PDA

View Full Version : DCA Scary Farm?

Pages : [1] 2

jerhow
08-28-2003, 09:45 AM
Does anyone else think it would be a good idea if DCA explored a Knott's Scary Farm type of Halloween conversion?

Personally, assuming they did it right, I think this could be an amazing idea for this struggling park. Now, it couldn't be a light Disneycoated Scary Farm. It would have to be a dark, catering to the teen element Knott's-caliber Scary Farm.

I'm sure people will argue to death that Disney isn't Knott's, and the park MUST cater to the family element as well. But think about it: a) The park doesn't truly dedicate itself to any one demographic right now. b) The park closes at 6 or 7 anyway in October (much like the Berry Farm does right before they open it back up for the Scary Farm nights.)

And talk about a major boost in attendance!

The layout of the park, while arguably not very efficient as a theme park, would be PERFECT for a Scary Farm. You could easily have a dozen maze walk-throughs and still be able to keep your main rides open.

I'd love to go on a Grizzly River ride in the dark with monsters terrorizing me.

What do other people think?

Corith
08-28-2003, 09:54 AM
As much as I dislike DCA and hope that it would become enough of a failed project that TDA execs would rethink and reengineer the park, I like this idea.

I don't see any reason why it can't be done other than money.

jerhow
08-28-2003, 10:23 AM
True, this would cost more than the X-games Xperience. But it would cost a lot less than your standard $50 million E-Ticket ride.

But if done right, with some good money being spent to blow the Knott's version out of the water and become the definitive Halloween experience, you would guarantee yourself HUGE returns on your investment.

Truthfully, I'd probably go to both every year. Certainly I'd support DCA's attempt if their goal is to compete, and not give you a sub-par experience. Two or three mazes and an un-confident agenda won't cut it. They need 12 mazes. Ride conversions. Signs posted outside warning of the terrors on the inside that will be too frightening for young children. Now that is a statement! And that's what DCA needs - a big time statement!

And then the money will pour in! Ah, we can dream.

dsnylndmom
08-28-2003, 10:25 AM
I love this idea! I think it would be a blast!

SoCalDisneyLover
08-28-2003, 03:31 PM
Don't mean to throw water on this idea...but it will never happen. Just another well intentioned suggestion that would never see the light of day under the current regime.

For all the creativity on these boards, I doubt the suits give much thought to doing anything significant. I also think there is an understanding by Disney that Knott's is the leader when it comes to Halloween. I imagine they don't feel they could put enough of a dent in Knotts' status in this area. It will be status quo for the remainder of the year. Mansion makeover followed by Xmas decorations, and that's about it.

cryan71
08-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Since DCA has pretty much copied Knotts and Universal anyway...

Guest_Control
08-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Does every park need to have a Halloween re-theming? Knott's has it, Universal has it, and even Magic Mountain has it. Unless Disney put an incredible amount of money into the event (and by definition, DCA is subjected to mediocre events) I don't think it would be much of a success.

But maybe I'm wrong, and people are dying to visit "Flik's Fun Scare."

:D

MonorailMan
08-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Nice Pun.

Continuing, I think that DLR needs some sort of Halloween party. Maybe we need to break away from the current mold, and do something daring as, allowing costumes to be worn at the park on Halloween. (Strict rules applying of course) But, that's yet another far-fetched idea.

The best we have now, is a $20 movie screening, of a decade old movie.

We need better! :D

cemeinke
08-28-2003, 08:51 PM
Of course they'd have to keep DCA open past 6:00PM :rolleyes:

I like the idea - just imagine paradise pier with erie calliopie music and zombie carnies. I think they could find a nice nitch. Especially if they commit fully to the "Hip & Edgy" concept they began with. Add a spooky DJ and dance area like New Years, serve spooky alcoholic beverages. I'd definately go to a Mad Monster Mambo.

Captain Josh
08-28-2003, 08:54 PM
A horror carnival? Gosh, I'd be so there....

AVP
08-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Corith
I don't see any reason why it can't be done other than money. I don't believe that DCA can stay open that late on school nights. That's why grad nights only start in DCA, and don't end there - the park has to close by 11.

AVP

merlinjones
08-28-2003, 09:19 PM
DCA is already spooky:

deserted, haunted, tortured, repellant, repulsive, sinking, slipping, ugly, creepy, backward, false-fronted, sparse, abandoned, avoided, plagued, solemn, somnombulent, stillborn, leeching, sucking, biting, lab-created, bewitched, bothered, bewildered, mummified, bloodless, frigid, frightful, cautious, weenie-less, stretched, squashed, in disrepair, buggy, sparse, cold, stinky, surreal, a blot, a pox, a pit, apalling, a pale shadow, a monster, a disaster... and has a chilling psycho carnival soundtrack already...

Who needs Halloween?

cemeinke
08-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
DCA is already spooky:

deserted, haunted, tortured, repellant, repulsive, sinking, slipping, ugly, creepy, backward, false-fronted, sparse, abandoned, avoided, plagued, solemn, somnombulent, stillborn, leeching, sucking, biting, lab-created, bewitched, bothered, bewildered, mummified, bloodless, frigid, frightful, cautious, weenie-less, stretched, squashed, in disrepair, buggy, sparse, cold, stinky, surreal, a blot, a pox, a pit, apalling, a pale shadow, a monster, a disaster... and has a chilling psycho carnival soundtrack already...

Who needs Halloween?

Yeah but it still closes at 6:00, so only the ghosts can enjoy it

Lashbear
08-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Maybe they can have it so the sticks that poke you for the "Bee Stings" in ITTBAB are real knives instead !! [That WAS a joke, folks]

...seriously though, what about REAL rubber spiders that could drop RIGHT down on the audience during ITTBAB ? - That would scare me ! :eek:

Captain Josh
08-28-2003, 10:23 PM
But...then they'd become souvenirs, for FREE?! Who are you trying to fool?

Lashbear
08-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Hmmmm.... Maybe they could have a self-destruct mechanism ? :p

swtkissez
08-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by AVP
I don't believe that DCA can stay open that late on school nights. That's why grad nights only start in DCA, and don't end there - the park has to close by 11.

AVP

ummm...DCA has closed after 11pm many times..trust me, i've been there until 2am closing before. its the money factor, theres not a whole lot different at night in DCA than there is during the day, so people leave, therefore making it not very efficient to keep open. however i loove this idea of a scary DCA, actually me and a friend were talking about it several days ago before i read this board...haha, kewl.

robsmustang
08-29-2003, 09:24 AM
i think it would be a good idea, but i doubt they will go for it

DBJ
08-29-2003, 09:41 AM
Disney does do movies with scary elements in them.

Pirates had zombie skeletons, Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion movie has ghosts and the living dead. You could even theme a nightime parade to the Pirates movie and promote it as the pirates invading DCA.

DCA already has one horror attraction opening in 04, Tower of Terror.

Therefore, I think that this is something that could work in DCA. Of course, it would have to be a real committment to the idea in order for it to work.

They could even open Super Star Limo, and change it from unintentional horror to a scary attraction.

They should split developement costs with WDW, and they could do a similar attractions at Disney MGM studios.

But, it is the kind of vision & monetary investment that would never get off the drawing board, despite the evidence of other local parks managing to do park makeovers with far less monetary resources. Really, if a park as cash strapped as SFMM can attempt the Fright Fest every year, then there is little reason why DCA cannot do the exact same thing.

I have a feeling that the overhead at Disney for adding new attractions/events is so freakishly high (based on the rumored price tag of the Pooh attraction), almost like government military contractors, that in the end most projects that could be benefit the park wind up being scrapped.

Instead of cutting back on the parks and the salaries of the actual park employees, imo it's time there clear out the lower level executive ranks who are involved in the decision making process for the parks.

fairytalelover
08-29-2003, 10:51 AM
Since DCA already looks like those Santa Cruz like carnivals by the sea, they should do a "Lost Boys" modern vampires theme there.

Tigertail777
08-29-2003, 12:50 PM
You know, as much as I really dont care for (read that as almost outright hate) DCA, THIS idea if done properly would make me really want to go to DCA a LOT! I absolutely love this idea, and it almost seems like DCA is built for it, in park layout and rides.

Soarin: change the movie where you are soaring over a country at night, perhaps make it a cgi version of night on bald mountain that you soar over the haunted village, and right up to chernabog!

screamin: enclose part of the ride in a circus tent, and have all kinds of freakish blacklight displays of clowns and stuff inside so you are zooming through all this stuff it could even be mostly plywood cutouts with blacklight it would still work great.

Orange stinger: enclose those see thru parts with heavy tarps so you are completely in the dark, turn up the buzzing bees volume (maybe even retrofit some near proximity speakers with binaural sound so it sounds real) get a low confetti cannon type thing to shoot confetti at the riders in the dark so it feels like bees attacking, and have the CM yelling about killer bees getting into the ride.

GRR: put a giant witch hat prop on the bear mtn, add halloween stuff on the sides that you see, enclose the cave a little more so daylight cant get thru as much, and have a bunch of scary black light attacking grizzly bears in there as you go past.

Animation building: the big entrance area, use nothing but scary classic animation: ichabod and mr toad, close ups of lady tremain, and other villians.
The beasts library: decorate for halloween, and temporarily program the "which character are you" kiosks to only have villians... they could make some money here by hooking the kiosks up to printers, and guests could pay around $5 for a print out souvineer of what villian they are on special Halloween paper suitable for framing. The rest is already really villian stuff so would only need some light halloween decorations.

Superstar limo: ok this one is a bit of a stretch because it would need a fair amount of money to do, but could be used on subsequent years like HMH is, so it may work. Turn this into a sleepy hollow ride... make the ride cars either look like old horse drawn coaches, or giant jack o lanterns (anyhting halloween themed that could be put over the old ride cars), then you start out at the halloween party which would be an easy room to do, then the majority of the ride is through scary woods (you can place backdrops and tree props in front of all the stuff in limo now so its hidden behind the halloween stuff), towards the end you see the headless horseman a few times (he can be stationary or slightly moving if this needs to be done cheap), have the ride speed up a bit as if you are being chased and hear stereo hoofbeats coming after you and sinister laughter in speakers placed along the track. Finally you come to the covered bridge, you make it across, and think you are away from the bridge, then you round a bend and the bridge is there again, on the other end is the headless horseman (projected animation on the far end, being projected from behind) suddenly he throws the flaming jack o lantern at you (there is layers of thin scrim across top rafter areas of the bridge, the hidden projector projects the animation on each seperate piece moving towards you so it appears it is being thrown towards you). After the flaming jack o lantern hits the last layer... just before your car... a REAL flaming looking jack o lantern shoots out on a wire from behind the scrim rigth towards you... then everything goes pure dark, and you hear the last little bit of narration from the movie, about whether ichabod survived or not. It would actually be fairly cheap and easy to do except for the "covers" for the ride cars.

OR another idea for superstar limo layover, is to base a ride on the "trick or treat for donald duck" cartoon, since you already have a town of sorts you could use, just make it seem like night time, have halloween decorations, and show a bit of the story from the cartoon at a time, using a pepper ghost illusion for all the goofy ghosts and jackolanterns, and play the trick or treat song throughout. The only thing thats problematical in this one is again the ride cars... unless you ditched the limo cars, and put some other cars from another ride on the track.

I could go on and on, but this gives you an idea of what could be done fairly cheaply and still be nicely done. I really like this idea!:D

flippin_mermaid
08-29-2003, 07:32 PM
I don't personally think Disney will ever do it...and if they do it will never be as successful or as scary as Knotts Scary Farm. *shrug* Just my own personal opinion. Knotts Scary Farm STILL scares the p*ss outta me to this day and that's what makes it fun. Disney would only try to "Disney-fy" and it would be MUCH milder. Younger kids would probably like it though. But yeah...it'd be great to have a Scary-Farmish theme there at DCA, provided they could do it in true Halloween fashion. But think of the bars over there! And all the liquored-up fools! LOL...

Rick
08-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Creative and well thought out ideas but there is a problem. Even with excessive warnings most parents would think "well It's a Disney Park so how
bad can it be and take thier little 6-year olds. I was a scardey cat to the twelth power as a kid. so I'd probably have nightmares for the rest of my life.
And don't forget those radicals who'd sue Disney because thier kid was scared. :rolleyes:

jerhow
09-03-2003, 02:36 PM
2 things:

"most parents would think "well It's a Disney Park so how
bad can it be and take thier little 6-year olds"

That's why the nice park closes at 6 pm ala Knott's and re-opens under the new theme, with warning signs all over the place. Knott's during the day has many young children and the parents seem to get the message that they should stay out of the Scary Farm.

And I think DCA competition would actually force Knott's to enhance and expand it's own Scary Farm. It is the cream of the crop of the Halloween experiences, but it could use a little kick in the pants to beef itself up a little as well.

fairytalelover
09-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Well DCA is already as cheap looking like a Knotts or Six Flaggs so they might as well go all the way and do what they do.