PDA

View Full Version : Should single-rider lines be used by groups?

cryan71
08-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Since I usually attend Disneyland alone, I say definately not.

DonaldDuck14
08-22-2003, 08:00 AM
i totally agree...i mean if its u and a friend i don't think its a problem but when u have those 6 or more people groups, then it becomes a problem because they are usually tourists or people who never heard of the service until now and they get all confused and stir up problems. Like this one time i wanted to on grizzly river run (im alone at the time) and a group of 8 kids and a chaperone (those day camps) wanted 8 single rider passes. So the CM ended up telling them that the wait was over 30 mins. long and couldn't pass out anymore....B.S. !! i just got off the ride and there were 2 people in that line. so anyways i couldn't go on and when i left i heard some of the kids that managed to get passes started saying "ok u will sit with me by the edge and you can sit in the middle" and all i did was laugh when they realize the chances of them being in a raft together is very slim! so to those of you who go in big groups..stick to fastpasses, because i don't think single rider and 8 memeber groups should mix.

millionairegirl
08-22-2003, 08:00 AM
I say they should be used by groups. Here's what I posted in another thread about it:

Even if he's with a group of 50 people, it should not matter. Single rider lines make loading more efficient, and should make lines move faster. Single rider lines also insure that there are no empty seats on such high demand rides as Splash and Indy, they do not exist to give a benefit to solo travelers. Groups trade off using the mostly faster single rider line for riding together, which for on a ride like Indy, I don't think is necessary at all.

I'm glad you started this thread, this topic has bothered me for along time. I don't understand why people feel groups should not use the single rider line. At ski resorts some of the lifts have single rider lines, and they are for anyone who is willing to ride with strangers and be separated from their group. Really, I don't Disney was trying to market to the solo traveling market when they added these.

As long as the people using the single rider line understand they will not ride with their group, it's fine. Although half the time I end up with my party in the same vehicle anyway.

cstephens
08-22-2003, 08:14 AM
I don't see a problem with groups using the single rider line as long as they understand that you are treated as a single rider, so don't complain that you can't sit with your friends. Yes, Disneyland is a place to be social, and if I were riding Pirates, it's fun to have friends along, but if it's something like Space, it doesn't matter all that much if I'm sitting with my group because we don't normally talk to each other during the course of the ride. We're more likely to talk about it after the ride.

cryan71
08-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by millionairegirl

Even if he's with a group of 50 people, it should not matter. Single rider lines make loading more efficient

Yeah, but the physical construct of a single rider line isn't designed to handle groups. Imagine if ten groups of 6 entered the Indy single rider line. There would be mass confusion on the loading platform as they wouldn't be able to fit into the line.

Mass confusion!

Cats and Dogs living together.

Chaos would reign!

Just stay out of the single rider lines. They were made so people who go alone to the park feel better about themselves because they have no friends.

adriennek
08-22-2003, 09:01 AM
I recently used single rider at Soarin'. It would've been almost faster to stand in the regular line by the time I got in. The sign said the wait was about 40 minutes. I think it took me 25 minutes to get through single rider. For about 10 - 15 minutes they didn't take a single person out of the single rider line.

My point is, let's say that 50 people actually get in the single rider line. If they got in the regular line, they would get to stand and ride together. If they stand in the single rider line, it could take 30 to 50 rides cycles to get their group through the line! Meanwhile, part of the group is waiting inside the queue and part outside. No one can really do anything until the group is finished riding...

And a ride like Soarin' has two rooms to funnel their lines through two sides of the queue, but only one room has the single rider line. At some point, the single rider line becomes counter-productive for a large group, IMO.

Adrienne

cryan71
08-22-2003, 09:07 AM
If you flirt with the CM, they let you right in.

millionairegirl
08-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by cryan71
If you flirt with the CM, they let you right in.

Actually this did happen to us once. We weren't intentionally flirting, but we went up to the Soarin' cast member to ask about single rider line, and he gave us front of the line passes, and a wink! Hee!

Another time on Splash the guy gave my sister and I the two front seats even though we were single riders. hmmm. No wink though.

Cadaverous Pallor
08-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by cryan71
Yeah, but the physical construct of a single rider line isn't designed to handle groups. Imagine if ten groups of 6 entered the Indy single rider line.But see, they wouldn't. That's the great thing about single rider - most of the time, big groups are not going to want to split up anyway. Especially since the rides that they put single rider on are experiences you want to do with friends, like GRR. It's much more efficient to pack them in, too. And the line for single rider is never very long, because ten groups of 6 don't do this.

