, I think of the piece of plastic that killed the (my) Cygnet last year.

People who litter should be shot.:mad:

Lashbear
09-02-2003, 10:27 PM
I usually go up to offenders and pretend like it was their wallet or something valuable they dreopped and say "Oh, excuse me, I'm sorry, but I think you dropped something important back there.

Mostly they're too taken aback to say "Naw, it's just trash", and 99 times out of 100 they pick it up ! :D

...It usually doesn't work with cigarette butts, and things thrown into bodies of water though :(

sleepyjeff
09-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Hmmm. I feel obliged to mention that ODV exists because people like buying from ODV. If you don't like ODV blame the consumers. TDA is just fulfilling what we want, in this case at least. I can't blame theme for having ODV while it is a sound business decision.

I still blame the litterers, no matter where you purchase your food.

I agree that literers are to blame for littering( yes I am taking on that powerful pro-littering lobby)....but I would like to point out that 99.99% of the trash DID NOT orginate from a sit down restuarant.

Litterers are lazy....they don't bus their own table just so they can throw the trash away later in the sub lagoon;)

As for ODV existing because it is what we want...........then I guess most of TL is gone because we did not want it
:confused: