PDA

View Full Version : Toys from Disneyland

TTFN92
03-22-2013, 07:54 AM
My son bought a Woody doll when we went in January and it already quit talking. It actually quit and then started again later that day then a couple weeks ago quit for good. I just don't think that is very long for a toy to work. I was wondering if anyone knew if they would replace it even if we don't have a receipt. What is their policy on this kind of thing? He is just so sad that it doesn't talk anymore and keeps giving it to me to fix. It's kind of expensive so we can't just go buy a new one. TIA.

currence
03-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Without a receipt I think you are probably out of luck. I was at Guest Relations for a different issue when a woman came in with a clearly broken Disney purchase-with-purchase backpack but no receipt. She was just asking for an exchange for a non-broken backpack and was told by a very polite CM that although he would call the World of Disney store on her behalf, he did not think that they would accommodate her without a receipt. From what I could tell, the store had already told her no, which was why she was trying to escalate it to Guest Relations.

I agree that two months is too short for a Disney (or any other) toy to stop working.

I get that Disney is probably trying to minimize their losses, but Target and other stores I shop at have the ability to look up receipts using the credit card that the purchase was paid with. I would think that Disney should be able to do the same if they are going to have a hard line on returns yet apparently they don't.

cstephens
03-22-2013, 09:43 AM
My son bought a Woody doll when we went in January and it already quit talking. It actually quit and then started again later that day then a couple weeks ago quit for good. I just don't think that is very long for a toy to work. I was wondering if anyone knew if they would replace it even if we don't have a receipt. What is their policy on this kind of thing? He is just so sad that it doesn't talk anymore and keeps giving it to me to fix. It's kind of expensive so we can't just go buy a new one. TIA.

My suggestion would be to use the "contact us" link on the Disneyland website to send them a letter explaining your situation. Even without a receipt, it might help to include specific dates of your visit and when you probably bought the toy, as well as details of how the toy has malfunctioned, like you indicate above. I don't know that they would be able to help you, but they might. Good luck.

pixar
03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Is it a battery operated toy?

Malcon10t
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
My son bought a Woody doll when we went in January and it already quit talking. It actually quit and then started again later that day then a couple weeks ago quit for good. I just don't think that is very long for a toy to work. I was wondering if anyone knew if they would replace it even if we don't have a receipt. What is their policy on this kind of thing? He is just so sad that it doesn't talk anymore and keeps giving it to me to fix. It's kind of expensive so we can't just go buy a new one. TIA.It uses 3 button cell batteries. Maybe if you replace them?

MidwayManiac
03-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Hey it never hurts to ask. The response you get could be a matter of how polite you are, who you ask, their mood, how the stars are aligned, etc.

I can only speak for myself but I've never not been able to return an item to Disneyland. Sometimes a receipt is involved, sometimes not. To me they have a very liberal return policy a lot like Nordstrom's. Heck one time DS lost his beanie and one of the CM's was insisting we take a new one of theirs free of charge as a courtesy. (We didn't, btw). Anyway these are the types of things places like Disney - with several hundred percent markups on cheap Chinese plastic - can and will do far as replacement.
You may even take your item to City Hall. Maybe they'll issue you a voucher for its replacement.
I hope it works out if you attempt the return.

Shortpix77
03-22-2013, 03:03 PM
I think it really does depend on the CM you talk to, their mood, circumstances, etc. I've had widely varied experiences with returning things at DLR. I once returned two ear headbands (with tags still attached) three months after the return window had expired. I didn't expect to be able to return them, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask. The CM scoffed at the return window and said that was meant to keep people from returning seasonal items.

On the other end of the spectrum, I had a CM refuse to return a brand new pin in perfect condition on its card because I was two days past the return window (I had the receipt with me too). No possibility for store credit or exchange, nothing.

For the most part Disney tries to be accommodating, but there is a lack of consistency in many areas. I think if you're polite about it and explain your situation clearly, they will at least offer some sort of recourse (hopefully!)

cstephens
03-22-2013, 03:27 PM
On the other end of the spectrum, I had a CM refuse to return a brand new pin in perfect condition on its card because I was two days past the return window (I had the receipt with me too). No possibility for store credit or exchange, nothing.

