PDA

View Full Version : Annual Passes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 10:44 AM
I keep reading posts from people in different threads lately about how they don't like the AP holders. That they would prefer that APs did not exist. I don't understand this point of view. I am an AP holder and it's the best thing that ever happened to me. We go to DL almost every other weekend. Somtimes we run our errands on a Saturday and then around 5 or 6pm we drive over and have dinner at DL and walk around, see if there are new items in the shops to buy and we also collect the trading pins so we buy some of those. Sometimes we go there from early in the morning until closing and sometimes we just get a hotel room for the weekend and spend the entire weekend there.
We could never afford to go to DL so much without an AP.
I would like to hear opinions about whether APs are good or bad.

TheatreTech
08-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Why would it be bad?:confused: During the summer i'm there about three times a week. I've met so many people and have tons of fun even if I by myself. There are very few things that I rather be doing. Without an AP there would be no way that i could afford to go that often.:D

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Some people are saying that we AP holders just wear and tear on DL and don't really contribute any money in the park. Apparently we dont pay our way.:rolleyes:

Not Afraid
08-27-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
Some people are saying that we AP holders just wear and tear on DL and don't really contribute any money in the park. Apparently we dont pay our way.:rolleyes:

Yeah, there are those that say that, however our Annual Finincial Report for the category Disneyland would beg to differ. I would probably SAVE money without an AP.

Then there are those that hate APs because of their attitude. I agree that there are a few nasty people in every group, but most AP respect DL and it's staff and would never have a bad attitude.

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Yeah, there are those that say that, however our Annual Finincial Report for the category Disneyland would beg to differ. I would probably SAVE money without an AP.

Then there are those that hate APs because of their attitude. I agree that there are a few nasty people in every group, but most AP respect DL and it's staff and would never have a bad attitude.

Why would AP holders disrespect DL and its staff? That makes no sense to me. I would think that anyone who is an AP holder is a major DL fan and would probably be have the best attitude and utmost respect for DL. At least we are like that.

Not Afraid
08-27-2003, 11:19 AM
Why would AP holders disrespect DL and its staff? That makes no sense to me. I would think that anyone who is an AP holder is a major DL fan and would probably be have the best attitude and utmost respect for DL. At least we are like that. \

Apparently, because certain APs feel that they "own" the park can be very demanding and request special treatment. There have been several mentions of this behavior from CMs on the board. There're stories about APs on other boards such as Stupidguesttricks.com.

Mommy2NicknMax
08-27-2003, 11:22 AM
I can share my little APer story w/you. We were there a few weeks ago. Waiting in a very long line to get into the park. Behind us were some younger men. One had just got his AP and was so proud of himself that he was speaking loudly so that everyone could hear him.

His thoughts (as we waited in this line) were that 1) AP holders should not have to wait in line w/everyone else. 2) AP holders deserve their own special entrance to the park as to not have to wait in line w/the "other" (said in a snotty tone) people. 3) Shouldn't their be an AP only day???? 4) Why do I have to wait in this line when I have my AP???

Now as you can see he was really harping on the whole waiting in line thing. But my guess is that he'd carry that attitude right on to the attractions, shows, where ever he went. Where ever he had to "wait" in line. One bad apple that one was! Thankfully his friends seemed embarrassed by him and what he was saying, LOL!

Outside of that ONE person, during the five days we were there, I couldn't have told the APers from the everyday ticket holders at all. Everyone else conducted themselves well.

Crystal

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
\

Apparently, because certain APs feel that they "own" the park can be very demanding and request special treatment. There have been several mentions of this behavior from CMs on the board. There's stories about APs on other boards such as Stupidguesttricks.com.

Wow!! I go to check that out. I can't believe people would do that. I hope they don't mess it up for the rest of us and DL ends up taking away APs.:(

Subsonic
08-27-2003, 12:32 PM
I've posted this before, but that was a while ago. I'll post again.

The reason there's a bad rap for passholders is that there's two types of passholders.

The first type are the ones that you don't know are passholders. These are the ones that just blend in. They visit the park go on a few attractions, eat, relax. I'd say this type of AP makes up for 80% of all APs.

The second, is the type that results to the bad reputation of APers. Also, I'd say most of the bad rap comes from Castmembers.

These are the, "I'm better than" and/or obsessive types.

The "Better than" type thinks that the AP is a VIP pass to front of lines and special treatment.

"I've come here 20 times in the last month, I know how the system works."

Since these APs go so much they believe they know more then castmembers.

Secondly, the obsessive type.
These usually are the type that buy all the AP related stuff.
Number 1 being the pin trading; People decked out with hundreds of pins on a neck lanyard that is holding their AP in a plastic sleeve.
Usually doning more then 2 pieces of disney clothing.

These types of people stand out and give the rest of the AP's a bad name.

Don't get me wrong the obsessive type don't cause any harm. They just stick out and can creep out cast members.
The "I own the park" type we all don't like.

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Subsonic

Secondly, the obsessive type.
These usually are the type that buy all the AP related stuff.
Number 1 being the pin trading; People decked out with hundreds of pins on a neck lanyard that is holding their AP in a plastic sleeve.
Usually doning more then 2 pieces of disney clothing.

These types of people stand out and give the rest of the AP's a bad name.

Don't get me wrong the obsessive type don't cause any harm. They just stick out and can creep out cast members.
The "I own the park" type we all don't like.

Wait a minute. I take offense to that. We are big Disney fans and have always been. We enjoy wearing our Disney hats and shirts etc.. I even have my minnie mouse earrings I wear when I go. This is all part of the experience for us. It's fun.

We have no longer teenagers anymore so we don't care about looking "nerdy". We even laugh at ourselves at times...all in fun! That is what it's all about anyway! We also just starting getting involved in the whole Pin Trading thing and that is becoming fun too.

However, we are always respectful of DL, its CMs, the other guests and the rules and regulations there. So how is it that people like us give AP holders a bad name?????:mad:
We dont think nor do we act like we own the park. We simply take advantage of all that DL has to offer and enjoy it all to its fullest extent and have a fabulous time. I would think that people like us would give AP holders a great name.

Not Afraid
08-27-2003, 12:56 PM
So how is it that people like us give AP holders a bad name?????:mad:
We dont think nor do we act like we own the park. We simply take advantage of all that DL has to offer and enjoy it all to its fullest extent and have a fabulous time. I would think that people like us would give AP holders a great name.

That would seem to be the case, however it is not really so. All you can do is provide actions that buck the sterotype. This sterotype, as well as a lot of others we've been discussing on this board, usually don't apply to the majority of the people.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Actually, there are three kinds of annual passholders.

One kind is essentially indistinguishable from a non-passholder. They act like any other paying guest, except for perhaps being a bit more knowledgeable.

The second kind of passholder is the kind that realizes that he or she can go to DL at any time, at the drop of a hat, and spend a great deal less than he or she would at a third-run movie house, and that he or she has plenty of special privileges already, bought and paid for with the pass, and can get a few more just through a combination of knowledge and patience. Like getting a cab ride on the monorail by waiting out one or two trains on the platform, rather than by being pushy. These are the people who might quietly, discreetly, in a non-embarrassing, non-confrontational manner, point out a cobweb in the Tiki Room, or a worn-out video cable on Star Tours, so it can be taken care of while it still is a small problem. These are the people who exude an air of quiet confidence and comfort, who not only get asked for directions to the nearest convenience, or the Plaza Hub, or some attraction, but who actually take the time to direct other guests. These are the people who, if they are told they showed their pass too late to get a store discount, don't raise any sort of stink, but simply admit that they knew the rules for getting the discount, and blew it for themselves. These are the people who discreetly show their passes in restaurants, to get the discount, and try to show them early enough that nobody has to re-figure the check, but if a waiter/waitress apologetically tells them that the restaurant in question doesn't offer a discount, takes it in stride, and assures the waiter/waitress that he/she has nothing to apologize for. These are the people who show up after the Blue Bayou has officially stopped serving, apologetically explain that they'd gotten stuck in a traffic jam at the Plaza Hub, politely ask to be squeezed in, wait with the full knowledge that the lead would have every right to turn them away, and if still seated that late, stop at City Hall and fill out a commendation for the restaurant's entire staff, for going above and beyond the call of duty.

Then you have the ones who give passholders a bad name. These are the people who flaunt their passes, and who seem to think that getting into DL and DCA whenever they want, for an amortized price that's a fraction of what non-passholders pay per visit, and getting free parking, and getting discounts, and occasionally even getting a passholder party, aren't enough special privileges. They complain loudly about having to wait in line, and about anything that's not in perfect working order, and whine when they don't get their way. These are certainly a minority, and may very well be a much smaller minority than the "helpful, patient, courteous" type, but they're so obnoxious, they SEEM like they're in the majority. (Sort of like Neocons. In fact, come to think of it, they and Neocons have a lot in common.)

