PDA

View Full Version : Kick off summer with a Monstrous Summer All-Nighter at Disneyland & DCA 5/24

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

AVP
04-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Call it one more One More Disney Day.

Disney is throwing another 24-hour party, this time to kick off their Monstrous Summer promotion. The Monstrous Summer All-Nighter starts 6am Friday, May 24 and runs 24 hours until 6am Saturday, May 25. At Walt Disney World, the party will again be held inside Magic Kingdom park. However, the Disneyland Resort seems to have learned some important lessons from the chaotic Leap Day party (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9894/One_More_Disney_Day_at_the_Disneyland_Resort), and will be opening both Disneyland AND Disney California Adventure park for this event.

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/155697-2/MonsterMonorail.jpg

Following the massive Cars Land opening in 2012, and with the new Fantasyland already open in Florida, it's not surprising that this summer's promotion is a little understated. The Monstrous Summer promo is tied to the June 21 release of “Monsters University,” the college prequel to "Monsters, Inc." We don't have a lot of details about what Disney is planning for this Monstrous Summer All-Nighter, but given that this event falls on Memorial Day weekend, you can expect it to be just a wee bit crowded. Here's the official press release:

Our first-ever, three-park all-night party is happening at the Magic Kingdom Park (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/magic-kingdom/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR000425-04-13) in Florida and Disneyland (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR000525-04-13) park and Disney California Adventure (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR000625-04-13) park in California. The parks will stay open from 6 a.m., May 24 to 6 a.m., May 25, 2013, local time.

In Florida, Magic Kingdom Park will feature a “Monsters University” theme where Mike and Sulley will be the Grand Marshals of the “Celebrate a Dream Come True (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/magic-kingdom/celebrate-a-dream-come-true-parade/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR000725-04-13)” day parade and make appearances in Tomorrowland. There will be extra entertainment throughout the day and night, including characters in their pajamas in Town Square during the late night and early morning, and late-night dance parties in and around the courtyard of Cinderella Castle (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/cinderella-castle/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR000825-04-13).
In California, you’ll be able to party the night away at both parks with special entertainment including: a “Monsters University” “TLT Monstrous” Dance Club and Star Wars characters in Tomorrowland (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/tomorrowland/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR000925-04-13) and late-night Character Pajama Party in Mickey’s ToonTown (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/mickeys-toontown/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR001025-04-13) at Disneyland park. The new Fantasy Faire (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/fantasy-faire/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR0011) Royal Theatre at Disneyland park will become a Royal Dance Hall late at night with a live band and dancing; and guests of Disney California Adventure park will find Monstrous photo opportunities with new “Monsters University” “Dorms” in Hollywood Land (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/hollywood-land/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR0012) and a new “Monsters University” float leading the Pixar Play Parade (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/pixar-play-parade/?CMP=SOC-DPFY13Q2First3ParkAllNighterKicksOffMonstrousSumme atWDWandDLR0013).

Both California parks are scheduled to reopen at 9am on Saturday, May 26 for the start of Opa! A Celebration of Greece at the Disneyland Resort. Magic Kindgom is also scheduled to reopen at 9am Saturday.

MousePlanet was there for the entire 24-hour party (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9894/One_More_Disney_Day_at_the_Disneyland_Resort) in 2012, and we're planning more reader meet-ups at Disneyland for this next event. We even have a special Mini MouseAdventure planned, so stay tuned for details.

If you're planning to attend either party - especially the Disneyland version - here are some tips to prepare:

Read up on last year's event, both our hourly coverage (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9894/One_More_Disney_Day_at_the_Disneyland_Resort) from the parks and the after party recap (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9908/Disneyland_Resort_Update) so you know what to expect.
Get there early and get a locker inside the park, or have a friend who is going early to get one for you. Lockers were hot commodities in the 2012 event, and sold out early at Disneyland. There are more lockers outside the park, but in the event of another late-night main entrance closure, you don't want to be on the wrong side of the gate from your warm clothes.
Better yet, bring a backpack. That way you can park-hop between Disneyland and DCA without worrying where your stuff is.
Make priority seating reservations well in advance - walk-up reservations were impossible to find during the last party. This is a great opportunity to enjoy breakfast at restaurants that don't usually serve that meal, like Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou at Disneyland.
Consider getting a hotel room. There are lots of benefits to having a nearby place to rest, even if it's just for a few hours after the parks close and before check-out time. Resort Hotel guests have more protections in the event of a partial main entrance closure, and will be among the last to be locked out if either park is closed.

