PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror in the L.A. Times ...

Tref
08-21-2003, 04:16 PM
... sort of. Check the HOME section, front cover. Recognise the building? It is none other then the castle Disney is "borrowing" from to build its DCA ride, right down to the dome top.

For those of you who don't get the LA paper, check the internet. Its called, Castle Green and its located in Pasadena. The Moorish structure was designed by Frederick L. Roehrig in 1898 as a luxury Winter resort.

The article makes no mention of Disney, which only means the writer didn't do her homework. There is no doubt that the picture shown is what we will see at DCA next year.

tod
08-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Tref
The article makes no mention of Disney, which only means the writer didn't do her homework. There is no doubt that the picture shown is what we will see at DCA next year.

Come off it. There is no requirement that a writer find DERIVATIVE buildings when writing about an original.

--T
journalist in real life

mousey_girl
08-21-2003, 05:13 PM
I see only a vague resemblance... If you look hard enough you may find a lot of buildings from the same era with similarities to ToT.

Tref
08-21-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally writ' by cub reporter tod
Come off it. There is no requirement that a writer find DERIVATIVE buildings when writing about an original.

--T
journalist in real life

Make that journalist with chip on his shoulder in real life.

tod
08-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Make that journalist with chip on his shoulder in real life ...

I find your contention — that your observation that the building in Pasadena bears a resemblance to a building under construction, at a theme park, in another county, some 30 miles away means that "the writer didn't do her homework" — offensive. The story is supposed to be about the building in question, not some knockoff.

I'd go along with "missed opportunity," but I think you're being a bit too Disneyland-centric here.

--T
:fez:

Tref
08-21-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by reporter at large tod
I find your contention — that your observation that the building in Pasadena bears a resemblance to a building under construction, at a theme park, in another county, some 30 miles away means that "the writer didn't do her homework" — offensive. The story is supposed to be about the building in question, not some knockoff.

I'd go along with "missed opportunity," but I think you're being a bit too Disneyland-centric here.

--T
:fez:

How dare you find my contention offensive. I have never been so insulted! I demand an apology forthwith! And not only an apology but a retraction in your newspaper! My contentions have been lauded in your newspaper -- often under your own by-line, as some of the very best, contentively speaking. Frederick L. Roehrig must be turning in his grave!

tod
08-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Tref, after taking a dip of snuff from the silver box concealed up his lace-trimmed sleeve
How dare you find my contention offensive. I have never been so insulted!

You should have seen what I took out before I posted it, buddy.
:D
--T

newhdplayer
08-21-2003, 07:05 PM
... sort of. Check the HOME section, front cover. Recognise the building? It is none other then the castle Disney is "borrowing" from to build its DCA ride, right down to the dome top.

For those of you who don't get the LA paper, check the internet. Its called, Castle Green and its located in Pasadena. The Moorish structure was designed by Frederick L. Roehrig in 1898 as a luxury Winter resort.

It really doesn't matter, since the ride is going to suck anyway...

I mean, it's in DCA, special effects have been left out, implausible elevator motion, lack of themeing and integration...

Did I miss anything?

CaliforniaCrazy
08-21-2003, 07:45 PM
People suck that think a ride is going to suck before they even ride it.... ;)

Besides, just because a reporter doesn't even mention a certain ride as the basis for a building which might not even be true is no reason to insult that reporter for 'not doing their homework'. Actually I have read that the Tower of Terror is a combination of many buildings in California, including the LA City Hall.

newhdplayer
08-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by CaliforniaCrazy
People suck that think a ride is going to suck before they even ride it....;)

I was just reflecting some opinions found on this board. apparently my attempt at S A R C A S M was misunderstood.

Maybe I should have used these to indicate such:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Captain Josh
08-21-2003, 07:51 PM
As the popular kids say, don't be hatin'.

I just find this idle banter back and forth to be tedious, and out of place. I don't see the need for an argument here. Opinions are opinions.

(okay, I'm just bored, my post made no real sense. Oh, and I like Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle references, any day.)

CaliforniaCrazy
08-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
I was just reflecting some opinions found on this board. apparently my attempt at S A R C A S M was misunderstood.

Maybe I should have used these to indicate such:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My dad always used to say, "Don't attempt to do something, just do something." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sheila
08-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Ha! You're all wrong! (Sort of.) ;)

If you drive northbound on the Hollywood Freeway near the Gower exit, you'll notice a classic apartment building on the right (on the south side of Franklin Avenue). My memory fails me right now, but I believe the word "tower" is in the sign for this building.

I've heard more than once that this building may have prompted the initial design of the TZTOT hotel. It's equally as gorgeous on the inside, as I had a friend who lived there once upon a time....

I wish I could find a link to the picture for this building. :(

But, as others have noted, the TZTOT probably is an amalgam of many of the classic apartment/hotel buildings in the Hollywood area, like the one most notably at Crescent Heights and Fountain.

Sheila

CaliforniaCrazy
08-21-2003, 10:53 PM
It's the Hollywood Tower.

Tref
08-22-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
As the popular kids say, don't be hatin'.

I just find this idle banter back and forth to be tedious, and out of place. I don't see the need for an argument here. Opinions are opinions.

Idle bantor? Tedious? Who are you, Oscar Wilde? Sorry if we can't always be up to your standards of repartee.