PDA

View Full Version : Traditionalists rejoicing over 2003 Candlelight?

Pages : [1] 2

lisap
08-25-2003, 08:16 AM
AVP mentioned in her Update that Candlelight *might* be moving back to Main Street this December to make way for construction at the Fantasyland Theatre. Nothing confirmed yet, but...interesting, no? I wonder how they will manage to make this a paid event even with easy access to the general public. :p

cryan71
08-25-2003, 09:10 AM
Easy.

They will construct large view-blocking temporary walls and have non-paying guest tunnel through a tight labrynth to reach the end of main street. Oh, you will be handed ear plugs so you can't hear the chiors singing.

mousey_girl
08-25-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by cryan71
Easy.

They will construct large view-blocking temporary walls and have non-paying guest tunnel through a tight labrynth to reach the end of main street. Oh, you will be handed ear plugs so you can't hear the chiors singing.

I know this was said somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I think it would be a good bet that someone at TDA already thought of that.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-25-2003, 09:49 AM
It seems to me (and I've attended exactly one, back when it was still on Main Street) that it is a religious service, not a show.

As such, it should be freely available to all, or at least, to all who are already in the Park.

innerSpaceman
08-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Not exactly.

1. It was never a religious service, always a show.

2. On Main Street, seats were not for Disneyland guests, but were for Disney VIPs by invitation only. Guest seating was on the ground around the edges of Town Square. There were no tickets - all "spaces" were held by a first come, first served basis.

That's not to say that, if it were to return to Town Square, the Ceremony would not have seating available to Disneyland guests, as has been the practice since moving to the Fantasyland Theater.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-25-2003, 11:58 AM
I would dispute that assessment. While it is of course not a Mass, nor a prayer vigil, I distinctly recall a decidedly religious emphasis. My memory is a bit foggy, as my one and only experience with the tradition was probably well over a decade ago, but as I recall, it involved multiple church choirs, appropriate seasonal hymns (although I also vaguely recall some purely secular Christmas carols as well), and readings from the Biblical Christmas Story. If that constitutes purely a "show," than so does any "Lessons and Carols" service, and so does that quintessentially Anglican of services, an Evensong.

innerSpaceman
08-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Well, then our definition of "show" and "religious service" may just differ.

It is indeed a reading of the biblical story of Christ's birth. But the reading is done by an actor, not a clergyperson; the venue is Disneyland and not a place of worship; and the participating choirs are predominently secular school choirs.

Everything "Christmas" has a certain religous conotation. The Candlelight Ceremony has a most definite religious conotation. But I do not believe it is by any means a religious service. It is, in my opinion, primarily entertainment.

That being said, in its Main Street incarnation, I have often found it to be quite moving and inspiring. Perhaps it is a quasi-religious entertainment.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-25-2003, 12:22 PM
That being said, in its Main Street incarnation, I have often found it to be quite moving and inspiring. Perhaps it is a quasi-religious entertainment.That, I can agree on. I would perhaps go a bit further and say that it's not precisely a religious service (not because the reading is delivered by a lay person, though, as most of the readings in a typical Methodist, Presbyterian, or Episcopal church service are delivered by lay people, and I have it directly from an Episcopal priest that the officiant of an Evensong does not have to be ordained; nor because it doesn't take place in a house of worship, as there are plenty of religious services that take place in other venues, and plenty of shows and concerts that take place in houses of worship; rather, because it is not a participatory experience), and not precisely a show, but something that is both, and yet neither.

At any rate, my comment that it should not require a separate admission charge, or even restricted to invited guests and people who were at the right place at the right time to get advance tickets, but should instead be offered freely to all, still stands.

CarlieB
08-25-2003, 12:57 PM
If that constitutes purely a "show," than so does any "Lessons and Carols" service, and so does that quintessentially Anglican of services, an Evensong.

Judging from the number of tourists at services at St Paul's or Westminster Abbey at times, you'd be forgiven for thinking so sometimes...:)

hbquikcomjamesl
08-25-2003, 01:38 PM
Or for that matter, all those stories about tourists in New Orleans thinking the traditional funerals there are staged public spectacles, rather than real funerals for real people who have really died.

RStar
08-25-2003, 04:41 PM
They just may move it to TSI, build bleachers around ROA, have only celebrities attend, and stick the CMs in the festival area in the dark with 6 bags of chips to split amongst themselvs for dinner.

But that's just my opinion.

They may give them 12 bags.

;)

lisap
08-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by RStar
They just may move it to TSI, build bleachers around ROA, have only celebrities attend, and stick the CMs in the festival area in the dark with 6 bags of chips to split amongst themselvs for dinner.

