PDA

View Full Version : Should alcohol be available at the Disney Theme Parks?

Pages : [1] 2 3

fairytalelover
08-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Alcohol is currently not available at DL. However, it is available at DCA. Personally I do not think alcohol should be served at DL or DCA. I feel that these are venues filled with little children everywhere and we do not need drunk people roaming around. I am mostly worried about those who cannot handle their alcohol and will become bellligerant and obnoxious or they may get sick off of the rides and throw up. I just do not think that it would be appropriate to have this type of adult entertainment at Disneyland or DCA. Downtown Disney currently has alcohol available and if anybody would like to have a drink can leave the parks and walk over there. What do you think? Should alcohol be served at Disney theme parks or not?:)

cstephens
08-22-2003, 11:14 AM
I can't remember - is alcohol served inside any of the four WDW parks?

GREGOR
08-22-2003, 11:15 AM
DLP serves alcohol (wine).

Mommy2NicknMax
08-22-2003, 11:18 AM
My personal opinion on this subject is that they should not serve alcohol. I know the majority wouldn't abuse it but then it only takes one person to spoil it for everyone.

It's just to much of a family place for that risk.

Crystal

Bill Catherall
08-22-2003, 11:39 AM
And people could easily come into the park drunk or even smuggle in their own booze. Not selling alcohol isn't going to prevent the problems you foresee (which don't really even seem to be a problem). I think the way DCA is handling it is fine. It could be worse. I've been to other amusement parks that sell huge, and I mean HUGE cups of beer and people are seen carrying them all around the park in various states of inebriation.

mystycalchyk
08-22-2003, 11:46 AM
I for one do not want alcohol available at Disneyland (course it is already available to Club 33 guests, but thats a rich horse of a different colour)
I recall being shocked to see people staggering around with HUGE things full of beer at Epcot. Most notably around Great Britain and the Canadian areas. HUGE...what are they called?.....sheesh I dont know, but they are about 2 feet long, thin with a bigger bowl-y area on the bottom.

innerSpaceman
08-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Alcohol service in Downtown Disney and in the Grand Cal is in such close proximity to the parks that I don't think it matters much any more whether or not they sell it inside the actual theme parks.

Since alcohol service began in DCA, I have never witnessed any sort of problem from drunk folks. And frankly, I don't know that the ready availability of alcohol at the Resort makes for that many more enebriated people anyway. It was always possible for folks to smuggle in booze or drugs if they wanted to experience Disneyland in an altered state of consciousness - - I've done it myself hundreds of times.

I say start serving up the booze inside Disneyland. In fact, while it's serving no other purpose, I think they should temporarily transform all of tomorrowland into a dance club, with booze and pacifiers for sale.

(By the way, at DisneyWorld, alcohol is served at Epcot and at the Disney-MGM Studios Park)

cemeinke
08-22-2003, 11:53 AM
They already serve alcohol there at Club 33. THey also serve alcohol at private events at the park, some of which overlap regular park hours.

I'm curious to hear if there have been any problems at DCA which serves alcohol. It seems that with DTD right outside the gates, anyone who wants it will get it anyway. I suppose the high cost at the park helps prevent abuse, at least from the lower income demographic.

Anthony
08-22-2003, 11:55 AM
Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't see alcohol as a huge potential problem if served at any venue. I really don't see people going to DLR, so they can get drunk and act like morons. If that is the case, these are the people that are already sneaking in booze and doing it anyway.

For frame of reference, I am all about the family experience and kids having a safe and calm experience, but I don't see how serving cocktails to adults would cause the chaos and disorder that we can imagine. Alcohol, like any other substance, can be misused and abused, but the majority of people know how to have a drink and play nice. Again, the people that would want to go to DLR and get hammered are dumb teens, alcoholics, or otherwise morons.

