PDA

View Full Version : The Good About DCA? No bad comments here!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

disneygalforlife
09-01-2003, 05:37 PM
The last time that I was at Disneyland was 1999 and I was only able to see the construction going on and the artist's renderings of what was supposed to be. Now that we are planning a 7 day trip in October and I can not wait, I have started reading all of the books and threads in order to get a skinny of what is going on at the Happiest Place On Earth.

I must say that I am dissappointed by the lack of positive things that are being said about DCA. All of the books that I have read seem like they are just including DCA in their book becuase it is a package deal with Disneyland. The things that I am hearing form the true experts ( the "normal" people who actually attend the park) the consensus is that the park is dismal and is often spoken of with scarsam and disdain.

I would be liying if I told you that all of this negativity has not dampened my mood. I still can not wait to go, do not get me wrong, but I am not looking forward to it as much as I was three months ago.

My question to the readers of this thread is this. Please tell me that postive things about the park. No statements about what could or should have been, no I like this "but" . . . I just want to know what everyone things is good about the park . . .please there has to be something because in most of my readings I can not find it.

zapppop
09-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Plenty of booze
Short wait times for all 11 rides
Great view of Disneyland's fireworks ( from certain areas )
Disneyland's Main Street Electrical Parade
Beautiful View of Anaheim
Spacious (empty) walkways
Wonderful recreations of WDW attractions (MuppetVision)(TTBAB)(TOT)
Good Restaurants

:)

HBTiggerFan
09-01-2003, 06:04 PM
The good:

Good food (much better IMHO then DL)
Sorin over CA
GRR
CA Screamin
PP at is really pretty at night
The atmosphere around GRR and the GCH (when there aren't 2 tons of people in those areas)

millionairegirl
09-01-2003, 06:05 PM
The Who Wants to be a Millionaire?: Play it! attraction is my favorite attraction in the entire resort. It's extremely addictive!

The Animation building is a wonderful tribute to Walt and the movies that made the resort possible.

Soarin over California and Grizzly River Run are two first class attractions. I love them.

It's Tough to be a Bug! is great! It still surprises me today.

The entire park has a very adult feel that I simply adore. I love sitting in the entrance plaza and listening to 'I love LA' and 'Hollywood Nights'. Sipping a beer in the Pacific Wharf area is great. I also recommend taking a wine tasting class.

The Paradise Pier area is extremely fun, especially at night.

The food at DCA is far better than the food at DL.

Just take it all in objectively, and see how you feel about the park. Don't let the critics spoil your fun!

CarlieB
09-01-2003, 06:16 PM
Things I like at DCA...

Soarin'
GRR
The area around GRR and the Grand Californian
Muppets is fun
Good food

I'm hoping to check out a lot more at DCA next time I'm there: the winery area, the Bugs Life area (wasn't there when I was last there), and just generally wander around a bit more
:)

Captain Josh
09-01-2003, 06:24 PM
All my opinions have been previously stated, it seems. At the risk of sounding redundant...

The walkways are very open, wide, free to roam, with no hinderances....it's like being in the Disney Gallery Courtyard, the whole time you're there.

The food is MUCH better, and the variety is more....uh, varied. The E-tickets are really, really good. (although, I'd never get dragged on those PP rides....no way )

All in all, I just feel that the entire place is more relaxing than Disneyland, which as magical as it may be, is not a great place to be when you need to think, reflect, be by yourself...sometimes you need a breather, and that's DCA.

disNeytEen
09-01-2003, 06:24 PM
Soarin' by far is the best ride from the smells to the feeling of flying, and also the fact that you wont be scared out of your begibies!

Also the lands and how the atmosphere is in DCA, In DL its nice but way to many peoplel, In DCA you can relax and just enjoy being there. Especially San Fransico Bay area its so nice and peaceful with a attraction besides tours it will be a nice place. In DCA you don't have to watch were your going but rather look at the buildings and the structures and just love it

DCA ALL THE WAY

MammaSilva
09-01-2003, 06:25 PM
* Soaring over California... no matter how often we ride. I 'spy' something new each time... and LOVE every moment.

*Animation Building.....amazing

*GRR.. good wet fun

*ITTBAB.....fun special effects

*Muppets....always a fav!

Burrbank Ice cream...YUMMMMMMM

disNeytEen
09-01-2003, 06:28 PM
I love the ending on GRR where it spins you down the hill!

Love it

wenderella
09-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Good things at DCA...

Soarin over California
Aladdin - (we sat on the front row and the kids LOVED IT!)
Playhouse Disney - Makes you feel like a kid!
Muppet Vision 3-D - Walk right in and so funny.
It's tough to be a Bug - Same...always surprising.
Tortilla Factory - Yum!

Otherwise, lots of rides for older and taller guests. Bugs Life rides...BORING...Slloooowwww Mmmoootttioonn!

Have a GREAT trip!

disNeytEen
09-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by wenderella
Bugs Life rides...BORING...Slloooowwww Mmmoootttioonn!

Have a GREAT trip!

Hey no bad things! I mean Bugs life the show is good

Lashbear
09-01-2003, 06:44 PM
I like California Screamin - smooth, wonderful airtime, great launch, pretty in a classical style.

Soaring - I was blown away by this - there is NOTHING in Australia to compare at all !

I love the look of PP - we never had the old amusement piers in Sydney, and it is Magical at night !

The PP Soundtrack - how wonderful to broadcast a carousel Orchestrion/Calliope

The Sun Wheel - I had read about COney Island's "Wonder Wheel" for YEARS and always wanted to find out what it was like to ride !

Golden Dreams - I cried :crying: :rolleyes: - I'm so easily manipulated emotionally !

The Electric Light Parade - again a wonderful thing I spent my whole childhood looking forward to seeing - and I went to pieces the minute the music started, let alone the physical parade arriving !

A Bugs Land - beautifully themed - and hugely detailed.

Tough To Be A Bug - The ants got me ! :Eek:

Grizzly Hose-down ;) - Innovative Rapids Fun in a really WET kind of way (even in November... *Brrr*)

Animation Building - a MUST SEE for Disney fans.

Award Wieners - my vote for the Best Pun in a concession name

...and I'm sorry I never got to see Superstar Limo :crying:

--I'm sure there's something I've forgotten too...

Cheers,
Rob :fez:

MonorailMan
09-01-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Lashbear
Award Wieners - my vote for the Best Pun in a concession name

And the "Best Weiner in a Supporting Roll" :D

Lashbear
09-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
And the "Best Weiner in a Supporting Roll" :D
Hehehehehe :D

...and I remember what I forgot - I LOVE LOVE LOVE Corn Dogs from the Corn Dog Castle !!

Rallymonkey23
09-01-2003, 08:46 PM
I think most of the good things have been listed so far.

But there are a couple of things that nobody has mentioned.

On your birthday, you get a whole bag of tortillias, instead of just one.

Again, On your birthday you can get a free cookie in the Wharf area.

:D

Zina
09-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Oh man dose it ever irk me when posters/reviewers say that DCA is not as good as DL. I am fairly new to the whole Disney parks scene, so this is an open minded one speaking here-nothing to compare to eother, right? I have been to dlr twice in the last year...however, my family and I LOVED DCA!!! And I have a 4 year old. He thought it was great too. There is so much room, you dont feel cramped or scared you'll be trampled by other guests. Also, every land has lots to do for children, why does everyone say this park is for grown-ups? We spent most of our time at this park and saw maybe a 1/3 of DL due to overcrowding and refurbs. Here were some of our fav's:

Soarin' over Ca.
GRR
redwood creek challenge
ss rustworthy
jumping jellyfish
My hubby loved the scarey roller coaster and the BIG drop ride-I am way too much of a wuss to even consider!!!
carousel
bugs land rides were great for our son!-bug show BAD!
all of hollywood except muppets show as my son got really scared at the tough to be a bug show-no more 3-d for us!

There was lots to do. Aladdin was amazing so we saw it twice. I cant wait to get back and see playhouse disney. Dont let anyone dampen your spirits-DCA ROCKS!!!

disney_leonard
09-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Pretty much like everybody else-

Soarin is great!
Who Wants to be a millionaire play it- just like the TV show but you're playing along in the studio!
Muppets 3D is still fun

I'm also a sucker for Golden Dreams- yes, it's a sappy movie about how great California was- er, I mean IS... but I like it everytime!

The Electrical Parade is great, food is very good, etc. The parks walkways are extra wide because they built it using the experience from DLR.

