PDA

View Full Version : Help with Grand Californian Hotel room options.

wenderella
08-31-2003, 02:59 PM
I need expert Disneyland advice. My Ex-husband and I are taking our two kids (7 and 5 years old) to Disneyland in early October. Although I have been taking them about every 6 months for the last two years, this will be our first trip together with dad. I have booked a room at a Good Neighbor Hotel on Harbor but the more I think about it I think I'd like to upgrade and stay at the Grand Californian Hotel since this is kind of a special trip. I am new to this hotel and do not know what to expect or ask for when I am talking to my travel agent. Do I want concierge level? And what kind of "extras" come with concierge? I have heard people talk about VP's on other posts and wonder if this is of any benefit? What kind of things do they do? The biggest question of all is...is it worth it? We are counting down the days to this trip. I have turned my kids into Disneyland fanatics and they can't wait to show their dad "the ropes". Any advice would help. Thanks!

dgdisney
08-31-2003, 03:38 PM
How fun! We finally got my husband to come with us for my 40th and stayed at GCH concierge level - my children were 7 and 3 at the time. We would definitely stay at GCH again but instead of concierge level I think we would make sure we got a great park view. The concierge was handy at breakfast time but the offerings were the usual cold things that you could have already put in a little refrigerator that they will happily put in your room when you arrive. The other offerings were a few snacks and bottled water - and cookies and milk at night during a story time that you could also attend downstairs near the fireplace. Didn't quite add up to $100 for my family.

For the extra $100 a day I would upgrade my view and use the Vacation Planners more. We had them leave the girls mouse ears and autograph books the first day but I think we would arrange for a few evening treats.

I wrote a trip report about our hotel experience - sorry for not figuring out how to link it here - it was this past May.

However, as with everything Disney, no matter what you decide you will have a fabulous time!!

Enjoy!

Dana Greenberg

wenderella
08-31-2003, 07:34 PM
Would the Disneyland Hotel be a better option? It's been 13 years since I've stayed there and I know how much it's changed.

dgdisney
09-01-2003, 06:24 AM
I haven't stayed at the DH but people who post on this board rave about it. We loved GCH because it was so beautiful and it was so close to the parks. Some will tell you that it is not the total Disney immersion experience that they seek and that may be true but I enjoy a lovely hotel and I think the GCH lobby says it all!

I think concierge may be the same at both hotels - which is to say that it is not as "pampering" as its cousin at WDW.

My husband really enjoyed the GHC (he did not think the concierge was worth it though). Given that he is not a huge Disney fan I think he appreciated that the GCH was not a total Disney immersion. I'm not sure if that is a factor for your family but if it is you might consider the "Disney break" feature of the hotel.

Good luck!

Dana

tjrj
09-01-2003, 07:42 AM
The immersion effect is definitely something to think about. To get that effect I really prefer the DLH. The Neverland pool area is completely wonderful-and during October you should still have enough warm weather to make use of it. Another thing to think about is room size. The rooms at the DHL-Sierra Tower and Bonita tower-are bigger with more sunlight-and more storage room. The rooms at the GCH are smaller and darker. And absolutely-the lobby at the GCH is awe-inspiring-but you don't have to stay there to enjoy it. However-the bathrooms at the GCH are terrific! Large with great spa-inspired toiletries.

I think there are + and - to each hotel and one must weigh what is the most important to you.

miss bianca
09-01-2003, 08:10 AM
Something to think about:
If your X husband is not a big Disneyland fan than I would suggest the Grand over DL Hotel. Last year we dragged my brother-in-law to DL, this is the man that swore that he would never visit DL again until they had children ("its too crowded, there's no thrill rides, its for little kids"). Well my Sister knows her hubbie well and booked us all at The Grand. My B-in-law was shocked at how close it was to DCA and DL, and just loved the access to DTD. We thought the Hotel was just fantastic and by the second day was asking me how he could upgrade his ticket to an Annual Pass. Its now been about 11 months and he will be going for his 3rd time (we live in Northern California)! The Grand was the deciding factor for him.

try this link for some more Grand info
http://laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-39707-P-1&Refresh=0829085807

wenderella
09-01-2003, 08:19 AM
THANKS so much for the information! It's great to hear about your experiences. THANKS!:)

MickeyandMe
09-01-2003, 10:11 AM
I have stayed concierge at Disneyland Hotel and non-concierge at Grand Californian and I can say they are both great experiences. I loved the concierge at the Disneyland Hotel (and the Grand Californian should be similar) and really enjoyed the great breakfast and the sodas, waters and cookies throughout the day. It was nice to have a place to get breakfast quickly in the morning before heading into the parks. However, I did get it on a deal both times, and don't know if I could justify spending the extra $100 per night (unless money is not an issue for you, in which case I would say go for it!).

As for the hotels, I think you would be thrilled with both. My husband (who is not the Disney fan I am, but grudgingly goes often with me and has learned to appreciate Disneyland) enjoys both the resorts and definitely appreciates them much more than the regular hotels on Harbor. I do love the subtle Disney theming at the Disneyland Hotel and all the shops and the grounds to walk around, but the Grand Californian is amazing! True, you can appreciate much of it's beauty from the lobby as a guest, but staying there is truly special. We went in January with my 4-year-old and 1-year-old boys, and even my 4-year-old wants to go back to that particular hotel. We had a room with 1 King bed and bunk beds - which my son loved! I didn't feel the room was cramped - we had plenty of room. And I really enjoyed the balcony (most Disneyland Hotel rooms only have a balcony about 4 inches wide, not big enough to stand on), which had a table and chairs overlooking Downtown Disney (we were right above the middle of the World of Disney store). I would go out there at night with my flashlight and read while my kids were trying to calm down and sleep inside. I could hear the Disney music and see the people walking by - it was great! Plus, the location can't be beat.

I hope that helps! I would be happy to answer more specific questions if you have them.

mom_rules
09-02-2003, 01:49 PM
We are staying st GCH in early October-concierge and have asked for pool/theme park room. Did we make a good choice? We wanted to be near the lounge and central to the hotel amenities.

julia
09-02-2003, 01:59 PM
Hi,

I think that you might really, really enjoy the Disneyland Hotel. The Grand Californian Hotel is absolutely spectacular, but the Disneyland Hotel is really for the kids! They finished a multi-million dollar remodel last year and it is fantastic. My favorite part of the remodel is the wallpaper border with Tinkerbell sprinkling pixiedust around your room and it glows in the dark after the lights are turned out each evening...how cute!

I don't know what it is, but the Disneyland Hotel just seems made for the ultimate Disneyland kid experience with the pixie dust in the rooms, the Neverland pool, Goofy's Kitchen with all of the characters downstairs. It would be a GREAT way to get Dad into the Disney mood, too. I love the Disney hotels because you can all sneak away for a nap or a swim and you are in the Disney magic 24/7. The Grand Californian just seems like it is more for the adults and Disneyland Hotel is more for the kids.

The concierge-level rooms are a treat, certainly, but it is worth the extra cost. Included in the price is a deluxe daily continental breakfast, snacks and beverages, a private lounge and your own personalized concierge desk and service.

Be sure to ask your travel agent for the 4th night free!

Have a magical day!

mom_rules
09-02-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks, I did get my 4th night free option (we'll actually be there 9 days). My kids are both in late teens-so we are all considered adults. We chose GCH to be "close to the action".