PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Lucky has left the building, or should I say, DCA....

Darkbeer
08-26-2003, 10:21 PM
Based on the comments made by an imagineer today, Lucky did not perform all his "shows" today, and will no longer be on display at the park. He will make his special appearence on Thursday (as reported by AVP), then off to DAK....Read post 182...

http://www.mouseinfo.com/mousetalk/showthread.php?p=151034#post151034

Of course, everything at Disney is always subject to change, but I wouldn't attend DCA the next few days EXPECTING to see Lucky....:eek:

donatello3000
08-27-2003, 12:40 AM
PHEW!
I went to DLR on Monday (Aug. 25, 2003) and when we got hungry, we went to Award Weiners. And we came just in time to see Lucky. It was cool cause I wasn't expecting to see it there. Talk about about Lucky (pun sorta intended). I thought I missed my chance. Since I was hungry and wanted to pay more attention to the food, I got just a couple shots, and a short video clip.

edited to add more comments on Lucky:

By the way, Lucky was amazing! The way he moved his head around and blinked and reacted to people was realistic. Nearby I heard to kids debating on whether or not he was real. It was cute.
I just thought it was sad that he had to lug that huge cart behind him. His back must be hurting.

TheatreTech
08-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by donatello3000

By the way, Lucky was amazing! The way he moved his head around and blinked and reacted to people was realistic. Nearby I heard to kids debating on whether or not he was real. It was cute.
I just thought it was sad that he had to lug that huge cart behind him. His back must be hurting.

I too saw him on Monday! Amazing:eek: Very realistic. And am I the only person who thinks that there is someone inside the cart controling Lucky. Reason I say this is that otherwise, how were his reactions right on time. And he seems to walk straight up the middle of the street even after turning the corners. (Just an thought:geek: )

stagedoorjonny
08-27-2003, 11:29 AM
I saw him Tues. the 26th. He missed his first show, I saw him get tilted up in the air as they pushed the cart back, he looked like a stuffed animal missing some stuffing.

At 3:45 he did come out and do a circuit. I never did see who was controlling him, but he was great. Another person waiting for the show got a call from a friend in group working with Lucky and was told that the 3:45 show would be the last one before he was packed up for the off site gig, and most likely would not preform at DCA any more this week.

RStar
08-27-2003, 02:31 PM
I'm planning to take off work early Thursday to see him. So you say he is still planned to be there?

I hope!

AVP
08-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by TheatreTech
I too saw him on Monday! Amazing:eek: Very realistic. And am I the only person who thinks that there is someone inside the cart controling Lucky. There is, and it's not even a secret - if you ask a CM, they have a sheet of standard answers about him, including the fact that there is a "driver."

I should learn more about how he works tomorrow.

RStar - unfortunately, unless you're coming to the Natural History Museum tomorrow, you won't see him. Lucky's days are up at DCA.

AVP

RStar
08-28-2003, 08:24 AM
Oh, shoot!

I hope he comes back, or they make another for us!

Lost Boy
08-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Lucky is on the front page of the LA Times Business section today. I haven't read the article yet, but its title is "Disney Hopes Dinosaur Gains Main St. Toehold" and then says "Lucky is the first of a new generation of audio-animatronic creatures designed to capture the fancy of theme park visitors". There is a color picture of Lucky and the wizard walking DCA and also a color picture of Abraham Lincoln A/A from Disneyland.

I am going to read the article later today on break, but it looks interesting.

Corith
08-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Rather than this previously unknown Dino, why didn't they skin it with an existing Disney character.

AVP
08-28-2003, 10:34 AM
Lucky also made the front page of the Orange County Register business section, with a nice photo by.... me. :D

Anyway, it was announced at today's press event that Lucky "may" return to DCA next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

So you "may" have another chance to see him.

AVP

RStar
08-28-2003, 11:37 AM
I just read that in the paper (nice picture BTW;) ). It said that his apperance in LA today is his "debut" and that he will be "playing" in DCA three days next week, and then weren't sure if he will stay in DCA or go to WDW. So maybe a chance yet.

I'm still getting off early to go to the parks anyway. Plans were made. What a shame;)................................

malin
08-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Lucky seems to pack the crowds into the Hollywood Pictures Backlot.So I say keep him at DCA for a few more weeks.Then send him of to DAK at WDW in time for the big media event going on down there to officially open Mission Space,Mickey's Phillarmagic and the new fireworks show Whishes.

That will give all the AP's and other guest a chance to see Lucky.

DisneyFan25863
08-28-2003, 02:15 PM
I say, bulid Lucky a sister or somthing, and send her (it?) to DAK, and keep Lucky here, so I can see him :fez:

SoCalDisneyLover
08-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Maybe they can start doing the same thing with rides. Build the ride at Disneyland....test it....preview it for a couple of weeks...and then ship it back east to WDW or overseas to Tokyo. Why bother keeping anything in California...especially if it looks like something we might enjoy.

