PDA

View Full Version : Movie Studio in DCA's Hollywood and Dine?

Mr. Fusion
09-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Here's an idea: how about converting the old Hollywood and Dine food court building into a soundstage for the Walt Disney Studios?

From all that I've been reading, it seems Burbank has been holding onto the reins of both parks more than anything else (Pirates premiere, cutbacks, etc.) Perhaps it would be in everyone's best interests if they converted that huge building into a soundstage.

Some of the benefits:

Attracting REAL Stars into the Hollywood Pictures Backlot
Lower Maintenance Costs compared to most ride attractions
Production Flexabilty for those who need a soundstage closer to Orange County
Real, Working Studio can be added to DCA's repertoire, similar to the Disney Studios at WDW.
Bigger Star-Gazing Pull, especially compared to Superstar Limo
Constant Star-Gazing Draw instead of relying on ABC Primetime Weekends, X-Games or other make-shift events

Security, among other issues, will have to be dealt with so tourists don't 'accidentally' stuble onto the set, but this does not seem like much of a problem at USH's lower lot section.

Stars, cast, and crew could come out at scheduled intervals to wave to the crowd (and maybe even sign autographs,) but the ability to bank on star-gazing in this manner would be the missing link to the rest of the HPB area. And if hyped well (one thing I can usually count on from Disney,) it could at least double or triple the attendance already drawn from Lucky the Dinosaur.

Plus, with the addition of a soundstage directly on DLR, that might allow more tv shows to film 'vacation specials' in the Anaheim parks instead of at WDW (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm030820sl.htm).

Thoughts?

-Mr. Fusion

Guest_Control
09-02-2003, 12:23 PM
That's not a bad idea; I just don't know that tapings of ABC (or any other networks') series would be much of an attendance draw. While the chance of seeing real stars is a big attendance draw for USH, people mostly just want to see the animated stars at Disneyland and DCA. I'd be much happier if they built a ride in that area, as opposed to another show building.

Mr. Fusion
09-02-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Guest_Control
That's not a bad idea; I just don't know that tapings of ABC (or any other networks') series would be much of an attendance draw. While the chance of seeing real stars is a big attendance draw for USH, people mostly just want to see the animated stars at Disneyland and DCA. I'd be much happier if they built a ride in that area, as opposed to another show building.

True, I'd be delighted if they built a good ride in that area. Unfortunately, with the way management is these days, they have to guarantee a substancial profit from any park enhancement. By adding a soundstage, they can cheaply convert a building taking up space into one that makes revenue for both Disneyland AND for the Walt Disney Studios, especially if they can convince other studios to rent out the soundstage for film & tv productions. Aside from money, it also generates good publicity for the production itself; people will anticipate seeing the final product, whether it be a certain scene from a movie or a new tv show pilot.

Here's another idea, what if they were to produce a tv show that needed a live studio audience? Granted, most people do not want to spend more than half an hour at an attraction, so some adjustments could be made (rotating guests through, etc.)

However, many travelers want to experience the LA scene, and a tv taping of some sort is on almost everyone's list. Although it won't be "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" or "The Tonight Show," it would still be a big enough thrill as WWTBAM originally was when it first opened.

-Mr. Fusion

cstephens
09-02-2003, 02:01 PM
While I can see how the idea would be appealing in theory, it doesn't really work on a practical level. A single soundstage far away from everything else isn't really going to work. In addition to other considerations, it would be missing a lot of what's readily available on a studio lot: laborers, lighting and other tech people, and many other people that are needed to make a shoot work. Plus, since most of the people are union workers, DCA would probably be considered location work since it's not at a studio, so they'd have to be paid higher rates, or there would have to be something negotiated into the next union contracts. Really not worth all that.