The rest of the world seems to do okay with alcohol at any venue. Museums, sporting venues, movie theaters, etc etc. I think parents should be more concerned with taking their children to sporting events where some idiot who is one cheeseburger away from a MI or a stroke is cussing and acting rude, all without the assistance of alcohol. Also, let’s lump wresting and other REALLY bad examples for kids as bad influences. Let’s get real; there are a ton other places and causes of misbehavior.

For all intents and purposes, alcohol is already at the parks. I can drink my body weight at DCH, and then stumble into the parks. Is the issue that you do not wish to view people drinking? Maybe they could have a designated alcohol area, away from everyone? I am not passionate about this issue, but I really don't see the downfall of any venue being serving alcohol vs. not. In fact, it would raise a lot more money for the parks then lemonade..

Respectfully,

Anthony

Captain Josh
08-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

I say start serving up the booze inside Disneyland. In fact, while it's serving no other purpose, I think they should temporarily transform all of tomorrowland into a dance club, with booze and pacifiers for sale.

(By the way, at DisneyWorld, alcohol is served at Epcot and at the Disney-MGM Studios Park)

Then I wouldn't feel so bad when the band strikes up "Dancing with Myself", and have it actually be true.

cryan71
08-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Alcohol at DCA should be mandatory. Its the only way this park makes any sense.

millionairegirl
08-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Alcohol for everyone!

Ok, seriously, I like having alcohol at DCA. Actually, I wish there were more places there where it were available (Rita's blenders are horrible!). I have never seen people out of control there or causing problems. However, I don't think they should have it at DL for traditions sake.

Epcot, MGM, and AK all serve alcohol. I think Epcot probably had it because of all the sit down restaurants they have, and then it was just accepted that MGM and AK would have it as well. I think it makes for a more enjoyable experience.

merlinjones
08-22-2003, 12:58 PM
You really only need to serve alcohol in Disney parks that one must numb one's self to enjoy (or forget), like DCA. It's a county fair type experience.

Otherwise, a simple trip to the hotel bar can relax one suitably for the intrinsically escapist, relaxing venture such as Disneyland.

cstephens
08-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
You really only need to serve alcohol in Disney parks that one must numb one's self to enjoy (or forget)

So since Epcot, Disney-MGM and DLP also apparently serve alcohol, you're saying that one needs to be numbed to enjoy those parks as well?

JeffG
08-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
By the way, at DisneyWorld, alcohol is served at Epcot and at the Disney-MGM Studios Park

I'm pretty sure that alcohol is also available at a couple of the Animal Kingdom restaurants. The Magic Kingdom definitely is alcohol-free.

-Jeff

fairytalelover
08-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Disneyland and all the other Disney parks are entertaining enough without the need to use alcohol. If anyone wants a drink they dont have to walk that far to get at Downtown Disney after leaving the park. I really wouldn't want to turn DL into another Six Flaggs. They used to serve alcohol. I believe they stopped because of all of the problems. But, then look at the crowd at Six Flagg's. I wouldn't want that kind of crowd at DL. I think introducing alcohol might attract some wilder, rowdier people. DL is a family place with more than enough things to do without the need to drink alcohol. I think that there is a time and a place for everything. And DL is not the place.

Captain Josh
08-22-2003, 03:04 PM
If you really wanted to "control" the alcohol situation, management *could* implement the wristbands you see at County Fairs.

fairytalelover
08-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
If you really wanted to "control" the alcohol situation, management *could* implement the wristbands you see at County Fairs.
That is a good point. However I am not that worried about under-aged kids drinking, since I assumed that they would check id when selling anyway. I am more worried about the 21-26ish year olds. Not that I am putting anybody with that age down. I used to be that age too. But, I am just saying that the younger people sometimes tend to over-indulge and get out of control.....I know I did.:D

millionairegirl
08-22-2003, 03:14 PM
I really enjoy the 'adult' atmosphere at DCA, Epcot, and MGM. A big part of this atmosphere is the ability to have a glass of wine with dinner, drink a beer while watching a band play, or sip a mixed drink while people watching from the Cove Bar. I have never seen this affecting the childrens' enjoyment of the park, and I have never seen anybody get out of control. I say leave DL and the MK alcohol free, but leave the other parks alone!