JunJunM3
04-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Wow, another 24hr party? So that explains that loud noise I heard earlier today. It was Anaheim PD, CHP, and City officials crying upon hearing this. All joking aside, I'm certain (hoping) they have learned their lessons from "One More Disney Day".

katiesue
04-25-2013, 06:29 PM
On a Friday of a 3 day weekend and a grad nite. Yea this will have no problems at all. Oye.

currence
04-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm not surprised that they are doing this again, but I would have put it on May 25th-26th rather than the 24th-25th. Why? Well, on 5/24 only the So Cal Select is blocked out. On 5/25 they would have blocked out all of the Deluxe, So Cal, and So Cal Select who didn't want to pay the blockout fee or upgrade to a Premium pass. I'm assuming a lot of the participants are annual passholders so this could have been an opportunity to either make a bunch of money off upgrades or keep out a lot of the people who made the leap day experiment such an overcrowded fiasco.

At least they have both parks open, that should help anyone who can find a parking spot.

I'm amused that the official calendar has not yet been updated with these hours.

Shortpix77
04-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Woo! I'm excited. Hopefully they'll do Fast Passes all night this time and not stop them at 8:00 p.m., lol. I'm also way excited for the mini MA!!

DesertWorshipGuy
04-25-2013, 07:19 PM
Super excited about this! Couldn't make it to the leap year event last time. Question though... I have a deluxe AP and its good on the 24th but not the 25th. As long as I'm in the parks prior to midnight I should be fine right? I mean I plan on being there for 24 hours, but was just wondering just in case I have to leave the park for any reason.

3Princesses1Prince
04-25-2013, 07:22 PM
How does this work when that's a grad night too?!?

currence
04-25-2013, 08:00 PM
How does this work when that's a grad night too?!?

The grad night people get rescheduled? Or get to stay all night at no extra cost? If I was (the parent of) a grad scheduled for that night I don't think I would be very happy right now.

Disneylandfanguy
04-25-2013, 08:24 PM
I assume that everyone read the following?;

"The new Fantasy Faire Royal Theatre at Disneyland park will become a Royal Dance Hall late at night with a live band and dancing."

If this turns out to be popular, then I'm sure that Disneyland will consider making the "Royal Dance Hall" feature a permanent addition, thus bringing dancing back to the venue.

3Princesses1Prince
04-25-2013, 09:07 PM
The grad night people get rescheduled? Or get to stay all night at no extra cost? If I was (the parent of) a grad scheduled for that night I don't think I would be very happy right now.

I always thought this was an odd day to schedule a grad night between being a Friday and a holiday weekend....

olegc
04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I always thought this was an odd day to schedule a grad night between being a Friday and a holiday weekend....
and I don't think they can reschedule. It's only one month away - a lot of the tickets probably have already been sold. Could be another case of cross scheduling without checking.

Woo! I'm excited. Hopefully they'll do Fast Passes all night this time and not stop them at 8:00 p.m., lol. I'm also way excited for the mini MA!!

the fastpasses stopped at 8pm because that was the end of the official operating day. SO - whatever the calendar usually is for end of operating day - that's probably when fastpasses would end. My guess is 12 midnight.

I'm not surprised that they are doing this again, but I would have put it on May 25th-26th rather than the 24th-25th. Why? Well, on 5/24 only the So Cal Select is blocked out. On 5/25 they would have blocked out all of the Deluxe, So Cal, and So Cal Select who didn't want to pay the blockout fee or upgrade to a Premium pass. I'm assuming a lot of the participants are annual passholders so this could have been an opportunity to either make a bunch of money off upgrades or keep out a lot of the people who made the leap day experiment such an overcrowded fiasco.

I think this was part of the intent - they had to come up with some other way to promote the summer events since not that many new attractions will be there - so this would generate some word of mouth - but they had to make sure the City and county govt's were OK with this instead of clogging the streets and freeways nearby. I would assume they had to go back and get some sort of approval, or at least a nod of the head, to get the go and support from the authorities. I do believe AP holders where a large number of attendees on leap day - BUT - while standing outside at 9pm, and then leaving at 3am on the OMDD - the majority of folks outside were buying regular tickets - or APs. I wonder how many folks would really want to pay for the blackout tix.

currence
04-25-2013, 09:47 PM
I think this was part of the intent - they had to come up with some other way to promote the summer events since not that many new attractions will be there - so this would generate some word of mouth - but they had to make sure the City and county govt's were OK with this instead of clogging the streets and freeways nearby. I would assume they had to go back and get some sort of approval, or at least a nod of the head, to get the go and support from the authorities. I do believe AP holders where a large number of attendees on leap day - BUT - while standing outside at 9pm, and then leaving at 3am on the OMDD - the majority of folks outside were buying regular tickets - or APs. I wonder how many folks would really want to pay for the blackout tix.

That was my point - I think a lot more people would think twice if they had to buy the blockout ticket. Disney has to tread a fine line between being popular enough that they can call it a hit event and so popular that it creates traffic jams and has hard closures. My understanding (and I could be wrong) was that one reason why they sold so many annual passes that night is because they stopped selling single day tickets as part of their overcrowding mitigation procedures.

