PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks

Pages : [1] 2 3

Arjay
04-11-2013, 04:38 PM
At the Starbucks in DCA last week waiting to place order when an employee started through the line with a computerized ordering tool. If you were paying with a credit card, she would take your order and payment and you could proceed to the pickup window. Those of us paying cash had to wait for a window to open so that we could actually place our order. How is this fair? I registered a complaint at guest services and also went on line to the Disney web site. The response was "sorry, but so what". Does anybody else think that this is unfair?

candles71
04-11-2013, 04:46 PM
No, not really. I think it is an awesome idea. It will make the line go faster for everyone.

3Princesses1Prince
04-11-2013, 04:51 PM
No, not really. I think it is an awesome idea. It will make the line go faster for everyone.

Agreed. And as I tell my kids....life's not fair.

bumblebeeonarose
04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Our Walmart recently updated the self checkout. On one side you can use any form of payment (except gift cards don't work at any self checkout for some reason). On the other side it is CARDS only. Works for me as I always use my credit card to earn points. This causes a line of people wanting to use cash. I never have to wait anymore though! Cards are faster, cash takes more time, even when using a self checkout machine.

candles71
04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Agreed. And as I tell my kids....life's not fair.
To quote one of my favorite people : you want fair go to Pomona.

bennette
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Hmm. Disney provides new service to speed a popular line.

With the addition of a second order taker, everyone benefits, if not to the same extent.

First world problems.

zombie pirate
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
I for one think its unfair, and I would sue for at least $8000.

But I guess in a Disneyland enviroment you have to move them right along or that line might get out on Main Street and cause a traffic jam. Does anyone else think that Starbucks is way overpriced? Im not a coffee drinker so I wouldnt know a good cup of coffee from a diet coke.

bennette
04-11-2013, 05:44 PM
But I guess in a Disneyland enviroment you have to move them right along or that line might get out on Main Street and cause a traffic jam.

I think we'd have a serious problem if a store in DCA backed up all the way to Main Street. ;)

zombie pirate
04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
AHHHHHHH, were is the Starbucks located at? I was thinking it was a store on Main Street inside of Disneyland?:geek:

ogold72
04-11-2013, 05:51 PM
If you were made to wait longer for your order than someone behind you relative to how long you would have waited had no one in front of you gotten pulled out of line, then yes.

However, thats an unknowable time, so I cant say its unfair. You may be getting your coffee quicker because there are fewer people in line in front of you since they have now been taken out of the queue.

Sansarc
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Can you pay with a debit card?

bumblebeeonarose
04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
AHHHHHHH, were is the Starbucks located at? I was thinking it was a store on Main Street inside of Disneyland?:geek:

Starbucks is located in DCA on Buena Vista street. A Starbucks will be built inside Disneyland this year.

pixar
04-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Hmm. Disney provides new service to speed a popular line.

With the addition of a second order taker, everyone benefits, if not to the same extent.

First world problems.

Unless there's more people making drinks, or the drink makers are suddenly more efficient, I can see the whole process taking longer for the cash payers.

bennette
04-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Unless there's more people making drinks, or the drink makers are suddenly more efficient, I can see the whole process taking longer for the cash payers.

Oh, I'm pretty sure half the time spent in any Disney food line is caused by people who wait until they get to the register to figure out their order.

"Honey OMG this is a Starbucks! Do you want a latte?"

"What is a latte?"

"It's a really good coffee drink with FLAVORS!"

"What are the flavors?"

"Miss, what are the flavors?"

{CM graciously points at GIANT sign.}

"They have cinnamon, vanilla, mint, sugar-free vanilla..."

"Gaaaaaaack!" {Thunk}

"OMG, honey what was that?"

"I think the lady behind you just poked her eye out."

"Oh. Do you have the credit card? I think I left my wallet in the locker. Oh wait, they have PUMPKIN!"

I am one hundred percent certain an extra CM to help with orders has to be moving things along to some extent.

3Princesses1Prince
04-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Oh, I'm pretty sure half the time spent in any Disney food line is caused by people who wait until they get to the register to figure out their order.

"What is a latte?"

"What are the flavors?"

"Gaaaaaaack!" {Thunk}

"Oh. Do you have the credit card? I think I left my wallet in the locker. Oh wait, they have PUMPKIN!"

I am one hundred percent certain an extra CM to help with orders has to be moving things along to some extent.

Wow! You were in that line too?!?

bennette
04-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Wow! You were in that line too?!?

I actually rarely eat quick service at the parks. I've only got the one eye. Can't risk it!

pixar
04-11-2013, 11:04 PM

"What is a latte?"

"What are the flavors?"

"Gaaaaaaack!" {Thunk}

Sure you have people who are clueless but my point was about cash and non-cash payers. I've been there a few times in the morning and each time I've had to wait for the drink makers (sorry I'm sure they have titles that's escaping me right now) to make my drink. That's where the bottleneck is. If we're assuming credit payers get to that point first, it means cash payers will have a longer wait.

I'm a credit card user (I almost never use cash), so I can see this benefiting me. I'm just pointing out the cash payers' argument.

tea4two
04-12-2013, 12:07 AM
I think this is an improvement in the "fairness" department. The last time we ate at FF&P, there were CMs with the electronic tablets, but they could only help guests who were ordering Starbucks items only. If any guest wanted Starbucks items plus even just one Disney food item, that guest had to wait to order at the register. Did that policy give an advantage to Starbucks-only guests? It did shorten the line somewhat by moving out the Starbucks-only customers. At least this new policy is open to anyone who orders Starbucks items, Disney items, or both, as long as the order is paid for with a card.

candles71
04-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Tea, did you notice if gift cards could be used? That is one way if so, just put your cash on a gift card for the day.

ogold72
04-12-2013, 07:00 AM
Sure you have people who are clueless but my point was about cash and non-cash payers. I've been there a few times in the morning and each time I've had to wait for the drink makers (sorry I'm sure they have titles that's escaping me right now) to make my drink. That's where the bottleneck is. If we're assuming credit payers get to that point first, it means cash payers will have a longer wait.

I'm a credit card user (I almost never use cash), so I can see this benefiting me. I'm just pointing out the cash payers' argument.

I used to do time process management and there may be several bottlenecks or delays.

The Baristas will not be able to make your beverage faster (because of this new procedure). Thats a fixed time. What can be sped up is how quickly those orders come to the Baristas (delay) and how quickly the customer can get that order into the Barista (bottleneck in the form of the line) and complete the rest of the transaction (payment). If that can be done while in line, then it mitigates the ordering bottleneck.

It seems like the folks who will get the quickest service are the ones paying with a card and know exactly what they want upon getting in line.

lilfaeriebrat
04-12-2013, 07:43 AM
I've seen many stores and restaurants pull people from lines that are plastic paying customers. It seems to speed-up the time customer wait to pay but doesn't speed up the time it takes to make the the product. Fair or not it's just a way to get people moving out of the line but it puts a bigger crowd at the counter waiting for their drinks.

UsBurchs
04-13-2013, 03:52 PM
I live in the land of Starbucks (Seattle - actually, Bothell, but I have four in a mile radius from my home) and I've never seen that system used up here at all. But then again, I have never waited more than five minutes in a Starbucks line, so maybe it's not an issue. I take that back. I waited in a 15 minute line in a Starbucks north of San Francisco once. THAT was irritating. But I agree. If you don't have additonal baristas, it's not going to help all THAT much. Actually, we usually have a barista asking us what drink we want, writing it on a cup and putting it in line. Then we go pay, and then we wait. Does it not work like that at DCA? I didn't actually go in last time we were there. Hmmmm . . . we'll have to see how this new system pans out.

candles71
04-13-2013, 04:46 PM
They function like our high traffic one does. The line splits and there are two barista stations, one for each side of the line. They have an assistant who makes the other drinks (like frappachinos) and stocks their milk and such. There is also an assistant who finishes (ie whipped cream, chocolate syrup, etc) puts the lid on and hands them out, but only one barista making the coffee drinks.
I waited in the line for about 30 minutes. But once I ordered I had my drink in hand in less than 5 minutes so she was keeping up quite well.

newhdplayer
04-15-2013, 08:34 PM
At the Starbucks in DCA last week waiting to place order when an employee started through the line with a computerized ordering tool. If you were paying with a credit card, she would take your order and payment and you could proceed to the pickup window. Those of us paying cash had to wait for a window to open so that we could actually place our order. How is this fair? I registered a complaint at guest services and also went on line to the Disney web site. The response was "sorry, but so what". Does anybody else think that this is unfair?
no

MidwayManiac
04-15-2013, 08:45 PM
no

lol.

The poor OP. Talk about a thread blowing up in one's face. Check that. Two threads.

ETA: I just saw your response in the other thread and laughed even harder. http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?195308-Lines&p=1794593&viewfull=1#post1794593 Too funny