PDA

View Full Version : Mickey and the Magical Map (new show in Fantasyland Theatre) - with tagged spoilers

cstephens
05-26-2013, 11:06 PM
I figured I'd start a thread on this since more people will be seeing the show, now that it has opened. We saw the last show today (Sunday). Generally, I liked the show, but part of that is that I'm excited to have live performers in a show in that theatre again. I'll admit I have no idea what the story is supposed to be, though I get it's really just a device to get the various songs into the show. The show reminded me a lot of Animazement (for those who remember that), with a bit of Philharmagic and the Muppet 3D show thrown in. I managed to get into the meet-up on Friday, so I'm interested in seeing what that'll be like, especially if we can ask questions/provide feedback.

One spoiler bit here:

In the Lilo and Stitch segment, we felt that it really needed a character on stage, not just the dancers. A friend pointed out that it could just be Lilo, since Stitch is somewhat represented on screen.

There was one mixed segment I rather liked:

I liked having Pocahontas, Mulan and Rapunzel/Flynn doing their separate songs in succession.

We saw in one of the side sections, which works for the most part, as least with the dancers and performers, though some of the visual staging is a bit off.

It's not a show I'll be racing to see every visit, but I expect we'll go on a regular basis.

carolinakid
05-27-2013, 05:06 AM
I look forward to seeing this when we go in October.

Malcon10t
05-27-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing it next trip.

cstephens - Do you think kids will enjoy?

mrsdisney68
05-27-2013, 06:50 AM
I really missed having a stage show so I'm looking forward to seeing it in July!!!

MammaSilva
05-27-2013, 07:01 AM
I'm excited to see a show back in the theater as well. As long as there is a lot of music Missy will enjoy it.

cstephens
05-27-2013, 08:14 AM
cstephens - Do you think kids will enjoy?

Yes, I do. They probably won't understand the surrounding "story" either, but I think they care even less about that. There are lots of bright colors on stage at times, and some of the dancers sometimes come off the stage. I know some people don't care for the concept of a "revue" that's a mix of different movies/songs, and I can understand that viewpoint, but I think the mixed shows might have a better chance of playing to the audience. If you have a one-story show, and you're not interested in that particular story, you might not want to see the show. When there are songs from different shows, you have a better chance to having something that appeals to everyone.

DesertWorshipGuy
05-27-2013, 08:45 AM
I also saw this on Friday during the AP preview. I personally really liked the show. I do agree that the story isn't necessarily as clear as lot of Disney shows, but it's still a really fun show. There are some really cool effects during the show (I won't give them away here) and also a lot of colors and great music with various recognizable Disney characters.

After the show, I was talking to a lady who said that she liked it and said it was like a static parade. I really liked this comparison. Each segment of the show was like a different parade float. And just like Disney parades have a story line/theme (all be it a very loose story line/theme), this show is the same way. I will definitely catch this show on future trips. There's a lot happening during the show and it will probably take a couple of times for me to get all the details. Very excited that the theater is once again being used for a live show (as many have said in the past)

Kids and kids at heart will like this show. Good job Disney!

ManaByte
05-27-2013, 02:20 PM
I really agree with your first spoiler. That bugged me a lot actually.

tinker3
06-01-2013, 01:27 PM
I really agree with your first spoiler. That bugged me a lot actually.

Agreed! We really enjoyed the show a lot! Like others, its so nice to have a show back in the theater. I hope this isn't a spoiler but besides the lilo thing i also wish there were more costume changes for the dancers, even simple ones would have been nice. I just thought the dancers looked out of place in a few scenes. Overall a really good show, one I will watch again. :)