For every person I know who was at the Leap Day event, I know several others who have made rumblings that it seemed like a lot of fun and they would do it "next time." Being on a non-blockout day, I'm wondering if I want to show up for part of the event with/without my family. If it was on a blockout day I would not even consider it, at least not for my kids.

Disneyland just doesn't have the capacity for every passholder to show up on the same day. If they had scheduled it on a blockout day for all but the premium passholders, I think a lot of people would skip the event and Disney would make extra money on many of those who chose to come and who needed to either buy the blackout ticket or upgrade their pass.

abkb76
04-26-2013, 05:47 AM
You could not pay me to attend this event. I was at One More Nightmare Disney Day last year. It was horrible. I *really* hope they plan better for this, since last year it was so obvious that they did not. On a major three day weekend? It is already very crowded on Memorial Day Weekend, this will just make it even more so. I hope they plan better for traffic, parking, etc..

3Princesses1Prince
04-26-2013, 07:40 AM
and I don't think they can reschedule. It's only one month away - a lot of the tickets probably have already been sold. Could be another case of cross scheduling without checking.

I'm wondering if this was an original date that they later revoked? I know some dates on the grad night site came off after it was originally posted. But I'm not sure if they were removed because they removed the date, they were sold out, or both...

cstephens
04-26-2013, 07:49 AM
My first thought was that I wasn't going to be attending this time. We went last year on leap day and had a fantastic time. But now, in considering various things, we might just be going again after all.

DesertWorshipGuy
04-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Just booked the hotel room! Excited! Could possibly be going alone, my sister and nephew may join me.. but I'm going either way.

AnotherJenny
04-26-2013, 08:57 AM
The horrible traffic last time didn't really bother me. The gate closure didn't seem that bad. The crowd control on the esplanade and at the security check could have been better but we survived it. Even some of the long lines for rides were manageable. What was the real turn off at the last 24 hour event was the drug use, and the drunk people ramming into us and cutting in front of every single line. But of course, I've booked a hotel and put invites out to people already, because I'm still about 50/50 about whether I'll do it again :)

olegc
04-26-2013, 09:47 AM
That was my point

cool - thanks for clarifying.

My first thought was that I wasn't going to be attending this time. We went last year on leap day and had a fantastic time. But now, in considering various things, we might just be going again after all.

I was on the fence too - but you know the morning and afternoon periods were wonderful. Coming in the morning was important to me to get some of the merch. What I regret missing (but I was so tired and by myself) was the sunrise. Parking at Toy Story I won't miss either because last time they "closed" the lot (meaning no one directed traffic) because the park officially closed at 8pm. Getting there at 9 was an issue. I think this time it may be different - but I will still have to come in the AM, leave, and then return for some late night fun.

Hopefully park hopping won't be an issue - and they won't cut it off at some point.

pixar
04-26-2013, 10:02 AM

At least they have both parks open, that should help anyone who can find a parking spot.

I'm amused that the official calendar has not yet been updated with these hours.

What happens if you're a Deluxe AP and you try to go into the park at 12:01am on 5/25?

disneylandgirl
04-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Ugh... I'm torn. OMDD was a lot of fun, but also a lot of stress. I'm worried that this will be another STRESS day... being that it's on a FRIDAY (last year was Wednesday), MEMORIAL WEEKEND (no big holiday last year) and that most passes are good that day. If OMDD was that hectic... what will this event be like??? The early morning hours were a lot of fun and we got a lot done, but it is worth it to take the day off work and drive down (about 5 hours) to do this? I don't know!!!

cstephens
04-26-2013, 10:33 AM
What was the real turn off at the last 24 hour event was the drug use, and the drunk people ramming into us and cutting in front of every single line.

I'm curious, where did you encounter those? I heard other reports about that sort of thing as well, but I never personally saw any of it, so I guess I was lucky that I wasn't where those things were happening.

What happens if you're a Deluxe AP and you try to go into the park at 12:01am on 5/25?

Shouldn't be a problem. That's still during the 5/24 operating day, which isn't a blockout day. But if the Deluxe AP holder comes back during the regular opening time on 5/25, then they wouldn't be let in.

3Princesses1Prince
04-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Ugh... I'm torn. OMDD was a lot of fun, but also a lot of stress. I'm worried that this will be another STRESS day... being that it's on a FRIDAY (last year was Wednesday), MEMORIAL WEEKEND (no big holiday last year) and that most passes are good that day. If OMDD was that hectic... what will this event be like??? The early morning hours were a lot of fun and we got a lot done, but it is worth it to take the day off work and drive down (about 5 hours) to do this? I don't know!!!

That's why they're doing both parks this time.

currence
04-26-2013, 10:43 AM
But both parks won't necessarily solve the parking nightmares... Hopefully having done it once before will help.

Shortpix77
04-26-2013, 01:46 PM
DesertWorshipGuy: You can hang out with me! I might be alone too, my friends think I'm nuts for wanting to go :-)

bennette
04-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Like this was ever truly in doubt? :)