Captain Josh
08-22-2003, 03:17 PM
I think it is safe to say that the alcohol does not affect most visitors' experiences. To be perfectly honest, I've never actually witnessed anyone getting out of hand due to drunkeness. And, frankly if something isn't broken, don't fix it. Walt said he didn't want alcohol in his park, except for his executive club...(more or less), so done, and done. Have another Mint Julep, without bourbon, or walk across and have a beer...nothing wrong with that.

And about the wristbands. They indicate drinking age, but as some places, they limit you to two drinks a day, using the wristbands as a gauge. Not sure how, I'm not old enough to drink. ;)

fairytalelover
08-22-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by millionairegirl
I really enjoy the 'adult' atmosphere at DCA, Epcot, and MGM. A big part of this atmosphere is the ability to have a glass of wine with dinner, drink a beer while watching a band play, or sip a mixed drink while people watching from the Cove Bar. I have never seen this affecting the childrens' enjoyment of the park, and I have never seen anybody get out of control. I say leave DL and the MK alcohol free, but leave the other parks alone!

That's my point exactly......alcohol creates an "adult atmosphere". Disneyland is not supposed to have an adult atomosphere.

millionairegirl
08-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
That's my point exactly......alcohol creates an "adult atmosphere". Disneyland is not supposed to have an adult atomosphere.

I'm not talking about Disneyland, I'm talking about the other parks. Have you been to WDW? Epcot has an extremely adult atmosphere, as does MGM. Pleasure Island is an 'adults only' venue. Disney is not just for the kiddies.

Are you also saying that the Disney Hotels should not serve Pina Coladas by the pools since the pools are frequented by children?

Anthony
08-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Ok, point of clarification. Alcohol is vastly different then ohh, lets say heroin, amphetamines, or opiates. It seems like some people are considering alcohol to be this mind-bending substance that will cause the ordinarily gentle choir boys to go insane and cause a ruckus. Reality check, alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, not a psychotic. We all know people who seem to behave poorly when they drink a large amount of alcohol, but I would say they are idiots anyway.

The fact of the matter is, alcohol is not a problem at the park. I know this because it HAS been in the park for a while now, and most people don't even know it. I also find it a bit insulting that at club 33, it was never a problem for the super-rich and privileged, but it is a scary proposition to let it loose on the common folks.

If a guest is acting like a complete tool, then they need to be bounced out, regardless if they are drinking, or just naturally annoying.

I also do not see how having alcohol more readily available would change the entire park dynamic so that it no longer has a family feel to it. That is lost on me. Alcohol is just another beverage choice, that is it. Coke, sprite, bud light... Whatever. It is silly to think that just because alcohol is available at the park, people are going to go nuts and want to get lit. This isn't freshmen year of high school where for many; it is their first exposure to alcohol. I would imagine you might have a guest at DLR who would enjoy one beer with lunch, and that is it. End of story. It is interesting to note that many cardiologists are now prescribing one glass of wine per day for patients dealing with cardiac issues.

Just something to think about.

Anthony
08-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by fairytalelover

Uhmm, let's see ANY child pay for DLR on their own, or even buy lunch or goodies....That alone makes it an adult atmosphere.. I would think that the park IS an adult atmosphere kind of place, last time I checked, all those kids aren't driving themselves to the park.. I think the saying is 'young at heart'

fairytalelover
08-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by millionairegirl
I'm not talking about Disneyland, I'm talking about the other parks. Have you been to WDW? Epcot has an extremely adult atmosphere, as does MGM. Pleasure Island is an 'adults only' venue. Disney is not just for the kiddies.

Are you also saying that the Disney Hotels should not serve Pina Coladas by the pools since the pools are frequented by children?

No I am only against alcohol inside the park. That is it. I beleive it would ruin the image Walt created. DL is all about fairy tales and childhood. I just dont think it would be appropriate.