PDA

View Full Version : Grad Nite

sfjgarcia
05-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Hi, I am a chaperone for Grad Nite June 6. Can anyone share their experience and what to expect for kids and adults?

Tan Da Man
05-30-2013, 08:23 AM
I cant speak as a chaperone..but I have worked as a CM during past Grad Nites...

It is not the typical "Disney" experience.. It is packed with the teenagers, and there are several dance parties set up around the park. The CM's don't really take any crap from people on Grad Nites. We were basically trained to be nice, but if anyone gets out of line to take care of it immediately. If normally the guest is always right at Disneyland, on Grad Nites the CM is always right.

As for the kids...I don't want to speak in absolutes, because there were a lot of kids there that were well mannered and just had a good time, but there will of course be those kids that want to act out. I worked two Grad Nites...one night a group of kids got drunk and puked in some bushes over by Space Mountain, and another couple was caught doin the dirty in a restroom. The other night, during one of the dance partys in Fantasyland a kid got naked and ran around grabbing CM's.

sfjgarcia
05-30-2013, 08:59 AM
:eyeroll: Thanks for the inside scoop. I have a small but good group of kids, and I am worried not so much of them but their surroundings. Thanks for the information. I don't want to play policewomen, but I do need to be on my toes.

Nikara
05-30-2013, 05:49 PM
As someone who attended Grad Night a while back (2005), I can report that it seems to change a lot depending on which night you go. My high school graduated in mid-June, which was around the same time as many other public high schools in Los Angeles. Grad Night was completely packed. I've heard (maybe others can verify) that nights earlier in the "season" can be less crazy, as it is mainly smaller school groups. The security is intense compared to a normal day at Disney (metal detectors and pat downs), and it was super crowded for us. I remember waiting a ridiculously long time for Indiana Jones, and that was the first time I had ever gone up to the second level at the Jungle Cruise. My friends and I, all nerds and not troublemakers, had a good time, but it definitely wasn't one of my favorite Disney experiences. Too many people, with too long lines. I also distinctly remember that the overflow line room for Star Tours, which I don't think was in use at the time, was transformed into a "lounge" with sofas where everyone was napping. Also, we had to walk from the parking lot for the buses to the park, (which I gladly do now, but had never done at the time). I know they have changed around the program a ton since them, but I suspect that the huge crowds haven't changed that much...