PDA

View Full Version : 40th Anniversary of the Enchanted Tiki Room

Gemini Cricket
09-01-2003, 02:48 PM
Outside of a $350 limited edition serigraph from Shag (http://www.shag.com/tikiroom.html), does anyone know if Disneyland is planning anything for the 40th Anniversary of the Enchanted Tiki Room on Sept 20th, 2003?

I haven't heard of anything...

And... the last time I saw the Tiki Room, the roof looked like it was falling off and a couple of the indoor tikis' speakers were blown. So, I'm thinking 'no'.

Lani
09-01-2003, 03:34 PM
I don't know, GC. But both Alex and I really like his style of art, so we're considering picking up his posters and stuff. Aren't they just wunnerful?

innerSpaceman
09-01-2003, 05:18 PM
I hear they're going to celebrate by cutting two more numbers from the performance.

zapppop
09-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Lani
I don't know, GC. But both Alex and I really like his style of art, so we're considering picking up his posters and stuff. Aren't they just wunnerful?
They'd be alot more " wunnerful " if some money was spent repairing the attraction. Frankly, I couldnt' give an Eisner about these posters.

[Disneyland Resort Rep Voice] It is with deep regret that we inform you there is no money in our budget to repair this attraction but feel free to purchase one or all of these wunnerful posters commemorating the 40th ( and final ) anniversary of Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. [/Disneyland Resort Rep Voice]

:rolleyes:

I plan to celebrate the day by complaining in person @ city call about the current state of the Tiki Room.

FIX THE TIKI ROOM.

CaliforniaCrazy
09-01-2003, 07:15 PM
Shag is a very cool artist. He designed the cover of Smashmouth's new album, "Get the Picture?" In fact the woman with the long eyelashes and the purple hair looks amazingly like the women in the inside cover of the album. I am in agreement that the Tiki Room does need to be fixed up and restored to its former glory.

MintJulep
09-01-2003, 07:23 PM
tiki's 40th was actually two months ago on june 23rd, not on sept 20th, that's just when the merchandise is being released.

perhaps some of you should actually visit the tiki room, where you would see that the tiki room has actually recieved a lot of attention in the last year. the four MC's(jose, michael, pierre, fritz) were replaced earlier this year. also imagineering restored the house lighting to it's original state; it used to be that for house lights, the cast member would manually turn the work lights on and off, but imagineering was able to utilize the recessed lighting in the alcoves, which is now controlled by an automatic dimmer system.

the tiki room actually looks great on the inside. you should visit.

Captain Josh
09-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by MintJulep
.the tiki room actually looks great on the inside. you should visit.

A-Ha!!! I thought I just had low standards when I last visited the Tiki Room. After hearing everyone's disheartened woes that the Tiki Room was in disrepair, I'd thought that the show itself seems pretty sparklingly maintained when I saw it. *phew*

zapppop
09-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by MintJulep
the tiki room actually looks great on the inside.

... cut to the year 2003 ....

The Tiki Room looks just as bad inside as it does outside. There are many totem polls that are broken; their eyes and mouths either don't move or they're ridiculously out of synch. Some of the birds and flowers are also not functioning properly, and look dirty.

I wonder what TDA does with the money they receive from Doll Pineapple ?
It sure doesn't go towards repairs.

Sophie832
09-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Ok, I cannot let someone go on in life actually thinking the Tiki Room looks good on the inside!!! Here's why:

For a few years now, I've sat in the same spot every time I visit the Tiki Room...this would be on the benches in the back, directly to the right when you come in the entrance. There are two very noticable problems in my line of sight that have yet to be fixed over these past years.

First, the totem pole to my right has very few working eyes. Actually, the mouths barely move, either. On a couple of the eyes, the paint has chipped off to the point where it doesn't even look like an eye any more. I see people look at the totem pole when the sound comes out, and wonder what they're supposed to be looking at. I've noticed some similar problems with the other totem poles when I pass by.

Second, the tiki god directly across from me, that is flanked by two drummers, has one eye that's not lit. So, one eye lights up and the other one doesn't. It just looks weird.

I'm sure those aren't the only two problems that could be fixed inside the Tiki Room, and to let it go for so many years is really sad. Other, older attractions undergo renovations every year. Shame on Disney for forgetting a true classic!

Nathan Tikiguy
09-02-2003, 12:15 AM
The part of the room across from the entrance (next to the exit) has the loudest tiki's. I dig it but I always see folks plugging their ears when the tiki's chant!

Yes, the room is starting to look real shabby, especially after a long summer.

Looking forward to the Shag tiki stuff of course.

Mr. Fusion
09-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Another problem I've constantly seen is wires sticking out from under the center birds (above the fountain). It doesn't stick out too much, but once you see the problem, it just glares right back at you.

-Mr. Fusion

RStar
09-03-2003, 08:57 AM
The last time I was in Tiki was about 2 months ago, and the totems didn't work for the most part. The tall peak of the roofline over the Dole counter blew off in a rainstorm years ago and has never been replaced, and the thatch in the whole park is sad (I hope they buy a trainload all at once for a better price;) ).

And I thought shag was a rap star?:rolleyes:

Nathan Tikiguy
09-04-2003, 12:02 AM
I asked an always helpful cast member at the Disneyana store about "One Enchanted Evening" and I got a few details.

The merchandise release is on Saturday Sept 20th as we already know. Shag will be there from 10 am to 1 pm to sign stuff. There will be four original paintings for sale as well as the limited print being offered. The cast member did not have much else except that there has been a big reponse from all corners (Disney collectors, Enchanted Tiki Room fans, Shag fans and Tiki culture freaks). Any other details on the other merch (tiki mugs and hopefully an aloha shirt) could pop up on Shag's website.

I heard there might be a music CD, but that might be in reference to the return of the 'burn your CD' kiosks that might be coming back.

That might be it. And, I am suprised the Park is doing this much in regards to 'celebrating' the 40th anniversary of the Enchanted Tiki Room.

The host at the Tiki Room today mentioned the Room had it's anniversary recently. She asked if anyone knew what year the Enchanted Tiki Room Opened. Nobody got it right. I spoke up too late and she couldn't hear me. She replied by saying "I think it was 1967 or something" before waking up Jose.