Go and keep an open mind.

disneygeek87
09-01-2003, 09:38 PM
I think some things about DCA are just great! I've only been 3 times, but I have enjoyed all 3 times I've been. Soarin and GRR are wonderful, along with California Screamin. They have great shows at DCA and the food there is delicious! I enjoy visiting DCA when I go to the resort. It is a great place to go for a day of fun with your loved ones or friends.

luvmickey
09-01-2003, 10:12 PM
From someone who enjoys DCA...

**Aladdin - a great show indeed; I enjoy the show every time I am there.
**Burrbank Ice Cream - yummy, especially when it is in a waffle cone/cup.
**Taste Pilot - try the ribs
**Soarin' Over California
**California Screamin'
**Mulholland Madness - it's a fun ride, very unexpected when I first rode it.
**The Animation Building - it is very enjoyable to just sit in the lounge area and watch those short films of some of the Disney movies, listening to the music.

Oh, and the best part, plenty of room to walk, even on a crowded day.

TP2000
09-02-2003, 12:04 AM
What I like about DCA:

-The Electrical Parade
-The alcoholic drinks
-Soarin' Over California

That about does it for me, I can't think of anything else.

Guest_Control
09-02-2003, 12:29 AM
There are plenty of great things about DCA, I also don't understand why people don't like it.

Mission Tortilla Factory - Freshly made tortillas are delicious; and I'm addicted to them.
It's Tough To Be a Bug - A lot of fun for kid's and adults, the best 3D movie in any park, ever.
Paradise Pier - The rides are fun, the place looks magical at night.
The Sun Wheel - It is such a great idea; me and my friends love going on it at both night and day. Both are much different experiences, with a great view.
Muppetvision - The show is good, but the pre-show is the best I have ever seen for an attraction.
So much space in the walkways that you nevr have to worry about strollers ;)
The Animation Pavillion - Excellent. Each exhibit should be considered an individual attraction.
[*The Electrical Parade - I don't care if it started on Main Street or not, this parade rocks DCA.

merlinjones
09-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Good things about DCA:

1) It makes Disneyland look even better by comparison
2) Reminds one of the brilliance of Walt Disney and his artists and Imagineers of the 50's-70's.
3) Makes one fully appreciate the art direction and cinematic layout of Disneyland
4) Makes one appreciate the brilliance of Islands of Adventure
5) Makes one thankful for the Oriental Land Company
6) Makes one thankful that the GAP had a job opening for Paul Pressler
7) Animation lobby featuriung the art of Walt Disney's Studio of the 30's-70's
8) One Man's Dream
9) Soarin' Over CA

jrad32
09-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Merlin has said it better than I ever could. I agree with him.

Here's one more. Makes you appreciate the immersive feel of DL, where you see trees and magical lands instead of convention centers.

dsnylndmom
09-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Again I'll sound redundant but I had to add my DCA likes!! ;)

Electrical Parade~a favorite from childhood I still get chills.

Soarin'~just a great ride and so different

Screamin'~I just love this roller coaster! Plus it was the first coaster my son went "upside down" on I can still remember riding with him while he's yelling "I DID IT" going through the loop.

GRR~I love this, it's my favorite "raft ride"

The Redwood Challenge thingy~I love to watch my boys "rock climb" and run and explore and laugh over there!

Animation Building~a Hidden Treasure

Aladdin~I like this show every single time I see(and yes I tear up)

Tough to be a Bug~By far my favorite 3D movie/attraction

Playhouse Disney~Such a cute show and my 4 year old LOVES it!

Ariel's Grotto~I love sitting out on the water, relaxing watching the kids play with the characters eating my Cobb salad and onion soup

Cove Bar~A new discovery!;) Thanks Darkbeer and a nice spot to sit and have a drink.

I love the way the Pier looks at night.

I love riding Hemlich's chew chew train with my 4 year old, everytime we ride it he cracks up when Hemlich burps

I love standing under the misting thing by Soarin' with my kids!

And I can't wait for TOT to open!

dshimel
09-02-2003, 01:11 PM
DCA is a great 2 hour break from the crowds of Disneyland.

I love Soarin' and Annimation. Aladdin was great.

Tough to be a Bug is cute. Muppets is good every once in a while.

Screamin' is...
Screamin' is...
Screamin' is...
Hmmm. Wrote three separate sentances and while all were complimentary on the surface, they seemed like backhanded slaps. I enjoy riding it. To say more would be seen as negative. Add Boomer to the list of rides that I ride, but can't talk about honestly without it seeming negative.