I think that's a casualty of the pin sharks that existed in the past. Not sure if they still do. The pin sharks would buy dozens or more of the same pin on new release day, hoping to sell them at a considerable mark-up on ebay or elsewhere. The pin would then be sold out to whomever would have wanted to buy the pin for themselves. Whatever the pin sharks couldn't sell in a certain amount of time, they'd then return. I think the return window was implemented to combat that.

TTFN92
03-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Is it a battery operated toy?
No. It has a pull string.

TTFN92
03-22-2013, 07:48 PM
My son bought a Woody doll when we went in January and it already quit talking. It actually quit and then started again later that day then a couple weeks ago quit for good. I just don't think that is very long for a toy to work. I was wondering if anyone knew if they would replace it even if we don't have a receipt. What is their policy on this kind of thing? He is just so sad that it doesn't talk anymore and keeps giving it to me to fix. It's kind of expensive so we can't just go buy a new one. TIA.It uses 3 button cell batteries. Maybe if you replace them?
There isn't a way to get into it as it is completely sewn shut. Plus it's just a pull string.

Malcon10t
03-22-2013, 07:51 PM
There isn't a way to get into it as it is completely sewn shut. Plus it's just a pull string.

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Toy_Story_&_Beyond_Pull_String_Woody.pdf

TTFN92
03-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will call and ask. It can't hurt. And if I don't I will always wonder if it would have. Unfortunately I think it does depend on who you get and what mood they are in. Fingers crossed I get a happy CM.

Speaking of DL merchandise, does anyone know what the numbers are for on everything and why they started putting them on. They are kind of annoying and ugly to look at. On the bottom of Woody's foot, the one that doesn't say Andy, there is a long number. I also bought a keychain that had it. I don't understand why it had to be printed on his foot. Why not the tag?

candles71
03-22-2013, 08:17 PM
You posted at almost the same time as Mal. She linked the PDF instructions for it.

ogold72
03-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I think I will call and ask. It can't hurt. And if I don't I will always wonder if it would have. Unfortunately I think it does depend on who you get and what mood they are in. Fingers crossed I get a happy CM.

Speaking of DL merchandise, does anyone know what the numbers are for on everything and why they started putting them on. They are kind of annoying and ugly to look at. On the bottom of Woody's foot, the one that doesn't say Andy, there is a long number. I also bought a keychain that had it. I don't understand why it had to be printed on his foot. Why not the tag?

With the proliferation of knock-offs, this may be a way to track which items are authentic or not

TTFN92
03-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Thank you for letting me know it took batteries! I never would have guessed. I really thought it was the old style pull string that didn't take batteries and they hid the opening very well. I actually had a hard time getting the velcro open. We will be heading to Target to get some new batteries and I think I will have a very happy boy. Crossing my fingers that's all that it is. His brother found a Peter Pan sword that has been in a toy box for many years and when I put new batteries in it still didn't work :(. But it is fun to see our 2 yr. old playing with it. They actually found quite a few toys and other things that belonged to my son that passed away. It makes me happy to see them being loved again. One thing is a hat that he got from WDW when we went in '07. He loved that hat and now my youngest is loving it too.

TTFN92
03-23-2013, 09:16 PM
New batteries didn't work :(. Guess Ill be calling DL.

candles71
03-24-2013, 10:02 AM
That is great about his toys being loved again. :)

TTFN92
04-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I finally got around to calling Disneyland and they are going to replace Woody :). I just have to mail it back first. If I still had my receipt then they would have just sent us a new one but since I don't I have to send it back. It could take a month though but at least he'll have one that works. I'm wondering if it will really take that long or is that just what they have to say? My son will be so happy when he talks again :).

ogold72
04-06-2013, 06:49 AM
I finally got around to calling Disneyland and they are going to replace Woody :). I just have to mail it back first. If I still had my receipt then they would have just sent us a new one but since I don't I have to send it back. It could take a month though but at least he'll have one that works. I'm wondering if it will really take that long or is that just what they have to say? My son will be so happy when he talks again :).

Glad Disney made this right for you!