PDA

View Full Version : Planes: The perfect opportunity to update Soarin' Over California?

Pages : [1] 2

Smorri
04-03-2013, 09:22 AM
I was just watching the new teaser for Planes (here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Td97IIdjzTA)) and it struck me that this would be the perfect opportunity for a much needed (IMHO) update to California Soaring. It would tie in an older (but still good) attraction with their current cash cow Carsland. Anyone agree?

To be honest I would miss California Soaring Classic, but a Super HD animated version would be cool too.

ogold72
04-03-2013, 10:24 AM
I dont know if its time for a new theme, but I could definitely use an upgrade to the graphics, with the proliferation of HD, i would think they could make the visuals a lot better. It reminds me of the viewing quality of the old projectors big screens they had at a local pizza joint where I grew up in the early '90s. Yeah, the picture was big but everything was fuzzy.

cstephens
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
To be honest I would miss California Soaring Classic, but a Super HD animated version would be cool too.

I haven't seen the "Planes" trailer yet because I like to see them on the big screen first, but I would be completely against an animated version of an updated Soarin'. Part of why I love Soarin' is that the images are real. And as much as I love Cars Land, I don't think DCA needs yet another Cars-ified attraction.

olegc
04-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I love Carsland. I love Soarin'. I don't want to see them married. I am also not one of those who feel there is a complete Pixar-ification of DCA but it does come close - and really its only because those are the current most popular characters.

I am with cstephens on the reality-focus. The idea itself is not just to experience flight - but to see so many sights around California. And - in a glider that means floating with a little bit of speed - not like a plane. And - frankly - I would not want to have a voice track from one of the characters of Planes in my ear telling me what I am looking at.

The beauty of Soarin' - as with Pirates and Haunted Mansion - is that the ride is so repeatable because there is no linear story. THere is just being in a place (and/or time) and experiencing things around you. That's what makes it really special. Not identifying the attractions with targeted characters is a big plus (look at how low the attendance is on Mermaid in DCA - and that's a new ride). I think the whole Sparrow/Barbosa overlay hype has given way back to the experience of the entire attraction and these are simply part of it - mainly I think because they are not the prime focus but they were added in a spot here and there.

Frankly I think Planes will not be as much of a hit as Cars was - so instantly creating an attraction for it may not be such a good idea. I do agree with improving the quality of the film. If its an Imax-style presentation you'd think they could improve the projections.

I do want to say to the OP that no doubt someone at Disney is thinking the same thing - where to plug in Planes. I just hope its not inside Soarin'. Maybe the pre-flight spiel or the outside decoration (though patrick warburton is outstanding).

carolinakid
04-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Soarin' could use continual updates but they must be live-action scenic shots. I'd love to see other parts of the USA and world.

olegc
04-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Soarin' could use continual updates but they must be live-action scenic shots. I'd love to see other parts of the USA and world.

BTW - I had wanted to add that this is the fallacy of "movie" based rides. The sales pitch internally is that they cost less to update because its a movie. The reality is, of course, a lot different.

Smorri
04-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "animated" in my original post. 'CGI' might be more correct.

I agree with most of the sentiments above and I enjoy the ride a lot just the way it is. Still, I've been hoping for a HD upgrade to California Soaring for a long time.

So I'm conflicted. I think a CGI flight through the skies of 'Planes' followed by a swoop through Radiator Springs and the surrounding landscape, with a swing through Andy's room with Buzz flying alongside... would be pretty cool too. :D

oregontraveler
04-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "animated" in my original post. 'CGI' might be more correct.

I would throw 'animated' and CGI in the same lot. A new film needs to be live action.

cstephens
04-03-2013, 12:27 PM
So I'm conflicted. I think a CGI flight through the skies of 'Planes' followed by a swoop through Radiator Springs and the surrounding landscape, with a swing through Andy's room with Buzz flying alongside... would be pretty cool too. :D

I don't want to swoop over Radiator Springs when I can go outside and WALK RIGHT THROUGH IT. And if I want to see Andy's room, I can go on Toy Story Midway Mania. I just don't want a repeat of an experience that I can see on another ride/land.

I would throw 'animated' and CGI in the same lot. A new film needs to be live action.