I would suggest that "fairytalelover," along with many (but not all) of the other MousePad members, fit into the second category. Now for some reason, I've got this urge to buy a package of WWWD pins.

Nancy
08-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Too bad there isn't a sign at the ticket window or where ever one may purchase an annual pass, that reminds you that an annual pass is simply a means of entering the park for 12 months. Maybe the perks should be stopped. The price of the pass could just be determined by black out days. I personally love the annual pass and NEVER tell CMs that I have one. I try to hide it when I use it for any % off at any given place a discount is offered. I've had CMs laugh and tell my not to be embarrassed, that it was no big deal. I've been told not to worry because I didn't act like " one of them", the bad apples.:)

Subsonic
08-27-2003, 02:16 PM

We dont think nor do we act like we own the park. We simply take advantage of all that DL has to offer and enjoy it all to its fullest extent and have a fabulous time. I would think that people like us would give AP holders a great name. [/B]

I never said that your potential was bad, just that you stick out. Read on...

I stated that there are 2 catagories:

After reading hbquikcomjamesl observation I would have to agree that there are 3 major catagories.

I would say that I fall into his number 2 catagory.

This would put my 2nd catagory and his 3rd at the same level.

Being that, I should have split my observation of the 3rd catagory into sub catagories:

a) "I own the park" people:
These are the worst

b) Obsessive:
These are the flaunters.
Even though, they don't cause harm they still stick out. I know that when I was a castmember we would take about how these people are creepy and a little too into Disney.

So, once again, these type may or may not cause harm but they do stand out and get will get identified as a passholder.

Remember, people tend to dwell on bad experiences and stereotype those that have caused them.

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Actually, there are three kinds of annual passholders.

One kind is essentially indistinguishable from a non-passholder. They act like any other paying guest, except for perhaps being a bit more knowledgeable.

The second kind of passholder is the kind that realizes that he or she can go to DL at any time, at the drop of a hat, and spend a great deal less than he or she would at a third-run movie house, and that he or she has plenty of special privileges already, bought and paid for with the pass, and can get a few more just through a combination of knowledge and patience. Like getting a cab ride on the monorail by waiting out one or two trains on the platform, rather than by being pushy. These are the people who might quietly, discreetly, in a non-embarrassing, non-confrontational manner, point out a cobweb in the Tiki Room, or a worn-out video cable on Star Tours, so it can be taken care of while it still is a small problem. These are the people who exude an air of quiet confidence and comfort, who not only get asked for directions to the nearest convenience, or the Plaza Hub, or some attraction, but who actually take the time to direct other guests. These are the people who, if they are told they showed their pass too late to get a store discount, don't raise any sort of stink, but simply admit that they knew the rules for getting the discount, and blew it for themselves. These are the people who discreetly show their passes in restaurants, to get the discount, and try to show them early enough that nobody has to re-figure the check, but if a waiter/waitress apologetically tells them that the restaurant in question doesn't offer a discount, takes it in stride, and assures the waiter/waitress that he/she has nothing to apologize for. These are the people who show up after the Blue Bayou has officially stopped serving, apologetically explain that they'd gotten stuck in a traffic jam at the Plaza Hub, politely ask to be squeezed in, wait with the full knowledge that the lead would have every right to turn them away, and if still seated that late, stop at City Hall and fill out a commendation for the restaurant's entire staff, for going above and beyond the call of duty.

Then you have the ones who give passholders a bad name. These are the people who flaunt their passes, and who seem to think that getting into DL and DCA whenever they want, for an amortized price that's a fraction of what non-passholders pay per visit, and getting free parking, and getting discounts, and occasionally even getting a passholder party, aren't enough special privileges. They complain loudly about having to wait in line, and about anything that's not in perfect working order, and whine when they don't get their way. These are certainly a minority, and may very well be a much smaller minority than the "helpful, patient, courteous" type, but they're so obnoxious, they SEEM like they're in the majority. (Sort of like Neocons. In fact, come to think of it, they and Neocons have a lot in common.)

I would suggest that "fairytalelover," along with many (but not all) of the other MousePad members, fit into the second category. Now for some reason, I've got this urge to buy a package of WWWD pins.

cstephens
08-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Subsonic
Since these APs go so much they believe they know more then castmembers.

Though sometimes, that's true, and if it's a situation where I actually know something that the CM doesn't, I really dislike being lied to or hearing the CM lie to someone else.