Just stay out of the single rider lines. They were made so people who go alone to the park feel better about themselves because they have no friends. That's untrue. I agree with millionaregirl - they were made to make lines shorter. The trade off is simple, ride alone quickly or ride with friends slowly. Aren't you being a bit possessive here? And if getting on a ride quickly is a substitute for friendship... :rolleyes: BTW, if you need friends to go with, meet up with Padders....I know at least one that used to go alone with headphones all the time...now he doesn't have to. :)

Originally posted by DonaldDuck14
Like this one time i wanted to on grizzly river run (im alone at the time) and a group of 8 kids and a chaperone (those day camps) wanted 8 single rider passes. So the CM ended up telling them that the wait was over 30 mins. long and couldn't pass out anymore... I think the CM was in the wrong. It's only 9 people - there are plenty of empty spots in GRR. Why do you think the CM withheld the passes? It doesn't make sense to me.

Cadaverous Pallor
08-22-2003, 09:14 AM
I was posting while this was posted...

Originally posted by adriennek
My point is, let's say that 50 people actually get in the single rider line. If they got in the regular line, they would get to stand and ride together. If they stand in the single rider line, it could take 30 to 50 rides cycles to get their group through the line! Meanwhile, part of the group is waiting inside the queue and part outside. No one can really do anything until the group is finished riding...This is a really good point! Bullseye! :)

dshimel
08-22-2003, 09:18 AM
So, let me get this straight. People that go to DL alone should have an oppertunity for a short wait that people going with more than one other person doesn't get? No WAY!

If I go with 6 people, and we don't mind riding in separate cars/logs/whatever, we have just as much right to single rider as anyone else.

Now, DisLand may want to limit how many people they let in to single rider over a time period. So, 2 of us go in now, 3 more 5 minutes form now, and 1 5 minutes after that. Fine. But I'm going to have my group stand there in a bunch until we're let in.

The purpose of single rider is to fill up the 5 person log when parties of 3 and 4 keep arriving at the loading station. Or fill up that extra seat in the Jeep when the loader can't get the numbers to work out.

It isn't a special privelage to those touring DisLand by themself or with only one firiend. And, 90% of the time I go, I'm alone or with only one other person.

cryan71
08-22-2003, 09:26 AM
That's untrue. I agree with millionaregirl - they were made to make lines shorter. The trade off is simple, ride alone quickly or ride with friends slowly. Aren't you being a bit possessive here? And if getting on a ride quickly is a substitute for friendship...

Okay, humor escapes you, I get it.

BTW, if you need friends to go with, meet up with Padders....I know at least one that used to go alone with headphones all the time...now he doesn't have to.

Yeah, standing around at noon at the hub for an hour trying to figure out where to eat is ... ummm ....fun.

I think they should put a single rider line on The Materhorn, that way you get real cozy with a stranger. And just to clarify, the single rider would have to sit in the lap section of another rider.

millionairegirl
08-22-2003, 09:52 AM
From what I heard Mission Space at Epcot has three queues. One for stand by, one for FP, and one for single riders. Interesting, since the pods fit 4 people. I wonder if when SpaceMountain is reopened there will be a separate single rider queue. I've also heard that when Indy goes down for rehab next spring (winter?) they will make the queues less awkward.

Icy Bacon
08-22-2003, 09:53 AM
I personally wouldn't care that much if single rider lines got almost as long as regular stand-by lines. It would still mean the ride is being run at full capacity and that's better for everyone all around. If a huge group got in the single rider line I probably wouldn't mind too much as long as they didn't create any problems.

tod
08-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Either wait in line (or with a FastPass) so you can go in a group, together.

OR

Go single-rider and just experience the ride.

Weight the options and take your choice.

For example, the little tods and I will single-ride Grizzly River but we prefer to share Big Thunder and the Matterhorn.

--T
:fez:

Tigertail777
08-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Not easy to answer this one... but personally I think they should limit the single rider to just a single rider... meaning if you are in a group fine, but you better realize only one person is going to get on per CAR in the single rider line. This would discourage people that are trying to abuse the system, and bypassing FP and the regular line. Its really the only fair way to work single rider, I have seen so many stressed CM's trying to tell groups of people using single rider that they may have to break their group up, and then having those people go nuts on the CM over it until they cry and fuss like children until they get their own way.

Groups are fine as long as you are fully willing to have them broken up into whatever amounts per ride car at the CM's discretion. And really as I said before, the only equatable way to handle this is only one person allowed per car from the single rider line... then the CM doesnt have to put up with people whining things like: " no fair! you let the family before us have 3 people on their car!" Because those kind of people are not going to listen to a resonable explanation like: " well that car had 3 empty spaces that needed filling regardless of who it would have been, there just happened to be 3 people together in line at that time ---lucky them... now this car only needs 2 extra people...sorry".

I love single rider, and we have used it as a group and it didnt bother me in the least we were split up in 3 seperate cars... I kinda figured the term "single rider" explained it all. If it hadn't been for single rider I would have never been able to see splash this last visit---we waited in line over an hour on two seperate occassions and both times the ride broke down. At least with single rider we got to see the ride, and heck we were in cars right in front of each other which was a neat luck of the draw... but even if we still couldnt see each other I still would have been very pleased because we actually got on the ride!:D

I would have been very sad if I had to wait another 5-10 years to ride splash (thats approximately how often we make it to DL... too tight of a budget for more than that.)