Totally agree.

candles71
04-03-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't want to swoop over Radiator Springs when I can go outside and WALK RIGHT THROUGH IT. And if I want to see Andy's room, I can go on Toy Story Midway Mania. I just don't want a repeat of an experience that I can see on another ride/land.

Totally agree.

THis! I love Soarin' as much as I love Pirates. I don't want an animated (hand drawn or CGI) movie.

TTFN92
04-03-2013, 01:53 PM
I hope not. Soarin' needs to be what it is. I wouldn't mind if they had a new film with other places in the US but it needs to keep the same aesthetic. Not everything needs a movie tie-in. I love how peaceful that ride is. If it was animated that would be lost.

DisneyManders
04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Soarin' cost a TON of money to shoot the first time, which is probably why they haven't updated it. They had to use special cameras and equipment. The screens also cost a ton to replace.

My sister said that in Epcot, Soarin' is one of the most beloved rides. People LOVE that ride down there. :)

danyoung
04-03-2013, 03:18 PM
I've been hoping for a HD upgrade to California Soaring for a long time.

Sorry for this, but I'm a picky guy. It's not "California Soaring" - it's "Soarin' Over California". In Florida it's just called "Soarin'", cuz they're hoping we're too stupid to notice that all the locations are in California . . .

Smorri
04-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Sorry for this, but I'm a picky guy. It's not "California Soaring" - it's "Soarin' Over California". In Florida it's just called "Soarin'", cuz they're hoping we're too stupid to notice that all the locations are in California . . .

Sorry everyone, I was typing off the top of my head :)

danyoung
04-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Not a problem - I'm picky, but I'm really a nice guy! ;)

AnotherJenny
04-03-2013, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't mind if they wanted to add a preview for Planes, like they've done for other movies at Muppet*Vision 3D, but I wouldn't want the whole attraction to be animated or themed to specific characters.

Sleeping Beauty's mom
04-03-2013, 07:28 PM
another who agrees its gotta stay Soarin', where else can you see Disneyland all lite up at Christmas time without actually being there ?
Love seeing the sights of this great state!!

MickeyDogMom
04-04-2013, 06:49 AM
I would like to see a better quality video but it has to stay "Soarin' Over California." Soaring of Pixar would not even be close. I know it's a bit biased of me but really... all I want to see is California.

sjhanksaz
04-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Keep Soaring and perhaps add the other one in a screen or two. Just don't re-theme the whole ride

potzbie
04-04-2013, 11:29 AM
There are lots of classic California icons which were not represented in the current ("original") SOARIN'.
• Coit Tower
• Dodger Stadium or Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
• Sunset Boulevard
• San Jacinto (Palm Springs, the one with the funicular)

There is no reason for the Disney suits to not create SOARIN' 2.0.

FreshBakedDisney
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
As much as I dislike Soarin, I think I would dislike it even more if they tried to force PLANES on us there. Not every attraction needs a tie-in. It's better without one.

danyoung
04-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Wow - there's somebody out there that dislikes Soarin'? Why?

shna
04-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I know people who don't like it either because they are very afraid of heights or because it triggers motion sickness.

I think it would be nifty if they could film more segments for Soarin' & then put them together in random order so you'd always have a different experience -- kind of like the Star Tours concept (with the various permutations of the scenes).

cstephens
04-05-2013, 11:25 AM
I think it would be nifty if they could film more segments for Soarin' & then put them together in random order so you'd always have a different experience -- kind of like the Star Tours concept (with the various permutations of the scenes).

I'd think that would wreck havoc on the soundtrack though.

FreshBakedDisney
04-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I know people who don't like it either because they are very afraid of heights or because it triggers motion sickness.

I don't like simulators in general, but the whole setting and effect of Soarin just doesn't work for me. I think I'm too logical in that sense, and I'm unable to put reality aside. To me, I see a giant metal contraption that lifts you in the air and in front of a screen. I don't for a second believe I'm flying, or feel like I'm flying. It feels...contrived. The scenes are too many and too short. I think the show would be better if it rotated a single setting for a longer period of time, to allow oneself to buy in to the experience more. The fact that I can instantly go from Napa to Yosemite detracts from the illusion.