Case in point 1: at some point in the not-too-distant past, they actually started checking APs in addition to handstamps when you reentered. That had apparently been policy for quite some time, but it was apparently never followed. One day, I went back into DL and showed the CM my hand stamp. She asked to see my AP. I said, oh, OK, no problem, and took a second to pull it out, and as I showed it to her, I asked her when they'd started doing that. She replied indignantly that they *always* do that. OK, it had been about two weeks since my last visit prior to that day, but I'd been going to the park about once a week, at most once every two weeks, for about 3 or 4 years at that point, and I'd *never* been asked to show my AP, so no, they haven't *always* been doing it unless I happen to be so amazingly lucky that every single time I've reentered, I've happened to find the one CM who doesn't check. No, I didn't say all that to her. I have no problem showing my AP, but don't lie to me that it's always been like that.

Case in point 2: Last year or the year before around September, I was standing in New Orleans Square for what reason I can't remember. I noticed a family looking at their map and looking over at Mansion, which was shrouded for its makeover to HMH. The family just noticed that the gates were closed at 10am and so were wondering if it would open later. They stopped a passing CM to ask. Said CM said she didn't know, and then said that they should come back and check at noon. At that point, yes, I politely butted in to tell them that the Mansion was closed for a few weeks for the changeover. The CM sounded surprised, and the family thanked me and went on their way. As a CM, I would think she should know if a major attraction is closed for a significant length of time, but if the CM doesn't know, don't just make up a story. Had I not said something, the family would have wasted the time to come back in two hours to find that the Mansion was still closed. I decided to intervene to save them that wasted trip.

So in both those cases, some might say I was being a stereotypical AP know-it-all. I wouldn't change what I did, though I normally consider myself a non-obtrusive but non-ashamed AP. I use my AP for what it's for - for entrance and discounts.

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 03:28 PM
Sorry, everyone, I just reposted hbquickcomjames's post by accident. I was trying to post a comment and my computer went haywire and it just posted his statement again. Sorry.:(

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Nancy
Too bad there isn't a sign at the ticket window or where ever one may purchase an annual pass, that reminds you that an annual pass is simply a means of entering the park for 12 months. Maybe the perks should be stopped. The price of the pass could just be determined by black out days. I personally love the annual pass and NEVER tell CMs that I have one. I try to hide it when I use it for any % off at any given place a discount is offered. I've had CMs laugh and tell my not to be embarrassed, that it was no big deal. I've been told not to worry because I didn't act like " one of them", the bad apples.:)

I actually don't think you should hide that you are an AP holder, since you are not one of the bad apples. That way you can show help give us a good name.

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

Case in point 2: Last year or the year before around September, I was standing in New Orleans Square for what reason I can't remember. I noticed a family looking at their map and looking over at Mansion, which was shrouded for its makeover to HMH. The family just noticed that the gates were closed at 10am and so were wondering if it would open later. They stopped a passing CM to ask. Said CM said she didn't know, and then said that they should come back and check at noon. At that point, yes, I politely butted in to tell them that the Mansion was closed for a few weeks for the changeover. The CM sounded surprised, and the family thanked me and went on their way. As a CM, I would think she should know if a major attraction is closed for a significant length of time, but if the CM doesn't know, don't just make up a story. Had I not said something, the family would have wasted the time to come back in two hours to find that the Mansion was still closed. I decided to intervene to save them that wasted trip.

So in both those cases, some might say I was being a stereotypical AP know-it-all. I wouldn't change what I did, though I normally consider myself a non-obtrusive but non-ashamed AP. I use my AP for what it's for - for entrance and discounts.

I find what you did to be admirable. There is nothing wrong with helping other guests at DL out if they need info and the CMs can't help them or give them false info. We are more knowledgable than the average DL guest so I think we should help out when we can.:)

GreatWhiteShark
08-27-2003, 04:41 PM
If being an AP holder makes it a sin, then I am a sinner:D
If wearing Disney paraphernalia is soooooo wrong for AP holders, then I'm a bad boy.:D

But no one is going to stop me!

You can put everything you want into categories to make yourself and others feel better. The simple fact of the matter is, All people visting DL/ DCA, WDW weather an AP holder or just an everyday guest, you need to exercise some basic courtesies.

By possesing an AP, does not make you a God or better than the average one day ticket holder and entitling you to special treatment other than the discounts that are allowed.

As for everything, their always a few "bad apples" that make the AP holders look like goof balls (i said balls:D ) but if you like something then it's no big deal to wear their propaganda proudly. It would be the same for a team that you like.

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by GreatWhiteShark
If being an AP holder makes it a sin, then I am a sinner:D
If wearing Disney paraphernalia is soooooo wrong for AP holders, then I'm a bad boy.:D

But no one is going to stop me!

You can put everything you want into categories to make yourself and others feel better. The simple fact of the matter is, All people visting DL/ DCA, WDW weather an AP holder or just an everyday guest, you need to exercise some basic courtesies.

By possesing an AP, does not make you a God or better than the average one day ticket holder and entitling you to special treatment other than the discounts that are allowed.

As for everything, their always a few "bad apples" that make the AP holders look like goof balls (i said balls:D ) but if you like something then it's no big deal to wear their propaganda proudly. It would be the same for a team that you like.

Yes,. like the gay people who wear red shirts on Gay Day. Are they creepy too because they enjoy wearing certain things?

Not Afraid
08-27-2003, 06:13 PM
Yes,. like the gay people who wear red shirts on Gay Day. Are they creepy too because they enjoy wearing certain things?

Ummmm. That's a bit different. I would explain the differences, but I'm tired of doing that at the moment.

Morrigoon
08-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Oh please, not in this thread.

(I know you wouldn't, NA, but someone might)

hbquikcomjamesl
08-28-2003, 07:58 AM
I actually don't think you should hide that you are an AP holder, since you are not one of the bad apples. That way you can show help give us a good name.No, indeed you shouldn't hide the fact; you just shouldn't flaunt it, or treat it as justification for demanding special privileges beyond those you're explicitly given (and those that come naturally, without anybody having to demand anything, to anybody who has enough knowledge and experience to know how things work in a Disney theme park). There's a middle ground between being secretive about your pass, and being obnoxious about it. I call that middle ground "being discreet." Being discreet means that when the announcement was made that the Electrical Parade will return for a two-week encore, two weeks after the passholder party that was supposed to be its last two performances, you don't <female canid used as a verb> and moan about the passholder party being a ripoff, but instead react by saying, "hey, it's still a passholder party, with special entertainment, and a 'Cinderella unit dancers in lighted costumes' meet-and-greet, and besides, if we're at the party, that must mean we're all passholders, and we can all come back every night of the encore, if we want to." And when The Parade then gets its one-and-only out-of-park performance to promote a movie, then gets saved from the scrap heap first by being sent to Florida, then by being used to jump-start DCA, you don't respond by being disappointed that you weren't one of the last few to see it, but instead rejoice in The Parade's continued existence, and use it to first justify a trip to WDW, then to justify going to a 2-park pass before all passes became 2-park.

Or if an attraction has too long of a wait for you, you don't raise a stink and complain that your pass ought to get you backdoored in; you walk away, knowing it won't cost you more than a gallon or two of gas to come back sometime when the attraction is less crowded.

And above all, if a CM marvels that you're patient enough to wait for some desired seat (like the cab of the monorail) to become available, rather than pushing, shoving, and demanding special treatment, you calmly explain that spending one's entire adult life as a passholder may make the obnoxious twits more obnoxious, but if one's not already an obnoxious twit, it just makes one more patient and laid-back.

Which is to say (tying in the thread I started about AP merchandise) that I don't object to wearing things that identify me as a passholder, such as my renewal pins and my October 17th t-shirt, so long as they do so discreetly; I only object to wearing things that scream it and flaunt it (like the stuff advertised in the latest newsletter, and most especially like hanging my pass on a lanyard around my neck)

Actually, I don't especially like hanging anything on a lanyard around my neck. Where convention badges are concerned, I much prefer pocket clips, or even "nerd packs."

One of these days, I'm going to give in to this nagging urge to order a 3-pack of WWWD pins. As soon as I can spare the $15, or as soon as they reissue the original design, or come up with some really new one that truly grabs me, whichever comes first. I just don't especially care for the current "mickeys shorts" or "minnie's dress" designs.

Subsonic
08-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Maybe I'm not being clear.

I'm not saying it's bad or a sin to wear stuff or stand out.

I'm saying that those that stand out will potentially get put into the catagory of being a bad or annoying AP.

So, if people have had bad experiences with APs, they will simply clump 'outgoing' APs into that catagory.

It's not about YOU, it's about the people with bad experiences that clump all APers into the "bad" catagory.