But that's just my opinion.

They may give them 12 bags.

;)

But you're not bitter. :p

I'm a camp-out kid of girl (not in the wilds--just on concrete), so I hope they give the regular folks a place to see the show if it does move back to Main Street. I don't mind waiting several hours for the Big Payoff.

I'm guessing they would do a Fantasmic/EP type of thing and have reserved seating and a dinner package. Lord knows the dinner package went over SO well last year....:rolleyes: .

millionairegirl
08-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by lisap

I'm guessing they would do a Fantasmic/EP type of thing and have reserved seating and a dinner package. Lord knows the dinner package went over SO well last year....:rolleyes: .

What happened last year?

lisap
08-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm021211.htm) is the wrap-up from last year's event. It covers the dinner-package mayhem.

RStar
08-26-2003, 08:06 AM
But you're not bitter. :p

No bitterness, just sarcasim;) .

I'm with you Lisa, I'll camp if need be. I would have been there last year at 3 in the AM if my mom wasn't still trying to move. But I'm determined to see this show this year! I hope moving it to Main Street doesn't make it that much harder, hopefully easier!

But with the dinner package thing last year, and now making yet another change, I hold little hope they will get it right. But if it gets us seats (rather than standing, and being able to get closser than the opposite end of Main Street) we may do the dinner seats this year anyway. Perhaps we can sit together this year since we missed it last year:cool: ........

lisap
08-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by RStar
Perhaps we can sit together this year since we missed it last year:cool: ........

Deal. :) I'm sure one way or t'other we will be there. Camping, dinner package, whatever.

Since Whose Line is not playing at DCA this year, it's the least we can do.... :(

RStar
08-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Since Whose Line is not playing at DCA this year, it's the least we can do.... :(

That's fer sher!
That was the biggest dissapointment of the year!:(
Of course it's made worse in knowing the show was canceled which is why they won't be there.:crying:

Niwel
08-26-2003, 02:35 PM
I'd buy tickets to a celeb-hosted menorah lighting :) Think of how much money Disney would make -- there are eight nights of Chanukah!!!:fez:

RStar
08-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Yes, but then they'd have to give us all a gift each day!;)

ErikBsandiego
08-27-2003, 08:36 PM
I know I must be in the minority but I LIKED the dinner package last year for the "processional". With the show moving back to Town Square (if that occurs) then the "price of admission" for a decent "seat" is probably camping out on main street 4 to 5 hours prior to the start of the performance. I doubt they will offer the dinner package as they just do not have that many "premium" seats to offer. For those in a "large" group willing to pull the "beach blanket hold" it is not onerous (everyone takes there 1/2 hour holding the spot). For a childless couple, it is a huge time investment that is not worth it.

lisap
08-27-2003, 08:47 PM
For the record, I liked the dinner package in theory. Have a nice dinner, get a good seat--what's to dislike? The execution of it was the problem. Too many conflicting stories and not enough information. Left a very bad taste.

My guess is they will offer the packages if they return to Main Street. The dinner package at the resort seems the way things work now-a-days.

For a childless couple, it is a huge time investment that is not worth it.

Childless couples at a disadvantage? I don't see it that way. No child under sixteen (being conservative here) is interested in holding space for hours. It's a big investment either way--parents entertaining kids alone in the park while another family member holds seats or a couple hanging out together waiting. Both ways it's a commitment. :)

RStar
08-28-2003, 10:34 AM
I recall walking past one year and they had around 100 chairs set up. I don't know if that would be enough, or if they could squeeze in more.

cstephens
08-28-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ErikBsandiego
For a childless couple, it is a huge time investment that is not worth it.

What does having kids or not having kids have anything to do with this?

ErikBsandiego
08-28-2003, 06:18 PM
If you have kids they pull "seat hold duty" (or at least share the duty with one parent). If a couple, it is either both sit and wait it out or basically "solo" the park giving each other breaks. Bottom line is that NO disney entertainment (frankly almost any entertainment) is worth making a 4-5 hour time investment of just siting around alone on a sidewalk.

lisap
08-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ErikBsandiego
Bottom line is that NO disney entertainment (frankly almost any entertainment) is worth making a 4-5 hour time investment of just siting around alone on a sidewalk.

Well, I know people who would agree with you and some who wouldn't. I've spent some very happy hours on sidewalks at DL-- depends on the company (or the book). Of course, my point of view would be very different if I only visited the parks once or twice yearly.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how it all goes down this year.