PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Carribean Smell

Pages : [1] 2

fairytalelover
08-29-2003, 09:39 AM
I have to admit that i love the POTC smell. It has this wierd musty smell, but it's very distinctive of the POTC ride. I'm not the only one, though. My family and friends all love that smell. As soon as we sit it that boat and pass the guy sitting on his porch, we smell that wonderful scent!:D

Duane
08-29-2003, 10:10 AM
I also love the smell on POTC. I believe it comes from the chlorine used in the water along with being underground. I'm almost 40 years old and I still clearly remember the odor in POTC from my first visit as a 4 year old. It's amazing how some things stick in your mind as a child that you always relate to Disneyland. I also like the paint odor which is present inside of the dark rides!

Khiori
08-29-2003, 12:08 PM
lol, I always attributed the unique smell to mildew :)

hefferdude
08-29-2003, 12:57 PM
Yes. And the porch of HM has a particular smell to it too.
Might be the dampness since the trees cut out much of the sun most of the time.

innerSpaceman
08-29-2003, 03:57 PM
I, too, am a big fan of the Pirates scent. In fact, I once filled a bottle with Pirates water so that I could experience aromatic pleasure at home. Alas, it did not work too well.

And alas - I find that, since the last rehab, the Pirates smell is not what is used to be. Guess they gave the caverns a good scrubbing. But it will soon get nice and dank again. Or so I hope.

stinkerbell
08-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Ohhhh, my heart hurts. I need to smell that smell! Darn my financial situation to all heck, I'm heading to DLR in October, no matter what. :D

Thanks for the inspiration. Hopefully by then the musty smell will return for me to enjoy!

Yay! I needed this to get me going on some DLR planning!

Inspiration comes in the oddest of places........

cryan71
08-29-2003, 06:26 PM
Oh, that smell was me. I was a little gassy. Sorry.

flippin_mermaid
08-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Ahhh...my sister and I have always loved that smell also. There have been times far away outside of the park when we'd smell something that smelled very similar and we'd go, "It smells like Pirates of the Carribean here!" and people would look at us like we were crazy. We always thought it was just US who realized the smell. And Haunted Mansion also has a unique smell as well.

ahecht
08-30-2003, 08:27 AM
It's called mildew. My grandparents' basement smells the same way.

disney_leonard
08-31-2003, 02:40 PM
My daughter calls it the Disneyland smell. It oftens sticks to clothing after a few rides. Maybe it's a special DLR mildew cause it smells better than usual mildew!

UncleGDogWord
08-31-2003, 03:27 PM
I believe the smell is created by Disney or part of it and the rest by the nature of the ride. If you walk by one of the air vents you can feel the wet air being blown in.

Well a POTC CM would probally know more.

drjones
09-01-2003, 11:12 PM
i love that smell,and the smell in the matterhorn when your bobsled ascends the first slope....

Haldwitten
09-02-2003, 12:40 AM
Yeah, that Pirates mildew smell is kind of oddly "refreshing." It makes it feel like you're in a real cave! And the Haunted Mansion has begun to smell like an old house. Well, it is in a way... but that smell kind of adds to it.

Now, as for Indiana Jones... one of my friends swears it smells like a dirty sneaker throughout the queue. I have to giggle everytime I walk through there now. Ew. Dirty sneakers!

snakedoctor
09-11-2003, 03:23 PM
My favorite smell from DL has always been the terrific aroma that eminates from the handstamp they give you if you plan to return to the park. It has never changed....and the scent brings back very fond memories.

fairytalelover
09-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by snakedoctor
My favorite smell from DL has always been the terrific aroma that eminates from the handstamp they give you if you plan to return to the park. It has never changed....and the scent brings back very fond memories.

What is that smell? It is kinda lemony, isn't it?

Not Afraid
09-11-2003, 05:15 PM
I have to say that I am not a fan of the PotC smell. I am allergic to mold and mildew and, even though PotC doesn't cause me to react, I still dislike the reminder of what mold and mildew do to me.

BillyHillandRSBFan
09-11-2003, 06:16 PM
I am relectant to admit it but as a teenager I would sniff behind the fridge because the smell reminded me of PoTC.

Morrigoon
09-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Oh I love when this thread comes up! :)

disneyfreak168
09-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
What is that smell? It is kinda lemony, isn't it?

i like that smell!

Brandis
09-12-2003, 12:31 AM
I'm pretty sure that the smell is artifical. During my first visit to Disneyland Paris (Well, EuroDisney at the time) in April 92, that smell was very strong in the queue of Pirates but not in the ride itself. Since the ride was all new then, I don't think that it could develop that smell naturally.

The same is true for the small in the lobby of Phantom Manor. A CM told me that the smell resembles formaldehyd and dust, so it would smell like in an old museum (they used formaldehyd to preserve tissue samples).

Marc

Tref
09-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by BillyHillandRSBFan
I am relectant to admit it but as a teenager I would sniff behind the fridge because the smell reminded me of PoTC.

Heavens to Murgatroid, what an admission! I think MP should sponsor a group field trip to this man's kitchen! I want that smell tagged & confirmed! What say thee? Is it a go? Field trip to this man's kitchen? And maybe, too, as we pass through his house we can take note of other Disney-like smells we may encounter.
"Does this hat tree not smell like the Space Mountain queue?"

But now all this rubbish has got me thinking: could there be the slightest chance that my own refrigerator also smells of PotC? That could never be. Or, could it? Yet, do I dare venture into the kitchen and find out for myself? (Dear Reader, would not you agree that by the very act of sniffing behind said fridge -- I would be symbolically stripping myself of my last vestige of Dignity in this life? I could resist. I am strong willed and a good fighter. But having said so, would curiosity dig its talons so deep into my flesh that I would be too weak to fight? Will I succumb to the inevitable and place my precious olfactory (which until now have only known love) behind my ancient ice box and breathe in the foul symphony of dust, rot and cobwebs? Alas, Dearest Reader and MPer, I will never tell.

I remain,
In life,

fairytalelover
09-12-2003, 10:15 AM
Well yesterday I was at the gym, working out and I smelled this strong POTC smell. I looked around and realized that it was coming from me. My shirt smelled like it. Apparently I had put this shirt in my gym bag, slightly damp and left it there for a few days with the zipper closed and the result was POTC smell!:D

Allison
09-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Oh that smell rules!

especially after attending the park for 43 years. It is truly part of that special Disney feeling. walking in, with the music in the backround, I take a gigantic whiff!

miss bianca
09-12-2003, 01:26 PM
I love this topic !
Okay this is crazy but my Cat's stomach smells like POTC.

My hubby and I always grab him and kiss and smell his tummy!
Okay I'm weird
:geek: :D

sleepyjeff
09-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by miss bianca
I love this topic !
Okay this is crazy but my Cat's stomach smells like POTC.

My hubby and I always grab him and kiss and smell his tummy!
Okay I'm weird
:geek: :D

OMG...........way too much information:eek: