PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Ride Closures at Disneyland Today: Space, Splash, Matterhorn, Soarin'

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

THpoohbear
04-13-2013, 12:43 PM
I just heard that Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, and Soarin' have all been closed today by OSHA. I haven't been able to dig up any other information.

Anyone have news on this?

THpoohbear
04-13-2013, 12:44 PM
With Big Thunder down, this closes all of Disneyland's headliner attractions at the same time with the exception of Indy. Wow.

zombie pirate
04-13-2013, 12:51 PM
That doesnt make for a good day at the park.

THpoohbear
04-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Definitely not. I was wishing I was there today. Not anymore. :)

Malcon10t
04-13-2013, 01:15 PM
We are here. It started with soarin listed as down and then all the others were listed as down. Soarin was having a paper airplane contest.

THpoohbear
04-13-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm seeing reports that Splash is open. Was it closed at all today?

josephbandrews
04-13-2013, 01:27 PM
It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to remedy...especially after all the injuries caused by accidents on BTMR last year. It seems like they are always way more strict with regs in Cali than they are at Walt Disney World. They have always been more gestapo with the ride heights and such--at least in my experience.

My niece rode Splash at WDW when she was 4 and borderline tall enough. 6 months later they wouldn't let her on Grizzly River Run even though her hair was touching the top.

Malcon10t
04-13-2013, 02:00 PM
Splash is running. Space and Matterhorn are down.

Era mermaid is down

3Princesses1Prince
04-13-2013, 03:06 PM
It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to remedy...especially after all the injuries caused by accidents on BTMR last year. It seems like they are always way more strict with regs in Cali than they are at Walt Disney World. They have always been more gestapo with the ride heights and such--at least in my experience.

My niece rode Splash at WDW when she was 4 and borderline tall enough. 6 months later they wouldn't let her on Grizzly River Run even though her hair was touching the top.

GRR is 42" min....a full 2" more than Splash's min.

Malcon10t
04-13-2013, 03:24 PM
It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to remedy...especially after all the injuries caused by accidents on BTMR last year. Can you clarify this? I was not aware of multiple injury accidents on Big Thunder in the past year.

Kuzcofan
04-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Found a link of violations:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/citations/The_Walt_Disney_Company_DBA_Disneyland_Resort_%20I MIS_315531715.pdf

Drince88
04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Found a link of violations:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/citations/The_Walt_Disney_Company_DBA_Disneyland_Resort_%20I MIS_315531715.pdf

I don't see why any of those would have caused an attraction to be closed.

candles71
04-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Cal Osha has always been more stringent.

Her hair was touching huh. Would that be all her hair piled on top and touching?

JunJunM3
04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
This is highly unfortunate. Hopefully Disney makes some quick fixes to satisfy OSHA and get these beloved attractions up and running soon. On the other hand, I feel that if OSHA has a much wider reach, there would be handrails along the exterior of the Pyramids of Giza.

josephbandrews
04-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Can you clarify this? I was not aware of multiple injury accidents on Big Thunder in the past year.

I think there were at least 3 incidents in 2012 of trains coming into the station and colliding with trains parked at the loading area. The latest of which sent people to area hospitals.

I never heard more about it and probably no more severe than a little whiplash. It prompted a major overhaul of the sensors and PLCs during the current closure from what I remember reading...but its been a while.

josephbandrews
04-13-2013, 09:32 PM
GRR is 42" min....a full 2" more than Splash's min.

That makes sense. I still see the CMs double and tripple check the questionable throughout the queue at DL and rarely see that on Rockin Roller Coaster or the mountains in Florida. Could just be my perception, but my brothers and friends had noticed it too.

Malcon10t
04-13-2013, 09:52 PM
I think there were at least 3 incidents in 2012 of trains coming into the station and colliding with trains parked at the loading area. The latest of which sent people to area hospitals.

I never heard more about it and probably no more severe than a little whiplash. It prompted a major overhaul of the sensors and PLCs during the current closure from what I remember reading...but its been a while.I can't find any records of this. Can you point me in the right direction?

josephbandrews
04-13-2013, 09:56 PM
I can't find any records of this. Can you point me in the right direction?

I was actually just searching and all I can find was much older and several others from DL Paris. I was thinking it was a story on Mouse Planet, but I can't find it. I don't use any of the others really, but maybe it was on national news. I'll keep looking...

josephbandrews
04-13-2013, 10:00 PM
I can't find any records of this. Can you point me in the right direction?

Maybe they were further back than I remember...2012 flew by. Here is a couple of them, but I specifically remember reading about an incoming train colliding with a parked train.

http://themeparks.about.com/cs/disneyparks/a/disneyaccident.htm

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/10/new-accident-at-dlp-big-thunder.html

cstephens
04-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Maybe they were further back than I remember...2012 flew by. Here is a couple of them, but I specifically remember reading about an incoming train colliding with a parked train.

http://themeparks.about.com/cs/disneyparks/a/disneyaccident.htm

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2011/10/new-accident-at-dlp-big-thunder.html

I do remember the one incident when an incoming train collided with a train in the station. But like Malcon10t, I don't remember it happening multiple times.

Note, however, that the second link you listed is about an accident that happened at the Big Thunder Railroad in Disneyland *Paris*, not Disneyland in Anaheim.

tea4two
04-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Another board posted this explanation: "April 13, 2013: DOSH Closes Disneyland Attractions For Safety Violations: Three E Ticket attractions at the Disneyland Resort have been suddenly closed this weekend. The Matterhorn, Space Mountain and Soarin' Over California are now closed indefinitely, after state DOSH investigators on Friday disciplined Disneyland for the accident last November where an outside contractor cleaning the Space Mountain roof slipped and was slightly injured. The closed attractions all have at least one backstage area that don't meet the state requirement of harnessed fall protection for any employee walkway with more than a 30 inch drop opposite a hand rail. Disneyland is rushing to find quick fixes for these backstage areas this weekend to satisfy DOSH, and several other E Tickets were delayed in opening by several hours Saturday morning for inspections. The rest of the Anaheim attractions will be inspected for DOSH compliance in the next few days, and more temporary closures are possible."

bumblebeeonarose
04-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Oh, bother!
I feel bad for anyone visiting this weekend. No one likes having rides down, but to have three of the coasters closed (and BTMRR out of commission) suddenly could make for a lot of grumpy visitors.

MidwayManiac
04-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Matterhorn is open

MidwayManiac
04-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Space Mountain is not open

MidwayManiac
04-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately, Autopia remains open.