Andrew
08-29-2003, 08:51 PM
I have just heard from a usually-reliable source that Lucky arrived at WDW this morning. It wasn't clear which park he (it?) was going to.

Darkbeer
08-29-2003, 09:44 PM
An interesting article of what could have been....

Pushing the Envelope on Robots (http://www.discover.com/mar_01/featrobots.html)

Lost Boy
08-29-2003, 10:20 PM
I just have to add something that I thought of the other day while discussing Lucky and DCA with my sister.

Disneyland Resort Management seems to be blind in more ways than one. All we've been hearing and seeing lately is all the lame attempts they have been making to get people to come into DCA and as each one has failed to draw, they try something else. Now they complain they have nothing to draw people in until TOT opens next year (and if what we are hearing about how cheap this one is, how long is that draw going to last)? Oh my, what are we going to do? We have nothing to draw people into DCA until Spring of 2004!

Meanwhile, over in the Hollywood Backlot area, a frienly little dinosaur walks out from behind a curtain, with really no fanfare or publiciity and starts walking around, mingling with people and as each day passes, and word gets out, more and more people start coming into DCA to see this new marvel of Imagineering. Now, Lucky isn't prefect, yet. He has to have a cart behind him to keep his balance. He has to have a driver/operator, for now. But, nevertheless, people are coming in to see him.

Every major Disney Web Site has a story with pictures and video of him.

This board has 4 seperate threads all about Lucky.

And they ship him off to Florida.

The Disney Management can't see the forest for the tress.

There was their draw, staring them right in the face, and they get rid of it. How dumb is that? They haven't got a clue.

I am so frustrated I can't stand it.

Mickeyslittlehelper
08-29-2003, 10:43 PM
I was at the park today (19th) and they said he wouldnt show. There was some exec who flew in to see him from florida. They said he will be around on TUE, WED, & THUR!! (stay around later than planned) I have tons of pics that i have taken over the last 10 days in the Anaheim area, and will hopefully post them soon. I am currently staying at the hojo (who has internet) after moving from our bad stay at the desert inn.

Ghoulish Delight
08-30-2003, 12:17 PM
:crying:

I must share out Luck sob story. As reported here, Lucky was scheduled to make an appearance at the LA museum of Natrual History on Thursday. As it happened, we had tickets for the Producers at the Pantages that night (which is just a stones throw from the museum). I'm still suffering from a permanent reduction in hours, and CP had already scheduled to take the entire day off. Sweet! Might as well make a day of it and hit the museum.

So we called the museum on Tuesday and asked about Lucky, what time he'd be there doing shows, etc. They assured us he would be there all day, 10-5. Well, then, no sense in getting up early and fighting morning traffic. We'd just leave Irvine at 10 and catch Lucky some time during the day.

We arrived at the museum at 11AM. As we were driving in, we saw signs posted on the streets from WDI directing media to Lucky. I asked at the ticket counter about it. She pointed toward the front entrance (we had come in the back) and said, "It was out there, don't know if it's still is." So CP and I wandered out there to take a look. What we found was a large non-descript white tent that was closed up. We guessed he was hiding in there between showings. This was confirmed when we saw people with Disney name-tags coming out of it, and I believe I caught a glimpse of dino skin.

So we figured we'd keep glancing out there and catch him when they were ready to bring him out again. About an hour or so later, we poked our head back out. The tent flap was open...and the tent was empty, no dinosaur in sight (well, none with skin, anyway, it is ther Natural History Museum, afterall :p ). That's when I saw it. In the staff parking lot, sitting behind an open big rig, was a large cart full of flowers right behind something even larger with a tarp over it. :( They were packing Lucky away. The info we got on the phone was apparantly either wrong, or they changed their minds. It seems they paraded him around at 10 for the cameras, then packed him away.

So we missed our one shot to see him without going to Florida. We were so close!! :crying: :mad: :crying:

Of course, on the upside, we spent a nice day at the Natural History Museum, had a chance to check out the brand new California Science Center (which has replaced the old Museum of Science and Industry), and, of course, saw the Producers. So I guess we can't comoplain too much. Oh wait, yes I can. I wanted to see Lucky!!

Kuzcotopia
08-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Because it's REALLY IMPORTANT that the MEDIA see and broadcast images of Lucky, even though he has no place that Disney park guests can reliably see him.

ARRRRRRGHHHHH!!!!

I guess that the folks in charge of the Lucky project are trying to create some buzz, so that folks are CLAMORING to see him. That may tip the balance between a "test" and a permanent addition.

Still, very frustrating!