PDA

View Full Version : People Mover SuperSpeed Tunnel

dcadon
09-02-2001, 08:37 PM
Where abouts on the old rocket rod/peoplemover track was the Tron tunnel located. I remember it as a big room unto itself but don't recall entering a big room on the rocket rods.
Where was the superspeed tunnel at?
-Don

9oldmen
09-02-2001, 08:47 PM
That's easy. It was where the now vacant track goes through Innoventions. When the Peoplemover vehicles passed over the Mission To Mars entrance, you heard a voice saying "Warning, you have invaded the electonic realm of the Master Control Program. Prepare for the game grid of Tron." Upon leaving the building, about where the skyway station once was, the voice said,"You have escaped Tron's game grid for now, users but, take heed, next time, you may not fare so well." And yes, the Tron tunnel did co-exist with America Sings below. I think the tunnel was roughly where you saw the model of Progress City in the finale of Carousell of Progress. Specific enough? Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

Nigel2
09-03-2001, 01:34 PM
Oh god its been so long since I have been on that, for some reason I seem to also rember when you enter the last tunnel (right after the monorail, where you enter the CircleVision Theater) the walls would have movies projected on them, which seemed really loud. Could someone help me, or atleast give me my pills.

Thomas
09-04-2001, 09:23 AM
Could they please just bring back the PeopleMover and the Tron area. Tomorrowland would be great again.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-04-2001, 09:41 AM
Uh, no, not in the CircleVision building, just in the Carousel Theatre building. The view in the CircleVision building was just a bland view of the lobby.

Nigel2
09-04-2001, 11:43 AM
No not that part, the part I am thinking of is right as you enter the building, before you turn to see the lobby. Oh well.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-04-2001, 01:10 PM
I remember some very large backlit transparencies of scenes from America the Beautiful, possibly updated for American Journeys and Wonders of China, but no movies.

Ozymandius
09-04-2001, 02:49 PM
Anybody with knowledge of the people mover system and the resultant changes for Rocket Rods... What changes would be nessesary to bring it back. Could they bring it back without ruining the ride e.g. try to bring it "up to date". Actually I liked the corny "futuristic theme" of the old tommorrowland ; I knew it was out of date, but I liked the innocent and optimistic view of the future we had back then...

Ozy.

P.S. Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it...

Gregmh48
09-04-2001, 03:06 PM
I seem to remember going straight through the Tron segment on the People Mover and not at a slight curve around the building as the Rocket Rods track does today. I also think that the screen was equidistant from the track, if the track was unchanged the screen to the vehicle's right would not fit in the building.

dcadon
09-04-2001, 04:13 PM
Yeah, they must have moved the track or something. Maybe it changed when they built the new queue for space mountain.
Coincidentally, I heard that part of the Mission to Mars attraction still stands back there somewhere. I've even heard that CM's have there lunches in there sometimes. They say it still works too. I don't know if there is any truth to any of this, but, it's what I've heard.

-don

Gregmh48
09-04-2001, 04:26 PM
I would assume that parts of the two rocket cabins are still there simply because they are not used in Redd Rocket's Pizza Port and it would cost more to remove them for space they don't need than just leave them there. Does any one know how Redd Rockett's uses the old Mission to Mars layout? I wasn't alive when I could go on the attraction so I have no idea. For example, where was the queue area and where was mission control?

Nigel2
09-05-2001, 10:09 PM
I believe that they did no path alterations to the peoplemover's track for RRs but if they were going to bring it back they would probably have to redo the cars so they could use the RRs power system since PM used a differnet track style.

Kevin Yee
09-06-2001, 07:26 AM
My poor PeopleMover (sniff, sniff)

I also think there were no track modifications, and yet... the Rods do make some sort of quick whip-around-the-corner movement during the "window to innoventions" section, and the PeopleEater never did that. Neither was the Tron tunnel completely straight though; there was a definite curve to it, especially in the transition from the "entering tron world" movie room to the "light cycle / tank / chase / maze" move room.

You know, if DCA had anything *half* as cool as the CircleVision/PeopleMover one-two punch, I doubt I would ever utter anything negative about the park.

Nigel2
09-06-2001, 12:21 PM
I think the innoventions part had more to do with the fact that the are was possibly altered so they could have a "grage" to work on the cars and take them on and off the track.

Lacrosse Boy
09-06-2001, 12:24 PM
The same technology for the Tron Tunnel was used in other Disney rides. Take Flight, El Rio del Tienpo, and World on Motion to name a few. Unfortunately, most of these have now gone the way of the PeopleMover.

Ozymandius
09-06-2001, 12:36 PM
The main thing that I'm getting from all of this is that even if DL wanted to bring back the People Movers, it might be just as expensive as the cost for putting in RR.

Additionally are there any instances of Disney bringing back an "rider experience" attraction that would set precident for even attempting to start a formal letter-writing/petition to bring that attraction back?

If not there's always a first time. "Bring Back The People Movers to Disneyland Campaign" should be begun in ernest. :)