PDA

View Full Version : DCA Central ToT Article

LIMANDL4EVA
08-30-2003, 03:57 PM
In an article about ToT at DCACentral.com, they discuss and interesting point regarding the (maybe not afterall) 'missing' 5th dimension room.

The majority of the time, if Tower of Terror breaks down, it’s because the safety computer system loses contact with the carriage, which causes an “e-stop” or emergency stop. So Imagineering decided to go with three drop shafts, no lateral movement, and replace the “Fifth Dimension” scene with a different scene.There has been no official information about the replacement scene, but the rumor is that Disney is using a modified CAVE (Cave Automatic Virtual Environment) scene to create the show effect. The new scene will be a computer-generated version of the “Fifth Dimension”.

I know that this has been discussed before, but I am intrigued to understand the whole 'computer-generated version of the “Fifth Dimension"' Does anyone know more? Lost Boy?

The Article can be found here (http://www.dcacentral.com/dca/california_adventure/hollywood_backlot/tower_of_terror.asp)

MonorailMan
08-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Well, this does confirm Lost Boy's CAVE source.

I'm still excited that we are getting TOT in any form.... :D

FYI: The CAVE system if from NSCA, and sounds really cool:

The CAVE provides true stereoscopic imagery through the use of four rear-projected screens using an active stereo system. Electrohome CRT projectors are used for the imagery and are bounced off of mylar mirrors so that the CAVE will fit within the constrained space of the room (the projectors require a ten-foot throw distance). Infrared Crystal Eyes active stereo LCD shutter glasses are used in conjunction with the projectors to provide true stereo at an ideal rate of sixty frames per second (thirty frames per second for each eye), however, this frame rate varies greatly with each individual application.

Full Website Here: http://cave.ncsa.uiuc.edu

wonderful
08-30-2003, 07:53 PM
I've heard the same scenario (the CAVE scenario, that is) and found it encouraging. I think it would be wise to examine the detail being laid into the exterior look of the attraction and have a little bit of faith that DCA's TOT will be a great attraction... most "second versions" are superior to the prototype as far as the major attractions go.

MonorailMan
08-30-2003, 07:58 PM
I'm wondering if the Lateral movement will be simulated by the CAVE system....:confused:

Captain Josh
08-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I'm wondering if the Lateral movement will be simulated by the CAVE system....:confused:

you mean like the telescoping chamber effect on Indy?

Lost Boy
08-30-2003, 08:43 PM
I haven't heard a word lately about this, but I have heard that there will be a backward movement at the very beginning of the ride to get you from the drop shaft/load area into the lift shaft area. Other than that, I am just as much in the dark as others right now.

I can add that the last time I rode the TOT in Florida, the ride did break down when we were in the 5th dimension. It was very long and scary as everything in the tower went dark. There was light coming in from somewhere below us and above us, but no warning messages were given for about 5 minutes, We just sat there high above the floors below, and the kids on board were getting bery scared. It was silence like I've never heard. Then a young man (obviously a trainee) came over the loudspeaker system telling us all to reain in our cars and not move. Then silence for another 4 or 5 minutes. Then, way below us we could hear a motor reving over, coughing and stoping. Then about 3 minutes later, the motor started up (very noisy too) and then the Tower came to life again. All the attraction special effects where back on, the show sound was back on and when we got to the drop shaft, they dropped us about 10 times (I gues to make up for the long delay in getting there). It was actually one of the better moments. I am glad they did not evacuate us, as I have the blueprints for all 15 floors evac routes, and from where we were, I was not looking forward to a 10 story stairway, through very narrow shafts, I don't do well on steep stairs due to a balance problem. But all said and done, it was a cool experience.

Tref
08-30-2003, 10:01 PM
It sounds promising ...

LIMANDL4EVA
08-30-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by wonderful
... most "second versions" are superior to the prototype as far as the major attractions go.
With the exception of Pooh.

Originally posted by MonorailMan
Thats what I am thinking, sort of like the effect of backing up on Indy.

SimpTwister
08-30-2003, 11:55 PM
I doubt that CAVE technology will be used in ToT for one simple reason...

The required LCD shutter glasses.

Would they really make you wear 'active' 3D glasses, somewhat bulkier than the 'passive' glasses used on ITTBAB etc., for the entire ride? I doubt it.

And the active 3D system seems to be at the core of the whole CAVE concept. There would appear to be no point in using a CAVE system without the glasses.

Interestingly, at the CAVE site linked above, it claims that the LCD shutter glasses cost 'around one thousand dollars each'.

That's strange, I had a similar pair for my Sega Master System (yes, back in the day) that cost around $50. I have another pair right now that came with my GeForce 2 graphics card, which I bought last year for something like $200, glasses included.

:confused:

jsuperk
08-31-2003, 06:00 AM
How many tower of terrors are there. As far as I know this will be the second one built . If this is anything like florida's it will be a hit instead of a miss like dca. :fez: :fez: :fez: