PDA

View Full Version : Likelihood of RCI trade in

Pages : [1] 2

PhiSigDuchessCV
05-03-2013, 04:59 AM
My friend and I both contacted RCI to see if any DVC units are available to trade in to in early December. The guy my friend talked to said they rarely get DVC inventory because everyone usually "sells" their week if they aren't going to use it. My friend didn't set up an ongoing search as the RCI person was so negative about the likelihood of anything opening up. When I called RCI the woman I talked to said they hadn't had anything deposited in the last two months but offered to set up an ongoing search. I set it up and told her if nothing comes available by June I would go ahead and cancel the search so I could book in to my standby resort. She actually suggested I wait until July as she has seen DVC deposited in summer as people don't take their vacation.

I'm just curious how many of you have been able to trade in to DVC? Should I cancel the search or let it go for a while longer?

GusMan
05-03-2013, 05:07 AM
There have been a few people that have had success with RCI trades. At the same time, early December is a very popular time for DVC members to visit WDW because of the low point cost and the holiday festivities. Inventory for trades may be somewhat low for that time period.

I would keep the search in place and if you really want to go to WDW, consider having some sort of alternative booking in place, either onsite with cash or some other RCI location nearby. if that is an option.

3Princesses1Prince
05-03-2013, 07:39 AM
I've had success trading into dvc through RCI, but the bulk if the available units have been in August/September. I have seen dvc units as recent as this week but for July and August only. I definitely agree that an ongoing search is the way to go as you will get a call before its listed on the site. I have seen Xmas week before believe it or not but it went really quickly, but its usually the offseason.

Also do you have Rci weeks or Rci points? Rci weeks rarely gets deposits. They are usually through Rci points.

PhiSigDuchessCV
05-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have RCI points. We definitely have backup plans to either trade in to Orange Lake or Summer bay Resorts. Still keeping fingers crossed something at DVC will open up. I'll keep the search going for a while

3Princesses1Prince
05-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have RCI points. We definitely have backup plans to either trade in to Orange Lake or Summer bay Resorts. Still keeping fingers crossed something at DVC will open up. I'll keep the search going for a while

I find it really odd that they told you they had no deposits in the last 2 months. None were available a week ago and they had 4 resorts earlier this week.

PhiSigDuchessCV
05-03-2013, 04:47 PM
I called RCI last week so it may have been before anything was deposited. They are doing a search of all the WDW DVCs to increase the odds that something may be found

3Princesses1Prince
05-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I called RCI last week so it may have been before anything was deposited. They are doing a search of all the WDW DVCs to increase the odds that something may be found

There had been weeks available prior to that too. I check weekly "just in case". :) we were spoiled last time with 2 weeks at BCV through Rci. I know it's not likely to happen again, but a girl can hope right?

wwomant
05-17-2013, 11:51 AM
I've had success trading into dvc through RCI, but the bulk if the available units have been in August/September. I have seen dvc units as recent as this week but for July and August only. I definitely agree that an ongoing search is the way to go as you will get a call before its listed on the site. I have seen Xmas week before believe it or not but it went really quickly, but its usually the offseason.

Also do you have Rci weeks or Rci points? Rci weeks rarely gets deposits. They are usually through Rci points.

3p, how many RCI points does a 2 bedroom DVC unit typically cost?

3Princesses1Prince
05-17-2013, 04:54 PM
3p, how many RCI points does a 2 bedroom DVC unit typically cost?
I don't know. It gives it to me in Worldmark point value (10,000 for a wk in a 2br). It's actually less points for me to stay at DVC than my worldmark Orlando (12,000 pts).

wwomant
05-18-2013, 09:10 AM
I don't know. It gives it to me in Worldmark point value (10,000 for a wk in a 2br). It's actually less points for me to stay at DVC than my worldmark Orlando (12,000 pts).

That's helpful though, thanks. :) Do you know if they keep same point level all year, or go up with the peak seasons?

3Princesses1Prince
05-18-2013, 01:07 PM
That's helpful though, thanks. :) Do you know if they keep same point level all year, or go up with the peak seasons?

Same all year for us at least. 8k for studios, 9k for 1br and 10k for 2br

PhiSigDuchessCV
05-18-2013, 03:46 PM
I was looking at the RCI today and had a little bit of hope. It showed Saratoga Springs with a December 8th checkin. When I clicked on available units it would show any so I called RCI. the RCI guy checked but said that the website sometimes has errors and he didn't see that unit available. There were quite a few units for September checkin, if I didn't want to see the Christmas Decorations I would have talked to my friend about changing to a September checkin date. Still keeping the ongoing search for a while longer

3Princesses1Prince
05-18-2013, 06:14 PM
I was looking at the RCI today and had a little bit of hope. It showed Saratoga Springs with a December 8th checkin. When I clicked on available units it would show any so I called RCI. the RCI guy checked but said that the website sometimes has errors and he didn't see that unit available. There were quite a few units for September checkin, if I didn't want to see the Christmas Decorations I would have talked to my friend about changing to a September checkin date. Still keeping the ongoing search for a while longer

It was there. But I've had that same thing happen. I chalk it up to someone snagged it first. I would've loved to book it but my final is that Monday so I couldn't leave until after that.

wwomant
05-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Same all year for us at least. 8k for studios, 9k for 1br and 10k for 2br

Thanks! I've looked before at getting some free/cheap Worldmark points on resale and it's good to know how many we'd need if I ever wanted to be able to book a WDW DVC.

3Princesses1Prince
05-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks! I've looked before at getting some free/cheap Worldmark points on resale and it's good to know how many we'd need if I ever wanted to be able to book a WDW DVC.

Worldmark has great trading power in RCI. You are just at the mercy of DVC availability. You have to go into it knowing you don't get to choose WHEN you want to go, you go when you find availability.

wwomant
05-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Worldmark has great trading power in RCI. You are just at the mercy of DVC availability. You have to go into it knowing you don't get to choose WHEN you want to go, you go when you find availability.

Curious...have you looked for and seen any Aulani yet?

3Princesses1Prince
05-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Curious...have you looked for and seen any Aulani yet?

Nope and I've only seen grand Californian once in the last 3 years.

wwomant
05-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Nope and I've only seen grand Californian once in the last 3 years.

A friend of mine has either Wyndham or Worldmark points, I can't remember which, and did get a week at the Grand California this last July. But she put in an ongoing request for a summer week, and waited almost 2 years to get it.

tappenfeat
05-19-2013, 08:09 PM
I called RCI and asked to exchange into a DVC and the rep laughed at me. What a way to be helpful...and I didn't get any straight answers at all!

I hope everything works out for you! Keep us posted!!! :)

3Princesses1Prince
05-19-2013, 08:23 PM
I called RCI and asked to exchange into a DVC and the rep laughed at me. What a way to be helpful...and I didn't get any straight answers at all!

I hope everything works out for you! Keep us posted!!! :)

That's nuts because there are 4 different resorts available in September right now.

tappenfeat
05-19-2013, 08:30 PM
That's nuts because there are 4 different resorts available in September right now.

We could never go in September. :( I start up teaching during that month and the kids are just going back to school. RCI did offer me a bonus week to one of "their" affiliated resorts, but no DVC.

3Princesses1Prince
05-19-2013, 09:30 PM
We could never go in September. :( I start up teaching during that month and the kids are just going back to school. RCI did offer me a bonus week to one of "their" affiliated resorts, but no DVC.

I understand that. I don't understand the multiple reports that RCI agents tell people it's "never available". They remind me of phone CMs....giving not so reliable information. Now, if you are asking for Xmas week or something I can see them saying it's a long shot (though I saw it last year but it was gone before I could "select" it). I have seen plenty of August availability the last couple of years, and even some June or July dates. In fact I saw a June week recently that was available at less than 45 days out, which means it was at a discounted point value.

PhiSigDuchessCV
05-26-2013, 09:00 AM
I have to say I'm glad I got the RCI representative that I did as it seems as though quite a few of you didn't have one as informative as mine. I'll probably keep the search going through June, and maybe even wait until I get back from my sororities Centennial celebration in July. I've been keeping an eye on the RCI DVC listings since January and it seems as though they DVC ones start to show about 4-6 months out from the reservation date. Hopefully with the timeframe we're trying to go in December we'll have a little more luck then if we were trying to do Christmas week.

when I spoke to the RCI rep last week they did say that if any comes available that my search would grab it before it could go on the website. I did like that I got an email this week letting me know the status of my search and that they are still searching the 7 DVCs I asked them to search for.

Still keeping positive thoughts and fingers crossed that we'll have some luck and be able to trade in to DVC in December

PhiSigDuchessCV
06-07-2013, 02:42 PM
WOO HOO, lots of prayer and positive thoughts worked. I just confirmed an RCI trade today for DVC Old Key West Resort for December 13 checkin date. We'll stay at my friends Summer Bay Resort timeshare the first week and then move over to DVC the next week. I am so excited!!!!!! Once I get final confirmation then I've been told I actually need to call Disney to see if I can get the Disney Dining Plan

suejacken
06-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Awesome. Congratulations. It pays to keep trying